Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV

Breaking news from WHDH here in Boston. 

Sox pitchers drank beer in dugout during games

BOSTON -- 7News Sources said: Josh Beckett, Jon Lester and John Lackey drank beer in the Red Sox dugout during games, according to two Red Sox employees who witnessed the drinking on multiple occasions at Fenway Park.
    On nights when they were not pitching, Beckett, Lester and Lackey would exit the dugout as early as the 6th inning, walk back to the clubhouse, and fill cups with Bud Light beer. They would then return to the dugout with cups of beer and drink while watching the game. It didn’t make a difference whether the Red Sox were winning or losing at the time and the practice became more frequent later in the 2011 season. One Red Sox employee said Beckett, Lester and Lackey appeared “bored on nights they weren’t pitching and this is how they entertained themselves.”

Another Red Sox employee described the routine like this: “Beckett would come down the stairs from the dugout, walking through the corridor to the clubhouse and say ‘it’s about that time’. Becket was the instigator but Lester and Lackey were right behind him.

It was blatant and hard not to notice what was going on with all three guys leaving at once.”

Both Red Sox employees said it was exclusively those three pitchers, (Beckett, Lester and Lackey) who were drinking in the dugout during games.

(Copyright (c) 2011 Sunbeam Television Corp. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV

This will get nasty. There a lot of guys from Tek, Pedey and Fracona on record as that just wasn't the case.

Is everybody covering for the three pitchers or do the RS have a few guys in the organization that have an axe to grind?

It is great theatre at this point but this is going in a direction where the end result may well end being blowing up this team and it could take 6 or more years to get off of the mat. The leakers must know that so what is their motivation?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV:
    This will get nasty. There a lot of guys from Tek, Pedey and Fracona on record as that just wasn't the case. Is everybody covering for the three pitchers or do the RS have a few guys in the organization that have an axe to grind? It is great theatre at this point but this is going in a direction where the end result may well end being blowing up this team and it could take 6 or more years to get off of the mat. The leakers must know that so what is their motivation?
    Posted by fivekatz

I agree. This thing is already nasty and about to get much, much worse. Talk about a story having legs. I'm not sure ownership, with all their alledged media 'savvy,' can even rope this thing back in anymore. The franchise is imploding in case people haven't noticed. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Things are rarely as good as they appear or as bad as they appear.

I suspect this matter will bottom out at some point and the Red Sox will rebound ... at some point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV:
    Things are rarely as good as they appear or as bad as they appear. I suspect this matter will bottom out at some point and the Red Sox will rebound ... at some point.
    Posted by hill55

Agreed. Somewhere around 2013 maybe.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : I agree. This thing is already nasty and about to get much, much worse. Talk about a story having legs. I'm not sure ownership, with all their alledged media 'savvy,' can even rope this thing back in anymore. The franchise is imploding in case people haven't noticed. 
    Posted by greenapplesplatters
    How bad it gets depends on whether anybody ever wants to put their name on this stuff. If everybody on the record says this last report is junk with a motive I am not sure this gets legs. But anything is possible.  

I don't know if the franchise is in a implosion quite as much as the nature of the market in Boston is eating its own.

At some point everybody who wanted answers may spend a number years wishing they never got them including all the talk show guys and writers that nobody cares about paying attention to for a number of years because the RS did implode.

It actually is remarkable to watch how nobody can stop staring at the car wreck, myself included at this point. But once the tow truck pulls away the wreckage there may be nothing worth looking at. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : How bad it gets depends on whether anybody ever wants to put their name on this stuff. If everybody on the record says this last report is junk with a motive I am not sure this gets legs. But anything is possible.   I don't know if the franchise is in a implosion quite as much as the nature of the market in Boston is eating its own . At some point everybody who wanted answers may spend a number years wishing they never got them including all the talk show guys and writers that nobody cares about paying attention to for a number of years because the RS did implode. It actually is remarkable to watch how nobody can stop staring at the car wreck, myself included at this point. But once the tow truck pulls away the wreckage there may be nothing worth looking at. 
    Posted by fivekatz

I'm guilty of this as well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hambonawilliams. Show hambonawilliams's posts

LMFAO..ROFL...BWAHAHAHAHA...oh yeah TEK, GREATLY OVER EXAGGERATED!!! Enjoy your Boston retirement you lying sack of used up pus!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : How bad it gets depends on whether anybody ever wants to put their name on this stuff.

