Sox reportedly after Garza

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Sox reportedly after Garza

I do look at Garza as costing about the same as Anibal Sanchez did last year, namely a pacakge headlined by one top 50 prospect.  If Sanchez is worth Jacob Turner, in no way do the Sox get Garza without giving up either Webster or Barnes. 

Epstein was also very enamored with Webster last July, insisting on getting him for Ryan Dempster (which is why the dal with LA fell apart).  Barring a drastic change in his opinion, I would assume Webster is probably a necessity if you want Garza.  That makes it a tough call, but I think I pass.

The smarter move would be to go for an effective bullpen.  The dumbest thing to do is emphasize closing experience over actual effectiveness.  Just get someone who can get outs and let the ninth sort itself out, especailly since the sox have a couple arms (Uehara, Tazawa specifically) capable of getting 3 outs before they give up 3 runs.   I'd rather see the Sox get someone like Aaron Crow or Luke Hochevar over someone like Kevin Gregg... 

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i would be all for getting garza if the cost is reasonable, and if we can move ryan dempster. He was a bad signing to start with and now he is just taking up a roster spot. he is 5-8 with a 4.11 era and 1.38 whip, and is only averaging 5.89 innings pitched per start. none of his numbers are good, and he is not pitching deep into games despite being labled an innings eater. if we can deal him for a small return of sure someone will take him. ( we could also offer to eat some of his salary) Then we open up a spot for garza:

Lester

Buchholz

Garza

Lackey

Doubront

I was totallyagainst the Dempster signing from day 1, but I think you are being a bit harsh. His run support has been horrific. My guess is that if he was 8-5, nobody would notice the high WHIP.

I will say that if you are going to use certain stats to criticize Dempster, I find it odd that he is not the worst of our 5 starters at any of them:

ERA:

1.71 Buch

2.81 Lack

3.74 Doub

4.11 Demp

4.41 Lest

WHIP:

1.02 Buch

1.17 Lack

1.33 Lest

1.381 Demp

1.385 Doub

IP per start:

7.03 Buch (12 starts)

6.35 Lester (18 starts)

6.16 Lack (14)

5.92 Demp (17)

5.77 Doub (15)

All but Lester and Dempster have missed starts due to injury. Dempster is second on the team in IP (14 ahead of Lackey and Doubront and 16 ahead of Buch).

Our offense has scored 0-2 runs 13 times this year. 6 have been in Dempster starts. The next closest starter has 2. We have scored 6+ runs 28 times:

6+ runs/GS

Lest   7/18

Buch 5/12

Doub 5/15

Demp 4/17

Lack  2/14

I know he's getting paid to picth better than this, but he's done better than Lester, and with a little luck and support, he'd have a much better record.

i was against the signing from day 1 as well, and still am. I don't really care about his record that much, its the other stats that are troubling. And the fact that we are paying what 12.5-13 mill this year and next for a glorified #5 starter. I would rather that money be spent on a garza or papelbon, not a #5 starter. I could put up with his numbers if he was pitching deep into games, but the fact that he's not even averaging 6 innings pitched per start, is brutal. Not only is he not pitching well and giving up alot of home runs, but he is taxing the pen too. One of our biggest problems last year was overuse of the pen, we need starters who can pitch deep into games. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Averaging 6IP per start is not as common as you think...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I was totallyagainst the Dempster signing from day 1, but I think you are being a bit harsh. His run support has been horrific. My guess is that if he was 8-5, nobody would notice the high WHIP.

I was also against it, but if he'd had some run support this year his record would look much better:

----

We could only manage two runs for him in his first outing against the Yankees.

He handed off a lead against the Birds only to see Hanran blow the save.

He allowed only one earned run in seven vs the Rays only to have Bailey blow the save and pick up the win.

We couldn't manage more than two runs when he had to face KC.

He pitched seven fairly solid innings against the Twins, giving up only two earned runs. He hurt himself with a balk, but the real damage was two errors by Ciriaco, one by Salty, no run support and relief pitching not as good as him.

He earned the loss where the Jays buried him.

Gave up fewer earned runs than the relief vs the Indians, but picked up the loss.

Lost to the Phils because we couldn't muster more than one run despite seven fine innings of work.

Pitched eight brilliant innings against the Birds, but we couldn't even manage a single run for him.

Had a quality start against the Rays, but we manage only two runs.

Was in line for the win vs the Jays until Uehara's blown save.

----

He's really done better than I expected. I just cringe sometimes as he seems to leave it up in the zone as the game progresses ...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

More on Dempster.

Another good outing by Dempster waisted tonight.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Garza is a good pitcher--we haven't even seen Rubby throw a pitch for the Sox yet . My only concern trading Ells to the Cubs--perhaps Garza for Ells---both are making the same. Theo would flip him to the Yankees for prospects.

Then move ShaVic into the leadoff followed by Pedroia, Ortiz, Nap, JBJ, Salty, Iggy, Nava, Snyder.

I have talked with one person that has seen Cecchini and he was very, very impressed. BenC knows his personnel too well to let Cecchini get away. If you  don't want Ells traded how about Hassan and AA pitcher--Drake Britton--both guys are blocked and both are on the 40.

Haha, right. Trade your .300 batting leadoff hitter in the league's top offense for a mediocre starting pitcher. Sounds great, go for it.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

dempster is OK ...i dont care what the stats are he has been servicable and getting Garza would not improve the rotation that much - especially if he is replacing Buch long term...if youre going to give up prospects then call Philly and get Lee or Paplebon back

As always - 100% correct!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I could put up with his numbers if he was pitching deep into games, but the fact that he's not even averaging 6 innings pitched per start, is brutal. 

He basically gets about 1 less out per game than Lester, about the same as Lackey, and better than Doubront, and he leads the team in games started- 6 more than Buch, 4 more than Lackey, and 3 more than Doubront. When those three miss starts, and we go with Aceves or Webster, how do you think that taxes the pen?

Looking at total GS'd and IP per start, it's easy to see that Dempster and Lester have done a better job at "saving the pen" than any other SP on our team, yet this is the area you choose to criticize him most about.

IP per start:

7.03 Buch (12 starts)

6.35 Lester (18)

6.16 Lack (14)

5.94 Demp (18)

5.77 Doub (15)

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts