sox non-tendered Atchison, Sweeney, Hill

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

sox non-tendered Atchison, Sweeney, Hill

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/american-league-non-tenders-1.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Re: sox non-tendered Atchison, Sweeney, Hill

I Will Not Miss Them....................

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Atchinson had a great season prior to injury, Hill when healthy has been lights out; be nice to keep them in the system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Baltimore Orioles have non-tendered righthanded slugger Mark Reynolds, who could provide a bookend with Will Middlebrooks at the corners of the Red Sox infield. Here are the 2013 Bill James Handbook projections for Reynolds and Middlebrooks:

MR 622 PA, .231/.336/.463/.799

WM 565 PA, .277/.316/.490/.806

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

The Red Sox did not tender contracts to righthander Scott Atchison, lefthander Rich Hill, and outfielder Ryan Sweeney. They are now free agents.

Atchison, 36, appeared in 42 games last season, posting a 1.58 ERA. He struck out 36 and had only six non-intentional walks in 51.1 innings. But Atchison also tore a ligament in his elbow in July and elected not to have surgery. He returned in September and pitched well in five games.

Atchison said he is open to going to spring training with the Red Sox on a minor league deal.

Hill, 32, appeared in relief in 25 games last season after returning from Tommy John surgery in April. He had a 1.83 ERA. Hill returned to the disabled list in June with a strained flexor tendon in his elbow and did not come back until September.

"I'm hopeful that this will be a positive for me. I felt like I pitched well last year and came back and showed I was healthy. There is usually a market for lefthanded relievers and I feel like I'm a major league pitcher," Hill said.

Hill was asked if he had spoken to the Red Sox about a minor league contract. He went that route last season.

"Not yet," he said. "We'll see what happens after the winter meetings. I'm sure we'll talk. I want to see what is available to me from any team."

Sweeney, 27, was limited to 63 games last season, making three trips to the disabled list in his first year with the Red Sox. He hit .260 with 16 RBIs and no home runs in 204 at-bats. His season ended on July 30 when he broke a knuckle on his left hand punching a metal door in frustration after making an out.

The Red Sox did offer deals to RHP Alfredo Aceves, RHP Andrew Bailey, RHP Daniel Bard, LHP Craig Breslow, OF Jacoby Ellsbury, LHP Andrew Miller, LHP Franklin Morales, and catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Twenty-two others players with less than three years of service time also were offered contracts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Sweeney should have punched Dice-K or Valentine instead of the medal door.  LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sweeney is the guy softy bashed me for wanting to trade this summer.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No, Sweeney is the guy who had no trade value this summer, and, at the time, the only OF'er who showed up for work and could field a lick.

[/QUOTE]

Actually he broke his hand at the trading deadline which prevent them from dealing him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Actually, we reportedly had a deal worked out before he broke his hand.

Actually, softy said we shouldn't trade him, not because he had no value, but because he called him "our best OF'er" at the time. It never ceases to amaze me how softy attempts to rewrite his own silly history.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Baltimore Orioles have non-tendered righthanded slugger Mark Reynolds, who could provide a bookend with Will Middlebrooks at the corners of the Red Sox infield. Here are the 2013 Bill James Handbook projections for Reynolds and Middlebrooks:

MR 622 PA, .231/.336/.463/.799

WM 565 PA, .277/.316/.490/.806

[/QUOTE]

I heard his defense was very good at 1b as well. Hes got a ton of K's, but can hit 40HR, especially if he plays 81 at Fenway. Id def consider MR.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Sweeney should leave his body to science because it needs to be studied how such a big guy can generate absolutely no power swinging the bat

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Pretty much expected. Look for RS to resign both Atchinson/Hill to minor league contracts. As for Sweeney - "See Ya" not something he did a lot of here.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

It struck me, reading the non-tender lists from all AL teams, that the Sox were the only team letting three bona fide major leaguers go.  Hill and Atchison both had ERAs under 2.00.  And their last few seasons have been better than league average.  Sweeney, though completely lacking power, is a good fielder who regularly hits above .260.  Not stellar, but better than most platoon OFers.

Meanwhile the Yanks, Tampa, Detroit, Texas, et al non-tender guys you've never heard of, did not know were on their roster, and have performed well below league averages.

I do realize that Atchison and Hill are both recovering from serious arm issues.  That said, I hope Hill and Atchison will be back in ST.  Be surprised, though, if no other team offers a ML deal for either.

Sweeney?  No big loss, just more evidence that Ben did not get fair value in return for Reddick.

As for Reynolds.  I would rather the Sox pick him up than go with Napoli, who is a clod at 1B and wants too many years, or Swisher, who will cost a draft pick and wants too many years AND too much dough (and was an absolute disaster in the post-season) OR LaRoche, who will cost a draft pick and wants too many year..  But, I've also read his defense is just ok.  Same article complained that he had just a .330 lifetime OBP.  Not that that is great, but it is a sign that he knows how to take a walk, and the Sox had quite a few guys in their lineup who would be looking up at that number.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sweeney, though completely lacking power, is a good fielder who regularly hits above .260.  Not stellar, but better than most platoon OFers.

Meanwhile the Yanks, Tampa, Detroit, Texas, et al non-tender guys you've never heard of, did not know were on their roster, and have performed well below league averages.

I do realize that Atchison and Hill are both recovering from serious arm issues.  That said, I hope Hill and Atchison will be back in ST.  Be surprised, though, if no other team offers a ML deal for either.

I'm not seeing a reason to pay $2M to Sweeney to play ahead of Nava and Kalish.

Same with Hill and Atchison.  We have 9 guys that pitched out of the BP last year with either more talent or more dependability.  Hill has 31.2 IPs over 3 years, and the lefties in front of him are Miller, Breslow, and Morales.  He'll get nowhere near the $1.1M he is estimated to get.  Atch I'd have inclined to keep, but maybe the arm MRIs are too bad to fork over $88k.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Morales is reportedly coming to ST to work as a starter, not that this means he WILL be one.  I hope Hill will be back.  Atchison is the one of the two that is most deserving of  a ML contract.  A MiL contract and invite is a bit of an insult, IME (in my estimation).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Reddick for Bailey and Sweeney.  *shaking my head*   :(

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/american-league-non-tenders-1.html

[/QUOTE]Hill should have been tendered.

The other two I couldn't care less about.