sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?:
    "With Bedard making his first start with the Red Sox, I think Francona really wanted to pair him with the veteran.  I think just by his reputation he instills some confidence into the pitchers. Also, with Lester and Lackey pitching the next 2 days, I think Salty will be catching, with Varitek catching Becks on Sunday, so it made sense to start Tek, despite the RHP." Good post Kimmi.  I've noticed recently that you have a pretty good insight and have made some really good points.
    Posted by siestafiesta

I sure that it also was to allow Tek to get a feel for what the guy throws and how he likes to approach each hitter...Intel if you will to pass along to the pitching coach and Salty...

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

"Good post Kimmi.  I've noticed recently that you have a pretty good insight and have made some really good points."

Thanks Siesta, Lloyd, and Alibiike.  It's always nice to get a vote of confidence.  Kiss

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?:
    Yeah, VTek stinks behind the plate. It must all be luck that despite being outhit by VMart & Salty (and others before them), the Sox win way less with them behind the plate.  It's a miracle. 
    Posted by moonslav59

I don't understand why, but some people can't see beyond the offensive numbers of certain players.  Offense is nice, and it takes a balance of offense and defense to have a good team, but there are some positions in which defense is far more important than offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Yeah, VTek stinks behind the plate. It must all be luck that despite being outhit by VMart & Salty (and others before them), the Sox win way less with them behind the plate.  It's a miracle. 
    Posted by moonslav59
    '

hahaha

checkmate

and 7 HR's in 160 AB's by the guy who catches 40% of the games isn't too bad either

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : I don't understand why, but some people can't see beyond the offensive numbers of certain players.  Offense is nice, and it takes a balance of offense and defense to have a good team, but there are some positions in which defense is far more important than offense.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi

Yes!  And, the catching position goes way beyond just "defense" and offense. The catcher has a big influence on how well the pitchers do.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

do the catchers records get free passes when Lackey throws?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

AGon addition tends to produce "a miracle".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Kimmi is a knowledgeable fan who brings a refreshing common sense approach to this forum. All her posts are insightful.
    Posted by Alibiike
    WHAT????....i demand a review!!!....Tongue outLaughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

do the catchers records get free passes when Lackey throws?
    Posted by dannycater

No, why should they?

Lackey with...
                (IP)    ERA    OPS
    VTek    (58)  4.32  .730
    Salty  (109)  5.47  .833
    VMart (123)  4.81  .805 (all in 2010)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : Yup ... like I said, I wasn't expecting that kind of discrepancy in the winning percentages. (BTW, who's the avatar?).
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd

This is who my avatar is

http://www.playerwives.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/alyssa-milanos-starting-rotation-penny-pavano-and-zito/

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

I realize that Tek is Beckett's personal caddy but the only other pitcher I would let him catch (now that his hitting is non-existent) is Wake. Salty looks totally lost back there and it seems that every inning 3 or 4 pitches get away from him. Whether they're passed balls or wild pitches, they can really kill you when runners are in scoring position or on strike outs when first base is open. I don't know why he was in there with Bedard last night.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I realize that Tek is Beckett's personal caddy but the only other pitcher I would let him catch (now that his hitting is non-existent) is Wake. Salty looks totally lost back there and it seems that every inning 3 or 4 pitches get away from him. Whether they're passed balls or wild pitches, they can really kill you when runners are in scoring position or on strike outs when first base is open. I don't know why he was in there with Bedard last night.
    Posted by trouts

Salty has actually done pretty good with Wake.
    Wake with
    Salty: .786 OPS
    VTek: .741

Lackey with
    Salty: .873
    VTek: .743

Lester with
    Salty: .731
    VTek: .496

Beckett with
    Salty: .796
    VTek:  .528

Career Numbers:
    Wake:
    Salty: 4.90 ERA/.786 OPS
    VTek:  4.69 ERA/.778 OPS

Lackey:
    Salty  5.47 ERA/.833 OPS (108 IP)
    VTek 4.32 ERA/.730 OPS (58 IP)

Lester:
    Salty  3.47/.731
    VTek  3.41/.671

Beckett:
    Salty 4.50/.878
    VTek  3.65/.667

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : Lloyd This is who my avatar is http://www.playerwives.com/mlb/boston-red-sox/alyssa-milanos-starting-rotation-penny-pavano-and-zito/
    Posted by SpikeCunn5

Oh my ... please post more often.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Tek cant catch Wake and if you do, chances are your winnimg percentage is probably going to decrease...hence the numbers for Salty

Salty needs to play more seeing the dog days are here

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I think Salty/Tek is a great parlay by Theo (and Terry).  No way is Tek tired at this point, and his savvy behind the plate is invaluable.  Plus catching about 60% of the games keeps Salty very fresh.  I would change nothing and make plans to use the same combo next year. 

Lavarnway is hitting so well, you know he is at least going to get a good look in Boston, but, based on reports about him, I don't think he is quite yet an MLB catcher.  Plus he has never faced MLB pitching, so the hitting is also unproven. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have the 3rd best catcher OPS in MLB. That is pretty amazing after the awful start Salty & VTek had. 

Lavarnway may be great, but you don't try to fix something that ain't broke. There is no need to rush Lavarnway. Save his options, extend the control years, let him learn how to catch, and then bring him up when he can play a lot and we have a slot for him. (DH?  C? Somehwere else?)

Theo's got some choices to make this winter, including these two that effect Lavarnway's chances of a FT job with the big club:
    1) Bring Papi back and at what cost. (I say pay the man!)
    2) Bring VTek back. (I say yes!) 

We'll see Lavarnway in September if he's added to the 40 man roster.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

YOu said pay Crawford, too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : So that is a 69.5% winning catcher for VTEK and a 56.3% for Salty? do I have that right? I know that Francona is instrumental with the matchups so maybe he knows something after all.
    Posted by SpikeCunn5

No, Francona is an idiot because he doesn't bunt.  Quit using W-L records, post-season appearances and Champisonships to judge managers.

It's all about the bunting...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think Papi will be looking for a 2-3 year contract.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Agree.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could see $20M/2 or something less but with easy incentive clauses that could bring him up to $13M.

Sections
Shortcuts