Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'd put de la Rosa at #7 or 8 and Sands at #17 tops until he proves it's not a PCL thing.

[/QUOTE]

De La Rosa will be top 5 for sure, and maybe top 2. Sands is not much

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Id put De La Rosa in the bottom half of the top ten, but I think he has the potential to be as good as Barnes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

I don't think De La Rosa is prospect eligible - he threw 61 innings in 2011.

Here's another guy starting to get some attention - Jamie Callahan.  http://soxprospects.com/players/callahan-jamie.htm

Long ways away, but a 17-year-old with a nice curve, who can hit 95 on the gun can rise quickly up the prospect lists.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Good point.

We do have a lot of players that are just barely not eligible for the "prospect list":

de la Rosa

Middlebrooks

Lavarnway

Tazawa

Stewart

Kalish

Maybe others I am forgetting.

Here's another guy starting to get some attention - Jamie Callahan.  http://soxprospects.com/players/callahan-jamie.htm

Long ways away, but a 17-year-old with a nice curve, who can hit 95 on the gun can rise quickly up the prospect lists.

I think our system is pretty deep from top to bottom, especially after the AGon trade. We added:

#4 Webster

~#15-20? Sands

#34 DeJesus

"non-prospect" de la Rosa.

The more I think about the trade and the fact that  AGon's position should be able to be replaced at $22M/yr, the trade was pretty close to even before you even add in the CC, Beckett and Punto salary dump portion of the deal! Yes, had we traded AGon alone, we could have done better in returned prospects, but I'm liking these kids more and more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Sox Prospects listed here definitely have the coolest names of any list...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to slomag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Ive heard good stuff about this kid when they drafted him. Just turned 18 in August with a lot of potential. Theres that word again...I never get too amped up about 18yr old pitchers. I'll Let him get to AA and perform well there before I get all worked up.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We have 6 years of control over Bogaerts. Do we want those years to be as a relatively 23 or 24 year old player capable of sticking at SS or do we want to rush him to the majors for his bat as a 21-22 year old OF or 1st baseman?

Seems like a no brainer to me. His error rate hasn't been bad for a 19 year old at SS. And he is a very athletic guy. He is big and raw but he has an arm and the potential to become more comfortable at the position. Potentially average range, which is most important. And imagine his value if he actually does stick at SS. He would be the kind of player teams could build some championships around. 

A 30 HR, middle of the order bat with 300 average and a .380 OBP kind of guy at SS. He projects as a better hitter than Middlebrooks at this point ( of course things can change ). We become a much better team if guys like Bogaerts and Middlebrooks live up to their full potential.

I'm also hopeful for some of these young pitchers we just drafted. Butrey, Calahan, Johnson...etc. Maybe we have some keepers there even though they were not top 10 type guys. They were top 200 type guys though and sometimes with HS arms you get a stud when you are collecting a lot of top 200 type players. I like what they did, with the draft opportunities they had available. They went with high upside arms as their primary focus as it is the key to winning gooing forward. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...it's not surprising to see him exposed on the big stage. 

I'm not as high on Brentz as many here, but dude, it was one game. To say someone was "exposed" based on a one game sample size exposes you as a fraud. Anybody who actually follows baseball know that even the greatest of the greatest can have one bad game even "on the big stage". Heck, many have several bad games in a row, but still maintain their greatness.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

We have 6 years of control over Bogaerts. Do we want those years to be as a relatively 23 or 24 year old player capable of sticking at SS or do we want to rush him to the majors for his bat as a 21-22 year old OF or 1st baseman?

Seems like a no brainer to me. His error rate hasn't been bad for a 19 year old at SS. And he is a very athletic guy. He is big and raw but he has an arm and the potential to become more comfortable at the position. Potentially average range, which is most important. And imagine his value if he actually does stick at SS. He would be the kind of player teams could build some championships around. 

A 30 HR, middle of the order bat with 300 average and a .380 OBP kind of guy at SS. He projects as a better hitter than Middlebrooks at this point ( of course things can change ). We become a much better team if guys like Bogaerts and Middlebrooks live up to their full potential.

