Sox' New GM: Scott Boras

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

Sox' New GM: Scott Boras

Why not? He's making the key decisions.

According to today's Massarotti column, he wanted to move Bogey to second so Drew could play short. Looks like the Sox had a better idea. For Drew, not for Bogaerts.

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/massarotti/2014/07/have_red_sox_mishandled_bogaer.html?p1=Topopage:Carousel_sub_headline

Have Red Sox Mishandled Bogaerts?

Xander Bogaerts is reeling. And I’ve decided that the Red Sox and Scott Boras are to blame because they both made the same mistake.

They undermined a supremely talented, respectful and level-headed young who should have been a priority for both.

Sure, the Red Sox hit the universally-acclaimed rock bottom last night in a 16-9, series-sweeping defeat to the woeful Chicago Cubs – is that redundant? – but many people already regard the present to be a lost cause. What is at stake now may be the future. Xander Bogaerts went hitless again in an 0-for-4 performance that featured two more strikeouts, the second of which resulted when, as NESN analyst Jerry Remy wisely remarked, a mentally spinning Bogaerts locked up and took a fastball right down the Pike.

Coming soon to your local bookstore: From Frozen Ropes to Frozen Stares – How to Mess With Your Best Prospect in Years in One Easy Step. (The Xander Bogaerts Story.)

Here’s the math, folks: when Stephew Drew walked into the clubhouse at Progressive Field on June 2, Bogaerts was batting .296 with an .816 OPS. Those numbers climbed briefly over the next two days – he peaked at .304 and .859 on June 4 – but Bogaerts has since been in the kind of spin that would make an Air Force pilot vomit. Overall, since Drew showed up, Bogaerts is hitting a microscopic .131 with a .422 OPS. In 106 plate appearances, he has 28 strikeouts, 13 hits and just four walks. Some of that is the result of an increasingly passive approach that seemingly has Bogaerts down 0-2 every time he steps into the batter’s box, though far more worrisome is the mindset that may be leading to it.

Bogaerts looks timid. Like he’s lost confidence.

Quite frankly, he’s a mental case right now.

Of course, who could blame him? A year ago, according to a Sunday notebook item by Nick Cafardo, Boras was suggesting to the Red Sox that Bogaerts be moved to second base so that the club could accommodate both Bogaerts and Drew, both of whom are Boras clients. (Shockingly, Dustin Pedroia is not.) This year, after mishandling Drew during the free-agent season, Boras sent Drew back to Boston, partially at the expense of Bogaerts, who got bounced to third.

And people want to say that agents don’t have conflicts of interest? Please.

But if I were Boras on that one, I’d have made the development of Bogaerts as the priority.

Still, most of the burden obviously falls on the Red Sox, whose acquisition of Drew looks dumber and dumber by the day. On the one hand, the Sox committed $10 million to someone whose immediate impact has been a .136 average, .356 OPS and 19 strikeouts (against just nine hits) in 19 games. On the other, they played head games with a 21-year-old phenom who is arguably the best prospect they have had in a nearly generation.

Drew has been impotent offensively, to the point where the Red Sox sat him last night against the Cubs. The Sox have further faded from contention. And now Bogaerts is starting to look like a bat-wielding version of Daniel Bard, whom the Sox turned from a borderline Fireman of the Year candidate into Rick Ankiel.

All of which brings us to this: either some of these Sox prospects have been overhyped – which seems highly unlikely in the case of the bright, gifted, well-mannered Bogaerts – or the Sox have to take a hard look at their player development operation and what they are (or are not) doing for these kids when they reach the major leagues.

Again, my apologies, but Mookie Betts is being rushed. In retrospect, Jackie Bradley probably was last year, too. The same may be true of Will Middlebrooks in 2012. All of three of those players spent less time at Triple-A than Bogaerts did before being summoned to the major leagues for the first time, and one can’t help but wonder if the Red Sox are unwisely trading the long term for the short.

For Bogaerts, the stakes are obviously greater. Entering this season, he was regarded among the bluest of the blue-chip prospects in all of baseball, someone who possesses the strength, size, ability, smarts and makeup to be a superstar. He was as close to a can’t-miss prospect as the red Sox have had in some time. The Red Sox are now halfway through Bogaerts first full season and the youngster is missing far more than he is hitting, and it may be time for everyone from the Sox trip of John Henry, Tom Werner and Larry Lucchino to general manager Ben Cherington and manager John Farrell to start asking a very simple question.

If a can’t-miss kid misses, is it his fault … or yours?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Sox' New GM: Scott Boras

Mazz is a know-nothing clown.

If Bogaerts was that messed up about the Drew signing and being moved to third, wouldn't he have started slumping back in mid-May when Drew's signing was announced?  Instead of that he was red-hot for the first few weeks after that and some people were saying he was motivated by it.

