Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

Who would you target for a 1-2yr deal for 1b Moon?

Since I don't see us seriously contending in 2013, I'm not sure that I care that much who plays 1B. I might just give Gomez & Sands a shot, play Papi at 1B at NL parks, and maybe Salty a few games to give him a break from catching and to give Lava more catching time.

I'm Ok with a 1 year bridge player, but not through trading anything too valuable. However, I'm Ok with trading for a 1Bman with high upside and several years of team control.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Cecchini would make a good 1b. He looks like hes grown a lot since drafting him. Not a ton of power, but some surprising speed. Good avg and OBP from the left side...Shaw looks to have made himself known this year. Have to see if he can put up those numbers in a full year with Portland and Cecchini can make the move to Salem and do the same...

I'm not sure who the better fielding 3Bman is, Middlebrooks of Cecchini, but one may end up at 1B. We could also see Bogaerts end up there as well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

thanks to forums like this, sox minor leaguers are some of the most overhyped, underproducing ball platers in mlb.....

the red sox - home of the 28 yr old rookies who bat .265 and barely rakes..

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

In response to FenwayJimmy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Cecchini would make a good 1b. He looks like hes grown a lot since drafting him. Not a ton of power, but some surprising speed. Good avg and OBP from the left side...Shaw looks to have made himself known this year. Have to see if he can put up those numbers in a full year with Portland and Cecchini can make the move to Salem and do the same...

I'm not sure who the better fielding 3Bman is, Middlebrooks of Cecchini, but one may end up at 1B. We could also see Bogaerts end up there as well.

Nice to have that problem.

[/QUOTE]

Ergo Shaw gets traded. He has few slots open with us. He's slotted at #27 on the soxprospects list which doesn't really bode well for him after his best year in the minors does it? His bat probably doesn't play well in the majors for a 1st baseman and he is too slow and unathletic for 3rd. He's the kind of secondary prospect who has some value to a 2nd division team. 

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/shaw-travis.htm

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

We should have a top 5 farm now if LA Rosa and Sands are in the mix, which they probably will not be in the national projections. We are extremely well positioned now with a great group of young, high upside prospects and the #7 pick as well. I'd consider using the extra cash the #7 pick allots and using it for overslot signings through the first 10 rounds. Don't be surprised if the Sox take that approach unless they have access to a top pitching prospect they really like. 

Look at the number of guys we have who are real solid prospects. Our top 10 are outstanding. Compared to a lot of teams who often have really 2-3 guys who have a realistic shot of making it as significant mlb players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Some pretty good assessments of our guys down in A ball:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/09/the-book-assessing-a-ball-crop.html

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some pretty good assessments of our guys down in A ball:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/09/the-book-assessing-a-ball-crop.html

[/QUOTE]

Stockpiling draft picks over recent years has really helped us build up our A-ball prospects. I know many here never pay any attention to A-ball or even AA ball, but most great players came from there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

I have always enjoyed following the progress of our prospects through the system.  With the failure of the Sox this year , we have probably gone a little overboard with our high hopes for the kids.  That is certainly understandable.  We need to keep in mind that other teams have prospects that are at least as good as ours.  We need to keep stocking the system with good young prospects , especially hard throwing pitchers , but we should not let our mistakes in the free agent market keep us from going after the top free agents.  We cannot pin all our hopes on the youngsters in our farm system.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have always enjoyed following the progress of our prospects through the system.  With the failure of the Sox this year , we have probably gone a little overboard with our high hopes for the kids.  That is certainly understandable.  We need to keep in mind that other teams have prospects that are at least as good as ours.  We need to keep stocking the system with good young prospects , especially hard throwing pitchers , but we should not let our mistakes in the free agent market keep us from going after the top free agents. tory have we had so many We cannot pin all our hopes on the youngsters in our farm system.

[/QUOTE]

While some here are certainly overestimating our prospects, there are several reasons why we should view our system differently than those of the past:

1) At no time in Red Sox history have we had so many early draft choices. This year, we had 3 in the top 37 overall picks and 5 in the top 118. In 2011, we had 4 in the top 40 and 6 in the top 111. In 2010, we had 3 of the top 39 picks and 5 of the top 110. There really is no comparison to any previous Sox draft period. Not even close.

2) In the past, we very rarely traded vets or others for prospects. That changed this year. We picked up Webster, de la Rosa, Sands, DeJesus, Beato, Stewart, Valencia, S. Wright, de la Torre, Kurcz, Carpenter and maybe othersd I can't recall right now.

3) We were active signing international Free agents before the rules changed for the worse. We signed Tzu-Wei Lin, Jose Almonte, Javier Guerra, Luis Ramos, & Javier Rodriguez. We also signed minor league FAs Mauro Gomez and Pedro Ciriaco earlier this year.

