Sox place five on two Top 50 prospect lists

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Re: Sox place five on two Top 50 prospect lists

It's great to see Bogaerts emerging as a top tier guy on the national lists now. He is still very young and if profar gets called up soon Bogaerts might be the top SS in the minors.

Look at Machado, called up from AA and producing. Profar could probably do the same thing next year. Although Bogaerts defense is probably not in their league it is POSSIBLE that he could make that leap before year end as well in 2013.

It's great to potentially have a mega stud coming up the ranks. Add La Rosa to the ranks as effectively a prospect also ( similar to a prospect ), and our list is right up there as a top 5 farm.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's great to see Bogaerts emerging as a top tier guy on the national lists now. He is still very young and if profar gets called up soon Bogaerts might be the top SS in the minors.

Look at Machado, called up from AA and producing. Profar could probably do the same thing next year. Although Bogaerts defense is probably not in their league it is POSSIBLE that he could make that leap before year end as well in 2013.

It's great to potentially have a mega stud coming up the ranks. Add La Rosa to the ranks as effectively a prospect also ( similar to a prospect ), and our list is right up there as a top 5 farm.

[/QUOTE]

The Rangers have yet another young SS in their system in the mold of Profar, Luis Sardinas. Just read about him today. Hes had some injury issues, but a high ceiling. Not saying hes better than Bogaerts, but some scouts are taking notice. Hes only ranked #21 which I assume is because of those injuries which limited his playing time this year.

It will be interesting to see what the Sox do, Boom, when Bogaerts is ready and where Iggy is in his development.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to ma6dragon9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...this just reinforces my belief that 2013 should be an "assessment" year ...Shallow FA pool, and lots of youngsters working their way up.

[/QUOTE]

Completely agree on the shallow FA pool and the implication that it doesnt make sense to acquiere an expensive free agent this offseaosn.  I like your suggestion of using 2013 as an assesment year.

A couple of things that I would add to this (you may or may not  agree):  Even though I am using 2013 as an assessment year, I woud not be afraid to trade for an elite player with a big $$ / long term contract.  I dont believe that you should let past mistakes (Crawford) close your mind off to potential opportunities.  The Sox have a TON of room to take on payroll.  If a team is looking to shed, it could be an opportunity to patch a hole for a significant amount of time.  HOwever, if the player who we are trading for is expensive, I would want him to be relatively young (under 32 for a power hitter, under 29 for a pitcher, NO SPEEDSTERS).  #3 and #4 hitters are extremely hard, so if we can take advantage of our salary flexibility and lock one up for a considerable amount of time, I believe that it is worth it.

Also: If 2013 is a success.  Iggy takes a step forward and wins a GG while batting .240, Middlebrooks follows his breakout campaign with a .280,25-30 HR effort, Buchholz wins 17 with an ERA in the mid 3s, Lester wins 16 w an ERA in the high 3's.  Pedroia hits over .300, De La Rosa EARNS a spot in the rotation...Dubie takes a step forward....

...Well, if all this happens and you think you have a chance to compete in '14.  I wouldnt be shy to add expensive free agents then.  Assuming: your scouts are telling you the player is a fit (you have to trust your scouts , even if you are jaded from past misses), you think this player is fills a hole and thereby significantly increases tyour chances of winning in the postseaon, the player is trully elite (I say this because I dont want to pay top dollar whose producting can be obtained through les expensive means).

Overall, I think you have good suggestions for the short term.  However, i believe that we should eventually get back to operating like a big market team.  Big Market team doesnt mean that you put expensive free agents at every position.  It just means that you use ALL mechanisms of fielding the best possible team.  Some things that a big market team can do that a small market team cannot:

International Free Agents (a lot of teams could not afford to give Inglesias 9 mil)

Player Retention (holding onto your own developed studs is something that big market teams can do but small market teams often cannot)

Draft/Scouting/Farm/Development (you can pay for the best minor league hitting/pitching coaches and the best scouts)

Trade for players w big contracts w.out having to give up too many prospects because there arent many buyers due to the the fact that many teams cannot take on the salary (note: I was hopeful this waould happen w Mi Cabrerra in 2008.  Of course, this is no longer a possibility)

Free Agency (even expensive ones if you have the money and believe they are the missing piece that will put you over the hump).

If you look at rthe AL , the two teams left standing have cores made up of: home grown studs AND expensive free agents.  It takes both.  Attempting to field a team using only internal candidatesis a flawed model.  Howeve,r attempting to field a team using only external candidates is flwed as well

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I agree with everything the venerable Drewski said except I think if we can add a solid Lackey with his return and maybe a Kuroda, and possibly a La Rosa becomes what he is capable of, we have a chance in 2013. Pitching is so important and it can fluctuate for any team. With a little luck in the lineup and maybe a strategic signing or 2 I really think this team can reemerge.

One of Drewski's main points ( I think ) is that there is not much available in the FA class but we can be judicious and maybe snag a few values. Kuroda would appear to be one of them. Who knows how much Lackey's bad elbow hurt him? We might have the guy we thought we signed and not even know it.

I lean toward making it a clear rebuilding year but I'm sure the Sox will still put a solid team on the field. Or at least attempt to!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to Yonkersman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My Yankees are letting Swisher go and we'll be glad to take Ellsbury off your hands.

[/QUOTE]

For the right deal I would gladly see him traded to the yanks. In case you haven't been paying attention it would only be a 1 year rental. The yanks cannot afford his salary demands and  stay close to the salary cap which they have stated is a priority. Maybe the Dodgers will take Arod off of your hands.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree with everything the venerable Drewski said except I think if we can add a solid Lackey with his return and maybe a Kuroda, and possibly a La Rosa becomes what he is capable of, we have a chance in 2013. Pitching is so important and it can fluctuate for any team. With a little luck in the lineup and maybe a strategic signing or 2 I really think this team can reemerge.

One of Drewski's main points ( I think ) is that there is not much available in the FA class but we can be judicious and maybe snag a few values. Kuroda would appear to be one of them. Who knows how much Lackey's bad elbow hurt him? We might have the guy we thought we signed and not even know it.

I lean toward making it a clear rebuilding year but I'm sure the Sox will still put a solid team on the field. Or at least attempt to!

I agree with Drew as well, but do not see Kuroda as a fit for a team looking at 2014 and beyond. His age and high recent IP are scary. I'm not saying I want this guys, but I'd rather get Peavy or Jackson.

Personally, I'd like to take some gambles on younger guys like McCarthey, Marcum, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with Drew as well, but do not see Kuroda as a fit for a team looking at 2014 and beyond. His age and high recent IP are scary. I'm not saying I want this guys, but I'd rather get Peavy or Jackson.

Personally, I'd like to take some gambles on younger guys like McCarthey, Marcum, and a couple others I can't think of right now.

[/QUOTE]

i agree..i would love to have peavy on the rd sox...always liked that guy...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

Especially if we could get him on a one or two year deal.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to raider3524's comment:

Especially if we could get him on a one or two year deal.

Then, he'd really just be a "bridge" signing.

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Then, he'd really just be a "bridge" signing.

You know what I think about free agents already. 3 years max, unless it's an absolutely can't miss Manny Ramirez type just entering his prime. And I absolutely would not sign any FA pitcher before mid January, after the feeding frenzy is over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With so much salary budget space, I'm OK with "bridge player" signings of 1-2 year length, but I would prefer to look at younger players that are poised to be productive in 2014, 2015 and perhaps beyond.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

With so much salary budget space, I'm OK with "bridge player" signings of 1-2 year length, but I would prefer to look at younger players that are poised to be productive in 2014, 2015 and perhaps beyond.

I agree with that, especially since I don't think the 2013 Red Sox are all that far from contending if we bring back Ortiz and Ross. We're looking at a rotation of Lester, Buchholz, Lackey and possibly Doubront, and a lineup of Ells, Pedey, Ortiz, WMB, Ross, Lava/Salty and probably Iglesias. So a one or two year bridge signing of a solid starting pitcher, a 1B and possibly a RF could have the Sox right in the thick of things next year. I also think it's a very strong possibility that Brentz or Linares could emerge as a starting outfielder this spring, and I think the new manager should take long looks at Sands for 1B and DeLaRosa, Morales and Tazawa for the starting rotation. To me the beauty of waiting until late in the free agency period to sign anyone is that we probably won't be tying up a lot of money in FAs in case some of the young guys really emerge in ST.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

To me the beauty of waiting until late in the free agency period to sign anyone is that we probably won't be tying up a lot of money in FAs in case some of the young guys really emerge in ST.

I agree, but money should not be an issue this year. That doesn't mean we should spend recklessly, but I do think we need to target a couple younger FAs and perhaps overpay to get them- hopefully not for super longterm deals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That's a sensible position. Are there any younger free agents you have in mind moon? As for me I'm hoping that one of Peavy, Sanchez, Harden, Haren, McCarthy, Kuroda or Jackson will still be available at the end of January when they would be a lot more likely to come relatively cheaply.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

That's a sensible position. Are there any younger free agents you have in mind moon? As for me I'm hoping that one of Peavy, Sanchez, Harden, Haren, McCarthy, Kuroda or Jackson will still be available at the end of January when they would be a lot more likely to come relatively cheaply.

