sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from allancrain. Show allancrain's posts

sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?

Does anyone have the above stats.  I don't know how you can start Tek against right-handed pitching unless Beckett starts.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?

Tek is 32-14 after tonight
    Salty is 36-28

Have to admit, those numbers surprised me a little.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpikeCunn5. Show SpikeCunn5's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?:
    Tek is 32-14 after tonight Salty is 36-28 Have to admit, those numbers surprised me a little.
    Posted by LloydDobler

So that is a 69.5% winning catcher for VTEK and a 56.3% for Salty? do I have that right?

I know that Francona is instrumental with the matchups so maybe he knows something after all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?:
    In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : So that is a 69.5% winning catcher for VTEK and a 56.3% for Salty? do I have that right? I know that Francona is instrumental with the matchups so maybe he knows something after all.
    Posted by SpikeCunn5

Yup ... like I said, I wasn't expecting that kind of discrepancy in the winning percentages.
    (BTW, who's the avatar?).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers?:
    Does anyone have the above stats.  I don't know how you can start Tek against right-handed pitching unless Beckett starts.
    Posted by allancrain

If Tek had batted 8 times tonight he'd have been rung up on strikes every time.  He has no business batting left handed and I'm shocked that Francona didn't put a stop to that back in 2004.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

With Bedard making his first start with the Red Sox, I think Francona really wanted to pair him with the veteran.  I think just by his reputation he instills some confidence into the pitchers.

Also, with Lester and Lackey pitching the next 2 days, I think Salty will be catching, with Varitek catching Becks on Sunday, so it made sense to start Tek, despite the RHP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

It was totally expected. VTeks had a better winning percentage than VMart as well, a catcher who hit way way way better than him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

If you are going to do the comparison, mark down who caught who for every one of those games.  Salty caught more early on when the team stunk and Tek has had Salty.

I'd take Salty now 75% of the time. Tek looks like he's in his August/September batting swoon as his average is down to .231 and Salty is up to .265.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you are going to do the comparison, mark down who caught who for every one of those games. 

Games per month by VTek & Salty:
        VTek  Salty
    April 13   16
    May 14    19
    June 11    15
    July  10    16

Looks like the ratio was higher for VTek earlier than later.

VTek has been pretty much Beckett's exclusive catcher, while Salty got Lester, Buch, and Wake. The team is 15-6 in Beckett's starts, even with poorer than normal run support. The Sox are 17-8 with VTek in non-Beckett games. . 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In 2010, the Sox were 16-7 in games VTek started and finished. They were 2-0 in games he did not start, but caught more innings.

That's 18-7 on a team that went 89-73, meaning the team went 71-66 in games where someone else caught more innings than VTek. When you figure how much better VMart hit than VTek, you'd think this is surprising. It is not. VTek's winning trend goes beyond 2010 and 2011 proving the catching position is not mostly about how well you can hit, but instead, how well you can catch and call a good game. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

If you are going to do the comparison, mark down who caught who for every one of those games.  Games per month by VTek & Salty:     VTek  Salty April 13   16 May 14    19 June 11    15 July  10    16 Looks like the ratio was higher for VTek earlier than later. VTek has been pretty much Beckett's exclusive catcher, while Salty got Lester, Buch, and Wake. The team is 15-6 in Beckett's starts, even with poorer than normal run support. The Sox are 17-8 with VTek in non-Beckett games. . 
    Posted by moonslav59

Imagine that. .680 with Tek not catching Beckett. Similar to last year...when he didn't catch Beckett.

Must be Tek's bat.  Wink

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Varitek doesn't have a winning %. He isn't able to field the position or offset at the plate well enough to last a season as a backup, much less a starter. Despite all the false confidence for Salty-Varitek, it's a position of weakness. Salty, after a couple of months, has proven to be adequate as a split time catcher. But he doesn't field position well enough to be a true full-time quality catcher.

