Sox OPS by Position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Sox OPS by Position

Crawford is swinging the bat great tonight and showing signs of returning to normal.  A 2-run double off a lefty, a bomb to dead centre.  Not a good thing?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

One game, one week, or one month (see Josh Reddick) does NOT make a season.
    The truth is, even if he had his "normal" season, he wouldn't be worth anywhere near what he's getting paid.
    He's just a bad fit, crapping up the OF alignment for the next six years.
    LF in Boston has always been patroled by bombers, and big contributors, not small ball low OBP and OPS guys.
    Ted, Yaz, Rice, Greenie, Manny, Bay, and CRAWFORD?????
    It'd be like the Pats replacing Brady after he retires with a running QB.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Sox OPS by Position:
    [QUOTE]One game, one week, or one month (see Josh Reddick) does NOT make a season. The truth is, even if he had his "normal" season, he wouldn't be worth anywhere near what he's getting paid. He's just a bad fit, crapping up the OF alignment for the next six years. LF in Boston has always been patroled by bombers, and big contributors, not small ball low OBP and OPS guys. Ted, Yaz, Rice, Greenie, Manny, Bay, and CRAWFORD????? It'd be like the Pats replacing Brady after he retires with a running QB.
    Posted by tbrod[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe the idea was to have a team that was a little less 'tailor-made for Fenway', that a guy like Crawford would help them be a better road team.  We'll see how it works out. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I still believe in CC, his career numbers are there, fluke year caused by pressure after a horrible start imo. CC Career: vs RHPs: .812 vs LHPs: .683 It's no fluke: Crawford is a glorified platoon hitter in the midst of a slump. I hope you aren't saying you are OK with CC returning to his career norms and playing nearly everyday vs LHPs.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

But Crawford's career OPS against lefties is higher than Granderson's (.678).  So is Granderson also a glorified platoon hitter?

Well obviously Granderson made some adjustments this year that have resulted in a huge improvement against lefties.  But when the Yankees acquired him he was coming off some terrible years against lefties.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm sorry if I don't share your enthusiasm in Crawford's ability to turn it around vs lefties like Granderson has (and Papi so far this year, after a steep 3 year decline).

For one thing, CC has over 1,700 PAs vs lefties: Granderson has just over 1,000.

Yes, they are about the same age, but I just don't see the odds as being very favorable.

Players often have spike years here or there, or stretches of doing well vs the other-handed pitchers, but I expect that Granderson will come back down to earth in time. Crawford will get better than he has been doing so far in Boston, but I seriously doubt he will ever have a .900 plus OPS vs lefties like Grandy has now.

I hope I am wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]I'm sorry if I don't share your enthusiasm in Crawford's ability to turn it around vs lefties like Granderson has (and Papi so far this year, after a steep 3 year decline). For one thing, CC has over 1,700 PAs vs lefties: Granderson has just over 1,000. Yes, they are about the same age, but I just don't see the odds as being very favorable. Players often have spike years here or there, or stretches of doing well vs the other-handed pitchers, but I expect that Granderson will come back down to earth in time. Crawford will get better than he has been doing so far in Boston, but I seriously doubt he will ever have a .900 plus OPS vs lefties like Grandy has now. I hope I am wrong.

Those doubts are understandable.  The turnarounds by Granderson and Papi do show that it's possible.  Crawford has had some better at-bats against lefties recently. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I try to be optimistic, but I was expecting about .700 vs lefties this year. I knew Tito would not platoon a $20M player. It's killing me that he's at about .530 now. He's still plays everyday.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]I try to be optimistic, but I was expecting about .700 vs lefties this year. I knew Tito would not platoon a $20M player. It's killing me that he's at about .530 now. He's still plays everyday.

Well, look at the law of averages. It's bound to go up. Foot in mouth

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, but up to .700 is still worthy of platooning.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from S0ftl@w. Show S0ftl@w's posts

What is Ellsbury's 2011 OPS v. Lhp?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, but up to .700 is still worthy of platooning.

Yaz was .692 vs. southpaws. Platoon Yaz and fans stop buying season tickets...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]What is Ellsbury's 2011 OPS v. Lhp?
    Posted by S0ftl@w[/QUOTE]

It's .763 right now.
    This is higher than his career number (up to .755).
    His splits were never an issue with you before, because he was always pretty even. But, now that his numbers vs LHPs has risen significantly less than vs RHPs this season, it is suddenly a major issue. 

Sidenote:
    Your heroes are:
    Drew: .586 (The one guy you don't ever bash)
    Cameron: .516 (The guy you wanted to be the FT CF'er with Jake as the 4th OF'er.

(CC's is .535.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Salty's HR tonight might have moved us up to 8th in catcher OPS.