In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Moon...DeLaRosa sandwiched between Ranaudo and Britton? Surely you jest. He should be number 2. Last yr at 22 yrs old he started 10 games for the dodgers and went 4-5 with a 3.71 era and a 1.40 whip while striking out 60 in 60 inn of work. He has dominated at every level in the minors and can dial it up to 97/98 mph. His stuff is electric, and RAW....who isn't,t raw at 23 yrs old. Barnes hasn't been above high A yet at pretty much the same age....cmon

I wouldn't argue with anyone who has him higher, but I would never brag about a 1.40 WHIP either.

He has a 4.8 BB/9 rate.

His ERA+ is 93 (the Dodger Park influence).

This is a small sample size. I am not judging him by these or your 10 game numbers. He has some great upside, but he also has a 4.0  BB/9 rate in the minors as well in 233 IP.  Mabe he will become the next Andrew Miller: maybe not.

[/QUOTE]

Franklin Morales in 256 career inn has a 4.5 bb/9, a 1.40 whip, and a 4.36 era and is 3 yrs older. F Doubront has a career 4.90 era, a 4.2 bb/9 and a 1.49 whip. Also...2 yrs older. J Tazawa in 69 inn has a 3.89 era, a 1.41 whip, though a good 1.9 bb/9. also though...3 yrs older. the bottom line is your wrong. you talk about trotter or whatever his name is never addmitting fault. My guess is if you asked 10 pro evaluaters de la rosa would be ranked a top 3 prospect in our system. Because of his age, and his stuff

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I would not argue with those who put de la Rosa higher. I admit I am not an expert of prospect evaluation.

BTW, I have admitted to more mistakes and faulty projections than the rest of this board combined... no joke. (One reason is that I at least have the huevos to make yearly player projections, specific trade suggestions, and statements of clear opinions that I am willing to change and say that I have changed my position as new information is revealed. I have always believed that admitting one's mistkes is a sign of strength not weakness.) I could provide a list of some of my greatest recent mistakes if you care to know.

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

Please do...give us your top 10 most recent mr baseball.....

[/QUOTE]

Mr Baseball? Hmmm, I like that...My top 10 prospects as i see them? Ok

1) Bogaerts

2) Barnes

3) Bradley

4) Brentz

5) Cecchini

6) Webster

7) De La Rosa

8) Owens

9) Swihart

10) Britton

I have high hopes for Shaw, Buttrey, Montas and Lin (SS). Also like what Josh Fields is doing in the pen.

[/QUOTE]

Great list. Would put Cecchini above Brentz only. I saw him play hseniors or yr of hs at a tourn in Georgia. Was clearly the best player on the field on a field with a ton of high picks etc....He is a five tool player that is going to make a VERY good pro somewhere. A dirt dog, grinder, high obp guy that will hit a ton of doubles and 20 plus hrs...

[/QUOTE]

I would be Ok with that...Cecchini is looking very good so far...Who thought he would have that many SB? Gotta see how he handles AA though, which was the only reason I put him behind Brentz. For me, I like to see how they handle AA before i really start considering them as a potential major leaguer. Pitching is better and for pitchers, the hitting is more advanced as well. But Cecchini looks to be a future MLB player so far...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

Great list. Would put Cecchini above Brentz only. I saw him play hseniors or yr of hs at a tourn in Georgia. Was clearly the best player on the field on a field with a ton of high picks etc....He is a five tool player that is going to make a VERY good pro somewhere. A dirt dog, grinder, high obp guy that will hit a ton of doubles and 20 plus hrs...

Last winter, I said I liked Cecchini better than Middlebrooks. Hopefully, I turn out right, but not because "Will-da-beast" tanks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It is all guess work. We are trying to evaluate players who we have never seen play.  One person's opinion is as good as the next, since we are all looking at the same stats. 

[/QUOTE]

Although im not a scout or ever could be, I have seen a few of these guys on my list play live.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Moon...DeLaRosa sandwiched between Ranaudo and Britton? Surely you jest. He should be number 2. Last yr at 22 yrs old he started 10 games for the dodgers and went 4-5 with a 3.71 era and a 1.40 whip while striking out 60 in 60 inn of work. He has dominated at every level in the minors and can dial it up to 97/98 mph. His stuff is electric, and RAW....who isn't,t raw at 23 yrs old. Barnes hasn't been above high A yet at pretty much the same age....cmon

I wouldn't argue with anyone who has him higher, but I would never brag about a 1.40 WHIP either.

He has a 4.8 BB/9 rate.

This is a small sample size. I am not judging him by these or your 10 game numbers. He has some great upside, but he also has a 4.0  BB/9 rate in the minors as well in 233 IP.  Mabe he will become the next Andrew Miller: maybe not.

[/QUOTE]

Franklin Morales in 256 career inn has a 4.5 bb/9, a 1.40 whip, and a 4.36 era and is 3 yrs older. F Doubront has a career 4.90 era, a 4.2 bb/9 and a 1.49 whip. Also...2 yrs older. J Tazawa in 69 inn has a 3.89 era, a 1.41 whip, though a good 1.9 bb/9. also though...3 yrs older. the bottom line is your wrong. you talk about trotter or whatever his name is never addmitting fault. My guess is if you asked 10 pro evaluaters de la rosa would be ranked a top 3 prospect in our system. Because of his age, and his stuff

[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I would not argue with those who put de la Rosa higher. I admit I am not an expert of prospect evaluation.

BTW, I have admitted to more mistakes and faulty projections than the rest of this board combined... no joke. (One reason is that I at least have the huevos to make yearly player projections, specific trade suggestions, and statements of clear opinions that I am willing to change and say that I have changed my position as new information is revealed. I have always believed that admitting one's mistkes is a sign of strength not weakness.) I could provide a list of some of my greatest recent mistakes if you care to know.

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) Bogaerts

2) Barnes

3) Bradley

4) Brentz

5) Cecchini

6) Webster

7) De La Rosa

8) Owens

9) Swihart

10) Britton

I have high hopes for Shaw, Buttrey, Montas and Lin (SS). Also like what Josh Fields is doing in the pen.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would be Ok with that...Cecchini is looking very good so far...Who thought he would have that many SB? Gotta see how he handles AA though, which was the only reason I put him behind Brentz. For me, I like to see how they handle AA before i really start considering them as a potential major leaguer. Pitching is better and for pitchers, the hitting is more advanced as well. But Cecchini looks to be a future MLB player so far...

[/QUOTE]

Your absolutly right. AA is the big test. He's at the right age though, 21 at high A. if he duplicates, or comes close to what he did this yr, he'll be on fast track. Really reminds me of a big Pedey. At 6' 2" 200lbs...not super fast, but fast enough ( around a 6.8 sixty ) and smart. On a diff note, how about moving ells to Sea for Paxton and we take Figgins off there hands. That would be about the best we re gonna do for him cause he really hurt his value by not playing. Paxton is thier 3rd rated pitching prospect ( prob slotted as a 3 or 4 guy) and they could use Ells prob nxt yr. They re actually not that bad, and it would give us another chip in a year or two to package or develop. The more pitching closer to the bigs the better is the way I see it

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Franklin Morales in 256 career inn has a 4.5 bb/9, a 1.40 whip, and a 4.36 era and is 3 yrs older...

You don't think playing in Colorado had anything to do with it?

His ERA+ has been 120 and 115 the last 2 years and 105 career. He's been under the 4.5 BB/9 rate in 3 of the last 4 years, but even at 3.5 like this year, it is a concern. His WHIP has been under 1.275 the last 2 years. He's also striking out more hitters this year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He has a 4.8 BB/9 rate.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

1) Bogaerts

2) Barnes

3) Bradley

4) Brentz

5) Cecchini

6) Webster

7) De La Rosa

8) Owens

9) Swihart

10) Britton

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Your absolutly right. AA is the big test. He's at the right age though, 21 at high A. if he duplicates, or comes close to what he did this yr, he'll be on fast track. Really reminds me of a big Pedey. At 6' 2" 200lbs...not super fast, but fast enough ( around a 6.8 sixty ) and smart. On a diff note, how about moving ells to Sea for Paxton and we take Figgins off there hands. That would be about the best we re gonna do for him cause he really hurt his value by not playing. Paxton is thier 3rd rated pitching prospect ( prob slotted as a 3 or 4 guy) and they could use Ells prob nxt yr. They re actually not that bad, and it would give us another chip in a year or two to package or develop. The more pitching closer to the bigs the better is the way I see it

