He's making softy/betterred look bad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Sox should DFA Wakefield

Priceless

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: Sox should DFA Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]Priceless
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]Actually parhunter's idea, but he can't start threads right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

2 bad pitches all day.

He needs to be cut before he implodes.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

I think Tim should keep starting for awhile......betterred needs the DFA..otherwise known as.....Devine Freakin' Absolution!!.....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]2 bad pitches all day. He needs to be cut before he implodes.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

You say that like it's a positive thing. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The final score should have been 12-2 but that idiot FranCOMA left old man Wakefield in too long.
    Wake=DFA,Francoma=Fired.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In Response to Sox should DFA Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]He's making softy/betterred look bad.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

OH, MY!!  THE SYLPHIS IS ATTAKING YOUR BRAIN?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

I think that if I see what's his nuts call timmy "wastefield" one more time I'm gonna reach into my screen and grab him by his scrawny neck and ring it until his eyeballs pop out.........3 runs or less in 5 of the last 8 games. time to show some respect to our winningest pitcher of this club. nice game to day Timmy. I was so proud of him and our boys today. really nice touch with the bruins being honored at fenway today.

nice fathers day to get a W eh guys?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]I think that if I see what's his nuts call timmy "wastefield" one more time I'm gonna reach into my screen and grab him by his scrawny neck and ring it until his eyeballs pop out.........3 runs or less in 5 of the last 8 games. time to show some respect to our winningest pitcher of this club. nice game to day Timmy. I was so proud of him and our boys today. really nice touch with the bruins being honored at fenway today. nice fathers day to get a W eh guys?
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Hammah,
    He had a similar threat on another thread and started talking about his second amendment rights...too funny..So far Wake and Ells has buried him and he cant stand being wrong..One by one, everyone he has blasted here is proving him wrong. And one by one, are slowly being brought up less and less by him..hes running out of arguements..His latest is skewing things his way by talking about Wakes record during his injury period from 09..I smell desperation, which usually signals his next victim..The Wake talk should be stopped soon as he has given no reason to talk bad about his pitching..But I would still like to see a good stranglingSealed

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

A great outing by Wastefield. Waste not, want not. OK, I couldn't stop myself. Also, Ells should make the AS team, but I digress.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

wins and counting till he is with Roger and CY at 192

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

8 innings, 2 runs, horrible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Softlaw is MIA because he found a free source that streams all of the old episodes of Bat Masterson.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a closer look at how Wake's runs were let up. It shows his ERA and record could be much better...

IP   H  ER  BB
    1) 5/1 vs Sea    5.2  3   1   1
    2) 5/6 vs MN     4.1  9   6   4 (2 days after a relief game)
    3) 5/22 v Cubs  6.2  4   1   4 (11 days off after a relief game)
    4) 5/27 @ Det   7.0   5   2   2
    5) 6/1 vs CWS  6.0   7   4   1
    6) 6/8 @ NYY    5.1   5   5   3 (Short notice on 7 days rest)
    7) 6/14 @ TB     7.0   4   1   5
    8) 6/19 v Mil     8.0   3   3   1

Total as a starter: 50 IP 40 H  23 ER  17 BB
    4.14 ERA    1.14 WHIP

Game 1: Wake had a shutout going into the 6th with 2 outs. He lets up a line drive single, but Tito takes him out. Jenks procedds to let his run score and 1 more and the game is tied: Wake gets a no decision. Sox win in the 9th.

Game 2: No excuses. Wake got crushed, but Tito left him in for 9 hits and 4 Bbs in just 4.1 IP. He had Aceves in the pen, and he could have used him earlier. Here's how the runs scored: HR (solo). BB />Inf single /> Line drive single /> 2 outs /> Ground ball single > Balk (2 runs not exactly well earned by the Twins).  Solo HR. 5th inning: BB> Ground ball single> Out> single to short LF> Deep Dbl> Wake replaced. Aceves lets Wakes run in.

Game 3: 6 shut out innings then a ground ball 2B and a deep dble (1 run scored) Bard keeps Wake's run from scoring. We win.

