Sox new Manager?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Sox new Manager?

Alex Cora...

He's always been managerial material and someone players respect. He knows this roster and how to motivate the likes of Pedey and Beckett with the truth and some good humor. More importantly, after hearing him on WEEI today, he's seems to get it and will instill and environment of accountability back in the Sox clubhouse.

Like D. Mattingly & R. Ventura, the Sox might catch lightening in a bottle with Cora without having to dismatle the whole roster and start over. Plus, I think J. Cronin was only 29 when he took the reigns as Sox manager. I know Ventura paid some dues coaching in the minors and Mattingly benched for Torre but the Sox could always get some old, affable Don Zimmer type to be Cora's bench coach and help him out.

Then re-sign Ross, get rid of Beckett for 40 cents on the dollar, trade Ellsbury for a top pitcher (using Posednik as a bridge to Bradley), give Lackey one more shot at the end of the rotation, get rid of Aviles (using Ciriaco as a bridge to Inglesias or Boggearts, and this team my be likeable once again!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Sox new Manager?

In Response to Re: Sox new Manager?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sox new Manager? : Reverse the records of Beckett and Lester and the Sox are within 2 games of the Yankees. Then consider that 3 of those reversed games might have been against the Yankees and the Sox are a game ahead of the Yankees in the American League East. Think about when you want Valentine replaced..
    Posted by BOSOX1941[/QUOTE]

Here's why you have no credibility when it comes to the manager. Bobby V. has done stuff when it comes to in-game decisions and pitching changes that if Francona did it, you would have been on here blasting him. But you've been quiet about Bobby V.

Bobby V. has done stupid stuff that Francona never did. You might want to put down your Bobby V. pom-pons down for a minute and pay attention to the game.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Does it really matter who the manager is, these guys will quit on anybody.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]Jim Leyland
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Leyland only agreed to manage the Tigers because he was reunited with his old GM Dave Dombrowski, so I don't think he's going anywhere.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]The reality is that the cliche, "moving deck chairs on the Titanic" is what going for a 3rd manager for a 175 million payroll lead by the same player bums. Replacing Valentine won't make salad out of dung. Henry and Larry need to clean out some veteran player stalls.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]Not a Red Sox fan. Whiner.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I already mentioned Arnie Beyeler right?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Doesn't matter who the manager is if the core players remain intact expect more of the same from the end of august 2011 to what we have currenlty.
    Posted by bosbruins2011cup[/QUOTE]The one guy that needs to go is Larry Lucchino. As long as he stays the situation will never get better.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfan1967. Show soxfan1967's posts

2013 team needs:

Manager
    8 pitchers
    catcher
    SS
    LF

If you do this team will return to respectability.  If not seat at Fenway will be plentiful and cheap.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let me start by saying I DO believe Bobby V. is NOT the manager that this team needs.

Now with that said, does anyone seriously believe this would be a good team without him???? Is there a manager out there that would make Beckett pitch better? made Lester pitch better? made Buccholz pitch the way he has recently all year?  Made Doubront a stronger durable arm?  caused Ellsbury to not dislocate his shoulder and be the 30/100 guy he was last year?  made the Bullpen better? (yeah maybe he could of managed it better at times, but who really knows) 

the answers are NO.  The reality is this team stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT HEY!!!!!! lets look at the bright side, we will likely get a top 15 pick in next years draft....heck maybe we should start cheering for all the other basement teams to start winning so we can get a top 10 PICK!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!! (I need something to root for)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox new Manager? : The one guy that needs to go is Larry Lucchino. As long as he stays the situation will never get better.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Sox new Manager?:
    [QUOTE]Alex Cora... He's always been managerial material and someone players respect. He knows this roster and how to motivate the likes of Pedey and Beckett with the truth and some good humor. More importantly, after hearing him on WEEI today, he's seems to get it and will instill and environment of accountability back in the Sox clubhouse. Like D. Mattingly & R. Ventura, the Sox might catch lightening in a bottle with Cora without having to dismatle the whole roster and start over. Plus, I think J. Cronin was only 29 when he took the reigns as Sox manager. I know Ventura paid some dues coaching in the minors and Mattingly benched for Torre but the Sox could always get some old, affable Don Zimmer type to be Cora's bench coach and help him out. Then re-sign Ross, get rid of Beckett for 40 cents on the dollar, trade Ellsbury for a top pitcher (using Posednik as a bridge to Bradley), give Lackey one more shot at the end of the rotation, get rid of Aviles (using Ciriaco as a bridge to Inglesias or Boggearts, and this team my be likeable once again!
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

