Sox resign Ryan Sweeny

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Sox resign Ryan Sweeny

From WEEI.com:

According to a major league source, the Red Sox have reached an agreement on a minor league deal with outfielder Ryan Sweeney. Sweeney, who turns 28 next month, spent 2012 with the Red Sox after being acquired from the A’s in a trade along with right-hander Andrew Bailey for outfielder Josh Reddick and minor leaguers Miles Head and Raul Alcantara.

Sweeney hit .260 with a .303 OBP, .373 slugging mark and .675 OPS in 63 games, with his season coming to a sudden halt on July 30 when he broke his hand (requiring season-ending surgery) by punching a clubhouse door at Fenway Park. However, his production diminished considerably after he suffered a concussion while making a spectacular diving catch against the Phillies. At the time of that injury, he was hitting .311/.341/.443/.784. Thereafter, he hit .183/.247/.268/.515. In parts of seven big league seasons, he owns a lifetime average of .280 with a .338 OBP, .378 slugging mark and .715 OPS.

The Red Sox elected to non-tender the arbitration-eligible Sweeney last December. However, the team maintained interest in bringing him back on a minor league deal.

The agreement occurred earlier today — at a time when it appears likely that Ryan Kalish will require shoulder surgery that is likely to sideline him for months at the start of the 2013 season. Sweeney has an opt-out in the deal that would allow him to elect free agency if he is not added to the major league roster prior to the end of spring training. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox resign Ryan Sweeny

softy will be happy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Could be bad news for Nava.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

The giant that swings a wiffle bat.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

He Has His Pick......LOL........

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He can field, and Gomes/Nava can not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

I always liked that yellow one myself, only, I spray painted mine black for realism. Heck, Id play wiffle ball tommorow if I could find someone to pitch to me. Love it.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

To bad he isn't a first baseman!omeone mentioned the possibility of Lars Anderson returning as he was designated for assignment and he will have too clear waivers,good chance the Sox bring him back.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I'd take him over Nava; apart from the lack of power, he's a good ballplayer.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

He promised he wouldn't punch any more doors

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

He promised he wouldn't punch any more doors

He Will Be Sporting This.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

To bad he isn't a first baseman!omeone mentioned the possibility of Lars Anderson returning as he was designated for assignment and he will have too clear waivers,good chance the Sox bring him back.

They already have Gomez and mark Hamilton (1b/OF LHH) in AAA. Unless they move one, Lars probably isnt a fit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Good move.  Plays hard, plays all 3 OF positions well, cheap.  Still young enough to learn to hit a bit more than .747 vs RHP.  Much rather have him than Nava in the field.

Very happy with a late inning OF defense of Sweeney/Ellsbury/Victorino.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I had hopes of Kalish coming in and winning the LF spot and getting more ab's than Gomes. Starting to think Kalish won't stay healty enough in his career to be depended on. RS farm weak spot is corner OF's. I have been a proponent of Boegardts staying at SS, starting to wonder if it plays out with him in the corner and Marrero at SS. I first saw Boegardts 3 years ago and posted on this board about him, I saw his comp as JUpton, not Hanley as others have stated. They both derive power from their wrists, not upper or lower body. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

I like Sweeney ... as a couple have said, can field well.  If he overcomes the head issue, can hit for avg as well

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

A couple of keys to this signing...

It's a minor league deal with an opt out clause if he doesn't make the major league roster...

Given the loss of Kalish, my guess is that he's the guy that takes the bus during split squad games..

If he makes the team he's a legit defensive RF and won't have an issue coming off the bench...

If he doesn't it's no big loss...

If he does, good for him

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Not exactly the LHH outfielder I was hoping for, but if they do not make a trade, this was the best one available.

On a minor league deal, it is harmless...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

If I am the Red Sox I buy Sweeney a first baseman's glove and start hitting him balls as soon as he sets foot in Fort Myers.

In fact and better still, if I am Ryan Sweeney (and don't already have such a glove) I go out and buy one TODAY, right this second even, and start making it comfortable on his hand.  It could be what keeps him in the major leagues for another season or two.

He HAS to be athletic enough to learn to play first base in the next two months if he can play center field on the major league level even if he has never played an inning at first base yet.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I'll even go down to Fort Myers and hit those ground balls to Sweeney for a place to stay and a little money for food.  Kind of cold around here right now.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

It's kind of hard to believe that the Red Sox were forced to sign this guy again.

There has to be a AAA or AA OF who can play just as well as sweeny with his nerf bat.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

I always liked that yellow one myself, only, I spray painted mine black for realism. Heck, Id play wiffle ball tommorow if I could find someone to pitch to me. Love it.

Me, too!  We used to tape up our bats, with electrical tape, to give it a little "boing" factor.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

It's kind of hard to believe that the Red Sox were forced to sign this guy again.

There has to be a AAA or AA OF who can play just as well as sweeny with his nerf bat.

You can't believe this can you?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Growing up, we used to have a league.  We would draft MLB players, and keep stats, too.  We had to bat the way the player did, too, and we would choose the bat based on whether the player was a slugger, a dooubles guy, or a light hitter.

"Canseco" would get to use the big, yellow Bam-Bam bat,  a Mike Greenwell would use this medium-width black bat, and an Ozzie Smith or Vince Coleman would have to use the skinny yellow bat.

Good times.  Our yards would have their own ground rules and names.  

I am a lefty when batting, but still led the league in homers and avg. as a righty "Canseco", thanks to the fat bat!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Did anyone ever fill their bat with water and freeze it?  Someone somewhere said this provided additional "pop".  Don't remember if it actually did, though.

Fun trying different things out.  Oh, those were the days!

Sections
Shortcuts