Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 56redsox's comment:
    [QUOTE][Is Iggy still considered a prospect? Not sure the rules..is it 60 MLB games?

I Thought Half A Season, But Most Likly Iam Wrong.....[/QUOTE]

Jose Iglesias, who has 59 MLB at-bats as I write, remains a prospect under most definitions until he accumulates 130 MLB at-bats.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hill

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, and Tazawa lost their "prospect status" this season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I stole this from a thread on Soxprospects.com, it was posted by a user who had archived the article.  I'm not sure if any paragraph at the end is his or not but it's a nice prospective of how other teams view our prospects from the inside out.:

"BALTIMORE -- Who are the Red Sox prospects that other teams will be asking for this winter? Many of the names are known, of course, but ESPN Boston has obtained an assessment of Boston’s top 20 minor-leaguers by pro scouts for another big-league team.

Pitcher Matt Barnes, the 6-foot-4 right-hander who was the team’s No. 1 pick in the 2011 draft, was rated as the team’s top prospect, one of a group of four prospects listed as players with a chance to star in the big leagues.

Barnes, 22, is in his second year of pro ball, pitching for Class A Salem this season, where he struck out 91 batters and walked 25 in 93 innings, posting a 1.18 WHIP. Soxprospects.com named him the team’s 2012 pitcher of the year and “rookie” of the year.

Here is the list, divided into three groups: top prospects (potential stars), average prospects (which in this case means they have a chance to be everyday players on a championship team), and fringe prospects (players with a chance to be big-leaguers). The scouts’ comments follow:

TOP PROSPECTS

1. Matt Barnes, right-handed starter (RHS): Impact RHS with 93-96-mph fastball, plus curveball, and developing changeup.
    2. Jackie Bradley Jr., CF: Denard Span with Gold Glove defense
    3. Xander Bogaerts, SS: Likely 3B. Chance to hit for average and power
    4. Allen Webster, RHS: Mid-rotation RHS; 91-95-mph fastball and above- average control and command

GOOD PROSPECTS

5. Henry Owens, left-handed starter (LHS): 6-foot-7 LHS with 130 strikouts in 102 innings pitched; age 19 at Low-A
    6. Garin Cecchini, 3B: Poor man’s Stephen Drew; good athlete/hitter
    7. Deven Marrero, SS: Impact defense at shortstop; college performer has hit
    8. Brian Johnson, LHS: Jon Niese type pitcher; advanced control and command
    9. Blake Swihart, C: Switch-hitting catcher with all five tools
    10. Brandon Jacobs, LF: Poor man’s Kevin Mitchell; ex-football star with tools

FRINGE PROSPECTS

11. Tzu-Wei Lin, SS: Taiwanese version of Hak-Ju Lee; signed for $2 million
    12. Cody Kukuk, LHS: Restricted list in ’12 (DUI), but 87-94-mph fastball with a plus curveball
    13. Bryce Brentz, RF: Jeff Francouer with more power and more strikeouts
    14. Pat Light, RHS: Potential closer touches 98 mph with above-average control and command
    15. Jamie Callahan, RHS: Young upside high school arm who throws 89-94 mph, developing off-speed
    16. Jose Vinicio, SS: Switch-hitter with speed, arm, fielding but developing hitting and power
    17. Keury de la Cruz, LF: Toolsy left-handed hitting CF 20 HRS/20 SBs in low-A at age 20
    18. Drake Britton, LHS: Control/command issues but 87-94-mph fastball with sink and off-speed pitch
    19. Mookie Betts, 2B: Small, plus-plus athletic right-handed-hitting 2B with plus speed and above-average hitting
    20. Michael Olmsted, right-handed reliever: Independent league find, had 92 strikeouts in 59 innings pitched at 2A/A+ Indy level

The scouts predicted that the Red Sox will add Olmsted to their 40-man roster, which will protect him from being selected in this December’s Rule 5 draft.

Worth noting:

-- A name certain to appear on any team's list of top Sox prospects will be pitcher Rubby de la Rosa, who will be coming to the Sox from the Dodgers as the player to be named later in the Adrian Gonzalez/Carl Crawford/Josh Beckett deal.

-- Johnson, Marrero, Light and Callahan were all drafted this year, so they cannot be traded even if the Red Sox were so inclined. One of the more surprising names on the list is Betts, who was not listed in Soxprospects.com’s Top 60. And the presence of so many players drafted in the last two years (Barnes, Bradley, Swihart, Owens and Kukuk were all drafted in 2011) speak to the impressive drafts Amiel Sawdaye has had in his last two years as scouting director."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Someone said de la Rosa has lost his prospect status.

I like Travis Shaw as my sleeper.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I saw the list of players being sent to the winter league, but can't find it now.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

http://www.soxprospects.com/fall-winter.htm

Don't see anything for most of the winter leagues yet, but they have the fall ball players.  Weird, I thought I saw winter league rosters earlier myself. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

That was all Ive seen so far Hugh. The AFL.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]Someone said de la Rosa has lost his prospect status.

I like Travis Shaw as my sleeper.[/QUOTE]
    With 61.1 innings at the MLB level, Rubby de la Rosa has exceeded the 50-inning threshold used in the most common definition of a pitching prospect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Someone said de la Rosa has lost his prospect status.

I like Travis Shaw as my sleeper.[/QUOTE]
    With 61.1 innings at the MLB level, Rubby de la Rosa has exceeded the 50-inning threshold used in the most common definition of a pitching prospect.