Bogaerts is likely just going through the type of slump a 21-year old rookie is bound to experience.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Bogaerts was that messed up about the Drew signing and being moved to third, wouldn't he have started slumping back in mid-May when Drew's signing was announced?  Instead of that he was red-hot for the first few weeks after that and some people were saying he was motivated by it.

Bogaerts is likely just going through the type of slump a 21-year old rookie is bound to experience.

[/QUOTE]

Come on now, HFX...

If it's just a slump, there's no one to blame.

Mazz and the rest of the "say anything to get a reaction" crowd understand this.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

All that was needed to make today worse was....a Mazz column!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

This entire argument is predicated on the completely false - though oft-decried - assumption that Bogaerts was moved to third to make room for Drew.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I’m reluctant to lay blame, but if forced to I would blame Tony Massarotti and other media commentators for overhyping Xander Bogaerts, a talented but young and developing player. Even amid Bogaerts’ current struggles, Massarotti can’t resist writing that Bogaerts “was regarded among the bluest of the blue-chip prospects in all of baseball, someone who possesses the strength, size, ability, smarts and makeup to be a superstar. He was as close to a can’t-miss prospect as the red Sox have had in some time.”

Judging from the top-ranked prospects over the past decade, no player is a “can’t –miss prospect.” Let’s hope Bogaerts figures it out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This entire argument is predicated on the completely false - though oft-decried - assumption that Bogaerts was moved to third to make room for Drew.

[/QUOTE]

Space, isnt this what they did last year? how is this false? 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RigatoniT. Show RigatoniT's posts

If Middledove had played to his ability...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I’m reluctant to lay blame, but if forced to I would blame Tony Massarotti and other media commentators for overhyping Xander Bogaerts, a talented but young and developing player. Even amid Bogaerts’ current struggles, Massarotti can’t resist writing that Bogaerts “was regarded among the bluest of the blue-chip prospects in all of baseball, someone who possesses the strength, size, ability, smarts and makeup to be a superstar. He was as close to a can’t-miss prospect as the red Sox have had in some time.”

Judging from the top-ranked prospects over the past decade, no player is a “can’t –miss prospect.” Let’s hope Bogaerts figures it out.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Hill, there is such a big difference between top prospects in baseball and those in other sports.  the learning curve is soooo much greater at the top level.  The Mike Trouts of the world are once in a generation.  Even the very best guys have to get seasoned in the minors and then take a year or two of lumps in the bigs before they really find their stride.  i don't think Xander was over-hyped.  He is barely legal.  He started really hitting.  The league adjusted, figured out his weakness.  Now he has to adjust again and he is struggling with it.  this is par for the course, even for the great ones.  I know expectation can get skewed, especially on this esteemed boards, as people tend to think that some kid lighting up Pawtucket or Portland is going to come up and light it up on Landsdowne.  The jump to the bigs is really hard.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Hill, there is such a big difference between top prospects in baseball and those in other sports.  the learning curve is soooo much greater at the top level.  The Mike Trouts of the world are once in a generation.  Even the very best guys have to get seasoned in the minors and then take a year or two of lumps in the bigs before they really find their stride.  i don't think Xander was over-hyped.  He is barely legal.  He started really hitting.  The league adjusted, figured out his weakness.  Now he has to adjust again and he is struggling with it.  this is par for the course, even for the great ones.  I know expectation can get skewed, especially on this esteemed boards, as people tend to think that some kid lighting up Pawtucket or Portland is going to come up and light it up on Landsdowne.  The jump to the bigs is really hard.

Thanks for the response.

Overhyping is by no means limited to Xander Bogaerts. The Seattle Mariners this season have played four hitters who in 2010 were ranked among Baseball America's Top 20 prospects (and five hitters among the Top 30), yet not one has locked down an everyday role at the MLB level.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBruinss. Show BostonBruinss's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus's comment:

Thanks for the response.

Overhyping is by no means limited to Xander Bogaerts. The Seattle Mariners this season have played four hitters who in 2010 were ranked among Baseball America's Top 20 prospects (and five hitters among the Top 30), yet not one has been an All Star.

[/QUOTE]

those damn prospects are hard to predict for sure. Where the bleep is Middlebrooks this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Space, isnt this what they did last year? how is this false? 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

OK, lets parce out these two separate issues.  Last year was not the same thing, of course.  They had predetermined, right or wrong, that Iggy wasn't show-ready at the plate and/or Xander was a year away and a stop gap measure was needed.  A bridge if you will.  Enter your favorite player, JD, er, Stevie Drew.

OK, thats last year.

