Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

What Red Sox prospects will be exposed to the Rule 5 draft?

Tuesdsay at 11:59 pm is the deadline for submitting the 40-man roster, which protects players from the Rule 5 draft.

Has the Boston media had a recent report on the candidates?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

The guys who are eligible for rule 5 if they're not added are:

Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Luis Bastardo, Jeremiah Bayer, Ronald Bermudez, Carson Blair, Dan Butler, Miguel Celestino, William Cuevas, Jose De La Torre, Ryan Dent, Marco Duarte, Leonel Escobar, Josh Fields, Jose Garcia, Zach Gentile, Derrik Gibson, Aly Gonzalez, Alex Hassan, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Drew Hedman, Jon Hee, Pete Hissey, Brock Huntzinger, Jeremy Kehrt, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Gerardo Olivares, Oscar Perez, Ryan Pressly, Manny Rivera, Charle Rosario, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Matt Spring, Kyle Stroup, Tony Thomas, Christian Vazquez, Raynel Velette, Allen Webster, Ryan Westmoreland, Shannon Wilkerson, Tyler Wilson, Alex Wilson, and Steven Wright.

I could see the Sox trying to protect Balcom-Miller, Allen Webster, Dan Butler, Josh Fields, Christian Vazquez, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Wilson or Steven Wright. The Boston Red Sox currently have 39 spots taken on the 40 man roster. Mike Andrews thinks the primary candidates to be added to the 40 man roster are Webster, Vazquez and Alex Wilson.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

The guys who are eligible for rule 5 if they're not added are: Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Luis Bastardo, Jeremiah Bayer, Ronald Bermudez, Carson Blair, Dan Butler, Miguel Celestino, William Cuevas, Jose De La Torre, Ryan Dent, Marco Duarte, Leonel Escobar, Josh Fields, Jose Garcia, Zach Gentile, Derrik Gibson, Aly Gonzalez, Alex Hassan, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Drew Hedman, Jon Hee, Pete Hissey, Brock Huntzinger, Jeremy Kehrt, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Gerardo Olivares, Oscar Perez, Ryan Pressly, Manny Rivera, Charle Rosario, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Matt Spring, Kyle Stroup, Tony Thomas, Christian Vazquez, Raynel Velette, Allen Webster, Ryan Westmoreland, Shannon Wilkerson, Tyler Wilson, Alex Wilson, and Steven Wright. I could see the Sox trying to protect Balcom-Miller, Allen Webster, Dan Butler, Josh Fields, Christian Vazquez, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Wilson or Steven Wright. The Boston Red Sox currently have 39 spots taken on the 40 man roster. Mike Andrews thinks the primary candidates to be added to the 40 man roster are Webster, Vazquez and Alex Wilson.

Thanks ... I found it:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23742/sox-minor-league-roster-moves-expected

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

The guys who are eligible for rule 5 if they're not added are:

Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Luis Bastardo, Jeremiah Bayer, Ronald Bermudez, Carson Blair, Dan Butler, Miguel Celestino, William Cuevas, Jose De La Torre, Ryan Dent, Marco Duarte, Leonel Escobar, Josh Fields, Jose Garcia, Zach Gentile, Derrik Gibson, Aly Gonzalez, Alex Hassan, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Drew Hedman, Jon Hee, Pete Hissey, Brock Huntzinger, Jeremy Kehrt, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Gerardo Olivares, Oscar Perez, Ryan Pressly, Manny Rivera, Charle Rosario, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Matt Spring, Kyle Stroup, Tony Thomas, Christian Vazquez, Raynel Velette, Allen Webster, Ryan Westmoreland, Shannon Wilkerson, Tyler Wilson, Alex Wilson, and Steven Wright.

I could see the Sox trying to protect Balcom-Miller, Allen Webster, Dan Butler, Josh Fields, Christian Vazquez, Jeremy Hazelbaker, Alex Wilson or Steven Wright. The Boston Red Sox currently have 39 spots taken on the 40 man roster. Mike Andrews thinks the primary candidates to be added to the 40 man roster are Webster, Vazquez and Alex Wilson.

[/QUOTE]

We need to upgrade quality by trading quantity, like some 2 or 3 for one deals pronto.

Since last summer, I have been advocating trading away some or most of our players that will be free agents after 2013. If we traded some for players prospects who have not reached Rule 5 status yet, we'd solve some roster space issues. Or, we could trade 2 or 3 of these ML players for one better one.

Ellsbury, Salty, Breslow, Sweeney, & R Hill

Also, trading a couple guys who will be FAs after 2014 might not be a bad idea either:

Lester (option after '13), Bailey, Aceves, Miller & Morales

Throw in Atchison, a FA after 2015, and that makes 11 players. (I wouldn't trade Lester.) If we traded 4-6 of these 10-11 players and only got back 2-3 players that need to be on the 40 man roster, we'd be able to keep some talented players we are about to lose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

FanGraphs columnist Mike Newman on Red Sox thirdbase prospect Garin Cecchini (and the farm system):

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/garin-cecchini-rankings-vs-actual-value/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Or one could look at Cecchini as 21 yrs old and rather than concentrating on HR, hes paying attention to mechanics and form. A wrist injury in his first pro year could also be part of the lack of power this year. He had 3HR in only 32 games last year and 4 all of 2012. Maybe the power will come, maybe it wont. Time will tell. But I think he will hit more that he showed this year.

Ive already suggested a possible move to 1b for him. The power would have to develop for that to happen though. Hes got a decent OPS for 1b, but if he added to his .433 SLG, he would be more acceptable.

I try to not judge 21 yr olds in low A and predict their future like Fangraphs does. Too much can change, as a player is still learning and growing. If he was 24 and in AA or AAA, then Ok, but not 21 in low A coming off a wrint injury.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Thanks Hill, but it is early yet on Cecchini.