[/QUOTE]

What's your unbiased take on Travis Shaw, Hill?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hill?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Biggest gains with soxprospects.com from their previous ranking:

Manuel Margot    54> 22

Simon Mercedes  53>31

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Biggest gains with soxprospects.com from their previous ranking:

Manuel Margot    54> 22

Simon Mercedes  53>31

[/QUOTE]

A 17-18 yr old Margot. Did well in DSL, but thats nothing to get real excited about (not saying you are). And a 20yr old thats pitched 4 innings giving up 4 hits 2BB and 4K's...

Its nice to see the Sox think these kids deserve a push up the rankings, but still...

I understand its just the biggest movement in the farm system. When they break the top 10, Ill take more notice. Sorry if Im sounding kinda snarky, not my intent.

They spent a total of 1.6mm on them...If they both make it up to AA, Ill take them more seriously. Until then, like all our kids, I will watch their progression/digression up/down the ranks...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Hill?

I don't know enough about Travis Shaw to have an opinion. I like Shaw's OBP and K/BB numbers from High A (which remind me of Mike Carp's numbers at Double A at a similar age).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Hill?

I don't know enough about Travis Shaw to have an opinion. I like Shaw's OBP and K/BB numbers from High A (which remind me of Mike Carp's numbers at Double A at a similar age).

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Hill?

[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

[/QUOTE]

From what I hear about Shaw, Moon, I hes got some big power but gets fooled on offspeed pitches. Got a long swing.

They said that with WMB at one time too but he seems to fit well in Fenway. maybe the same for Sands. He should come into ST fighting for a 1b job or at the least, a bench role.

Got another question for ya Moon.

If the Sox were to go after Ike Davis for 1b, who would you send over to NYM? They are in need of bullpen arms which could be an advantage for us seeing we have a ton of those...And, would you even deal for him with all the news of his late night partying?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If the Sox were to go after Ike Davis for 1b, who would you send over to NYM? They are in need of bullpen arms which could be an advantage for us seeing we have a ton of those...And, would you even deal for him with all the news of his late night partying?

I admit I do not know much about this 25 year old 1Bman with 58 HRs in his first 1300 PAs.

I used to not worry about attitude that much, but I'm beginning to think I underestimated that value recently. I think we could probably give what the Mets need to get him, but I'm thinking maybe someone else might be a better fit. My guess is we may go for a 1 year bridge until we know more about our prospects. I could see Gomez or Sands rising to the challenge, but am not betting on it. I can see Shaw improving to a point where he may be ready by 2014 or 15. I can also see Cecchini or Middlebrooks moved to 1B. I could see Bogaerts moved there if we find a SS or he doesn't appear to be a good enough fielding SS for the bigs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

de la Rosa is rated #5 behind Webster on soxprospects.

Bogaerts, Barnes, Bradley, Webster, & de la Rosa

then

Brentz, Cecchini, Swiharts, Owens, & Iglesias

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

But according to softhead all we got back from the Dodgers were "farm Scraps" and Ben C needs to be fired.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Further evidence that he is indeed a clown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Assuming Tazawa and Mortensen make the big club next season, the Pawtucket Red Sox could have a mighty fine starting rotation:

1) Webster

2) de la Rosa

3) Steven Wright

4) Barnes (from Portland mid-season)

5-6) Ranaudo or Workman (from Portland)

7-8) Britton & C. Hernandez

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I would have thought De la rosa would be rated above Webster but oh well!

Shaw is a little old but his numbers have been solid. It is amazing how often former mlb level players have kids who end up making it. Hey, it's possible. I've heard he can possibly play some 3rd also, where I think he would have a better shot at making it. He's likely to be traded at some point IMO.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Shaw is a little old but his numbers have been solid. It is amazing how often former mlb level players have kids who end up making it. Hey, it's possible. I've heard he can possibly play some 3rd also, where I think he would have a better shot at making it. He's likely to be traded at some point IMO.

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but with our great need at 1B, they may give him a longer look.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps, but with our great need at 1B, they may give him a longer look.

[/QUOTE]

Sands can play 1st also if I remember correctly but If Shaw is a lot more valuable as a 3rd base prospect, and we are loaded at 3rd base, I think Shaw is likely to be gone within the next year or 2.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I admit I do not know much about this 25 year old 1Bman with 58 HRs in his first 1300 PAs.

I used to not worry about attitude that much, but I'm beginning to think I underestimated that value recently. I think we could probably give what the Mets need to get him, but I'm thinking maybe someone else might be a better fit. My guess is we may go for a 1 year bridge until we know more about our prospects. I could see Gomez or Sands rising to the challenge, but am not betting on it. I can see Shaw improving to a point where he may be ready by 2014 or 15. I can also see Cecchini or Middlebrooks moved to 1B. I could see Bogaerts moved there if we find a SS or he doesn't appear to be a good enough fielding SS for the bigs.

[/QUOTE]

I think Cecchini would make a good 1b. He looks like hes grown a lot since drafting him. Not a ton of power, but some surprising speed. Good avg and OBP from the left side...Shaw looks to have made himself known this year. Have to see if he can put up those numbers in a full year with Portland and Cecchini can make the move to Salem and do the same...

Who would you target for a 1-2yr deal for 1b Moon?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Shaw was drafted in 2011, so he did 3yrs at kent state. Dad was a MLB reliever. At 22yrs old hes still young enough. If his skills are for real (Which I think they are) he should be in Pawtucket by years end and look to be on the MLB team at age 24. which is about the average age. All depends how he handles a full year at AA this year.

All this 1b talk depends on what happens between now and 2014 at the 3b, 1b and SS positions...With guys like Shaw, Cecchini and Bogaerts soon to be knocking on the door (1-2yrs), all 3 positions and players involved (Cecchini, Bogaerts, Shaw, WMB and Iggy) will have to be evaluated.

Sections
Shortcuts