[/QUOTE]

I like McCarthy, but think there are some sleepers like Marcum (turns 31 soon) or Saunders (turns 32 next June).

I've always like E Jackson (just turned 29), but think he might be looking for a long-term deal.

Anibal Sanchez turns 29 in February and has had 195+ IP for 3 straight years. I think he might be the best choice, but may be costly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]I like McCarthy, but think there are some sleepers like Marcum (turns 31 soon) or Saunders (turns 32 next June).

I've always like E Jackson (just turned 29), but think he might be looking for a long-term deal.

Anibal Sanchez turns 29 in February and has had 195+ IP for 3 straight years. I think he might be the best choice, but may be costly.[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking of Johnathan Sanchez on a short term deal, but Anibal Sanchez might be worth giving a big contract if it could be held to 4 years or less. Same thing with Jackson. McCarthy, given his injury history, could maybe be had on a 1 or 2 year deal, which makes him especially intriguing to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I like McCarthy, but think there are some sleepers like Marcum (turns 31 soon) or Saunders (turns 32 next June).

Anibal Sanchez turns 29 in February and has had 195+ IP for 3 straight years. I think he might be the best choice, but may be costly.[/QUOTE]

I was actually thinking of Johnathan Sanchez on a short term deal, but Anibal Sanchez might be worth giving a big contract if it could be held to 4 years or less. Same thing with Jackson. McCarthy, given his injury history, could maybe be had on a 1 or 2 year deal, which makes him especially intriguing to me.

[/QUOTE]

I almost mentioned Jonathan Sanchez as a "sleeper".

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think he could have a bounce back year. He looked awfully good in 2010. Again though, I think who the Red Sox pick up in free agency should depend on who's still available at the end of January. I'd love for us to pick up some guys on one year deals with something to prove. J. Sanchez fits that profile IMO.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I think he could have a bounce back year. He looked awfully good in 2010. Again though, I think who the Red Sox pick up in free agency should depend on who's still available at the end of January. I'd love for us to pick up some guys on one year deals with something to prove. J. Sanchez fits that profile IMO.

I understand the wait it out benefits, but we do not have the luxury tax limit to worry about, and we should go after who we think is the best fit for us, and that should be mostly about 2014 and betond. 

I think taking a couple of gambles on 3 year deals with some of these "sleeper" types might be the best plan.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I understand the wait it out benefits, but we do not have the luxury tax limit to worry about, and we should go after who we think is the best fit for us, and that should be mostly about 2014 and betond. I think taking a couple of gambles on 3 year deals with some of these "sleeper" types might be the best plan.

It very well could be, especially when it comes to pitching. I do think though, that there's some value in bringing guys in on one year deals a la Adrian Beltre. If you get a guy on a one year deal he'll have something to prove, and if he's a really talented guy it's likely that he'll have a big year for us. We're more likely to sign deals like that late in the free agency period. But maybe that's just my inner frugal Maine Yankee coming out. :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Peavy's option is not picked up (at 22m I dont think it will be) I would look to sign him to maybe a 2yr with an option for a 3rd deal. He will turn 32 in May, so 3 yrs tops IMO.

It will also be interesting to see if he can regain some velocity as hes sitting in the low 90's now not even hitting 95 anymore. If not, then he will have to re-invent himself as more of a pitcher then a thrower...Maybe 2012 was the start of that transition. His K/BB ratio was outstanding along with his WHIP and ERA/ERA+...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I just do not see that much out there for starting pitching. I'd rather have Kuroda for 2 years, hurt the Yanks and give us a chance to win while we are rebuilding. If we can get some performance out of Lackey and maybe a Kuroda, we have a chance to have a strong rotation in 2013.....and that puts us in a position to win. We have the money. Why not at least try to win in 2013 and 2014?

The others are just not that appealing. Peavy, Grienke, I really don't think much of McCarthy. Jackson and Sanchez are probably the 2 I would look at after Kuroda. Look at his numbers. Real solid for 5 years in a row. Kuroda is for real.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I agree, the Sox have a chance to compete in 2013 without mortgaging the future.  It shouldn't be difficult to find a DH, LF and 1B, RF a bit more problematic, top SP difficult....plus a few BP arms.  That won't make us the favourite, but at least would keep the summer interesting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Kuroda would another great pickup on a one year deal. After the year he had in NY he might be looking for more years though, and I don't know if I'd go there given his age. I'd also have a hard time going more than one year on Peavy, although I'd be OK with a pretty serious overpay for that one year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree, Kuroda will look for 2+ years, and at his age, I worry about how he figures into our plans to be serious contenders by 2014.

I do not want to overpay for Peavy, Jackson or A Sanchez, but to me, they are better choices for 2 or more year deals.