It's all unsubstantiated rumor. How can anyone believe something that doesn't have a person's name behind the accusation? That means they have something to hide, like it being a lie. It's amazing the mileage the media is getting out of something they may very well have made up, or at least grossly exagerated on purpose.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : It's all unsubstantiated rumor. How can anyone believe something that doesn't have a person's name behind the accusation? That means they have something to hide, like it being a lie. It's amazing the mileage the media is getting out of something they may very well have made up, or at least grossly exagerated on purpose.
    Posted by xxxcrwn

Unsubstantiated rumor? What planet are you living on? Every accusation to date has been verified by the parties involved. You can't be serious.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : Unsubstantiated rumor? What planet are you living on? Every accusation to date has been verified by the parties involved. You can't be serious.
    Posted by greenapplesplatters
    Not the subject of the OP. In fact it makes liars out of Francona and Pedroia most notably. It defies what Lester said just yesterday.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I'm not a drinker but can someone tell me if shots of Jack Daniels ( 2004 ALCS)are more intoxicating than a paper cup full of Bud Light?

Is this thread about three starting pitchers who were not playing that day and sipping Bud Light after the 6th inning or about a whole squad sipping Jack Daniels before a game (2004 ALCS) that they were playing in?

I don't recall this witch hunt after the revelation from Millar following the 2004 season.

Was it better that the three pitchers showed solidarity by sipping Bud on the bench or should they have done it in the clubhouse instead?

Is Hill and Katz enabling Green Apples and Georom now.? Is business that bad at the Globe?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

All this will succeed in doing is to divide the Sox into factions in the clubhouse. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : Not the subject of the OP. In fact it makes liars out of Francona and Pedroia most notably. It defies what Lester said just yesterday.
    Posted by fivekatz

That's called collateral damage. Francona and Pedroia's intentions were good, but it looks like they'll eventually be forced to fess up to having tried to take one for the team. It's tough...no make that impossible in this day and age to execute a successful cover-up of anything. And my guess is that we'll start seeing those who might have fibbed earlier start to backpedal any day now. The media is not going to rest until the truth and everyone involved is flushed out. So it might be good to start keeping a score card as to who comes out of this thing with some integrity left intact and who completely destroys their reputation. The choice is theirs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I'm not a drinker but can someone tell me if shots of Jack Daniels are more intoxicating than a paper cup full of Bud Light?   Is this thread about three starting pitchers who were not playing that day and sipping Bud Light after the 6th inning or about a whole squad sipping Jack Daniels before a game that they were playing in? I don't recall this witch hunt after the revelation from Millar following the 2004 season. Was it better that the three pitchers showed solidarity by sipping Bud on the bench or should they have done it in the clubhouse instead? WITCH HUNT.
    Posted by UticaClub
    I am not sure that I can begin to get on the same page with you on it about being anywhere near the same thing.

If it is true, it is an embossment to the team if it went on repeatedly and a real indictment of Francona.

I think a lot of stuff is over blown. In this case this really is nasty and that in part is why I find it hard to believe. Detached pitchers hanging out in the clubhouse on non start days and cracking beers early and ordering out food before the post game buffets are put out is embarrassing but not unbelievable.

Guys kicking back and having a Bud Light in dugout while their teammates are playing and nobody saying anything starting with Hale and Francona who are paid to police those men? That's a management problem of the first order and isn't like guys getting in a circle having a shot and going and playing Game 7.

And that is why until somebody puts their name on it I find it hard to believe that this isn't clubhouse kids that think the three pitchers are arrogant jrks who are light tippers. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Wow, it is getting hard to tell the difference between Red Sox fans and people who read Celebrity gossip rags at the Salon.  "OMG, now they're saying there was beer in the dugout...."  "Did you see how fat they got?". 

Does it really matter if they were in the clubhouse or in the dugout?  Wasn't part of the problem they weren't supporting the team, well if they were drinking beer in the dugout than isn't that better, because they were supporting the team.

