Sox Should Not Trade Prospects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Re: Sox Should Not Trade Prospects

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to TexasPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

you don't think trading for Ervin Santana and Hochevar puts us over the top??

RESPONSE: No, I don't. Will acquiring them make the Sox better? Possibly. But, there's no way that acquiring these two pitchers puts the Sox over the top. This team lacks the ace starter that a championship team must have, lacks a dependable closer, lacks bullpen depth, and badly needs a righthanded power bat in the middle of it's line-up.

E Santana is signed through 2013 (perfect), had an ERA a shade over 3 (perfect), a WHIP a shade over 1 (perfect), and an ERA+ of 133 (perfect). Hochevar has an ERA of 1.89 and WHIP UNDER .900!!

A rotation of Doobie, Lackey, Santana and Buch/Lester could take us far in the PS. Right now there are two guys in our rotation who are pitching like aces this season. The requirement for a ring isn't that you have a true ace on your team. You just need A pitcher on your staff to get hot and pitch like an ace during the PS. Easier said than done but i think Doobie and Lackey could lead us on a deep run right now. throw buch into the mix with Santana as a #4 and that rotation looks VERY strong. Allah help our opposition if Lester turns the corner too..... Hochevar helps anchor our BP along with Uehara, Taz and Breslow. I'm not worried about the offense because there is nothing to worry about. They might pick up an extra bat at the deadline just so all of their bases are covered but i definitely don't think they make a play for a power bat.

If the sox made a deal for Santana and Hochevar i think that would put us way over the top. It Fills out 2 biggest needs  with proven MLB talent. in exchange for a prospect who frankly has been disappointing (see below)

That would probably cost us Ranaudo and another mid level prospect like De La Torre. I'd make that trade in a heartbeat

RESPONSE: Aren't you assuming quite a bit, here? In any event, here's some scouting reports on Ranaudo:

Yeah it is an assumption. They could give up more or less but this is just my view of what i would give up to bolster our team and make the push.

A huge beast of a pitcher, the six foot eight Anthony Ranaudo is one of many premium righthanded arms from the 2010 Amateur Draft. The LSU alum works with a mid-90's fastball on an (obviously) downward plane, mixing in an average curve and changeup that will have to improve before he's MLB-worthy. There are still some concerns with his mechanics, as is often the case with tall pitchers, and his slightly jerky delivery worries a few scouts. Despite those concerns, though, Ranaudo is a pitcher with significant upside who should be worth the XL risk the Sox took on him./2013

http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2689 

The bottom line here my friend, is why trade such a prospect for mediocre stop-gap talent, that's not good enough to get this team over the hump?      

I'm not very high on Ranaudo. He has good upside but has been a pretty big disappointment since he moved up to high A ball. Granted, he's also been injured since then so a little benefit of the doubt is needed. But still, the pitching down on the farm is stacked. Not all of them are going to be productive ML'ers. Gotta try and figure out who's a future bust and sell high on them. This is the perfect time to do that with Ranaudo. Who i think will flame out. At the end of the day you're still giving up unproven talent for established ML'ers. Whether you agree or not that Santana/Hochevar would put us over the top at the very least they make us better and improve our chances at making a run. So i'll say it again. I make that deal yesterday!

RESPONSE: I've read that Ranaudo is having a break-out season in Portland. That said, getting those two veteran pitchers should make the Sox better. But, does the acquisition of these guys make the Sox better than the Rays, and/or the Detroit Tigers? If not, them why risk a good prospect to acquire such stop-gap, mediocre talent...that will not lead to the team winning the AL East, or the AL championship?

have you looked at how well they are pitching this season? our team is already very very good and they would only make us better by plugging our two biggest holes.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

If that's how you see it then i guess we're done here. The banter was nice while it lasted.

before i depart let me just say this:

The rays are not going to play .900 baseball the rest of the season. dont forget that until 3 days ago they were looking up at us in the standings (over 100 games too!) and have been playing way over their head the past 2 weeks. The Rays will come back down to earth. and detroit?? we're already a  better team overall than them. they need BP help twice as much as we do and possibly another starter

Even if Buchholtz comes back strong, which 4 starters would you bet on come playoff time?

Detroit: Verlander, Scherzer, A Sanchez, Fister/Porcello

TBR: Price, Moore, Hellickson, Archer/Cobb

Boston: Buch, Lackey, Lester, Doubront/Dempster

Sox4ever

Amen. Besides a healthy Buchholz, the Sox need to shore up their bullpen, and acquire a  righthanded power hitter to better combat lefthanded starting pitching.   

