Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

I think Jackson might have a chance. Hes no AS, but is never injured and throws 200 innings a year. Other than EJ, Sanchez is the only other name I would be interested in on that list. Maybe take a flyer on McCarthy...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Marcum and McCarthy are both good gambles.

A Sanchez has been healthier than many believe the past 3-4 years.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5- Bryce Brentz...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-bryce-brentz.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

This will be a very telling year for Brentz.  He really needs to improve his approach at the plate.  I love the power, and I love the defense.  If I had to guess I'd say he will fizzle out...BUT I'm still holding out some hope for him. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

This will be a very telling year for Brentz.  He really needs to improve his approach at the plate.  I love the power, and I love the defense.  If I had to guess I'd say he will fizzle out...BUT I'm still holding out some hope for him. 

I feel the same and think maybe trading him this winter, before he is exposed might be best.

I am hoping for the best, but am doubtful.

(And, I'm not even the type of guy who is so critical of high K rates either!)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Im beginning to think Brentz will be a streaky hitter in MLB. Oh, he'll smash his share of HR, especially if at Fenway. He will also have at least 130+ K's if he doesnt change his approach. Although the same was said about WMB and he seemed to do OK. Still some adjustments to come for him though.

Bottom line, If the right trade presented itself, I would pull the trigger.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then there was this guy

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-allen-webster.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

getting into the top 3 after today, some pretty exciting names to talk about. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

getting into the top 3 after today, some pretty exciting names to talk about. 

If Webster has a high GB% hes going to do great at fenway...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Isn't his bread and butter pitch a 96 - 97 mph fastball with heavy sink?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Isn't his bread and butter pitch a 96 - 97 mph fastball with heavy sink?

I belive so. Ive heard comparisons as a Derek Lowe type sink on his ball, which would fair well at Fenway.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In the words of Bart Scott "Can't Wait"  I think he will get a taste this year. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Allen Webster...

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-allen-webster.html

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I just hope that BB rate goes down. Hes got all the tools to be a solid pitcher in Fenway. Just needs more stamina and control. Mid 90's FB and a lot of GB's. Low HR rate as well. Im sure Farrell and Co. will work with him in ST next year when hes there, take that knowledge back to AAA and maybe a CoC later in the year...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, 4.2 BB/9 needs improving upon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes, 4.2 BB/9 needs improving upon.

Hes certainly not a guarentee like some think. He needs more work and some tweaking, which he should get in ST. Theres a ton of upside with this kid if he can realize some of that potential. As with all prospects, time will tell..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jackie Bradley Jr....

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-jackie-bradley.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So I really like Bogaerts and all, and don't disagree at all with the potential superstar assessment that seems to be the consensus view of the young SS, but Bradley is probably my favorite prospect in our system right now. He's just about a perfect leadoff hitter and covers center field just about as well as anyone. Not only that but he has a very good arm, which is what he brings to the table that Ellsbury doesn't. Plus the guy's a two time CWS MVP. I'm actually making it a point to go to opening day in Portland just so I'm sure to be able to see Bradley play at Hadlock Field as I don't think he'll be there long.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So I really like Bogaerts and all, and don't disagree at all with the potential superstar assessment that seems to be the consensus view of the young SS, but Bradley is probably my favorite prospect in our system right now. He's just about a perfect leadoff hitter and covers center field just about as well as anyone. Not only that but he has a very good arm, which is what he brings to the table that Ellsbury doesn't. Plus the guy's a two time CWS MVP. I'm actually making it a point to go to opening day in Portland just so I'm sure to be able to see Bradley play at Hadlock Field as I don't think he'll be there long.

I hope you are right about Bradley. He certainly has the tools, but as notin points out, compare his numbers to Kalish, and there is not much difference to this point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I hope you are right about Bradley. He certainly has the tools, but as notin points out, compare his numbers to Kalish, and there is not much difference to this point.

His numbers took a pretty big hit toward the end of the year. Mike Andrews correctly points out that he probably started to wear down as the year went on. That's pretty typical for college players in their first full year of pro ball, and we saw the same thing I think with Barnes. I think what he did at Salem and when he first came up to Portland is more indicative of who he really is than his numbers after he hit the wall so to speak. But then again, I tend to be pretty optimistic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Matt Barnes... (I love this guy!)

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/top-40-season-in-review-matt-barnes.html

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

5 years ago, we had these guys on soxprospects.com's top 20 list:

Ellsbury, Buch, Pedey, Bowden, Bard, Kottaras, D Murphey, B Moss, Doubront & Lowrie...

6 year ago:

Lester, Papelbon, Hansen, Delcarmen, Ells, Lowrie, Buch, Murphy, Moss, Bowden, Alvarez, Doubront, Cla Merideth...

7 years ago:

add HanRam, Shoppach, A Sanchez

8 years ago:

add Youk

9 years ago:

add F Sanchez, J de la Rosa, Gabbard

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its a smart move to keep ALL of our top pitching prospects. Barnes is looking very solid. I cant wait to see how he handles AA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox sign Mitch Maier... ("organizational OF depth")

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/11/red-sox-sign-outfielder-mitch-maier-to.html

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if Oakland values Lava highly.

Sections
Shortcuts