Red Sox need to move on without Varitek in 2012, and they need to make certain they get a strong fielding catcher on 2012 roster. Lavarnway should get a call-up and spring chance to move ahead of Salty on depth chart.

Red Sox need to step it up on the bottom of the lineup. Offense is where they can keep a leg up on the Yankees. They need a fresh young body like Lavarnway in the lineup. It's now close enough to AAA ending to where Lavarnway should move Varitek to 3rd catcher. Mac should be run through waivers and 3 catchers should be carried.

Lavarnway isn't a top defensive catcher, but it's too late to try and make that move this late. He will provide a weapon on offense and energy that is lacking with a predictably worn out and old Varitek. 3 catchers should be the move now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Must be Chief Cherokee voo-doo.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Varitek is toast by August, even as a backup. He needs to be a once a week monty and given a 2012 gold watch, tryst pad, and retirement walking papers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Toast? This is August. Tek still makes his bread.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

This is dog days, and Varitek is a dead dog at this time, for many years now.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

This is dog days, and Varitek is a dead dog at this time, for many years now.
    Posted by softylaw

And yet he's still there...

VMART makes a fine DH.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

He won't be here for much longer. Without fail, late in the season, he looks like a walking "corps".

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

The sox have the third best  offensive production from the catching position  in all of MLB, I don't know seems to me that this tandem is working just fine but of course you ALWAYS know better!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"With Bedard making his first start with the Red Sox, I think Francona really wanted to pair him with the veteran.  I think just by his reputation he instills some confidence into the pitchers.

Also, with Lester and Lackey pitching the next 2 days, I think Salty will be catching, with Varitek catching Becks on Sunday, so it made sense to start Tek, despite the RHP."

Good post Kimmi.  I've noticed recently that you have a pretty good insight and have made some really good points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

"With Bedard making his first start with the Red Sox, I think Francona really wanted to pair him with the veteran.  I think just by his reputation he instills some confidence into the pitchers. Also, with Lester and Lackey pitching the next 2 days, I think Salty will be catching, with Varitek catching Becks on Sunday, so it made sense to start Tek, despite the RHP." Good post Kimmi.  I've noticed recently that you have a pretty good insight and have made some really good points.
    Posted by siestafiesta

I agree, Kimmi's all right. Also, love the name --- siestafiesta. Not a bad way to go through life, huh?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

"With Bedard making his first start with the Red Sox, I think Francona really wanted to pair him with the veteran.  I think just by his reputation he instills some confidence into the pitchers. Also, with Lester and Lackey pitching the next 2 days, I think Salty will be catching, with Varitek catching Becks on Sunday, so it made sense to start Tek, despite the RHP." Good post Kimmi.  I've noticed recently that you have a pretty good insight and have made some really good points.
    Posted by siestafiesta

Wow, is that ever condescending. Kimmi is a knowledgeable fan who brings a refreshing common sense approach to this forum. All her posts are insightful.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: sox record with Varitek and Saltalamacchia.as starting catchers? : Wow, is that ever condescending. Kimmi is a knowledgeable fan who brings a refreshing common sense approach to this forum. All her posts are insightful.
    Posted by Alibiike

"Condescending?" Siestafiesta complimented her. If he wants to call me insightful, I won't take offense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, VTek stinks behind the plate. It must all be luck that despite being outhit by VMart & Salty (and others before them), the Sox win way less with them behind the plate. 

It's a miracle. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OKRedSoxFan. Show OKRedSoxFan's posts

I don't see how fans or management can't be pleased with their improvement and contributions thus far in the season.  Obtaining Salty was a smart move by management and he seems to get better with every outing.....and for the life of me, I don't understand why Varitek doesn't hit right handed more often......he looks like a player that's uncomfortable when hitting on the left side of the plate.  When batting right handed, he's a player with confidence in his eyes.  Don't know how many times I have said to my wife that she has a better swing than Tek from the left side.

Sections
Shortcuts