Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox Prospects New Top Prospects List

I kinda like Breslow. Hes a LHP that can get both RHH and LHH out, which is important to have in the BP. Although if we can get something better back, im all for it. But I would lean towards keeping him for experience and only costing about 2mm.

A couple years back all the talk was about all the talent we had in the lower levels. Now a couple years later, Bogaerts, Brentz, Bradley etc. and adding guys like Rubby D, Webster, and sands, have made for a pretty balanced farm system at all levels.

Picking up a bunch of college arms and then some HS kids really stocked up our pitching prospects last year.

The only weakness I see is at 1b. Although with the possibility of Bogaerts, Cecchini or even if Sands, if can prove some scouts wrong, changing positions could change that.

Bottom line, as I look at our Farm system, is we should start to see a steady flow of some good prospects for a few years making their way to Fenway.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]I kinda like Breslow. Hes a LHP that can get both RHH and LHH out, which is important to have in the BP. Although if we can get something better back, im all for it. But I would lean towards keeping him for experience and only costing about 2mm.

A couple years back all the talk was about all the talent we had in the lower levels. Now a couple years later, Bogaerts, Brentz, Bradley etc. and adding guys like Rubby D, Webster, and sands, have made for a pretty balanced farm system at all levels.

Picking up a bunch of college arms and then some HS kids really stocked up our pitching prospects last year.

The only weakness I see is at 1b. Although with the possibility of Bogaerts, Cecchini or even if Sands, if can prove some scouts wrong, changing positions could change that.

Bottom line, as I look at our Farm system, is we should start to see a steady flow of some good prospects for a few years making their way to Fenway.[/QUOTE]

I keep hoping for a return to the good old days when the Sox were bringing up guys with names like Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Cooper and Evans. While I won't compare the current crop to those guys, we're a lot closer to that territory than we were even a year ago.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I agree, in theory, but if that one guy comes along, we need to pounce.

We might already have that guy. Let's just say I'll be watching with great interest during ST to see what Bogaerts and DeLaRosa are showing.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd still like to see us strengthen our farm a little more by trading away virtually all of our 2014 Free agents to be this winter.

[/QUOTE]

I've been contemplating the same idea.  I know it wouldn't be very popular at all, but it could effectively give us a farm system as strong as anyone in the majors with the most payroll flexibility as well.  What G.M. would not want to be in that kinda scenario???

[/QUOTE]

Other than trading Ellsbury, it's not as drastic as it sounds:

Free Agents after 2013:

Ellsbury, Salty, Breslow, Sweeney, & Hill.

I'd also look to deal most of the FAs-to-be-after 2014:

Bailey (keep?), Aceves, Aviles, Miller, & Morales (keeper).

We could stockpile some very good prospects, some decent ones, and some longshots by trading almost all of these guys. Then, when the right player comes along, we'd be best situated to make the best offer for that key stud starter or hitter.

[/QUOTE]

.If you want to trade your 2014 FA then Lester is the guy that would bring the biggest haul. I mentioned before about moving him, and add a couple of more studs to our farm system, but was shot down. It makes so much sense for more than onereason. First.....Lester will more than likely NOT be here after 2014, and maybe 2013 if he pitches like this yr again, 2nd....it is not a sure bet that he reverts back to 2010 form like so many people suggest. Some team out there would give up a couple of nice prospects for Jon hoping, like most RS fans that he can get back to that 1 or 2 that he was before. I,m guessing he goes 25 - 20 the Nxt 2 yrs then walks and we get nothing. We could trade Lester and replace him easily with a any one of a number of free agents out there, AND NOT forfeit a draft pick. Look at it this way...if we get 2 good prospects, PLUS, get to keep our top ten pick ( that,s 3 more stud prospects added to the top 5 farm system that we have already) and replace Lester by signing Peavy for 2 yrs 35m and they both put up close to the same numbers over those 2 yrs  Why wouldn't, you do that? To me, that,s just good business. It,s a no brainier to me

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'd still like to see us strengthen our farm a little more by trading away virtually all of our 2014 Free agents to be this winter.

[/QUOTE]

I've been contemplating the same idea.  I know it wouldn't be very popular at all, but it could effectively give us a farm system as strong as anyone in the majors with the most payroll flexibility as well.  What G.M. would not want to be in that kinda scenario???