[/QUOTE]

Ive mentioned this before but without naming which Seattle pitcher as Im not too familiar with them..I love this idea, and taking on figgins contract for 2013...I dont think he would get 600 Pa in Boston so the 2014 option wouldnt vest. hes only owed 8mm for 2013 which would be a small price to pay for a good pitching prospect with high upside and years of control...Ells is from Oregon and Seattle has the $$ if they want to offer him a deal...I would imagine Seattle would probably want another cost-controled prospect come their way in the deal too as Ells isnt a guarrentee beyond 2013...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

rank
    (9/20 rank) name
    position, team
    age draft era
    avg
    whip
    obp
    k's
    slg
    bb
    hr
    ip
    ab
    grade 1
    (1) Xander Bogaerts
    SS, Portland 19 2009
    IFA .307 .373 .523 20 476 8
    5-10 ● Mike Andrews - Top 10 at season's end (9/26) 2
    (2) Matt Barnes
    SP, Salem 22 2011
    1st 2.86 1.05 91 25 93.0 8
    5-9 ● 2012 SoxProspects.com Pitcher of the Year, Rookie of the Year 3
    (3) Jackie Bradley
    OF, Portland 22 2011
    1S .315 .430 .482 9 463 8
    5-9 ● 2012 SoxProspects.com Breakout Player of the Year 4
    (4) Allen Webster
    SP, Portland 22 2008
    18th 3.86 1.48 129 61 130.2 7
    5-8 ● Chris Mellen - The Book: Allen Webster (8/30) 5
    (5) Bryce Brentz
    OF, Pawtucket 23 2010
    1S .290 .349 .465 17 473 7
    4-8 ● Matt Huegel - Brentz, Hazelbaker thrown into the fire (9/10) 6
    (6) Garin Cecchini
    3B, Greenville 21 2010
    4th .305 .394 .433 4 455 7
    4-9 ● Chris Mellen - The Book: Assessing the A-Ball crop (9/10) 7
    (7) Blake Swihart
    C, Greenville 20 2011
    1st .262 .307 .395 7 344 7
    3-9   8
    (8) Henry Owens
    SP, Greenville 20 2011
    1S 4.87 1.45 130 47 101.2 7
    3-8 ● James Dunne - 2012 SoxProspects All-Stars (9/11) 9
    (9) Jose Iglesias
    SS, Boston 40 22 2009
    IFA .118 .224 .196 1 51 7
    5-8 ● Chris Mellen - The Book: Positioned at the upper levels (8/20) 10
    (10) Drake Britton
    SP, Portland 40 23 2007
    23rd 4.45 1.43 118 57 129.1 6
    4-7 ● Chris Mellen - The Book: Drake Britton (9/6)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Is Iggy still considered a prospect? Not sure the rules..is it 60 MLB games?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

[QUOTE]

Is Iggy still considered a prospect? Not sure the rules..is it 60 MLB games?

[/QUOTE]

I Thought Half A Season, But Most Likly Iam Wrong.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE][Is Iggy still considered a prospect? Not sure the rules..is it 60 MLB games?

I Thought Half A Season, But Most Likly Iam Wrong.....[/QUOTE]

Jose Iglesias, who has 59 MLB at-bats as I write, remains a prospect under most definitions until he accumulates 130 MLB at-bats.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]Your absolutly right. AA is the big test. He's at the right age though, 21 at high A. if he duplicates, or comes close to what he did this yr, he'll be on fast track. Really reminds me of a big Pedey. At 6' 2" 200lbs...not super fast, but fast enough ( around a 6.8 sixty ) and smart. On a diff note, how about moving ells to Sea for Paxton and we take Figgins off there hands. That would be about the best we re gonna do for him cause he really hurt his value by not playing. Paxton is thier 3rd rated pitching prospect ( prob slotted as a 3 or 4 guy) and they could use Ells prob nxt yr. They re actually not that bad, and it would give us another chip in a year or two to package or develop. The more pitching closer to the bigs the better is the way I see it