Also Bench coach VTec   Pitching coach Curt Shilling  1st Base coach. K. Millar 3rd base coach . Mike Lowell. Hell ,We could put Pedro as our bullpen coach.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox new Manager? : Also Bench coach VTec   Pitching coach Curt Shilling  1st Base coach. K. Millar 3rd base coach . Mike Lowell. Hell ,We could put Pedro as our bullpen coach.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Don't be an idiot...V-tek couldn't handle the media, Schill is a narcissist, Millar a goof, Pedro an airhead, and Lowell has shown little interest in managing right now but people have been talking about Cora being great managerial material for years now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox new Manager? : Don't be an idiot...V-tek couldn't handle the media, Schill is a narcissist, Millar a goof, Pedro an airhead, and Lowell has shown little interest in managing right now but people have been talking about Cora being great managerial material for years now.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

VTec can't handle media ,Shill a narcissist, Millar a goof ,Pedro an airhead.And nice guy Lowell..... Well i guess thats what type guys it took to win a World Series. Iguess we know it wasn't me being a IDIOT.......... Right IDIOT !!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Sox new Manager?:
    [QUOTE]Alex Cora... He's always been managerial material and someone players respect. He knows this roster and how to motivate the likes of Pedey and Beckett with the truth and some good humor. More importantly, after hearing him on WEEI today, he's seems to get it and will instill and environment of accountability back in the Sox clubhouse. Like D. Mattingly & R. Ventura, the Sox might catch lightening in a bottle with Cora without having to dismatle the whole roster and start over. Plus, I think J. Cronin was only 29 when he took the reigns as Sox manager. I know Ventura paid some dues coaching in the minors and Mattingly benched for Torre but the Sox could always get some old, affable Don Zimmer type to be Cora's bench coach and help him out. Then re-sign Ross, get rid of Beckett for 40 cents on the dollar, trade Ellsbury for a top pitcher (using Posednik as a bridge to Bradley), give Lackey one more shot at the end of the rotation, get rid of Aviles (using Ciriaco as a bridge to Inglesias or Boggearts, and this team my be likeable once again!
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

One amazing OP.

For starters, no one ever catches lightning in a bottle with a manager.  Players do all the pitching, hitting, fielding, and baserunning, and managers can only affect them at the margins.  Occasionally, granted, managers get lucky and the team gets hot. So maybe you are hoping Cora is just a very lucky guy.

You honestly don't think Pedroia is motivated?  His only problem is occasionally being overmotivated when he should be giving an injury time to heal.

Ross is worth keeping, but ain't the key to the offense. Posednick might be better except for the dingers.

Ellsbury is very unlikely to bring back a top pitcher.  If he were, the Sox would already have made that deal.  He's not having a good year, he's missed a lot of games in the last three seasons, including this one, he is a free agent after 2013, and his agent is Scott Boras.  Boras alone makes him semi-toxic. 

Aviles is hardly the problem. Nothing wrong with Ciriaco or Bogaerts or even Iglesias, but Aviles has been adequate this year. My guess is the Sox will trade Iglesias and wait for Bogaerts.  FWIW, I like both Iglesias and Ciriaco and would love to see Bogaerts.

If the Sox keep most of what they already have and get just one good frontline starter, they should be very likeable next year.  This is potentially a very good lineup:  Ells, CC, Pedroia, Ortiz,  AGon, Middlebrooks, Ross/Posednick, Lavarnway/Salty, and Ciriaco/Aviles/Iglesias. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox new Manager? :  VTec can't handle media ,Shill a narcissist, Millar a goof ,Pedro an airhead.And nice guy Lowell..... Well i guess thats what type guys it took to win a World Series. Iguess we know it wasn't me being a IDIOT.......... Right IDIOT !!!
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were a great group of idiots who broke the curse but we're talking about potential managerial material moron.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Again, I volunteered a few weeks ago.

I could at least talk to the assistant coaches to see if they had something to add before the season ends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Billy Bob Thornton.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox new Manager? : Yes, they were a great group of idiots who broke the curse but we're talking about potential managerial material moron.
    Posted by wfdog[/QUOTE]

Well why didn't the sox think of potential managerial material before the season started?  And before you  mention idiots and morons ,I would get another picture of you to put on this board. You got that combo look... both idiot and moron.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox new Manager? : Well why didn't the sox think of potential managerial material before the season started?  And before you  mention idiots and morons ,I would get another picture of you to put on this board. You got that combo look... both idiot and moron.
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]

What?! A more intelligent question would have been why did the Sox let go of Farrell if they knew they weren't going to extend Tito? It's obvious that the Sox FO decision making has been a hot mess the last couple of years, so now we're just trying to come up with possible solutions to correct the wrongs.

And if you think that's a pic of me, then you're a bigger idiot than I thought.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I kind of like Mike Sciosca.  LAA might be thinking along the same lines as BOS. Blow up the team.  Salary dump. New manager.

Has merit. Always liked Sciosca.

Also like Ron Gardehire, but he must love those temperate Minneapolis summers.  He aint going nowhere.

Sections
Shortcuts