Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

Alex Wilson & Brian Johnson

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-alex-wilson.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

There is a list of prospects 1-40 that will be put on this list before december and the rule-5 draft.

Allen Webster

Rubby D (I think)

Alex Wilson

Most of the top 40 prospects wont be rule-5 eligible until next year. Thats when we will start having some issues as to who we protect, who we trade and who we leave unprotected.

Rule 5 eligible players are listed here:

http://www.soxprospects.com/org.htm

Webster is on it.

Alex Hassan, Hazelbaker, Alex Wislon, and other lesser knowns.

I don't see de la Rosa even listed as a team member on the chart. hmm...

You bring up a good point about next year's rule 5 eligibility. We may need to plan ahead, so we don't lose some good talent. Signing FAs to 1 year deals is one way, making 2 or 3 for 1 deals is another, & trading rule 5 eligible players for nonrule 5's is another.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

There is a list of prospects 1-40 that will be put on this list before december and the rule-5 draft.

Allen Webster

Rubby D (I think)

Alex Wilson

Most of the top 40 prospects wont be rule-5 eligible until next year. Thats when we will start having some issues as to who we protect, who we trade and who we leave unprotected.

Rule 5 eligible players are listed here:

http://www.soxprospects.com/org.htm

Webster is on it.

Alex Hassan, Hazelbaker, Alex Wislon, and other lesser knowns.

I don't see de la Rosa even listed as a team member on the chart. hmm...

You bring up a good point about next year's rule 5 eligibility. We may need to plan ahead, so we don't lose some good talent. Signing FAs to 1 year deals is one way, making 2 or 3 for 1 deals is another, & trading rule 5 eligible players for nonrule 5's is another.

The rule-5 draft takes place in December every year at the winter meeting so i imagine that the Sox might use a couple in trades this year and at the deadline in 2013.

I also would think that they have a list of guys they want to see develop another year before deciding their fate. Once the 2013 season is over, there should be enough time to pull off another deal or 2 before the rule 5 draft and put those they deem "untouchable" on the 40-man roster.

There are a bunch of them though. Something like 30+ names I counted in the top 40.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Marrero and Workman:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-deven-marrero.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The rule-5 draft takes place in December every year at the winter meeting so i imagine that the Sox might use a couple in trades this year and at the deadline in 2013.

I also would think that they have a list of guys they want to see develop another year before deciding their fate. Once the 2013 season is over, there should be enough time to pull off another deal or 2 before the rule 5 draft and put those they deem "untouchable" on the 40-man roster.

There are a bunch of them though. Something like 30+ names I counted in the top 40.

I agree, but if a nice 2 or 3 for 1 deal comes along this winter, we may jump at it to improve our quality over quantity and to better position ourselves after 2013 to not lose any good prospects to Rule 5.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree, but if a nice 2 or 3 for 1 deal comes along this winter, we may jump at it to improve our quality over quantity and to better position ourselves after 2013 to not lose any good prospects to Rule 5.

I agree with this, just as I stated in my first paragraph...After 2013 it should be a little clearer as to who will be protected and whos value has gone up.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Marrero is a guy I'm going to be keeping an eye on next year. He could be poised for a JBJ like rise through the farm system. He also greatly admires Dustin Pedroia and would like nothing better than playing along side him, as they're both former Sun Devils.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Marrero the next JBJ??? He does kinda fit the same profile, I know I would welcome that.  

Does anyone else feel that Workman and Ranaudo have switched expectations this year?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Marrero the next JBJ??? He does kinda fit the same profile, I know I would welcome that.  

Does anyone else feel that Workman and Ranaudo have switched expectations this year?

It's hard to tell. I'm not really holding our much hope for either of these two, but they still have the ability to surprise me. I'm also not that high on Britton, Pimental or A Wilson.

Beyond Barnes, Webster, and de la Rosa, I like Owens, and the younger kids more: Brian Johnson, Light, Buttrey, Callahan, and Montas.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Drake Britton:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-drake-britton.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Britton has rally nasty stuff. Hes had his issues repeating delivery so a move to the bp might be the best way to go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We seem to have a lot of pitchers with "nasty stuff", but who have other issues.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

We seem to have a lot of pitchers with "nasty stuff", but who have other issues.

I know...I wish we could have one with that nasty stuff and also control it, have no head issues and a clean bill of health...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I know...I wish we could have one with that nasty stuff and also control it, have no head issues and a clean bill of health...

And this hits dead on my position that we seem to be too heavy on quantity of good prospects, but a lille disproportionately too light on quality. Eventually (by next winter) we will have to lose players to rule5 unless we make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to upgrade on the quality at the expense of the quantity.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

And this hits dead on my position that we seem to be too heavy on quantity of good prospects, but a lille disproportionately too light on quality. Eventually (by next winter) we will have to lose players to rule5 unless we make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals to upgrade on the quality at the expense of the quantity.

I have no issue with quantity becaue so many dont make it. The more you have, the more chance you have of someone seperating themselves from the rest.

I agree that we do need more quality. I think we have a good chance with Barnes, Rubby D and Webster and maybe Ranauto once he is totally healthy...Also Owens, Buttrey and a couple others in the lower levels. Time will tell...

As we talked about before, there will be a lot of moves come next year due to so many of our prospects being eligible for the rule-5 draft.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Henry Owens... (3 years from Rule 5)

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-henry-owens.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I really like Henry Owens, one of the guys I will be following closely in 2013

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's got some nice "upside".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Hes a tall LHP...Its usually hard for a guy 6'7 and a LHP to repeat mechanics. So far Owens has looked pretty good. I will also be following him closely in 2013...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Blake Swihart: maybe better than Lava (though farther away from the bigs)!

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-blake-swihart.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Blake Swihart: maybe better than Lava (though farther away from the bigs)!

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-blake-swihart.html

If he sticks at catcher, he probably wont sniff the majors until 2016...If he changes positions, maybe earlier. Lots of upside with this kid though...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Catchers seem to take a long time to develop. Swihart probably won't be able to help any time soon. So what do you guys think of giving Bogaerts a shot at the big club in ST? Tony C was playing in Boston at 19...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Catchers seem to take a long time to develop. Swihart probably won't be able to help any time soon. So what do you guys think of giving Bogaerts a shot at the big club in ST? Tony C was playing in Boston at 19...

Id like to see him have more than 23 games at Portland...He still needs some more defensive work. maybe a late year call-up or sept... If he does well again, which he should, I could see him starting at SS in 2014 if Iggy has issues...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Id like to see him have more than 23 games at Portland...He still needs some more defensive work. maybe a late year call-up or sept... If he does well again, which he should, I could see him starting at SS in 2014 if Iggy has issues...

That and it would be nice to be able to see him play in Portland. Are you going to opening day at Hadlock?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'll be in Portland this summer around the 4th of July. I hope to see him and others then.

Sections
Shortcuts