Sox/NYY will find it hard to rebuild

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Sox/NYY will find it hard to rebuild

Watching the current series may be a sign of things to come.

Some of what Theo and Cashman did over the past decade is no longer an option. I think the new rules and the money being more spread out will make another decade of 90+ wins for the rivals much less likely.

Changes:

1.  Without looking them all up I think the following list of players were obtained by going over-slot, IFA, signing a FA and then getting  picks when he walked, or trading for a veteran and getting picks when he walked.

Middlebrooks, Westmoreland, Bogaerts, Rizzo, JBJ, Iglesias, Ellsbury, Lowrie, Swihart, Owens, Bard, Barnes, Ranaudo, ...

(the rules have changed for all these options.)

2.  Almost all top players don't make it to FA.

3.  Roughly half of all clubs now have $100M payrolls, with national TV $ going way up.

4  Harder salary caps.

( side note: some low budget teams like Pitts were also going big for IFA.)

Overall it is great for baseball, I fell out of love with the NFL when FA meant homegrown stars went to bad teams for more money.  

Verlander, Posey, and Hernandez, Joey VottoEvan LongoriaIan Kinsler, David Wright, Cole Hamels, Matt Cain, Adam Wainwright, Madison Bumgarner, Adam Jones, Brandon Phillips, Carlos Santana, Miguel Montero, Paul Goldschmidt, Chris Sale, Yadier Molina, Matt Moore, and Andrus all inked long deals.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Sox/NYY will find it hard to rebuild

There are two solutions:

1. Both teams need to meet in the playoffs (it's been almost nine years since they last met in the playoffs)

2. Both teams need to start a brawl (e.g. Aceves hits Cano and both benches clear)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

One point in the Sox favor is that they only have 2 players (Lackey and Victorino) locked into huge deals beyond 2014.  And both expire after 2015.

And including Lackey is questionable, as he plays for the minimum that final year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I suppose I should include Buchholz as another big deal that goes beyond 2014....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

There are two solutions:

1. Both teams need to meet in the playoffs (it's been almost nine years since they last met in the playoffs)

2. Both teams need to start a brawl (e.g. Aceves hits Cano and both benches clear)

This would be funny.  Aceves hits Youk, Youk charges mound and then Pedey pops up from nowhere and starts throwing punches at Aceves.. LOL

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Great OP. Saw a recent article about less players waiting to go to FA. Also more wealthy owners buying smaller market teams. Changing demographics with population increasing in other parts of the country. New regional sports networks starting in more areas that bring in many $$$$. Steinbrenner becoming frugal. Changed revenue sharing rules.

Good points, Poster formerly known as Pike.  My question to you, is how well will the rivals spoiled fanbases handle big payrolls and 86 wins?

Did Theo force some rule changes?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

One point in the Sox favor is that they only have 2 players (Lackey and Victorino) locked into huge deals beyond 2014.  And both expire after 2015.

True Notin, I think the Sox farm and rookies are better at the moment too.  I am sure others who know more about the prospects than I will let us know.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Refreshing to watch Sox victory and in addition to Pedroia & Ellsbury, the major contributions were from the new guys !!! Living in the SF area I like the Giants too(49ers too so hate the Ravens as do the Patriots), and delighted watching the Fat Cat Beckett lose albeit Crawford got 3 hits and Punto  got 1 as a pinch hitter. The guy I like best among all of them, Gonzo, was 0-4 !!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

very solid post tom

bud selig is not getting the kudo's he deserves for helping

in the balance dept

I'm thinking

the more all things money even out

the more that nice LA weather comes into play for those few stud FA that do became FA

let's just hope those studs enjoy the more intense east coast fans/games

vs a more laid back west coast

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Good Post Tom.....the Cano signing of a deal with JayZ's new sports arm followed by Victor Cruz is another sign of changing times....Alot of athletes are going to head towards them and they seem to be on the "sign new long term deal" mindset rather than the Boras "go to Free Agency" mind set. More and more guys(especially) in the big markets, want to stay where they are and not chase the few extra dollars. The Sox and Yanks $ advantage may have been diminished a bit, but it still there, they will just need to manage their organizations and draft and development even better like all the small market teams have had to.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

Good Post Tom.....the Cano signing of a deal with JayZ's new sports arm followed by Victor Cruz is another sign of changing times....Alot of athletes are going to head towards them and they seem to be on the "sign new long term deal" mindset rather than the Boras "go to Free Agency" mind set. More and more guys(especially) in the big markets, want to stay where they are and not chase the few extra dollars. The Sox and Yanks $ advantage may have been diminished a bit, but it still there, they will just need to manage their organizations and draft and development even better like all the small market teams have had to.

I agree TomNev and maybe getting better picks by having 69 wins is the tonic.  I think I am right in saying the last power hitter drafted by the Sox or NYY was.....Lowell.  Picking at the end of the first round didn't help, when I looked at it before I think most of the stud power hitters at the moment were early picks.

Sections
Shortcuts