Game 4: 1st inning, Ground ball single />SB />2 flyouts />groundball single (Kind of a cheap run). Solo HR in 2nd. Wake shuts the Tigers down until releived in the 8th. Sox win.

Game 5: Sox up 3-0 into the 4th, then the CWS deep single /> passed Ball /> Fly Out />  HBP /> K > Bloop Dbl down LF line (maybe a cheap run). 5th inning: BB> Bloop single > GO > SB> Ground out (run scores) Groundball Dbl (tied score- kind of a cheap run). 6th inning: Solo HR. Papi ties it, but Albers later gets the loss.

Game 6: (Short notice start) 3 shut out innings then a Solo HR in the 4th by ARod. Wake trips over runner to end the 4th. The Yankee 5th: BB /> PB /> single (run) /> Dbl over Jacoby's head (Bad angle taken by Ellsbury, but not sure if he could have caught it anyways) /> Ground out> Sac Fly to shallow LF (Weak armed CC makes a weak/bad throw) Cheap run(s)? Maybe.  Yankee 6th inning: HBP> Flyout> BB and Wake gets yanked (rightfully so IMO) Aceves did a great job in relief to help Wake get the win, but he did allow 2 singles to let Wake's runner score.

Game 7: 4 1/3 scoreless ball before a HR down the line. Another run scores on 2 BBs and 2 passed balls (unearned).

Game 8: 2 bad pitches for solid HRs. Only 3 hits and 1 BB over 8 IP.

Judge for yourself, but I think many of Wake's "earned" runs allowed
    as a starter this year, have been on the "cheap side". He could easily be 5-2
    and with some or a lot of luck have let up 5-9 runs less. Had this happened, Wake's ERA could have been about 2.50 to 3.00.

Sox Starters:
    ERA
    Beckett  1.86
    Buch      3.48
    Lest       3.70
    Wake    4.14
    Acev     4.50
    Dice      4.95
    Lack     7.02

WHIP
    Beck   0.924
    Wake  1.140
    Lest    1.274
    Buch   1.294
    Dice    1.404
    Acev   1.438
    Lack   1.559

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Clearly he needs to be pulled from the rotation. He's falling apart. Throwing 119 pitches, then another 100 in 8 innings today. There's no way he can throw 30 starts ever again. I mean that's what everyone said last year...Oh wait, that was the Red Sox front office spinning that nonsense first, then the rest of the board buying in. Let it be known, there's only a few of us who wanted Wakefield as a regular, fulltime starter last year. Or this year. A lot of guys who are now patting him on the back were the same people discounting him from being an integral part of the pitching staff. He's just not good enough to be in the rotation over Dice-K (career finished likely), Lackey (he's spent more time on the DL than Tim). Enough of the baloney. Wakefield is shoving down most of you yahoos mouths. Including softinthebrain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've been a big Wake supporter for years, however, I do recall that the Sox had said something about wanting to limit his IP to about 140-150, so he would be fresh for the 2008 playoffs. Instead, he pitched so well they needed to keep him in the rotation all season. That was Wake's last FT starter and full season year.

He did have back-to-back 30+ start seasons from 2007 to 2008, but was under 190 IP both years. He was on pace for 200+ IP in 2009 before the back injury.

Wake had back surgery that winter, but still had a shot at starting much more than he did in 2010. He started the first 4 rotations with a 5.40 ERA. I agree, he wrongly pulled from the top 5 in early May (*see below on Dice-K). He basically missed about 2 starts in early May before Beckett got hurt and he was right back in the rotation for 12 straight starts (one 2.1 IP relief stint on one skipped start). In short, he had 16 starts by July 20th, the team's 94th game. He had 3 long relief stints (2.1-3 IP) and one 1 IP game. His ERA on July 20th was 5.58. He basically missed about 2-3 starts up to then.
    Buch had his 16th start on July 21st (missed 2-3 starts on DL)
    Lester had 20 starts by July 22nd.
    Lackey had 20 starts by July 22nd. He was 9-5 with a 4.36 ERA
    Beckett had 7 starts, then had 11 days before his 8th start on May 18th and didnt get his 9th start until July 23rd.He didnt miss anotehr start.