[/QUOTE]

Other than trading Ellsbury, it's not as drastic as it sounds:

Free Agents after 2013:

Ellsbury, Salty, Breslow, Sweeney, & Hill.

I'd also look to deal most of the FAs-to-be-after 2014:

Bailey (keep?), Aceves, Aviles, Miller, & Morales (keeper).

We could stockpile some very good prospects, some decent ones, and some longshots by trading almost all of these guys. Then, when the right player comes along, we'd be best situated to make the best offer for that key stud starter or hitter.

[/QUOTE]

.If you want to trade your 2014 FA then Lester is the guy that would bring the biggest haul. I mentioned before about moving him, and add a couple of more studs to our farm system, but was shot down. It makes so much sense for more than onereason. First.....Lester will more than likely NOT be here after 2014, and maybe 2013 if he pitches like this yr again, 2nd....it is not a sure bet that he reverts back to 2010 form like so many people suggest. Some team out there would give up a couple of nice prospects for Jon hoping, like most RS fans that he can get back to that 1 or 2 that he was before. I,m guessing he goes 25 - 20 the Nxt 2 yrs then walks and we get nothing. We could trade Lester and replace him easily with a any one of a number of free agents out there, AND NOT forfeit a draft pick. Look at it this way...if we get 2 good prospects, PLUS, get to keep our top ten pick ( that,s 3 more stud prospects added to the top 5 farm system that we have already) and replace Lester by signing Peavy for 2 yrs 35m and they both put up close to the same numbers over those 2 yrs  Why wouldn't, you do that? To me, that,s just good business. It,s a no brainier to me

I neglected to mention Lester by mistake, but for the fact that I think he's still a decent number 3 starter with the chance to return back to solid #2 status (or fall to #4 for that matter), I would not deal him unless we get very nice return. I'd much rather have Peavy and Lester than just Peavy and a couple prospects. I think we can build a team to win in 2014, so I'd only trade those FAs-to-be after 2014 who are not intregal parts of our team. 

I get your point about getting a couple prospects for Lester, and since we have plenty of cap room, could sign the likes of Peavy or maybe 2 of A. Sanchez, Jackson, or McCarthy to offset the loss of Lester, but we need to strengthen, not stay even with our starting rotation.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I get your point about getting a couple prospects for Lester, and since we have plenty of cap room, could sign the likes of Peavy or maybe 2 of A. Sanchez, Jackson, or McCarthy to offset the loss of Lester, but we need to strengthen, not stay even with our starting rotation.

+1

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1

I get how someone might think Lester is not worth the money owed to him in 2013 (~$11M) or the option for 2014 ($13M), but getting rid of Lester hurts our staff. I still have faith in him rebounding, but realize, I might be terribly wrong, and his trade window may be closing fast.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Lester could also come back strong in 2013 and bring in a bigger load via the trade deadline. 

That might be a more optimal approach (to those wishing to trade him)

If we can compete, keep him.  If that looks unlikely, then he could be worth a lot for a team looking to strengthen their rotation. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Another team who is one pitcher away from possibly going to/winning the WS would give up top prospects for 1.5 years of Lester at the dealine...Its much better to wait until then and see where the Sox are in terms of standings and having a shot themselves at the playoffs themselves...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Another team who is one pitcher away from possibly going to/winning the WS would give up top prospects for 1.5 years of Lester at the dealine...Its much better to wait until then and see where the Sox are in terms of standings and having a shot themselves at the playoffs themselves...

[/QUOTE]

Since I don't see us being in the ring hunt for 2013, I'd assume lester's value is more now (2 years of service) than at the deadline (1.3 years), but who knows. A lot would depend on how well or poorly Jon is doing at the deadline.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Since I don't see us being in the ring hunt for 2013, I'd assume lester's value is more now (2 years of service) than at the deadline (1.3 years), but who knows. A lot would depend on how well or poorly Jon is doing at the deadline.

[/QUOTE]

It could be,  However if you believe that Lester will have a much better season in 2013 then one would think that he would hold more value in July.

Of course this is a double edge sword, he could have worse numbers and drive his price down lower. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It could be,  However if you believe that Lester will have a much better season in 2013 then one would think that he would hold more value in July.

Of course this is a double edge sword, he could have worse numbers and drive his price down lower. 

