Sox should DFA Wakefield

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox should DFA Wakefield

And, imagine if Wake let up an HR to Hudson and all those runners to a "weak hitting team".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: Sox should DFA Wakefield:
    [QUOTE]Right about now I think we all agree we are lucky to have Aceves, Miller, and Wakefield on the roster.  Any can spot start one, two, or a few games and give the Sox some breating room while injuries crop up. Who's going back to the pen?  What a great problem to have.
    Posted by chuchos[/QUOTE]

Chucos,
      I don't know who sought our Aceves, but I'm glad he/they did.  He's not "Yanqui" material because, in part, he's a little too free spirited. Miller we can give credit to Tito, he lobbied for him.  Wake precedes all ... heck, he laid the corner stone for Fenway....

You ARE right, we are fortunate to have them all.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wouldn't even be surprised if by the end of the year someone other than these 3 get a start or two (Wake, Aceves & Miller). I hope not, unless it's after we clinch, but the way our pitchers are dropping like flies this year, you never know...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

First: 9/27/2005
    Last: 6/22/2011
    I wouldn't even be surprised if by the end of the year someone other than these 3 get a start or two (Wake, Aceves & Miller). I hope not, unless it's after we clinch, but the way our pitchers are dropping like flies this year, you never know...

Moon,

I had a tantalizing moment in the thunder and lightning on the way home from the donut shop ...

I rode head near handlebars so to keep a low profile ...

Thankfully avoided all that lightning, but I did feel an almost electric sense around me.  As I focused on it, a dry old, cigar scented voice crackled inthe ether...

It was none other than the drifting spirit of George Hermann Ruth! He's
    been drifting around trying to figure out a way to make up for all agush he caused

...said if we need him, his arm is still as good as ever ....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just DFA his old butt..I mean hes had a 5+ ERA since what...09"? Softy said so....Did that clown get banned again?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

He had to wait for a loss ... so he'd have some fresh sodder ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I've been a supported of Wake for a long time.  Was living the town over from his hometown when he had success with the Pirates, then went to the Sox.  Couldn't help getting caught up in the fever.  Even I sometimes though feel a little shacky these days when Wake is on the mound.  I know he will throw remarkably well 2 out of 3 times, but I can still get a bit o' the shakes.  I agree with the last few guys though.  He is the depth we need and he does his job. You honestly cannot ask for more from a back of the rotation guy.  He pitches like a some teams' 3 or 4 (maybe even their two) spot guy.  I wish however people would stop with the burn the witch treatment of him.  I had happily retired from here, but seeing some of the hate and vitriol Wake and Ells (among others) get brought me back form the occasional lurking.

Oh....
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox should DFA Wakefield : Thx Hankuk ..  Hey, auntie married a Kuckuk .... same background?  (French Canadian/Inuit) I think the Bar has rescinded Softy's privileges .... to post.  :oD
    Posted by SinceYaz[/QUOTE]

Not quite Wink Hankuk (pronounced Hahn-g(or K)ook) is just the Korean word for Korea.  Been living here 5 years, prolly be here 5 more, thought since I couldn't resurrect my old ID, I would do something a bit more up to date.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Ahhhhhhhhh.

Thanks 

I can almost see my younger son looking at me in surprise that I didn't know that ...

He taught himself Japanese ... 

But I have a fairly extensive grasp on Far Eastern history ... so I am a little red faced ...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

I wouldn't worry about that.  The Korean language kind of flies under the radar, it's just not one of the big ones here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon,

I had a tantalizing moment in the thunder and lightning on the way home from the donut shop ...

I rode head near handlebars so to keep a low profile ...

Thankfully avoided all that lightning, but I did feel an almost electric sense around me.  As I focused on it, a dry old, cigar scented voice crackled inthe ether...

It was none other than the drifting spirit of George Hermann Ruth! He's
    been drifting around trying to figure out a way to make up for all agush he caused

...said if we need him, his arm is still as good as ever ....

Great post, as always, Yaz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I've been a supported of Wake for a long time.  Was living the town over from his hometown when he had success with the Pirates, then went to the Sox.  Couldn't help getting caught up in the fever.  Even I sometimes though feel a little shacky these days when Wake is on the mound.  I know he will throw remarkably well 2 out of 3 times, but I can still get a bit o' the shakes. 

Yes, but the point is, most 3-4 starters in MLB and sever #1s and #2s only do well 2 of 3 times, but for some reason, a few posters overemphasize Wake's poor outings and act like he has more than his fair share. (I am not saying you do this, Hank.)

I agree with the last few guys though.  He is the depth we need and he does his job. You honestly cannot ask for more from a back of the rotation guy.  He pitches like a some teams' 3 or 4 (maybe even their two) spot guy.  I wish however people would stop with the burn the witch treatment of him.  I had happily retired from here, but seeing some of the hate and vitriol Wake and Ells (among others) get brought me back form the occasional lurking.