As it turned out Dice-K only took about 2 starts away from Wake, since Beckett got hurt in May. He would have filled in for Beckett anyway.

*Dice-K should have had more rehab time. I suggested that Wake stay in the rotation until the end of May to give Dice-K more time. I then thought Wake should take the back seat and be the 6th starter. As it turned out Beckett and others got hurt and Wake still got some starts after May, but he was jerked back and forth way too much (10 times).
    Dice-K had a 7.89 ERA those first 4 games in May, but then proved he was worthy of a rotation slot:
    IP/ ER
    8.0/0
    4.2/3
    6.2/3
    8.0/0
    5.0/2

6.0/3
    5.0/4
    6.0/2
    6.2/1
    6.0/1

6.0/4
    8.0/1
    5.2/4
    6.2/4

8.0/4
    5.2/4
    4.2/8
    6.0/5
    6.1/4
    8.0/2
    5.0/2

Maybe Wake would have done better, but I really am not sure he could have started 30 games last year. I can understand the point: let him try. He ended up starting 19 games sporadically. I'm not sayiung he couldn't have gone 30, but the guy had just had back surgery.

tom, I know you think they shouldn't have signed Lackey. I do not think Wake would have had much of a better year than Lackey or Dice-K after May. Lackey gave us 22/33 quality starts in 2010. Even Wake's great start of 2009, he only had 11/18 QSs. His great 2008 season with the 5th best WHIP in MLB, he only managed 19/30 QSs.

I do think Wake can give us 180+ IP this year, but I prefer he gives us about 150-160 and then maybe 20 fresh IPs in the playoffs.

He's on pace for about 140 now.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Thanks to carnie for starting the thread I could not.  Curious how absent softy has been today, with Wake and Ells both doing well!?! 

Wakefield has been and still is one of the best #5 starters in all of baseball.  Anyone who doubts that just needs to look up the numbers.  Or, better yet, just read moon's posts, since he looks up all the numbers for you.

Unfortunately, a few here (or maybe it's all just one person?) just will not believe the numbers.  Numbers get in the way of their "truths."

My guess is that if Miller has a good showing in his 3 or 4 start stint while Buchholz is down, Lackey is put on the DL for some needed rest of his elbow.  Could even see a couple of missed starts by Beckett and Lester (by design) so that they will be that much fresher come October.  Hence the real value to having Wakefiled on the roster, for all those who thought he was wasting a spot a younger and better arm should occupy.

And how painful was it to watch Wake's knuckleballs today?  He will have his bad games, but when he has it moving like it did today, it is as much fun to watch as the guy who blows them away with 98 MPH fastballs, IMO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and he works quickly. I like these short games.
    15 runs today but in only 2:37.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I hadn't thought about that, but yes.  It is fun to watch him just get up there and throw.  No staring down, shaking off the catcher and taking forever to get situated.  Bet the fielders love it, too. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

FOUND SOFTY  ........

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

Hehehe.  Nice one Yaz.  Good to see Wake doing so well.  I've supported him a long time (actually here, I just can't get my old account to freaking work these days).  Glad to see softy taking a LoA as well.  Sooo glad.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 6/20/2011
    Here's a closer look at how Wake's runs were let up. It shows his ERA and record could be much better...

IP   H  ER  BB
    1) 5/1 vs Sea    5.2  3   1   1
    2) 5/6 vs MN     4.1  9   6   4 (2 days after a relief game)
    3) 5/22 v Cubs  6.2  4   1   4 (11 days off after a relief game)
    4) 5/27 @ Det   7.0   5   2   2
    5) 6/1 vs CWS  6.0   7   4   1
    6) 6/8 @ NYY    5.1   5   5   3 (Short notice on 7 days rest)
    7) 6/14 @ TB     7.0   4   1   5
    8) 6/19 v Mil     8.0   3   3   1

Total as a starter: 50 IP 40 H  23 ER  17 BB
    4.14 ERA    1.14 WHIP

Game 1: Wake had a shutout going into the 6th with 2 outs. He lets up a line drive single, but Tito takes him out. Jenks procedds to let his run score and 1 more and the game is tied: Wake gets a no decision. Sox win in the 9th.

