Sox Release Cordero

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox Release Cordero

Not sure what else he could have done...

Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero By  Jeff Todd [March 29 at 11:20am CST]

The Red Sox have released pitcher Francisco Corderotweets Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The move was expected after GM Ben Cherington said this morning that Cordero would not make the roster and was not expected to accept a minor league assignment.

Cordero, soon to turn 39, has not seen MLB action since 2012. Once one of the most reliable relievers in the game, the longtime closer had a rough go in his last big league season, putting up a 7.55 ERA campaign in 2012. Before that, however, he had gone a decade of full-time work without an ERA greater than 3.84, and had posted six seasons of sub-3.00 ERA pitching. In eight spring innings for the Red Sox this year, Cordero struck out eight while surrendering just one walk, five hits, and no earned runs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Sox Release Cordero

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Red Sox have released pitcher Francisco Corderotweets Tim Britton of the Providence Journal. The move was expected after GM Ben Cherington said this morning that Cordero would not make the roster and was not expected to accept a minor league assignment.

Cordero, soon to turn 39, has not seen MLB action since 2012. Once one of the most reliable relievers in the game, the longtime closer had a rough go in his last big league season, putting up a 7.55 ERA campaign in 2012. Before that, however, he had gone a decade of full-time work without an ERA greater than 3.84, and had posted six seasons of sub-3.00 ERA pitching. In eight spring innings for the Red Sox this year, Cordero struck out eight while surrendering just one walk, five hits, and no earned runs.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what else could have been done? Really? How about sending Workman down and keeping Cordero. If he fails, you just bring Workman back up and release him then. That way you keep BOTH RP. I think this move was pretty dumb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Does it matter ????

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yeah, disappointing. I figured he'd make the team. I wouldn't want him closing, but he'd be a great setup guy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, disappointing. I figured he'd make the team. I wouldn't want him closing, but he'd be a great setup guy.

[/QUOTE]

Its hard to understand. Its a no lose situation to send Workman down and keep Cordero until he fails to produce. The management has made a lot of good decisions; this isn't one of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftfielder61. Show Leftfielder61's posts

I am confused on why we brought him into camp. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what type of year he has.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I wish we would have traded a reliever this spring. That would have allowed us to keep Cordero.

The reason he was brought in was for insurance. The insurance was thankfully not needed.

The reason we didn't keep Cordero now instead of Workman is because in one week, Breslow will come up and Workman will be sent down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
     How about sending Workman down and keeping Cordero. If he fails, you just bring Workman back up and release him then. That way you keep BOTH RP. I think this move was pretty dumb.

I'm not sure mr green but

aren't U talking apples & oranges

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

How about sending Workman down and keeping Cordero. If he fails, you just bring Workman back up and release him then. That way you keep BOTH RP. I think this move was pretty dumb.

I'm not sure mr green but

aren't U talking apples & oranges

[/QUOTE]

I thought Capuano was going to be our long man.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

ok got it

I just assumed they would want to keep workman stretched out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

This is absolutely ridiculous. Why did they sign him? To get him in shape for another team? The guy did everything he could to make the team. What were they expecting anyway? Ridiculous waste of time. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

ok got it

[/QUOTE]

However, as someone else said here (above), if Breslow is going to come back in a week then Workman has to be sent down to make room for him. So there would be no obvious place for Cordero unless Miller, who has been ineffective this spring, is placed on the DL.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ok got it

edit: I just assumed they would want to keep workman stretched out

[/QUOTE]

However, as someone else said here (above), if Breslow is going to come back in a week then Workman has to be sent down to make room for him. So there would be no obvious place for Cordero unless Miller, who has been ineffective this spring, is placed on the DL.

[/QUOTE]

saw that afterwards made sense

when was the last time U saw a more frustrating talent than miller

so hard to give up on him

if workman becomes a short man

does he have 2 change his name ;-)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This is absolutely ridiculous. Why did they sign him? To get him in shape for another team? The guy did everything he could to make the team. What were they expecting anyway? Ridiculous waste of time. 