No mention of Bradley or Webster as impact prospects with high value. Hmm...

We also have some valuable postprospects in Lava, Kalish & de la Rosa.

I think we look pretty good in terms of total talent under the age of 25 or 26.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thanks Hill, but it is early yet on Cecchini.

No mention of Bradley or Webster as impact prospects with high value. Hmm...

We also have some valuable postprospects in Lava, Kalish & de la Rosa.

I think we look pretty good in terms of total talent under the age of 25 or 26.

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey, south, did you use invisible ink on your last post?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey, south, did you use invisible ink on your last post?

[/QUOTE]

not sure what happened there. I went to edit what i posted and it came up like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, any word on who will be Rule 5'ed?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

So, any word on who will be Rule 5'ed?

[/QUOTE]

We will find out by midnight tonight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hazelbaker.  His stats are just as good as those of the highly regarded Bradley and Brentz. He has a combination of speed and power.  He is 25. That could be a problem. Brentz is 24. Bradley is 22. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see what happens with Hazelbaker.  His stats are just as good as those of the highly regarded Bradley and Brentz. He has a combination of speed and power.  He is 25. That could be a problem. Brentz is 24. Bradley is 22. 

[/QUOTE]

We should have made some 2 or 3 for 1 deals, so we could have kept these guys.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bradley posted an OPS of 1.006 at Salem and an OPS of .803 at Portland this year. Brentz went .833 at Portland and was on fire during the IL playoffs this year. Hazelbaker meanwhile posted an .818 line at Portland and a .648 in a small sample size at Pawtucket. He had a nice year and does have some speed, but he doesn't have the pop of Brentz. Comparing him to Bradley is kind of ridiculous IMO. Fortunately neither Bradley nor Brentz needs to be protected from the rule 5 draft yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Well , that is what I am saying.  An .818 OPs compares favorably to .833 and .803.     Hazelbaker also had 33 stolen bases. As for pop ; Brentz had 17 homers at Portland. Hazelbaker had 19 , in fewer at bats.   I have never seen any of the three play. Just going by their performance in AA this year. I think the Sox should make an effort to hold onto Hazelbaker for another year and see what happens in 2013.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Well , that is what I am saying.  An .818 OPs compares favorably to .833 and .803.     Hazelbaker also had 33 stolen bases. As for pop ; Brentz had 17 homers at Portland. Hazelbaker had 19 , in fewer at bats.   I have never seen any of the three play. Just going by their performance in AA this year. I think the Sox should make an effort to hold onto Hazelbaker for another year and see what happens in 2013.

[/QUOTE]

Brentz does have more natural power than hazelbaker. Haze might be a perfect "late bloomer" candidate, but now the Sox have to many other options to protect.

If some team gets him, at a minimum, hes a good 4th OF and can pinch run late in a a game. At best, I see him as a starting OF with decent stats, but not AS material.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So the 40 man roster is set. The Sox DFA'd deJesus, Valencia, D Carpenter, Stewart and Rosario. They added Webster, Wright, Wilson, Vazquez, Butler and Hassan. It looks like at least Hazelbaker and Josh Fields could be good candidates for another team to pick up. I have to wonder why Stolmy Pimentel is taking up a roster spot.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

So the 40 man roster is set. The Sox DFA'd deJesus, Valencia, D Carpenter, Stewart and Rosario. They added Webster, Wright, Wilson, Vazquez, Butler and Hassan. It looks like at least Hazelbaker and Josh Fields could be good candidates for another team to pick up. I have to wonder why Stolmy Pimentel is taking up a roster spot.

[/QUOTE]

I think they put him in the pen this year and want to see how his stuff translates when "letting it fly" for one inning...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

From soxprospects.com...

All five players designated for assignment had been acquired by the Red Sox since the beginning of the 2012 season. Stewart in the trade for Kevin Youkilis in June, Valencia in exchange forJeremias Pineda in August, De Jesus in the August mega-trade with the Dodgers, Carpenter in the recent compensation deal along with manager John Farrell in exchange for  Mike Aviles, and Rosario on a waiver claim in October.   A few other players that were not added to the 40-man despite some speculation they would include pitchers Josh Fields and Brock Huntzinger and outfielder Jeremy Hazelbaker. Fields, a 2008 first-round pick of the Seattle Mariners who came to Boston as part of the Erik Bedard deal, began to harness his explosive fastball in 2012, posting big strikeout numbers at Pawtucket and Portland. Huntzinger would have been considered a long-shot for a roster spot back in April after four starts at Portland left him with a 9.19 ERA, continuing a trend of frustration after initial success with Lowell back in 2008. However, his stuff began to play up after a move to the bullpen, and he earned a late season promotion to Pawtucket. Hazelbaker's combination of power and speed has long been enticing. That mix of skills let to 19 home runs and 36 stolen bases between Portland and Pawtucket in 2009.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

All the prospects, except Brentz, that played in the AFL were left unprotected...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wonder if there are any rule 5 players we will draft. Since we have a higher pick than normal, maybe we can strike gold.

Anybody see any interesting names of players not protected by other teams?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I wonder if there are any rule 5 players we will draft. Since we have a higher pick than normal, maybe we can strike gold.

Anybody see any interesting names of players not protected by other teams?

[/QUOTE]

Havent seen anyone we would keep on the MLB team yet...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals soon, maybe we can find a gem somewhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

If we make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals soon, maybe we can find a gem somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

I was looking some possible non-tendered cadidates if we dont sign one of the big names due to their demands (length of contract)

Interesting name at 1b is Daric Barton...only PT the last couple years, but in 2010 his numbers looked like something Ben would consider.

Still havent seen any name on the rule-5 draft for possibilities...

Sections
Shortcuts