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

How do team numbers shape up when not in the comfort of the home park?

TBR  28-23

BOS  28-24

TEX  27-24

OAK  29-27

DET  27-26

Runs scored:

BOS  261

OAK  256

DET  248

TBR  240

TEX  211

OBP

BOS  .339

DET  .326

TBR  .323

OAK  .322

TEX  .311

SLG

DET  .419

TBR   .417

BOS   .412

TEX   .405

OAK  .398

OPS

BOS   .751

DET   .745

TBR   .740

OAK   .720

TEX   .716

Pitching & Defense:

Runs Allowed on the road/ERs Allowed

DET   201/189

TBR   207/189

BOS   216/203

TEX   220/202

OAK  220/203

WHIP

OAK  1.21

DET   1.22

TBR   1.25

TEX   1.29

BOS   1.39

ERA

DET   3.58

OAK   3.81

TBR    3.84

TEX   3.99

BOS   3.99

xFIP

DET  3.30

TEX  3.77

TBR  3.87

BOS  3.99

OAK  4.12

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

RESPONSE: No, I don't. Will acquiring them make the Sox better? Possibly. But, there's no way that acquiring these two pitchers puts the Sox over the top. This team lacks the ace starter that a championship team must have, lacks a dependable closer, lacks bullpen depth, and badly needs a righthanded power bat in the middle of it's line-up.

Context is needed.

What do other AL contenders lack?

Detroit lacks a closer worse than us. They have the middle order power duo, but have serious holes in the rest of their line-up. They have a catcher with an OPS under .600. They have a LF'er just barely over .650 and two other guys (CF and DH) under .733. Look at these numbers:

OPS by position

.626  C

.704  2B

.719  LF

.725  DH

.727  CF

.797  SS

.808  RF

.809  1B

1.113 3B

They also have this by batting slot:

1) .331 OBP/.725 OPS

2) .357 OBP/.823

3) 1.076 OPS

4) .799

5) .719

6) .745

7) .764

8) .671

9) .689

I'll take the balanced line-up over a 2 man show.

Here's the Sox numbers by position:

.666 3B 

.719  RF

.734  SS

.736  C

.780  CF

.783  LF

.789  2B

.853  1B

.975  DH

Detroit has 6 positions under .730: we have 2.

Sox by batting slot:

1) .363 OBP/.787 OPS

2) .335 OBP/.735 OPS

3) .776 OPS

4) .970 OPS

5) .766

6) .815

7) .787

8) .691

9) .701

The only 2 slots the Tigers beat us in OPS is the 2 and 3 slots. We are better in the other 7. We are clearly more balanced than the tigers on offense.

Home/Away

BOS .815/.751 OPS  .064 differential

DET  .822/.745 OPS  .077 differential

Vs RH's SP/vs LH'd SP (overall)

BOS .791/.764  (.815/.714)  

DET  .781/.783 (.784/.774) Detroit is more balanced in this area.

The Rays are pretty balanced, but worse in 3 of 4 areas on offense:

H/A OPS .762/.740

R/L OPS .739/.778

They have more blackholes than Boston.

Position:

.660  C

.677  SS

.722  DH

.758  LF

.762  CF

.766  2B

.772  RF

.830  3B

.832  1B

By Batting slot:

1) .327 OBP/.750 OPS

2) .358/.802

3) .701 OPS (This is a huge hole for a 3 hitter slot)

4) .882

5) .802

6) .644 (Very bad for #6)

7) .761

8) .672

9) .730

TBR have 3 blackhole batting slots, but do beat us at more slots (2, 5 & 9) than Detroit does.

The A's have huge holes as well.

We may be able to plug some of our holes without losing top prospects:

Trade rule 5 borderline prospects for pen help.

Hope Gomes, Victorino, Papi and Napoli improve their numbers vs LHPs.

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The truth is the top AL teams are very close in comparisons. Some are weak in places that others are strong. Basically I dont give anyone an advantage in a 7 game series because I think any of the top teams can beat the others on any given night.

If Lackey and Doubie pitch with an ERA under 3 like they have and the Sox powerful offense does its job, they can beat any one of these teams. Even Demp has his great games as well as Lester. With Buch coming back I have no worries that this rotation can win a WS. Maybe Im in the minority, but its my opinion and what I believe. They need bullpen help.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The truth is the top AL teams are very close in comparisons. Some are weak in places that others are strong. Basically I dont give anyone an advantage in a 7 game series because I think any of the top teams can beat the others on any given night.