Ive mentioned this before but without naming which Seattle pitcher as Im not too familiar with them..I love this idea, and taking on figgins contract for 2013...I dont think he would get 600 Pa in Boston so the 2014 option wouldnt vest. hes only owed 8mm for 2013 which would be a small price to pay for a good pitching prospect with high upside and years of control...Ells is from Oregon and Seattle has the $$ if they want to offer him a deal...I would imagine Seattle would probably want another cost-controled prospect come their way in the deal too as Ells isnt a guarrentee beyond 2013...[/QUOTE]
    I suspect Seattle would be interested in that deal even though Jacoby Ellsbury's already-lagging numbers could suffer at Safeco Field and even though the Mariners might not be contenders in 2013, the final year of team control over Ellsbury.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Your absolutly right. AA is the big test. He's at the right age though, 21 at high A. if he duplicates, or comes close to what he did this yr, he'll be on fast track. Really reminds me of a big Pedey. At 6' 2" 200lbs...not super fast, but fast enough ( around a 6.8 sixty ) and smart. On a diff note, how about moving ells to Sea for Paxton and we take Figgins off there hands. That would be about the best we re gonna do for him cause he really hurt his value by not playing. Paxton is thier 3rd rated pitching prospect ( prob slotted as a 3 or 4 guy) and they could use Ells prob nxt yr. They re actually not that bad, and it would give us another chip in a year or two to package or develop. The more pitching closer to the bigs the better is the way I see it

Ive mentioned this before but without naming which Seattle pitcher as Im not too familiar with them..I love this idea, and taking on figgins contract for 2013...I dont think he would get 600 Pa in Boston so the 2014 option wouldnt vest. hes only owed 8mm for 2013 which would be a small price to pay for a good pitching prospect with high upside and years of control...Ells is from Oregon and Seattle has the $$ if they want to offer him a deal...I would imagine Seattle would probably want another cost-controled prospect come their way in the deal too as Ells isnt a guarrentee beyond 2013...[/QUOTE]
    I suspect Seattle would be interested in that deal even though Jacoby Ellsbury's already-lagging numbers could suffer at Safeco Field and even though the Mariners might not be contenders in 2013, the final year of team control over Ellsbury.

[/QUOTE]

They would value the likely sandwich pick they'd get after Ellsbury walks though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

They would value the likely sandwich pick they'd get after Ellsbury walks though.

Assuming Jacoby Ellsbury performs well enough in 2013 to get a qualifying offer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

Most of these guys won't make it past AA. The Sox don't have much for prospects IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Assuming Jacoby Ellsbury performs well enough in 2013 to get a qualifying offer.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, but he doesn't need to do too much to get an offer of about $13M, which he will likely refuse.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to kjfiton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Most of these guys won't make it past AA. The Sox don't have much for prospects IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Many are already past AA, and we'll see how high several of our prospects will be rated  this winter/spring.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In response to moonslav59's comment:

Yes, but he doesn't need to do too much to get an offer of about $13M, which he will likely refuse.[/QUOTE]

Jacoby Ellsbury probably would need to roughly double his 2012 WAR of 1.4 and the signing team would need to be willing to forfeit a first-round draft pick (or a Top 10 second-round pick).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to kjfiton's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If we a talking about the top ten, or even the top 20 I'd say most of them WILL make it to at least AAA, a lot of them already have.  This doesn't come without saying some them won't be a bust.  Odds are one between Bogaerts, Bradley, and Barnes will be a bust, then again maybe not in which case we will look back at 2011 as a great draft.

I would also like to state that this Sox farm system looks like the strongest it's been in a long time, I'd still like to see some more top pitching prospects but it's strong regardless.  I do like he potential of Barnes and Webster, and I think we have a lot of younger arms that have just as much if not more potential; I have high hopes or Callahan, Owens, and Buttrey.  I will concede that the younger the arm the higher the bust potential but I like he split across all levels of our farm system in depth.