1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Re: Sox

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Giancarlo Stanton, LoMo, and Nolasco for Brentz, JBJ, Barnes, Owens, Sands, Aceves and Ciriaco.

If that doesn't work for the Marlins--make the same offer to the Twins for Mauer, Morneau and a SS prospect.

I rate the cost of Stanton-Morrison-Nolasco at about 20 times that of Mauer-Morneau-Santana[best SS prospect]. Your offer was not quite what I think it would take to get Stanton alone. But was not only too much for Mauer-Morneau, I am not sure I offer ANYTHING for them. They BOTH might be net negatives. And so its a negative plus a negative equals more negative.

With that being said, your idea to trade for these players is fairly good. Although I think Mauer-Morneau would be too many lefty hitting first basemen.

But pretending we wanted every single player you listed, I would make these two offers.....

Mauer-Morneau-Santana for Salty. And btw, I think Salty has very little value, but we need to dump our lefty catcher if we add Mauer. For me, thats a fair deal. Would I do it? Maybe. Although I think I prefer to sign Napoli.

Stanton-Morrison-Nolasco for BOGAERTS, Brentz, JBJ, Barnes, Owens, Sands, Aceves and Ciriaco. For me, thats a fair deal. Would I do it? Nope, because I am too high on Bogaerts and JBJ. I am not for trading away our top prospects. I am more focused on 2017-2020, then I am 2014. Even though we get two young players, we are getting them for just 4 years each. We are losing 7 each from our prospects. But it would be a tough decision. Remove JBJ and replace him with Workman and remove Nolasco and just sign Haren for free and I probably reconsider my reluctance of trading a bunch of prospects. It would definately make me think. Your general ideas were excellent. Just not the cost evaluations.

Make no mistake though, Stanton is going to cost a ton.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

In response to jgallag1's comment:

They're not looking to buy the best players, they're looking to go get the right pieces. Napoli is a Big right handed bat who can fill the 1B slot. It's a position of need, and the perfect piece to fill into the Sox current lineup. They've had hitting, but since Manny, they haven't had a right handed power threat. Putting Napoli in the 4 spot should help Papi to be even more productive. It will also keep the other right handed bats like Pedroia and Middlebrooks from swinging for the fences like Youk started to.

You forgot about Bay, who hit 39 HRs for the Sox and drove in 119. I guess that wasn't good enough though.

So you're suggesting that we sign Bay?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

To those who have been hoodwinked by this RS organization.  I think they call that "die hard..." or maybe it's "fools gold..."

Guess we won't be meeting at the Fens next year.  Take care.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

They're not looking to buy the best players, they're looking to go get the right pieces. Napoli is a Big right handed bat who can fill the 1B slot. It's a position of need, and the perfect piece to fill into the Sox current lineup. They've had hitting, but since Manny, they haven't had a right handed power threat. Putting Napoli in the 4 spot should help Papi to be even more productive. It will also keep the other right handed bats like Pedroia and Middlebrooks from swinging for the fences like Youk started to.

You forgot about Bay, who hit 39 HRs for the Sox and drove in 119. I guess that wasn't good enough though.

So you're suggesting that we sign Bay?

I think he was just saying he forgot to mention Bay when he said we hadn't had a good RH'd power bat since Manny.

I hope nobody here wants Bay, but there seems to be a nostalgia bug going around here at times: witness the Masterson banter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

In response to traven's comment:

That's exactly why you have to reserve judgement until April and quit complaining because they haven't won the 2013 WS yet.  Plenty of time to pass judgement come April.

You are correct sir, and I shall indeed do that as should all people capable of thought. However, it's certainly not prohibited to discuss these matters in advance...or is it? I believe there are grave indications that the Red Sox plan to sit on their wallets this off season-and the signing of a poor defense/ poor offense player like Gomes does nothing to inspire confidence. He's right off the bargain rack, and has no business on a large market team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Billy Hatcher was a better ball player that Gomes is.

Dark days have officialy returned.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to Teakus' comment:

That's exactly why you have to reserve judgement until April and quit complaining because they haven't won the 2013 WS yet.  Plenty of time to pass judgement come April.

You are correct sir, and I shall indeed do that as should all people capable of thought. However, it's certainly not prohibited to discuss these matters in advance...or is it? I believe there are grave indications that the Red Sox plan to sit on their wallets this off season-and the signing of a poor defense/ poor offense player like Gomes does nothing to inspire confidence. He's right off the bargain rack, and has no business on a large market team.

I think that if the Sox would sign just one frontline player or make a trade for one...fans would back off and let the FO do it's its thing...it is a bit concerting to see all the money available and watch other teams make moves while the Sox do virtually nothing. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

I think that if the Sox would sign just one frontline player or make a trade for one...fans would back off and let the FO do it's its thing...it is a bit concerting to see all the money available and watch other teams make moves while the Sox do virtually nothing. 

what teams are making moves? i don't think any big names signed yet ..only one big trade happened so far...just because we signed bench or platoon players does not mean we will not get good players...wintermeetings is around the corner...moves will be made.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

what teams are making moves? i don't think any big names signed yet ..only one big trade happened so far...just because we signed bench or platoon players does not mean we will not get good players...wintermeetings is around the corner...moves will be made.

exactly. trades and FA is a process, it takes time to set up and execute. factor every other GM trying to throw a monkey wrench into your plans and that could hinder the process further. like you said, the winter meetings haven't even happened yet! people need to stop crying

for those who think BC will not make any major moves before 2013 starts your about as inept as you claim cherry to be

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

Billy Hatcher was a better ball player that Gomes is.

Dark days have officialy returned.

Gomes had an .868 OPS last year for a playoff team.

Billy Hatcher played for the Sox when their payroll was about $40 million.

Keep it up though, this is some classic comedy material.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

Again I will ask you a question you HAVE NO ANSWER FOR.

What did Bay do after leaving Boston?

If you are going to make statements make sure you can back them up.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I expect that the Sox will make at least one big move when the GM meeting is held.  If nothing comes out of there...there are still 2 months or so to make a move.  It's easy to track the FA market but almost impossible to see trades coming. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to bingobilly's comment:

If early indications are an image of the future, the RS have chosen to bilk the fans, go the cheap route and pocket the green!

Two choices... Follow another team or change your diapers............

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from -Guru-Meditation-. Show -Guru-Meditation-'s posts

Sections
Shortcuts