There is objective evidence here to show that this farm system is deeper and stronger than ever before. I do not think I am being a "homer" in saying this. If you add to the prospect list the players that recently graduated from prospect status (Middlebrooks, Lavarnway, & Tazawa), we can say that we are one of the league leaders in good prospects and recent post-prospects combined. Maybe most of these guys will turn out to be duds, but I think we will see our farm system rated by objective services pretty highly this winter and next spring.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My guess is we will be rated a top 5 farm systaem by most services.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Stolen from Hill's thread:

The Red Sox placed three -- Matt Barnes at No. 18, Allen Webster at No. 40 and Henry Owens at No. 49 on John Sickels' preliminary list of Top 50 pitching prospects:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474586/preliminary-top-50-pitching-prospects-list-for-2013

... and another two -- Xander Bogaerts at No. 4 and Jackie Bradley at No. 24 -- on Sickels' corresponding list of hitting prospects:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2012/10/8/3474442/preliminary-top-50-hitting-prospects-for-2013

This shows a huge improvement over last year's ratings- just as I expected and predicted... 

4) Bogaerts

18) Barnes

24) Bradley

40) Webster

49) Owens

We also have guys like Cecchini, de la Rosa, Brentz, and others that are poised to make this list with just slight improvement next year. We also had a deep draft this year and have several young newbies that could shine next year and move uo quickly.

Post prospects like Middlebrooks, Lava, and Tazawa also add to our look of getting stronger in the area of quality youth.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Add to these nice prospects, we also have some young players (some with several years of team control)  that are not considered prospects:

23:

Middlebrooks

24:

Lava, Doubront, Kalish

25:

Stewart, Beato

26:

Morales, Tazawa, Ciriaco

27:

Buch, Salty, Sweeney, Bard, Mortensen, Melancon, A Miller, Gomez, Valencia

28:

Ellsbury, Lester, Bailey

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you look position by position at all of our prosects, I think we see that we have a good chance that at least one prospect will do well in the majors at almost every position.

"The core"   Prospects/Post Prospects      Down the Road

SP:Lester (28) Doubront (24) Barnes (22) Britton (23) Owens (20) Buttrey (19)

Buch (27) Webster (22) Workman (24) B Johnson (21) Light (21) Montas(19)

Morales (26) de la Rosa (23) Ranaudo(23) Ramirez (22) Callahan (18)

Lackey (33) Wright (28) Stewart (25) Pimental (22) Mercedes

RP: Bailey (28) Tazawa (26)

Aceves (29) Miller (27)

Breslow (31) Mortensen (27) Wilson (24)

Atchison (36) Melancon (27) Carpenter (26) Fields (24)

Hill (32) Bard (27) Beato (25)

C: Salty (27) Lava (24) Butler (27) Vazquez (22) Swihart (21)

1B: M. Gomez (27) Sands (25) T Shaw (22)

2B: Pedey (28) DeJesus (25) Coyle (20)

3B: Middlebrooks (23) Valencia (27) Vitek (23) Cecchini (21)

SS: Aviles (31) Ciri.(26) Iggy (22) Bog's (20) Marrero (22) Vinicio (21) Lin (18)

LF: Nava (29) Linares (28) Hazelbaker (25) Jacobs (21) Margot (18)

CF: Ellsbury (28) Lin (24) Bradley (22) de la Cruz (20)

RF: Sweeney (27) Kalish (24) Brentz (23) Hassan (24)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]This shows a huge improvement over last year's ratings- just as I expected and predicted... 

4) Bogaerts

18) Barnes

24) Bradley

40) Webster

49) Owens[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't recall prospect rankings last year that separated out the hitters and pitchers. John Sickels' preliminary list has Xander Bogaerts as the fourth-ranked hitter and Henry Owens as the 49th-ranked pitcher. Those are not overall rankings (but are encouraging nonetheless).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think we will rank top 5 too Moon. Not being a homer, but we have a much better system  then weve had in a while. We have some legit top pitching prospects again.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think we will rank top 5 too Moon. Not being a homer, but we have a much better system  then weve had in a while. We have some legit top pitching prospects again.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, and think that we also have a lot of players not in the top 100 that are decent prospects or far-away prospects, and some will rise quickly in 2013.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]This shows a huge improvement over last year's ratings- just as I expected and predicted... 

4) Bogaerts

18) Barnes

24) Bradley

40) Webster

49) Owens[/QUOTE]

To be fair, I don't recall prospect rankings last year that separated out the hitters and pitchers. John Sickels' preliminary list has Xander Bogaerts as the fourth-ranked hitter and Henry Owens as the 49th-ranked pitcher. Those are notoverall rankings (but are encouraging nonetheless).