Make no mistake, if the Red Sox won the World Series and then it came out that all this stuff was happening, it would have been celebrated, everyone would have loved it, just like the Jack in 2004. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenapplesplatters. Show greenapplesplatters's posts

All this will succeed in doing is to divide the Sox into factions in the clubhouse. 
    Posted by traven

That was already quite successfully done in spring training last season. The aim of all this, believe it or not, is to weed out the bad apples (something Theo didn't know how to do) and unify the remaining players of inegrity and good character.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Wow, it is getting hard to tell the difference between Red Sox fans and people who read Celebrity gossip rags at the Salon.  "OMG, now they're saying there was beer in the dugout...."  "Did you see how fat they got?".    Does it really matter if they were in the clubhouse or in the dugout?  Wasn't part of the problem they weren't supporting the team, well if they were drinking beer in the dugout than isn't that better, because they were supporting the team. Make no mistake, if the Red Sox won the World Series and then it came out that all this stuff was happening, it would have been celebrated, everyone would have loved it, just like the Jack in 2004. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards

Really??This team blew a nine game lead in one month and you are saying they couldve wouldve mightve won the championship???? and who were these pitchers who were going to do this for us? the guys hiding in the clubhouse during games getting a buzz on and eating take out chicken???

seriously insane...stop now please -

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Wow, it is getting hard to tell the difference between Red Sox fans and people who read Celebrity gossip rags at the Salon.  "OMG, now they're saying there was beer in the dugout...."  "Did you see how fat they got?".    Does it really matter if they were in the clubhouse or in the dugout?  Wasn't part of the problem they weren't supporting the team, well if they were drinking beer in the dugout than isn't that better, because they were supporting the team. Make no mistake, if the Red Sox won the World Series and then it came out that all this stuff was happening, it would have been celebrated, everyone would have loved it, just like the Jack in 2004. 

There's a difference between a group of players doing a shot together as a team and 3 individuals sitting around drinking beer while their teammates are getting their butts kicked during a game.
       The Jack Daniels was being done as a symbol of team unity.The 3 pitchers drinking beer was done and percieved as seperation from the rest of the team. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

You are right it would have been cute and urban legend if the same stuff came out and the RS won it all. In that regard the question about Jack before a game and a cup of beer in the dugout is relevant.

But beer in the dugout is different. It is right in the face of all the players and most of all in front of the men that are paid the manage the guys drinking on the bench. Do you think it would have been acceptable to John Henry to have had neraly $40M of his 2011 payroll kicking back and having a Bud Light while they watched the game?

Now end of the day, Francona is gone, Hale will be gone. When it comes to the pitchers I think Lackey is gone and we will never see this again from the other two.

But if it is true wow! Those three guys were b-heads and the field management indefensible. I don't care what Schilling or anybody else says, this one was not up to the room to self-police.

The again it is so stunning I am inclined to believe and hope it is BS.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : There's a difference between a group of players doing a shot together as a team and 3 individuals sitting around drinking beer while their teammates are getting their butts kicked during a game.    The Jack Daniels was being done as a symbol of team unity.The 3 pitchers drinking beer was done and percieved as seperation from the rest of the team. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120

Mr Mojo - please dont confuse the bootlickers with facts....I guess they cant tell the difference between a team ritual that bonds them together and a continous practice done by a few to subvert the very team they are being paid to play for....

sickeningly dumb

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : Really??This team blew a nine game lead in one month and you are saying they couldve wouldve mightve won the championship???? and who were these pitchers who were going to do this for us? the guys hiding in the clubhouse during games getting a buzz on and eating take out chicken??? seriously insane...stop now please -
    Posted by georom4

Really, because this was going on during July and August too.  Papi, said it was happening in 2004 and 2007.  So the "idiots" shooting some Jack before the 2004 World Series games isn't celebrated?  Wrong.

If you want to talk about problems on the roster or w/management that is one thing, obsessing about details of eating chicken and drinking beer is just stupid.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Sox Pitchers Drank Beer In the Dugout During Games---WHDH TV : Really, because this was going on during July and August too.  Papi, said it was happening in 2004 and 2007.  So the "idiots" shooting some Jack before the 2004 World Series games isn't celebrated?  Wrong. If you want to talk about problems on the roster or w/management that is one thing, obsessing about details of eating chicken and drinking beer is just stupid.  

so you want to protect these three pitchers because they are good pitchers??? you are as weak as Francona...

they need to be gone - I dont root for players like that - you can root for who you want but Im not cheering for idiots like these three fatazzes who cost us a playoff spot....they need to go

Sections
Shortcuts