[/QUOTE]

They signed him in case one of the RP got hurt, I am sure. Insurance. Thats the only explanation that makes any sense at all. Still, I would have preferred to DL Miller who has not really done the job in ST.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Evidently they felt his numbers weren't really indicative of how he was throwing the ball.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

In response to Leftfielder61's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am confused on why we brought him into camp. It will be interesting to see where he lands and what type of year he has.

[/QUOTE]

The next New York Yankee?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jidgef. Show jidgef's posts

What's important to note about Cordero's numbers this spring is that he has always pitched very late in games, therefore not facing any varsity hitters. His numbers are meaningless. While he looked good mowing down minor league hitters, people who know more than us deceided he might not have the same luck against major league hitters. Someone will take a chance on him, but I don't expect him to be a major factor anywhere.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

Not sure this is a "big deal" but I don't get why they brought him in. 
    They brought him in. He did much better than probably was expected. And they cut him. 
    What was the point? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They signed him in case one of the RP got hurt, I am sure. Insurance. Thats the only explanation that makes any sense at all. Still, I would have preferred to DL Miller who has not really done the job in ST.

[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that they need pitchers to throw innings.  The SPs are throwing 2-3 in their first outing, and only now are going 6-7.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Evidently they felt his numbers weren't really indicative of how he was throwing the ball.

[/QUOTE]

Yup, I'm pretty sure none of can interpret his numbers.  I don't even know his velocity.

Did you know that there were 40 pitchers with an ERA of 0.00 with a minimum of 20 batters faced?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that they need pitchers to throw innings.  The SPs are throwing 2-3 in their first outing, and only now are going 6-7.

[/QUOTE]

They signed this guy. He faced the hitters they wanted him to face. He got them out. They cut him. No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense. To say they needed pitchers to throw innings sounds like spin. He threw eight innings. How hard would it have been to replace that?  The question remains: Why did they sign him? What did they expect from him? It is quite a stretch to say they signed him in case someone got hurt. The whole thing is puzzling.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They signed this guy. He faced the hitters they wanted him to face. He got them out. They cut him. No matter how you look at it, it makes no sense. To say they needed pitchers to throw innings sounds like spin. He threw eight innings. How hard would it have been to replace that?  The question remains: Why did they sign him? What did they expect from him? It is quite a stretch to say they signed him in case someone got hurt. The whole thing is puzzling.

[/QUOTE]

I agree. There's lots of guys who can just throw innings up. I think he was signed in case someone got hurt...and I think that given the job he did, they should keep him around.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not sure what else could have been done? Really? How about sending Workman down and keeping Cordero. If he fails, you just bring Workman back up and release him then. That way you keep BOTH RP. I think this move was pretty dumb.

[/QUOTE]

Hey Pumpsie, try reading what I wrote. I said I'm not sure what else HE (Cordero) could have done to make this team.

It seems apparent that he was only brought into camp as insurance against 2-3 pen injuries.

I'd have given him a slot. There will be plenty of opportunities for others to get a chance to shine, and they can be sent to AAA without the risk of losing them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

ya this move makes no sense. you bring a guy like cordero in to see if he has any gas left in the tank and he pitched better than anyone could have expected. Its not like workman or badenhop pitched overly well this spring, and cordero pitched great. As someone said, just send workman down and give cordero a shot. If he reverts to his recent mediocrity then we release him. Cutting him now is pointless. Also sets a bad precedent for fa signings going forward. Really starting to wonder about the fo, the number of questionable decisions is mounting and mounting.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

RS Pride, I have to agree.

Keeping him on the Opening Day roster and giving Workman a couple of opportunities at AAA might have been  a good option. If Cordero got knocked around when it counted, so be it, release him then. The possible upside of having a veteran presence until Breslow gets back would have been my choice.

In addition it would have given BenC some time to find a trade partner for Cordero. My view of BenC is waning---he has difficulty making  trades???What???After unloading four contracts to the Dodgers, difficulty making trades??? I think LL helped with that move--not sure.

Peavy for Iggy---lots of unrest from the Nation.

Almost everything else has been FA signings Ross, AJ, Nap,Gomes, Carp, Vic, Sizemore, Mujica, Ue, etc.

Who has he made a trade for other than Peavy? He has difficulty with trading, it may be a phobia...My mind will change when he makes one major, impactful move. 

I'm sure the Board will disagree and come up with moves I have forgotten---I'm ready...