This year, lets parce it out ... again.  Before Drew was lured off of Boras' cozy "training" country club with millions of dollars - Xander was taking grounders at third.  Why?  Because Middlebrooks was MIA and then DOA and FUBAR.  There were no ready-for-prime-time internal options to play 3rd base in his stead.  And, just speculating, probably not many viable candidates for a full-time hot corner on the May trade block or sitting around their front porch waiting for a job.  So, the decision was made to move Xander to third, a position he had shown he was capable of playing in a most pressurized time last year.  Xander moving to third was the first move in this chain of events.  He was the only viable alternative, even if not an ideal situation, as an emergency replacement for Will the Ill.  Once that decision was made, it was necessary to find a fill-in for shortstop once Xander moved over.  Enter Drew again.  And, again, it wasn't that they were hot for Stephen's services.  He just happened to be sitting on his couch waiting for a job at a time when the team needed a shortsop to fill in for Xander, who was their choice to play third.  

True story.

I can't believe I still have to spell this out.  People are so into destroying the Drew signing that they can't even remember what happened less than 2 months ago that precipitated and necessitated that signing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Forget about everything that was said about Xander...how in the world can you blame the Boston Red Sox GM/Brass or anyone for Daniel Bard's complete meltdown? He was the one WHO WANTED TO BE A STARTER..He couldn't cut it there, he couldn't cut it as relief guy after that and his drop off the face of MLB is legendary. Bard is the blame there, no one else.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

without a doubt boras destroyed Manny in boston.

but he had zero to do with xander playing 3rd base this season.  that was WMB fault.

other names i have posted under:  none

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, Bogey's slump stands out because everyone around him is hitting.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

I believe the only time it was the RED SOX fault that a player didn't perform to expectations was Carl Crawford. How do I know? Because Crawful always says so when he's interviewed, so it must be true. Oh Carl, we miss you here in Boston; please come back.The SOX need a power hitting LF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

The ironic thing is that people have quickly forgotten how much freaking out there was about Xander's defense early on...go back to April/May and you will find a whole lot of "Bogaerts is not a shortstop, get him out of there!" posts.

I disagreed with that and thought, if the team saw him as the SS of the future, he should get at least a full season at that position.

Now, though, because he is in a slump, it is a major outrage that he was moved to 3B - two things that I don't buy are connected.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I believe the only time it was the RED SOX fault that a player didn't perform to expectations was Carl Crawford. How do I know? Because Crawful always says so when he's interviewed, so it must be true. Oh Carl, we miss you here in Boston; please come back.The SOX need a power hitting LF.

[/QUOTE]

CC was only paid $142 million by the organization, so I can see his dismay. It was the Sox jerking him around while he was on the DL, the manager didn't play him enough, the fans were cruel to him, and the big old bad media was harsh on the well-rounded, educated Tampa veteran. Never saw that coming, huh? Small media player, black, comes to Boston and is a complete failure. Good fit, huh?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

CC was only paid $142 million by the organization, so I can see his dismay. It was the Sox jerking him around while he was on the DL, the manager didn't play him enough, the fans were cruel to him, and the big old bad media was harsh on the well-rounded, educated Tampa veteran. Never saw that coming, huh? Small media player, black, comes to Boston and is a complete failure. Good fit, huh?

[/QUOTE]

Just another of Gorilla man's finer moments as GM of the SOX.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The ironic thing is that people have quickly forgotten how much freaking out there was about Xander's defense early on...go back to April/May and you will find a whole lot of "Bogaerts is not a shortstop, get him out of there!" posts.

I disagreed with that and thought, if the team saw him as the SS of the future, he should get at least a full season at that position.

Now, though, because he is in a slump, it is a major outrage that he was moved to 3B - two things that I don't buy are connected.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Bogey's comfort zone will be playing LF. Not this year, but hopefully next year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

So it sounds like everyone's given up on Bogaerts.

Why?

He was a lousy shortstop?

Confidence is no big deal? Everyone hates Massarotti? Everyone thinks Boras is smart? Everyone thinks Sox management is cool?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So it sounds like everyone's given up on Bogaerts.

Why?

He was a lousy shortstop?

Confidence is no big deal? Everyone hates Massarotti? Everyone thinks Boras is smart? Everyone thinks Sox management is cool? 

[/QUOTE]

I don't hate Mazz, I just think he's a lousy baseball writer.  And I have no idea where you're getting that 'everyone has given up on Bogaerts'.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If he knows nothing, why is he writing for the Globe and you are posting messages on his paper's forum?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ADG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he knows nothing, why is he writing for the Globe and you are posting messages on his paper's forum?

[/QUOTE]

Are you really trying to suggest that Tony Mazz's employment by the Globe proves that he's a knowledgeable baseball writer?

And yes, I think a lot of people who post here know baseball better than he does.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I was one of those people nut

but that's not to say that playing 3B instead of SS  didn't or couldn't wear on him

whether we agree or not

the stats certainly gives them the merit  to say it

ba 291 @ SS    131 @ 3B

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=bogaexa01&year=2014&t=b#defp