I wonder if Oakland values Lava highly.

You really want Anderson, dont you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think moon may have brought that up due to the D Ross signing. You have to figure one of the catchers is on the block. I'd prefer to see Salty dealt as he's in his last arb year and I still believe in Lavarnaway's bat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

I think moon may have brought that up due to the D Ross signing. You have to figure one of the catchers is on the block. I'd prefer to see Salty dealt as he's in his last arb year and I still believe in Lavarnaway's bat.

The more I read about Anderson, yes, I really see him as the number one target, as do many GMs.

I think Salty is the likely catcher to be traded this winter, but his contract is too much for Oakland. I suppose we could pay part of his deal, but they may want a more longterm catching option (Lava or Swihart). Perhaps, we could extend Salty and then trade him, but his cost will be too high for the A's liking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The more I read about Anderson, yes, I really see him as the number one target, as do many GMs.

I think Salty is the likely catcher to be traded this winter, but his contract is too much for Oakland. I suppose we could pay part of his deal, but they may want a more longterm catching option (Lava or Swihart). Perhaps, we could extend Salty and then trade him, but his cost will be too high for the A's liking.

so youd be in favor of dealing lava in a package for anderson? then maybe we deal salty for prospects to be used in a deal and sign napoli to platoon with ross at C and play 1st base

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I don't want Napoli. I think Salty is better and way cheaper. 

If we trade Lava, I'd look to try and extend Salty. 

I could also see trading both Salty and Lava and go with my idea to trade Ellsbury and Butler for Sergio Romo and Hector Sanchez. (If we have to throw in a mid level prospect like Vinicio or Lin, then fine.)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I don't want Napoli. I think Salty is better and way cheaper. 

If we trade Lava, I'd look to try and extend Salty. 

I could also see trading both Salty and Lava and go with my idea to trade Ellsbury and Butler for Sergio Romo and Hector Sanchez. (If we have to throw in a mid level prospect like Vinicio or Lin, then fine.)

Well, I dont see Lav as the "catcher of the future" like some do here. I think Swihart or Vasquez have a much better shot at it, but are at least 2 more years away. Not before 2015.

Lav has a great bat and I think we are missing out on that because hes behind the plate. The Sox want both from him and Im not sure hes ever going to be a great defensive catcher.

Id keep him, but give him a 1b mit and send him to AAA to start the season. Big 6'4 230LB 1b smacking 30Hr with a high OBP and SLG. Get a stop gap for a year.

I do like Salty, but if we can get something for him, then I guess they should do it.

Although I would keep Butler and platoon him with Ross. Both are solid defensively and both have a little pop in their bat.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Good for Lin. I hope he gets some regular playing time somewhere. Hoiuston is the perfect place for that. theyre gonna love his arm and defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SindarinEribor's comment:

Oct. 26, 2012

The Houston Astros have claimed outfielder Che-Hsuan Lin off waivers, the team announced Friday, designating pitcher Enerio Del Rosario for assignment to clear space on the 40-man roster.

Lin, who is known more for his defensive prowess in the outfield than for his bat, hit .247/.323/.316 in 445 plate appearances with 15 stolen bases for Triple-A Pawtucket this season.

Lin also played in nine games for the Red Sox this year, collecting three singles and a run in 12 plate appearances.

The Lin I mentioned in my trade proposal was 18 year old Tzu-Wei Lin (SS).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I believe in Lavs bat to carnie. Just not his catching ability long term.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Lava's got as good arm and is probably pretty smart, but he does look a bit stiff out there. I just don't see us moving Lava at this point, until we know for sure he can't catch well enough.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Lava's got as good arm and is probably pretty smart, but he does look a bit stiff out there. I just don't see us moving Lava at this point, until we know for sure he can't catch well enough.

Most scouts have said, and are still saying after seeing him this year, that his lack of athleticism will stop him from being an everyday catcher..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Most scouts have said, and are still saying after seeing him this year, that his lack of athleticism will stop him from being an everyday catcher..

I do think he projects as a DH/back-up catcher, which might work for us after Papi retires before 2015. Since he hits LHPs better, he'd only platoon for about 55-65 games a year at catcher.

He may end up ast 1B if he proves he can hit ML pitching close to how he did in the minors, but I don't see him helping us at 1B in 2013 or 2014.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I do think he projects as a DH/back-up catcher, which might work for us after Papi retires before 2015. Since he hits LHPs better, he'd only platoon for about 55-65 games a year at catcher.

He may end up ast 1B if he proves he can hit ML pitching close to how he did in the minors, but I don't see him helping us at 1B in 2013 or 2014.

Thats probably why they said Ross will play more than a buckup but less than a ft starter. Lav will get enough time to develop (2 years, papi and Ross deals) to see if he can develop. I think theyre hoping one of the kids (Swihart/Vasquez) or someone else if these guys arent ready yet, can step in and either take over or platoon with lav or another backstop if they move Lav off catching...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Haven't heard much on any offers for Salty or Lava thus far.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Haven't heard much on any offers for Salty or Lava thus far.

Nope, not even a whisper. Some talks on forums about Theo taking Salty back, but thats just fan talk.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It's early yet...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

It's early yet...

Im sure we'll here all sorts of rumors in a couple weeks at the winter meeting.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I have a hunch something may happen earlier.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I have a hunch something may happen earlier.

Some here are all up in arms that the Jays made a move and the Sox didnt. The Sox were in on JJ and Reyes from all reports, but werent willing to part with the prospects the Jays were.

I hope BC doesnt make a reactionary move like a few here would like him to just to counter what the jays did. he needs to just stick to his plan and not worry what they just did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

It's funny. We're barely 2 weeks into November and already people are bashing Ben for not having his outfield and rotation set. All I can say is I'm glad they're not running the Red Sox. Ben really needs to be patient this off season and get good value in any deals he makes. That won't happen if he grabs the first deal that comes along, whether it's trades or free agency. I think over the long haul the Jays get the worst of this deal. Red Sox fans should know from experience that the Marlins are going to get very good prospects (Ramirez, Sanchez) when they deal a ML starting pitcher. And call me a knucklehead, but I've never liked Josh Johnson that much.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm glad we passed on the Marlin rejects.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Toronto saw that the NYY are aging, the Sox are in trouble, the rays have no offense and the O's were fairly lucky last year. Now was the perfect time for them to go for it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Those "Marlin rejects" posted the following WAR in Miami's down year: Jose Reyes 4.5, Josh Johnson 3.8, Mark Buehrle 2.1, John Buck 1.2 and Emilio Bonifacio 0.6.

The Red Sox "rejects" posted the following WAR in 2012: Adrian Gonzalez 3.6, Josh Beckett 2.3, Nick Punto 0.5 and Carl Crawford 0.4.

I'm not saying the Red Sox should have pursued the Miami package, but the players were hardly rejects.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

bump

Sections
Shortcuts