sox only ONE up on OAK for best AL record.. not good!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Re: sox only ONE up on OAK for best AL record.. not good!

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

It looks to me like the sox can not win the tiebreaker with the A's.  If they end up tied for best record, at best the sox can be tied for division record. Second half without interleague sox are 38-26, Oak is 42-24.  So sox can't win that tiebreaker.

well, if they lose to colorado twice, and then win these three games against Orioles while A's lose one of the game to LAA or Seattle, Sox can still win the tie breaker between two clubs. Remember Sox have one game lead over the A's in both win and loss column.   Right now it is pretty complicating between two clubs cuz Sox play Colorado and A's against LAA in the next two games which it count for just A's's divisional record.  Any loss by the A's in any of these five games is huge for the Sox!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

This last week is going to be exciting in all the races. Best time to watch Baseball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

It looks to me like the sox can not win the tiebreaker with the A's.  If they end up tied for best record, at best the sox can be tied for division record. Second half without interleague sox are 38-26, Oak is 42-24.  So sox can't win that tiebreaker.

well, if they lose to colorado twice, and then win these three games against Orioles while A's lose one of the game to LAA or Seattle, Sox can still win the tie breaker between two clubs. Remember Sox have one game lead over the A's in both win and loss column.   Right now it is pretty complicating between two clubs cuz Sox play Colorado and A's against LAA in the next two games which it count for just A's's divisional record.  Any loss by the A's in any of these five games is huge for the Sox!!

Sox are 43-30 in division, A's are 42-29.  Sox win all 3 in baltimore they are 46-30, A's would have to go 4-1 to tie for best record and then they would also be 46-30 in division.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I think this is a bigger deal than most.  The WC team has to burn an ace to get into the playoffs, and for all we know there may be 3 teams tied for that second WC spot at the end of the year.  That could mean the wild-card winner winds up burning Masterson and Jimenez, or Price and Moore, or Darvish and Holland, or Shields & Santana before stepping foot in the ALDS.  That's an incredible advantage for the AL East winner - starting the ALDS matchup against a team's #3.

Yeah, to be the best you have to beat the best, but this is a five-game baseball series we're talking about.  A wind shift or a pesky pole shot could be the difference between being crowned world champs and suffering through fifty threads about John Lackey's diet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Not to mention AndrewMitch suing the Sox for hurting his feelings.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think this is a bigger deal than most.  The WC team has to burn an ace to get into the playoffs, and for all we know there may be 3 teams tied for that second WC spot at the end of the year.  That could mean the wild-card winner winds up burning Masterson and Jimenez, or Price and Moore, or Darvish and Holland, or Shields & Santana before stepping foot in the ALDS.  That's an incredible advantage for the AL East winner - starting the ALDS matchup against a team's #3.

It could be more than that. They may have to brun an ace on the last game of t6he season justto make it to the WC game, although I think they may have 4 days off between that game and the first round against the next team they face.

Sox4ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

The way the Pitching staff is lined-up, do you want use Lackey Sunday if they have a shot at best record?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

I would not jeopardize the best rotational schedule planning just to try and win best record vs. one other team. Lackey is one of the top 3 starters this year. Not Peavy.

Not jeopardizing anything.  He can pitch Sunday and still have 5 days off before game 2.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:

A's also were tied with most blown saves after All-Star break with 11. Good thing too, we might not have this discussion.

Forgot 4-7 record.

Hopefully the A's blow more games.    Cool

Baltimore's one-run game record in 2012: 29-9

Baltimore's one-run game record in 2013: 17-30 (worst in the majors)

Cheer up O's fans,..............sh*t happens.   LOL   Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I would not jeopardize the best rotational schedule planning just to try and win best record vs. one other team. Lackey is one of the top 3 starters this year. Not Peavy.

Not jeopardizing anything.  He can pitch Sunday and still have 5 days off before game 2.

Thanks.
    Looking up his career he has a 3.98 era on 5 days rest, and a 4.24 era on 6 days plus rest.
    This year he has a 3.27 era on 5 days and a 3.18 era on 6+ days, not much of a difference.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Sox are 43-30 in division, A's are 42-29.  Sox win all 3 in baltimore they are 46-30, A's would have to go 4-1 to tie for best record and then they would also be 46-30 in division.

You re exactly right.  I must miscalculated.  

Well, juat have Red Sox win first two games in Colorado, and see what the A's do in the next two games.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CTJake14. Show CTJake14's posts

Re: the A's rotation, don't sleep on Sonny Gray!

I have been hoping for best record for homefield, and to putoff A's or Det til ALCS but this thread is reminding me that it doesn't matter -- we gotta beat 'em all to get to the Series anyway.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Well, juat have Red Sox win first two games in Colorado, and see what the A's do in the next two games.  

Yup.  Sox may have to win them all to get BR.  Luckily A's are facing Weaver and Hernandez in the last 5 days, unfortunately they are both just coming back from injuries.  Last game of the season is against James Paxton of the M's.  He just came up, but did well in his first 3 games.  At least we can expect him to go all out in his last game, still trying to make a name for himself.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

You are correct in you assessment that the Sox cannot win a tiebreaker with the A's.  Even getting to the last 82 intraleague games (it's not the second half of the season), the A's win.  I think the A's are 46-31 over their last 77 games (with 5 AL games to play).  The Sox are 45-34 over thgeir last 79 (with 3 AL games to play).  There is no scenario that allows the Sox to win that tiebreaker.

Bottom line is the Sox need the same record as the A's over the last 5 games to hold home field. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Luckily A's are facing Weaver and Hernandez in the last 5 days, unfortunately they are both just coming back from injuries.

'Are you for dog catcher, because you go from lucky to unfortunately in what amounts to drivel.

I'm sure most people understood my point, it's ok if you didn't.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

You are correct in you assessment that the Sox cannot win a tiebreaker with the A's.  Even getting to the last 82 intraleague games (it's not the second half of the season), the A's win.  I think the A's are 46-31 over their last 77 games (with 5 AL games to play).  The Sox are 45-34 over thgeir last 79 (with 3 AL games to play).  There is no scenario that allows the Sox to win that tiebreaker.

Bottom line is the Sox need the same record as the A's over the last 5 games to hold home field. 

Are you sure?  I've been to a couple of different sites to figure this out, but it's never to clear.  My best guess is last 81 games of season, removing interleague from those 81. 

Either way, you're right the bottom line is sox lose tiebreaker is there is one.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yup.  Sox may have to win them all to get BR.  Luckily A's are facing Weaver and Hernandez in the last 5 days, unfortunately they are both just coming back from injuries.  Last game of the season is against James Paxton of the M's.  He just came up, but did well in his first 3 games.  At least we can expect him to go all out in his last game, still trying to make a name for himself.

Still they are pitching on their own homefield pitching mound

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i have decided that the sox win the tiebreaker.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

i have decided that the sox win the tiebreaker.

which one??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

In response to slasher9's comment:

doesnt matter.  A's will not get past the Divisional round which will shift ALCS homefield to #2 team.

of course it doesn't matter

who cares if you play Detroit or WC winner in the 1st round

Depends on who it is.  Detroit is only modestly better than TB.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to ImagydSportsForTwitter's comment:

dont care about 100 games but we MUST win home field thru out, really maters. we are unstoppable at home.. who wins the tiebreaker with oakland jabs?

That's one way of thinking about it.

Another way of thinking about it is that having the best record in BB by one game is a good thing.

Sections
Shortcuts