I expect these 5 players and maybe a couple more to be in most top 100 overall lists. Some will be rated pretty high as well. That will be a huge improvement over last year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I remember the inner consensus here and in the sox organization amongst those who follow the prospects was a lot of our farm talent was young and in the lower ranks.  We expected our farm system to get stronger as a lot of these kids got older and another season under their belt.

Not only did that happen but we added 2 more strong young arms via trades this season as well.

What really excites me is not only these guys that are a half a year to 1.5 years away from being impact players, but there is yet another very young crop of talent right behind them that may keep our system strong even when a lot of these guys graduate from prospect status. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I remember the inner consensus here and in the sox organization amongst those who follow the prospects was a lot of our farm talent was young and in the lower ranks.  We expected our farm system to get stronger as a lot of these kids got older and another season under their belt.

Not only did that happen but we added 2 more strong young arms via trades this season as well.

What really excites me is not only these guys that are a half a year to 1.5 years away from being impact players, but there is yet another very young crop of talent right behind them that may keep our system strong even when a lot of these guys graduate from prospect status. 

Excellent post.

We also added lesser young talent via the trades of Youk (Stewart & de la Torres-via Lillibridge) and Shoppach (Beato).

We also added Carpenter and Kurcz for Theo.

We also added some International FAs, such as Tzu-Wei Lin, Almonte, Guerra, Ramos & Rodriguez.

Even a pessimist has to see that we have had a ton of extra draft picks in recent years (Net gain of 7 in 3 years), and the odds are some will keep improving enough to be impact players.

2012: 5 of the top 118 picks, including 3 of the top 37 (Marrero, Johnson, & Light).

2011: 6 of the top 111 picks, including 4 of the top 40 (Barnes, Swihart, Owens, & Bradley).

2010: 5 of the top 110 picks, including 4 of the top 57 (Vitek, Brentz, Ranaudo, & Workman).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd still like to see us strengthen our farm a little more by trading away virtually all of our 2014 Free agents to be this winter.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

I'd still like to see us strengthen our farm a little more by trading away virtually all of our 2014 Free agents to be this winter.

[/QUOTE]

I've been contemplating the same idea.  I know it wouldn't be very popular at all, but it could effectively give us a farm system as strong as anyone in the majors with the most payroll flexibility as well.  What G.M. would not want to be in that kinda scenario???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I've been contemplating the same idea.  I know it wouldn't be very popular at all, but it could effectively give us a farm system as strong as anyone in the majors with the most payroll flexibility as well.  What G.M. would not want to be in that kinda scenario???

[/QUOTE]

Other than trading Ellsbury, it's not as drastic as it sounds:

Free Agents after 2013:

Ellsbury, Salty, Breslow, Sweeney, & Hill.

I'd also look to deal most of the FAs-to-be-after 2014:

Bailey (keep?), Aceves, Aviles, Miller, & Morales (keeper).

We could stockpile some very good prospects, some decent ones, and some longshots by trading almost all of these guys. Then, when the right player comes along, we'd be best situated to make the best offer for that key stud starter or hitter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Ok I was throwing Dustin Pedrioa onto that list as well, then I realized he isn't a free agent until 2015.  Soxprospects.com is doing a bit where every weekday they release an end of year report on top prospects counting back from 40.  Today they had a bit on Jamie Callahan, and Frank Montas, and before that they talked about Cody Kukuk.   If the Barnes and Webster's of the organization can hold their status we could look really dangerous with our young pitching with some of these young kids.  Not mention if Anthony Ranaudo has a strong season coming back (which I'm hoping for)  

I wanted to provide a link for the Soxprospects.com pieces but there seems to be some issue with their page at the moment (or possibly my browser).  

I've  always been more on the side of holding onto prospects and building an organization from the ground up.  But if there is an abundance of talent in the orginization next year then it becomes much more feasible. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ok I was throwing Dustin Pedrioa onto that list as well, then I realized he isn't a free agent until 2015.  Soxprospects.com is doing a bit where every weekday they release an end of year report on top prospects counting back from 40.  Today they had a bit on Jamie Callahan, and Frank Montas, and before that they talked about Cody Kukuk.   If the Barnes and Webster's of the organization can hold their status we could look really dangerous with our young pitching with some of these young kids.  Not mention if Anthony Ranaudo has a strong season coming back (which I'm hoping for)  

I wanted to provide a link for the Soxprospects.com pieces but there seems to be some issue with their page at the moment (or possibly my browser).  

I've  always been more on the side of holding onto prospects and building an organization from the ground up.  But if there is an abundance of talent in the orginization next year then it becomes much more feasible. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, in theory, but if that one guy comes along, we need to pounce.