Re: Sox offer Salty a 2-year deal.

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to REBEL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to djcbuffum's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As reported by mlbtraderumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/red-sox-offer-saltalamacchia-two-year-deal.html

Since I'm confident that he can get three or more years elsewhere, this means to me that he's gone. The FO must know that; this has to be a formality just in case he'll give a home-town discount.

[/QUOTE]I THINK TWO YEARS WITH A VESTING OPTION 3RD YEAR, AND A MILLION ADDED TO EACH YEAR WOULD GET HIM!  AND, THAT WOULD BE CHEAPER THAN ANY ALTERNATIVE.

[/QUOTE]

I am nearly certain Salty is gone. We benched him when it counted most, so obviously he is not valued that highly by Sox management.

Personally, I think we should offer him:

2014: $9M

2015: $9M

2016: $9M

2017: $11M club option with a $3M buyout

That amounts to $30M/3 or $38M/4.

If one of our prospects proves he is ready, we can look to trade the 30 or 31 year old Salty.

[/QUOTE]

+1. Especially given what is out there and the fact that Salty knows the staff. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Salty is only 28 and it is a "young" 28 due to the fact that he has not caught a lot of games over his career. Catchers often hold value past age 34 or 36, so what is the fear about maybe trading Salty when he is 31 or 32? Teams will likely be beating down the door to trade for a 31-32 year old Salty with 1-2 years of team control.

3 years may not be enough to land him, so the choice is likely 4 years of Salty (with the rights to trade him) vs 2 years of Ruiz maybe at a higher luxury limit number. I hope McCann is not part of the equation.

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair enough proposal.  Honestly, I never think in terms of offering a longer deal with the intent of trading the player in the last years of the contract.  That is usually when the contract is worth more than the player.  But, Salty is young enough that it could work.

I don't think the FO will go 4 years though.  The fact that they didn't give him a QO, coupled with the initial 2 year offer and benching him in the WS, leads me to believe that they think there are better options, which is kind of surprising, since Salty already knows the staff.

I agree about McCann.  I like him, but his cost will be too high. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That's a fair enough proposal.  Honestly, I never think in terms of offering a longer deal with the intent of trading the player in the last years of the contract.  That is usually when the contract is worth more than the player.  But, Salty is young enough that it could work.

I'm not for signing him to a 4 year deal knowing we will trade him, but my point is more about the fact that the 3rd and 4th year shouldn't scare us. If a prospect proves he deserves to play, then we will not get stuck with year 3 and 4. Trading a 30 or 31 year old catcher should be very easy.

I don't think the FO will go 4 years though.  The fact that they didn't give him a QO, coupled with the initial 2 year offer and benching him in the WS, leads me to believe that they think there are better options, which is kind of surprising, since Salty already knows the staff.

Agreed. Another team will offer him 4 years.

I agree about McCann.  I like him, but his cost will be too high. 

Agreed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Sign McCann and get it over already. Have him and Ross behind the plate for 2014 with an eye on moving McCann to a 70/30 split between 1B/CA for 2015; Napoli style first-baseman for the next 5 seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sign McCann and get it over already. Have him and Ross behind the plate for 2014 with an eye on moving McCann to a 70/30 split between 1B/CA for 2015; Napoli style first-baseman for the next 5 seasons.

[/QUOTE]

He's not worth that kind of money as a 1Bman/DH.

Also, with the glut of young 3Bmen in our system, it might not be a bad idea to plan for one to slide over to 1B by 2015 or 2016 at the latest.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Phillies To Re-Sign Carlos Ruiz
    By Steve Adams [November 18 at 10:34am CST]
    Free agent catcher Carlos Ruiz will re-sign with the Phillies, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer tweets that Ruiz's contract will guarantee him $26MM over three years.

Ruiz, also known as "Chooch," is represented by agent Marc Kligman. The 34-year-old began the season with a 25-game suspension for amphetamine usage and was limited by a hamstring injury upon his return. As such, the .268/.320/.368 batting line produced by Ruiz doesn't tell the whole story of his season. Over the season's final two months, the Panamanian backstop slashed .288/.343/.444.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox were in the bidding for catcher Carlos Ruiz "to the end" until the Phillies offered a third year and a higher AAV, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark:

https://twitter.com/jaysonst

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox were in the bidding for catcher Carlos Ruiz "to the end" until the Phillies offered a third year and a higher AAV, according to ESPN's Jayson Stark:

https://twitter.com/jaysonst

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the Phillies got him, but hope it doesn't drive into overpaying for McCann.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

doesnt the Ruiz deal in his 35th, 36th and 37th years age with an annual AAV of $8.5 make Salty at 4 years with an annual AAV of $10 even more attractive?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

ruben amaro jr is a dope.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

doesnt the Ruiz deal in his 35th, 36th and 37th years age with an annual AAV of $8.5 make Salty at 4 years with an annual AAV of $10 even more attractive?

[/QUOTE]

You'd think so. Salty is just 28. He'll be 31 to start the 4th year of his deal: still prime.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

There is no more prime than 28-32.... it is the best time, prime time

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Following the 2004 season, the Red Sox signed Jason Varitek to a four-year, $40 million contract when the 32-year-old switch-hitting catcher was coming off a World Series title and a 4.1 WAR* season:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/12/24/sox_have_deal_to_keep_varitek/?page=full

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=217&position=C

Jarrod Saltamacchia is a 28-year-old switch-hitting catcher coming off a Word Series title and a 3.6 WAR** season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=5557&position=C

A 4.1 WAR season in 2004 was valued at $12.8 million while a 3.6 WAR season in 2013 was valued at $17.8 million, according to the WAR conversions at FanGraphs.