I'm also hopeful for some of these young pitchers we just drafted. Butrey, Calahan, Johnson...etc. Maybe we have some keepers there even though they were not top 10 type guys. They were top 200 type guys though and sometimes with HS arms you get a stud when you are collecting a lot of top 200 type players. I like what they did, with the draft opportunities they had available. They went with high upside arms as their primary focus as it is the key to winning gooing forward. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Bogaerts make it at SS, and you are right, he needs to stay there until he proves he does or does not belong there, however, my gut tells me, he might be best utilized at 3B, 2B or even 1B despite our great need for a solid all around SS.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Thanks to Moon and the rest of the contributors (with one notable exception) for all the info on Sox minor leaguers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Typical one bad game

When his career has been on the small stage, it's not surprising to see him exposed on the big stage. Brentz as a career long term starter MLB career is a pipe dream. Bryce Harper looks like Babe Ruth compared to this tweener.

[/QUOTE]

Your the only one here comparing him to a rare talent (Harper). All Ive said is I think Brentz would be a solid RF for the Sox. Ya think you can blow things more out of proportion? Clown...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

We might see our top position players prospects in 2013.  Exciting already.. I hoped Bogaerts, Brentz and Bradley would see some times at the majors this year just to be added in MLB the show 13. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Barnes , Bradley and Brentz have good potential , but Bogaerts is clearly our most outstanding prospect.  He is the one who could become a superstar.  However , it should not be at shortstop.  If you have been watching the games recently , you would see that Iglesias is truly sensational at short.  Actually , watching him play short has been one of the few reasons to even watch these end of season games.   He has to stay there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Barnes , Bradley and Brentz have good potential , but Bogaerts is clearly our most outstanding prospect.  He is the one who could become a superstar.  However , it should not be at shortstop.  If you have been watching the games recently , you would see that Iglesias is truly sensational at short.  Actually , watching him play short has been one of the few reasons to even watch these end of season games.   He has to stay there.

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

Typical one bad game

When his career has been on the small stage, it's not surprising to see him exposed on the big stage. Brentz as a career long term starter MLB career is a pipe dream. Bryce Harper looks like Babe Ruth compared to this tweener.

[/QUOTE]

Brentz as a career long term starter major league baseball career is a pipe dream?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]

To say someone was "exposed" based on a one game sample size exposes you as a fraud

Only a mental midget would be unable to comprehend that Brentz is exposed as a fraud when he's being puffed up by Southpaux as a long term career MLB starter in the OF. When his career ends up as nothing more than most seasons as a platoon/bench type of MLB career, you'll be claiming the standard lie of claiming I said he'd never make it on a MLB roster.

Anyone who was so stupid as to offer Tim Wastefield 2 million, then 1 million, then three quarters of a million for 2012, where there was no market for the fat bum, is exposed as the fraud who has the audacity to claim "realistic" post total puffing drivel.

[/QUOTE]

When his career ends up as nothing more than most seasons as a platoon/bench type or major league baseball career, you'll be claiming the standard lie of claiming I said he'd never make it on a major league baseball roster?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Currently Iggy is by far the better SS defensively, but Bogaerts bat would make up for that and "X" has improved from last year on his D.

If Iggy can bring up his BA and OBP, then he could make more of a case to remain at SS. But if hes going to hit around the Mendoza line and have an OBP under .300, its going to be a tough call to keep him there if Bogaerts is knocking on the door.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

You really need to relax and take your time.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Thanks.

I really think Bogaerts' best long term fit in Boston is in RF, and I've been saying this for months. He's athletic enought to cover the ground out there and he has a very good arm. Our farm system is currently loaded with SS prospects besides just Iggy and Bogaerts. There's also the fact that Bogaerts' bat would play very well in the OF.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

I really think Bogaerts' best long term fit in Boston is in RF, and I've been saying this for months. He's athletic enought to cover the ground out there and he has a very good arm. Our farm system is currently loaded with SS prospects besides just Iggy and Bogaerts. There's also the fact that Bogaerts' bat would play very well in the OF.

[/QUOTE]

If he does end up in the OF, I think LF might be a better fit. Although ive never seen him play the OF at all.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to snakeoil123's comment:

Brentz as a career long term starter major league baseball career is a pipe dream?

This coming from the same guy that called Jackie Bradley Jr. a pipe dream in April is not that surprising. softlaw has changed his tune so many times I doubt he even knows what song he's singing anymore.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

If he does end up in the OF, I think LF might be a better fit. Although ive never seen him play the OF at all.

[/QUOTE]Why LF? It seems to me that an arm that good would be wasted in left.

Sections
Shortcuts