Sox Should Not Trade Prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Sox Should Not Trade Prospects

This season is what it is. Unfortunately, the Sox have suffered a ton of injuries to their pitching staff. Without a healthy Clay Buchholtz, the Sox are toast, no matter who they might acquire through trade. If they can add a decent relief pitcher for a song, fine. Otherwise, they are much better off holding onto their prospects, and making due with what they have.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Sox Should Not Trade Prospects

In response to TexasPat's comment:

This season is what it is. Unfortunately, the Sox have suffered a ton of injuries to their pitching staff. Without a healthy Clay Buchholtz, the Sox are toast, no matter who they might acquire through trade. If they can add a decent relief pitcher for a song, fine. Otherwise, they are much better off holding onto their prospects, and making due with what they have.

Agree, however I would move Middlebrooks in the right deal in a heartbeat !!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

You would be selling very low on him, unless you could find a GM that sees the potential and is willing to pay for that value.

Probably best to keep him while hes still cheap and see if he can improve.

In the end, it always depends on the players involved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Who would you guys want in return for Middlebrooks? Despite his woes this season, I'd hate to see him go. He had such a promising start in the Bigs last year...and the Sox need a third basemen, unless they plan to play Bogaerts there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Can we trade some fans instead? Wink

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Who would you guys want in return for Middlebrooks? Despite his woes this season, I'd hate to see him go. He had such a promising start in the Bigs last year...and the Sox need a third basemen, unless they plan to play Bogaerts there.

Id like them to work with Middy and at least bring his value up. They would be selling extremely low on him and I just dont think its worth it IMO.

We have WMB, Bogey, and Cecchini who can all play on the team at either 1b/3b/LF. I wouldnt trade any of them right now.

Unless you were offered the Moon, then maybe one of them. But it would have to be a "blow you out of the water" type deal. I dont see that happening.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

we'll miss you...Tongue Out

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:

Dont come here starting trouble...MFY fansSealed

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

J-Lo :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

LOL!

Bastid...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

How is the team with the most wins in baseball toast? They lost 3 relievers and already replaced one. Is it unreasonable to pick one decent arm? The team has gone too far to not give its player a far chance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

If, by "This season is what it is," you mean that we have the best record in the AL and should be thinking about how to go deep into October, then I agree. The Red Sox have kept on winning in June and July without Buchholz, and the rest of the rotation has held up well (especially if Lester can build on his strong start last time and turn a corner), so I disagree that we should just stand pat in his absence. We're in a legitimate pennant race for the first time in 2 years and I would like to see this team go for it while still keeping their core of prospects intact.

I'd say absolutely no Bogaerts, no Bradley, no Cecchini/Webster/Owens if you can possibly avoid it...but if you had to include someone like Ranaudo as part of a deal for a Jake Peavy (just an example - I have no idea what Chicago's asking price is), I think you pull the trigger.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

If, by "This season is what it is," you mean that we have the best record in the AL and should be thinking about how to go deep into October, then I agree. The Red Sox have kept on winning in June and July without Buchholz, and the rest of the rotation has held up well (especially if Lester can build on his strong start last time and turn a corner), so I disagree that we should just stand pat in his absence. We're in a legitimate pennant race for the first time in 2 years and I would like to see this team go for it while still keeping their core of prospects intact.

I'd say absolutely no Bogaerts, no Bradley, no Cecchini/Webster/Owens if you can possibly avoid it...but if you had to include someone like Ranaudo as part of a deal for a Jake Peavy (just an example - I have no idea what Chicago's asking price is), I think you pull the trigger.

I think they have a group of prospects marked "untouchable" and a group that can be had for the right return, but it will have to make sense for the short, and longer term outlook.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Middlebrooks is still young and is similar to Chris Davis when he played for the Rangers. Napoli isn't the long term answer at 1B. Middlebrooks could fill that spot if given the chance.

Here's how I see the Red Sox infield in a couple of years (next year?)...

1B Middlebrooks

2B Pedroia

SS/3B Bogaerts

3B/SS Inglesias

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

I agree to an extent. I would not trade Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Cecchini, Rubby, Webster, JBJ, etc. Unless we are getting back a long term asset, I would not trade the top prospects. 

However, the Sox are facing a roster crunch for the 40-man this coming season. So I would be open to moving some of our lesser, yet still valuable prospects (de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, Butler etc)

Talk of Middlebrooks for Peavy is laughable. If we are targeting White Sox pitchers because they are selling/Nieves familiarity with them...then ask if they want to swap Sale for Middlebrooks. A nice, fair, young for young trade. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I agree that the Sox should hold onto their prospects, but I have thought this all along.  The team is going through a rough patch, against some opponents who happen to be red hot.  It happens to even the best teams.

IMO, the Sox are still very much in contention, but even with my opinion, I am not for trading top prospects to try to add a "key" piece.

A couple more moves like the one for Thornton or like the Yankees just made for Soriano is what I think Ben should do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

Totally agree, unless some team makes you a ridiculous offer sit tight, 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

I agree to an extent. I would not trade Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, Cecchini, Rubby, Webster, JBJ, etc. Unless we are getting back a long term asset, I would not trade the top prospects. 

However, the Sox are facing a roster crunch for the 40-man this coming season. So I would be open to moving some of our lesser, yet still valuable prospects (de la Cruz, Hazelbaker, Butler etc)

Talk of Middlebrooks for Peavy is laughable. If we are targeting White Sox pitchers because they are selling/Nieves familiarity with them...then ask if they want to swap Sale for Middlebrooks. A nice, fair, young for young trade. 

Do you seriously think all it would take to get Sale is Middlebrooks? Chicago would laugh in our faces.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to Archer1's comment:

you would swap Sale for Middy but you won't trade Jacoby for 2 all-stars in Hunter Pence and Mike Cuddyer? for shaaame.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to xdrive's comment:

Totally agree, unless some team makes you a ridiculous offer sit tight, 

Let's hope that Sox management doesn't panic.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

it all depends who we can get....i would trade prospects..but for who..if we can get lee...you damned right i would..peavy i would but for who?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

I agree 110%! If Breakholtz decides he wants to pitch and does so effectively despite his pain we could still make the playoffs. If not, there is not a single reasonably priced game changing pitcher out there for us to get. I refuse to blame injuries; they happen to everyone. Without Breakholtz we are not likely to even make the playoffs, let alone go deep into them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There are certain prospects I dont move at all. There are a few that I move for the right deal that make a lot of sense for the Now and the future. I dont like the high risk deals like Jake Peavy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

There are certain prospects I dont move at all. There are a few that I move for the right deal that make a lot of sense for the Now and the future. I dont like the high risk deals like Jake Peavy.

i understand what you are saying...but for me..i think peavy would help this team so much..on and off...solid club house guy also..i don't know maybe it's just me...but i always liked the guy solid pither.

Sections
Shortcuts