MLB salaries have gone up roughly 50 percent from Opening Day 2004 to Opening Day 2013 and are expected to spike this offseason with the influx of new television revenues.

A catcher's worth is difficult to measure because of intangibles -- such as the handling of a pitching staff -- that are hard to quantify.  

Nevertheless, Jarrod Saltalamacchia won't come cheap.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

** to be fair, Varitek had accumulated 11.9 WAR in the four seasons leading up to the $40 million contract while Saltalamacchia has accumulated 7.2 WAR over the last four seasons (all but 0.1 in the last three seasons)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

when valuing wins above replacement, which both the RS and Salty are doing, wearing a "C" on the jersey means zero.

lets not annoit Salty as CFisk, but lets also not lump him with Lava. Metric's indicate Salty has a fair market value. Either the RS will pay that value, or they will find some one else. I have no issue walking away from Salty and finding some one else, but the question is who is out there? The choices seem really unappealing, Mcann at his $$$ value included.

I keep reading that Weiters is available, but trading for him only means you are dealing with Boras in 24 months. I would trade for Weiters, if the asking price was reasonable for a 2 year rental. Would Weiters for Workman work for both teams? O's need pitching with controlable years...they have to sign Davis, Jones, Machado, etc

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

when valuing wins above replacement, which both the RS and Salty are doing, wearing a "C" on the jersey means zero.

lets not annoit Salty as CFisk, but lets also not lump him with Lava. Metric's indicate Salty has a fair market value. Either the RS will pay that value, or they will find some one else. I have no issue walking away from Salty and finding some one else, but the question is who is out there? The choices seem really unappealing, Mcann at his $$$ value included.

I keep reading that Weiters is available, but trading for him only means you are dealing with Boras in 24 months. I would trade for Weiters, if the asking price was reasonable for a 2 year rental. Would Weiters for Workman work for both teams? O's need pitching with controlable years...they have to sign Davis, Jones, Machado, etc

[/QUOTE]

The thing about Weiters is that we get 2 years of control, which is just about what we need.

We lose Ross after 2014, so Lava or Vazquez should step in. After 2015, we might be able to go with Lava & Vazquez or maybe Swihart may win one slot by then.

Lastly, Weiters might net us a comp pick after 2 years.

The negative: we have to lose a player or two to get him: maybe Lava, Britton and Johnson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The thing about Weiters is that we get 2 years of control, which is just about what we need.

We lose Ross after 2014, so Lava or Vazquez should step in. After 2015, we might be able to go with Lava & Vazquez or maybe Swihart may win one slot by then.

The negative: we have to lose a player or two to get him: maybe Lava, Britton and Johnson.

[/QUOTE]

I have no where near the regard for Lava as you seemingly do. His hitting has regressed. His defensive skills have never been evident. The pitchers hate throwing to him.

The RS seem to favor a C situation with one catcher behind the plate 100-115 games per year and the other C behind the plate 45-65 games. I see no spot for Lava under this alignment.

Theoretically to trade for Weiters the O's would also prefer a C to come back to them. I have to think Swihart/Denney is off the table, but the O's would then look to Vasquez, Butler with no interest in Lava.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This is good info, but don't forget that Varitek wore the "C" on his jersey for a reason. I don't think Salty could earn that honor

The "C" is one of those intangibles ... and I agree that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has not earned that honor.

Here is a philosophical question: Is the "C" an attribute that should be compensated for financially or is the "C" itself a form of compensation? In other words, can an employer say we can give you only a modest raise this year, so we'll sweeten the deal by giving you a more prestigious title within the company?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

I have no where near the regard for Lava as you seemingly do. His hitting has regressed. His defensive skills have never been evident. The pitchers hate throwing to him. 

The RS seem to favor a C situation with one catcher behind the plate 100-115 games per year and the other C behind the plate 45-65 games. I see no spot for Lava under this alignment.

Theoretically to trade for Weiters the O's would also prefer a C to come back to them. I have to think Swihart/Denney is off the table, but the O's would then look to Vasquez, Butler with no interest in Lava.

I don't have much faith in Lava, but he still has a chance to do well, at least on offense. With the state of catching being as it is right now in MLB, there is probably some team that would want him as part of a package, even if just to increase their odds that one of their catchers will improve.

I'd avoid giving Vazquez, and they might want more of an immediate return than Swihart/Denny.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't have much faith in Lava, but he still has a chance to do well, at least on offense. With the state of catching being as it is right now in MLB, there is probably some team that would want him as part of a package, even if just to increase their odds that one of their catchers will improve.

I'd avoid giving Vazquez, and they might want more of an immediate return than Swihart/Denny.

[/QUOTE]

Interdivision trades are extremely rare these days and even if they weren't, why would Baltimore want to help make one of their biggest competitors better, unless they were getting a ridiculous package (which the Sox would never do) in return for him?   It's obviously possible the Orioles move Weitters, but the odds that they would trade him within the AL East are next to zero.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is good info, but don't forget that Varitek wore the "C" on his jersey for a reason. I don't think Salty could earn that honor

The "C" is one of those intangibles ... and I agree that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has not earned that honor.

Here is a philosophical question: Is the "C" an attribute that should be compensated for financially or is the "C" itself a form of compensation? In other words, can an employer say we can give you only a modest raise this year, so we'll sweeten the deal by giving you a more prestigious title within the company?

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the two things as being connected.  IMO attaching a "C" to a player's shirt is only a recognition of what's going on in the clubhouse anyway.

I also think granting money for it is a dangerous precedent to be setting.  Can't you see Scott Boras demanding that a player be named team captain because it nets a raise of $1M?  Ugh!