Sox pushing for Quentin and Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox pushing for Quentin and Thornton

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/07/red-sox-pushing-hard-for-quentin-thornton.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Re: Sox pushing for Quentin and Thornton

i would take quentin, but not really interested in thorton. He makes 13 mill next year lol. Now if the white sox agreeded to pay the majority of that, then i would be interested. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

I rather have thornton imo

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from northtroyboy. Show northtroyboy's posts

Thornton makes $5.5 million next year and $5.5 million in 2013 with a $1 million buyout in 2014.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

I'm interested.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

Talk to me...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

How about Danks too

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

All day long! Quentin is a valuable RF and Thorton has been a good reliever.
    Doesn't answer the starting pitching, but I like it better than Harden and Willingham. Willinghan is hitting .239 vs. lefties. Pass......

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hortonhearzacup. Show hortonhearzacup's posts

Big fan of Quentin power right hand bat perfect for fenway 36 homers 3 years ago. Thornton power reliever, that works well in the cold weather in OCT. and November.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

This deal makes sense in conjunction with the rumored general agreement with Seattle. If the Red Sox add Quentin and Thornton, they can trade Reddick for Bedard.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

or platoon Reddick & Quentin and w/ Thorton in the pen perhaps move Aceves into the rotation.........

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbrod. Show tbrod's posts

Reddick is hitting .222 in his last 27 ABs.
    Time to sell high, before he reverts to form, and has less value.
    Brandon Moss redux.
    Platoon with Quentin?????? Are you serious? Quentin is not a guy who you'd platoon with a one month wonder.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I agree selling high is the better option

But we aren't talking about the ability to do whatever we want; we need contingences....

Let's see if we deal Reddick and if Drew is toast then we have DMac and one of Sutton or Navarro to back up in the OF?  Yeah that could be viable.

I wish we knew what was going on w/ Buck......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

hold on to Reddick. deal Crawford.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I like Quentin, and from what I have heard, his price is not as high as others (though Pence went pretty cheap).

There are a few issues that concerns me a little: 

1) Even though he is a RH'd batter, he hits RHPs better than lefties. We really could use an OF'er that hits lefties very well.

Quentin career:
    vs. RHPs: .854
    vs. RHPs: .795 

It's not a bad split differential, but with an OF stacked with lefties, many of whom stink vs LHPs, I was kind of counting on a lefty-killer.

2) His home/away splits:
    Home: .903
    Away:  .775
    (Sidenote: he is .940 at Fenway in just 53 PAs career)

3) Numbers vs our div and playoff rivals:
    NYY: .700
    TB: .798
    Tor: .615
    Bal: .883
    Tex: .697

4) He's not a good fielder:
    Career UZR/150:
    RF: -6.2
    LF: -12.8

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

In Response to Re: Sox pushing for Quentin and Thornton:
    [QUOTE]I like Quentin, and from what I have heard, his price is not as high as others (though Pence went pretty cheap). There are a few issues that concerns me a little:  1) Even though he is a RH'd batter, he hits RHPs better than lefties. We really could use an OF'er that hits lefties very well. Quentin career: vs. RHPs: .854 vs. RHPs: .795  It's not a bad split differential, but with an OF stacked with lefties, many of whom stink vs LHPs, I was kind of counting on a lefty-killer. 2) His home/away splits: Home: .903 Away:  .775 (Sidenote: he is .940 at Fenway in just 53 PAs career) 3) Numbers vs our div and playoff rivals: NYY: .700 TB: .798 Tor: .615 Bal: .883 Tex: .697 4) He's not a good fielder: Career UZR/150: RF: -6.2 LF: -12.8
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Yes, your desire for a left-handed pitching masher is well-frounded. If you had your way, Ortiz wouldn't be playing against lefties this season and his overall numbers would significantly suffer. Genius, Moonslow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I want Boston to pursue pitching.  Kuroda of the Dodgers would be a fine addition.  Or are the Cubs willing to deal Garza? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bettersoftthanlaw. Show bettersoftthanlaw's posts

Also, way to be deceptive with his fielding stats. Quentin has put up positive RF numbers in three seasons, with only one season of negative performance, and he is positive this year. Much different from Bellsbury and his one passable season, this year. Quentin is no Kemp, though.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE DODGERS WOULD HAVE TO BE IN PRETTY
    DESPERATE STRAITS TO GIVE UP KEMP OR
    ETHIER . I MEAN, IT WOULD BE GREAT TO GET
    KEMP..BUT IS HE A BOSTON TYPE OF GUY....
    FENWAY PARK IS A LOT DIFFERENT HOME BASE
    THAN LA-LA LAND WITH MOVIE STAR FANS AND
    LAID BACK PLAYING CONDITIONS. WE WOULD
    HAVE TO GIVE UP A LOT....PROBABLY REDDICK,
    AND THE ENTIRE PAWTUCKET AND PORTLAND
    LINEUPS. SERIOUSLY,...THE PRICE WOULD
    BE PROHIBITIVELY HIGH.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox pushing for Quentin and Thornton : Yes, your desire for a left-handed pitching masher is well-frounded. If you had your way, Ortiz wouldn't be playing against lefties this season and his overall numbers would significantly suffer. Genius, Moonslow.
    Posted by bettersoftthanlaw[/QUOTE]

Wrong. As is your alter ego.

I said Papi should not start vs most LHPs (not all) only if we have better alternatives. For most of this year, we have not.

If you had your way...

1) Crawford would have been our leadoff hitter.
    2) Jake would be our 9th hitter if not traded for dirt.
    3) Miller would have been our May 1st starter instead of the 9-5 Wake.
    4) Wheeler would be our #3 RP.
    5) VTek would be cut and we'd be just above .500 (our record with Salty)
    6) We'd have BHall filling in for the injured CC, Drew, Scutty and others.
    7) We'd have Theo fired, Tito fired, and Wally starting tonight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Career numbers don't cut it for an everyday player.
    -silly clown

Quentin's career 162 season line:

.253  32 HRs  100 RBIs (.839 OPS)

Nice dumpster!

Kemp's 162 career line:

.289  26 HRs  91 RBIs (.832 OPS)

And silly clown wants to deal Ellsbury and more for him, while Quentin would just cost prospects.  

I'd choose Ellsbury and Quentin/Reddick

over

Kemp and Reddick/DMac

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]Career numbers don't cut it for an everyday player. -silly clown Quentin's career 162 season line: .253  32 HRs  100 RBIs (.839 OPS) Nice dumpster! Kemp's 162 career line: .289  26 HRs  91 RBIs (.832 OPS) And silly clown wants to deal Ellsbury and more for him, while Quentin would just cost prospects.   I'd choose Ellsbury and Quentin/Reddick over Kemp and Reddick/DMac
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

moon, I agree with not trading Ells for Kemp but again we do need a RH bat that can hit LHP and Quentin has a career 222 mark against them.  Quentin would be a less expensive alternative but Reddick may still be the best answer.

By getting Quentin we are abandoning our original idea just to get a better slugger and will probably still need someone to handle lefties better.  Reddick would probably be part of the trade, if he isn't it may work.

Drew? Doubtful

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.