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.....take the bird in the hand. Even with his down yr this yr there are more than a few teams that would give a Webster/de la rosa type package for Jon RIGHT NOW. He could just as easily have a dl stint ( which he is long over due one ) and be 4-5, with a 4.65 era at the break. I really don,t understand why nobody see,s what I ve been seeing with him for 2 yrs now, the simple fact that he just can,t blow it by people anymore. He needs to learn how to PITCH now, which is an adjustment and takes time. Unfortunately for us, it prob will not be untill 2015 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bingo.....take the bird in the hand. Even with his down yr this yr there are more than a few teams that would give a Webster/de la rosa type package for Jon RIGHT NOW. He could just as easily have a dl stint ( which he is long over due one ) and be 4-5, with a 4.65 era at the break. I really don,t understand why nobody see,s what I ve been seeing with him for 2 yrs now, the simple fact that he just can,t blow it by people anymore. He needs to learn how to PITCH now, which is an adjustment and takes time. Unfortunately for us, it prob will not be untill 2015 

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you may be right, and the velocity charts do show a steady 2 year decline in speed. However, I am sure all GMs see these charts as well.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=4930&position=P&pitch=FA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Carpenter and Buttrey

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-chris-carpenter.html

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

Carpenter and Buttrey

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-chris-carpenter.html

[/QUOTE]

Carpenter and Kurcz were decent pickups for Theo...Buttrey has the makeup. Have to give him 2 years and revisit his development. I wonder what the Sox saw to give him 1.3M...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Carpenter and Buttrey

[/QUOTE]

Carpenter and Kurcz were decent pickups for Theo...Buttrey has the makeup. Have to give him 2 years and revisit his development. I wonder what the Sox saw to give him 1.3M...

[/QUOTE]

I guess he would have gone much higher in the draft had teams not been scared by the contract demands.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Carpenter and Buttrey

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I guess he would have gone much higher in the draft had teams not been scared by the contract demands.

[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but Ive not seen any video or much on him. Just wondering what seperates a 19yr old from the rest.

Hes a big kid at 6'5 205lbs with a mid 90's FB and a couple other decent, but not plus pitches... yet. But at 19 I imagine he should grow a little more and gain more velocity on his FB. Maybe that and his commitment he had to Arkansas already that raised his signing bonus to 1.3mm...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Carpenter and Buttrey

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand that, but Ive not seen any video or much on him. Just wondering what seperates a 19yr old from the rest.

Hes a big kid at 6'5 205lbs with a mid 90's FB and a couple other decent, but not plus pitches... yet. But at 19 I imagine he should grow a little more and gain more velocity on his FB. Maybe that and his commitment he had to Arkansas already that raised his signing bonus to 1.3mm...

[/QUOTE]

I'm not a scout, and scouts are often wrong, but they seem to really like this kid.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Pat Light & Stolmy Pimental

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-pat-light.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Jose Vinicio & Brandon Jacobs:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2012/10/top-40-season-in-review-jose-vinicio.html

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Jose Vinicio and Brandon Jacobs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pimentel is kind of interesting. He was awful in 2011, but pretty decent last year. Prior to that he had been considered one of our top prospects. I think he needs to go on the 40 man at the end of next year or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft, so 2013 will be a very big year for Stolmy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pimentel is kind of interesting. He was awful in 2011, but pretty decent last year. Prior to that he had been considered one of our top prospects. I think he needs to go on the 40 man at the end of next year or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft, so 2013 will be a very big year for Stolmy.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Pimentel and Britton were on it this year. Britton was recently taken of for Rosario, but SP is still on it. They view Pimentel, barring some big change, as a bullpen guy now. I believe they actually started using him out of the bp this year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We are dropping quite a few players from the 40 man roster:

Dice-K

Ross

Padilla

Cook

Pods

Loney

Then there is Papi.

We may end up trading some of these guys too- opening up some more 40-man roster slots:

Ellsbury, Aceves, Sweeney, Salty Atchison, Hill, Breslow, Melancon, Bard or others

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There is a list of prospects 1-40 that will be put on this list before december and the rule-5 draft.

Allen Webster

Rubby D (I think)

Alex Wilson

Most of the top 40 prospects wont be rule-5 eligible until next year. Thats when we will start having some issues as to who we protect, who we trade and who we leave unprotected.

Sections
Shortcuts