Most of that hate and vitriol has been spurred on by one clown who would rather keep up the bashing than admit these two are doing better than he expected.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HankukSox. Show HankukSox's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, but the point is, most 3-4 starters in MLB and sever #1s and #2s only do well 2 of 3 times, but for some reason, a few posters overemphasize Wake's poor outings and act like he has more than his fair share. (I am not saying you do this, Hank.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yeah.  I was more just trying to state; even being a supporter I can understand why some people are uneasy with him.  But he simply does his job.  And he does his job so fast as well too.  On a personal level, that makes his games extra great because I actually get to watch the whole game before work.  ^^

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Tim turned 41 in 2007, but has put up better than career numbers since the start of 2007.

If ou take the top 150 pitchers by IP since 2007, it takes a minimum of 360 IP to make the list. Wake has had 703 IP since 2007.

One crude way of measuring a pitchers slot value is by looking at it like this:
    1-30: average #1 starter in MLB the last 5 years.
    31-60: average #2 starter.
    61-90: average #3 starter.
    91-120: avg #4 starter.
    121-150: avg #5 starter.

He is tied for 47th place in WHIP (1.30) with these guys:
    Rich Harden, Randy Wolf, John Lackey, Carl Pavano, Matt Garza, and Joel Piniero.
    He's just 0.01 away from: Jimenez, CJ Wilson, Wandy Rod, Hughes, and Floyd.
    He's just 0.04 from Lester's 1.26 WHIP.
    He's ahead of these guys:
    Lowe, Danks, Dempster, E. Santana, Joba, Gallardo, Billingsley, Washburn, Happ, Buchholtz, Burnett, Zambrano, Lohse, Liriano, Pettitte, Dice-K (1.40) and Garland. 

He's 93rd in tERA at 4.58 just ahead of Harang, E. Jackson, G. Floyd,  and Happ. He's 117th in regular ERA.

He's 76th in WAR (8.0).
    He's 60th in BA against (.251)
    He's 51st in IP with 703.
    He's 48th in Wins at 46.
    He's 72nd in BB/9 at 2.94.
    He's 106th in HR/9 which kills his FIP numbers.

If you look at just ERA, he looks like a bottom tier 4th starter in MLB, but almost all the other numbers show him to be about a bottom #2 to top #3 average starter in MLB. Now, of corse the Sox expect better than average to win, so he has been labelled our #4-6 starter for these last 5 years.

It's absurd to me how some clowns think we can just pick up anyone off the scrap heap that can be a better #6 guy than Wake has and can be.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No. 5 guy the way Lackey is heading

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You mean number 4?

Miller and Aceves fight for number 5.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

well, i'm assuming the sox will be proactive in acquiring another SP

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]well, i'm assuming the sox will be proactive in acquiring another SP
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]I tend to doubt that. The market is going to be thin and expensive. It will be the hands they brought to the dance IMHO.

Think about this, who in the farm system do they have to induce a team to give them a pitcher better than what they have right now?

Inglesias with his .200 something BA and MLB contract? Reddick and his .234 AAA BA? Kalish on the DL?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

five, i wouldn't be surprised if certain No. 5 type guys are available out there or even No. 3 or No. 4s...Look at the Dodgers, they aren't exactly going to be spendthrift when it comes to unloading a pitcher. Give them draft picks, cash, whatever works.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Can't trade draft picks, but some team might take far-away prospects.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

I agree with the author of this thread. The Sox should DFA Tim Wastefield.

Wastefield has been paid over 50 million dollars to throw the goofball. He hasn't had an ERA under 4 since 2002.

Wastefield's career post season ERA 6.75  WHIP 1.472

His ERA since the last half of 2009 is over 5.

His current ERA is 4.26, which is so good that Miller, Doubrant, Aceves, Bowden and Wally couldn't possible have taken those innings and topped that brilliance in all those starts.

Wastefield is currently on a pace to pitch less innings than he has in any season since 1992. I wish they would pitch him more to expose his lack of fitness to warrant an active roster spot, in addititon to increasing the sample and expose the 5 plus ERA profile that is the essence of this waddling old duck. 

Wastefield is one of those pitchers that if facing a top team in a playoff or playoff late season race tipping point game, there is a guarantee he would get lit up. His goofball is like a spark near a gasoline tank. 

He doesn't look like he belongs out there because he doesn't belong out there. Bill Hall looked better in his small sample as a pitcher.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You lost me at Wastefield softy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from betterredthandead. Show betterredthandead's posts

You lost me at Wakefield, Moonslow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Oh, and I thought you were banned again soft one..same ol' drivel I see..Must be killing you that Wake and Ells are doing so good this year ( its not even an argument, but go ahead and knock yourself out. It gives us all a good laugh AT YOU)  and theres not a stat that you can skew or a goalpost you can move to change it...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I want to DFA this thread.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

I alway said wake wouldn't last in this league.