Game 2: No excuses. Wake got crushed, but Tito left him in for 9 hits and 4 Bbs in just 4.1 IP. He had Aceves in the pen, and he could have used him earlier. Here's how the runs scored: HR (solo). BB />Inf single /> Line drive single /> 2 outs /> Ground ball single /> Balk (2 runs not exactly well earned by the Twins).  Solo HR. 5th inning: BB> Ground ball single> Out> single to short LF> Deep Dbl> Wake replaced. Aceves lets Wakes run in.

Game 3: 6 shut out innings then a ground ball 2B and a deep dble (1 run scored) Bard keeps Wake's run from scoring. We win.

Game 4: 1st inning, Ground ball single />SB />2 flyouts />groundball single (Kind of a cheap run). Solo HR in 2nd. Wake shuts the Tigers down until releived in the 8th. Sox win.

Game 5: Sox up 3-0 into the 4th, then the CWS deep single /> passed Ball /> Fly Out />  HBP /> K /> Bloop Dbl down LF line (maybe a cheap run). 5th inning: BB> Bloop single > GO > SB> Ground out (run scores) Groundball Dbl (tied score- kind of a cheap run). 6th inning: Solo HR. Papi ties it, but Albers later gets the loss.

Game 6: (Short notice start) 3 shut out innings then a Solo HR in the 4th by ARod. Wake trips over runner to end the 4th. The Yankee 5th: BB /> PB /> single (run) /> Dbl over Jacoby's head (Bad angle taken by Ellsbury, but not sure if he could have caught it anyways) /> Ground out /> Sac Fly to shallow LF (Weak armed CC makes a weak/bad throw) Cheap run(s)? Maybe.  Yankee 6th inning: HBP> Flyout> BB and Wake gets yanked (rightfully so IMO) Aceves did a great job in relief to help Wake get the win, but he did allow 2 singles to let Wake's runner score.

Game 7: 4 1/3 scoreless ball before a HR down the line. Another run scores on 2 BBs and 2 passed balls (unearned).

Game 8: 2 bad pitches for solid HRs. Only 3 hits and 1 BB over 8 IP.

Judge for yourself, but I think many of Wake's "earned" runs allowed
    as a starter this year, have been on the "cheap side". He could easily be 5-2
    and with some or a lot of luck have let up 5-9 runs less. Had this happened, Wake's ERA could have been about 2.50 to 3.00.

Sox Starters:
    ERA
    Beckett  1.86
    Buch      3.48
    Lest       3.70
    Wake    4.14
    Acev     4.50
    Dice      4.95
    Lack     7.02

WHIP
    Beck   0.924
    Wake  1.140
    Lest    1.274
    Buch   1.294
    Dice    1.404
    Acev   1.438
    Lack   1.559

Moon,

Another one of your superb posts.  We can always count on you for illumination.

The two shortly after aren't bad either.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, we do agree that there is no question the Sox made life very difficult on Tim going back to the start of 2010 ST. We really don't know if the yo-yoing affected him from a focus standpoint. He really had no idea when he was going to throw pretty much when Dice-K came back to the rotation last year. The yo-yo occurred. And really the yo-yo continued until...Dice-K left the rotation this year due to injury. But in essence, it's what happened when Lackey was signed. The moment he was signed, Wakefield became designated the "6th" starter or the "insurance policy."

I still wonder what would have happened had Lackey not been signed. In other words, would Wakefield eventually been a hot streak last year, something that never happened for him in 2010, save for a few memorable starts (Philly). I don't like the Wakefield instead of Lackey comparison or trade-off because I realize what John can do for the team, which is throw a lot of innings. Dice-K did throw some tremendous starts, but so few and far between that we all now have to do a 20-20 hindsight on his use.

It's better to not put Tim as an odd man out, but either use a 6-man when it is the right part of the schedule or realize someone is going to get hurt enough to go on 15-day DL (Clay, Lester, Beckett, Lackey).....I still think if you look at the whole thing, it's interesting that since the back surgery, I don't think Tim has hit the DL. If he was "hurt," he sure didn't admit to it.