Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...

Sox reportedly offered him about $5MM.  why bother??  I don't understand this move... can someone explain please?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...

In Response to Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...:
    In Response to Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt... :   Where did you hear this?
    Posted by thepeskypole6

MLBTR, actually MLBTR reported Buster Onley's from Espn.com

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

They are low-balling the guy. They know they can't afford what he wants ($8-10M) but now they can claim "Hey, we tried to get the guy but couldn't afford him". They also have a 40-man roster already and not enough cap space - which means a trade is needed to clear the way for him.
    We would all love to have a young Oswalt but what can this version provide us? I believe his stats are all headed sharply in the wrong direction. It could be that a young anomymous pitcher can outpitch him this year for far less money. That's the guy Cherry is scouring the planet for.
    Chances are slim Roy takes the $5M to enter the jungle which is the AL East.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...:
    Sox reportedly offered him about $5MM.  why bother??  I don't understand this move... can someone explain please?
    Posted by seannybboi

I would explain it as a negotiation, if Oswalt is truly interested in joining the Sox, then his side can counter with what they want.  The Sox probably don't think he is worth the reported 10 million he desires, so they come in low and maybe end up getting him for closer to 8.  If that doesn't work, they move on.

They just offered a guy who doesn't have a job 5 million dollars, it really isn't that appalling to me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Baseball players are sensitive these days....so I am sure Oswalt was insulted being offered 5mm considering what he made last year, but a team has to foofer what they think they can a) afford, b) what they think the player is worth and c) leaving themselves room to negotiate upwards to reach b). It could cost them any chance of signing him, but thy need to do what they think is right for them not Oswalt.....and I am someone who wants them to sign the guy....I think 7-8mm is fair....but it could be that Oswalt is looking for 10mm+ and they hope they can negotiate to the middle.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

What was the purpose of Scutaro trade? I'm confused... Ben traded away our leading candidate for everyday SS away for this?? weighing Oswalt and Jackson??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

What was the purpose of Scutaro trade? I'm confused... Ben traded away our leading candidate for everyday SS away for this?? weighing Oswalt and Jackson??
    Posted by seannybboi

Cody Ross 3 million, just signed Bailey 3 million, that is Scutaro's contract right there.  Still haven't addressed Papi.......

I realize it is a long lost concept in Boston but having to make roster decisions based on financial limitations is still the reality for most teams in MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duffie33. Show Duffie33's posts

Oswalt doesnt want to pitch in Boston - he is too afraid that it will hurt his opportunity to get a better deal next year if he get pounded by the AL East.  He is looking for a place where he can "show" he has stuff left - so he doesnt want to face Yankees and Tampa all year.  

Its not about the chance to win a world series with us it is about his next paycheck - good luck 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt... : Cody Ross 3 million, just signed Bailey 3 million, that is Scutaro's contract right there.  Still haven't addressed Papi....... I realize it is a long lost concept in Boston but having to make roster decisions based on financial limitations is still the reality for most teams in MLB.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

So we gave Scutaro away to pay 1/5 of Ortiz salary? What financial sense does that make? I am astounded by these "moves".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt... : Cody Ross 3 million, just signed Bailey 3 million, that is Scutaro's contract right there.  Still haven't addressed Papi....... I realize it is a long lost concept in Boston but having to make roster decisions based on financial limitations is still the reality for most teams in MLB.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Please! Do you actually believe there are financial limitations? Only self-imposed ones. The money is there, the question becomes, do they want to spend it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt... : Please! Do you actually believe there are financial limitations? Only self-imposed ones. The money is there, the question becomes, do they want to spend it!
    Posted by Alibiike

True enough, if Henry wanted to dig into his own pocket we could have a $300 million payroll or more.  It's not going to happen and there are perfectably understandable reasons why it's not going to happen.  Especially with the changes coming in that will result in even bigger penalties assessed for going over the luxury tax threshold.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i heard something interesting this morn,
    that Marco was traded because he and valentine hate each other????

is this true?  can i get a ruling on this????

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan93311. Show patsfan93311's posts

In Response to Re: Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt... : Damn! I wish we did know. Cherrington should address this right away and let us know or Albi is going to be livid!
    Posted by thepeskypole6

What's with the Make Money Online link, Pesky Pole 6?

A little tacky, don't you think?  A person can't even read some posts without being subjected to someone making a pitch? Give us a break from advertising for crying out loud. It's almost as bad as having to put up with trolls.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LegendofBoston. Show LegendofBoston's posts

In Response to Sox offered about $5MM to Oswalt...:
    Posted by seannybboi

I say sign him up, if you can get him that cheap. Roy has been a stellar pitcher over his entire career. He has also been a good post season pitcher as well outside of last year. We need someone who can eat innings plain and simple. If you can get a guy like that for under 10 million these days do it. I'm also glad to get rid of scutaro and his contract, while filling that position with a kid who deserves to be up in the bigs in Inglesias. This team will be ok if we have some starters who can stay healthy and eat innings. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

wow they offered 5 million million

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya no chance to get oswalt for 5 mill. red sox fo is a joke. if they think signing 500 washed up scrap heap pitchers is going to solve anything, think again. i very much doubt at this point that oswalt will sign with the sox. especially if they are only offering 5 mill. If anything the sox need to offer more than the other teams involved because oswalt would be taking a risk pitching in the toughest division in baseball. Edwin jackson would be a good pick up as would gavin floyd. I just dont know if either of those guys is going to make a huge difference on this team. yes presumeably the pitching will be better than last year but slighty above average guys like floyd and jackson are not huge difference makers. This is why i said in the beginning that the sox should go after yu darvish. Look at the contract he signed and he could potentially be an ace. I would say not making an agressive bid on darvish was the sox biggest mistake of the offseason. At this point the sox best option is to trade for matt garza, but i would not hold my breath on that one. signing jackson or trading for floyd may be good enough to keep the sox in contention till the trade deadline where the someone like matt cain or cole hamels could be available via trade. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Thats not enough to get Oswalt. They are paying scrubs more that they offered Oswalt. He must have laughed at them when they offered him that low ball figure.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Maybe John Henry will offer fans a special ten-cent beer night at Fenway  ........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Cent_Beer_Night

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

He seems to be headed to St. Louis. Either that or he's trying to get a higher offer out of another team & have STL match it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Apparently the Sox offer is pretty much what St Louis has offered.  Why not start your negotiation there?

If he is laughing at the Sox FO, and too insulted by that offer to sign with the Sox, then he should be laughing just as hard at St. Louis's FO and too insulted to pitch for them. 

Sections
Shortcuts