If Lackey and Doubie pitch with an ERA under 3 like they have and the Sox powerful offense does its job, they can beat any one of these teams. Even Demp has his great games as well as Lester. With Buch coming back I have no worries that this rotation can win a WS. Maybe Im in the minority, but its my opinion and what I believe. They need bullpen help.

I agree, but when it comes down to projecting a winner, you look mostly at home field and who is starting for each team. While I think any of our starters can win a big game, I would not bet on the Sox SP'ers over Detroit or Tampa Bay.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: Respectfully disagree. Both the Tigers and Ray have better starting pitching than the Sox. The Rays also have a better bullpen, and a comparable offense. The Tigers offensively are better than the Sox.

If Lackey and Doubie pitch with an ERA under 3 like they have and the Sox powerful offense does its job, they can beat any one of these teams.

RESPONSE: Sure...and if Carl Yastrzemski returns to the Sox line-up and starts hitting asnd fielding like he did in 1967, the Sox have it made. But, what are the odds of these things happening? Furthermore, the Sox' "powerful offense" has been impotent against left-handed pitching. 

Even Demp has his great games as well as Lester. With Buch coming back I have no worries that this rotation can win a WS. Maybe Im in the minority, but its my opinion and what I believe. They need bullpen help.

RESPONSE: If Buchholz can return to form, and the Sox can continue to play better than expected, as they have all season, the Sox will have a shot. Nonetheless, I would be extremely reluctant to trade valuable prospects away for marginal relief pitching, when Buchholz's fate is yet unknown, knowing that Lackey, Douby, and Demps will be only marginal starters at best, and with the offense continuing to struggle against lefty starters. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

RESPONSE: I've read that Ranaudo is having a break-out season in Portland. That said, getting those two veteran pitchers should make the Sox better. But, does the acquisition of these guys make the Sox better than the Rays, and/or the Detroit Tigers? If not, them why risk a good prospect to acquire such stop-gap, mediocre talent...that will not lead to the team winning the AL East, or the AL championship?

have you looked at how well they are pitching this season? our team is already very very good and they would only make us better by plugging our two biggest holes.

RESPONSE: I have. But frankly, without a healthy Buchholz, I don't see these guys making a big enough difference. 

[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

I agree, but when it comes down to projecting a winner, you look mostly at home field and who is starting for each team. While I think any of our starters can win a big game, I would not bet on the Sox SP'ers over Detroit or Tampa Bay.

[/QUOTE]

The sequence is important - I think we've seen Farrell adjust the rotation a couple of times to "sacrifice" a game (Workman keeps matching up against #1s) in order to set up better matchups going forward.  If the matchup is Dempster vs Verlander, Buch vs Scherzer, Lester vs Sanchez, Lackey vs Fister/Porcello, I like our chances.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The sequence is important - I think we've seen Farrell adjust the rotation a couple of times to "sacrifice" a game (Workman keeps matching up against #1s) in order to set up better matchups going forward.  If the matchup is

Dempster vs Verlander  Detroit

Buch vs Scherzer  Detroit/Boston Tie

Lester vs Sanchez Detroit

Lackey vs Fister/Porcello  Boston

I like our chances.

I like Detroit's chances.

3 of Detroits starters are better than all of ours, except a heaalthy Buch, in which case it might be a draw.

Who would Vegas have favorites in this series?

@ Det  Verlander/Buch?  Detroit

@ Det Scherzer/Lester? Detroit

@ Bos A Sanchez/Lackey? Even

@ Bos Fister/Doub? Boston

@Det Verlander/Buch? Detoit

Could be Detroit 4-1 as favorites.

Sox4ever

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The sequence is important - I think we've seen Farrell adjust the rotation a couple of times to "sacrifice" a game (Workman keeps matching up against #1s) in order to set up better matchups going forward.  If the matchup is

I like our chances.

3 of Detroits starters are better than all of ours, except a heaalthy Buch, in which case it might be a draw.

Sox4ever

you do know that verlander has an ERA of 4 this season right? his velocity is way down to 92-94 also. Not very scared of him this season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

I like our chances.

Sox4ever

you do know that verlander has an ERA of 4 this season right? his velocity is way down to 92-94 also. Not very scared of him this season.

[/QUOTE]

If Lester keeps trending the way he is and Buch returns along with lackey and Doubie pitching like they are, i respectfully disagree with those that disagree with me. They have just as good a chance against TB or Detroit.

Verlander is having a down year and Sanchez just came back off the DL for a shoulder issue.

Id worry more about TB, but weve already won the season series this year and have proved we can beat Price or Moore. its 50/50 with them IMO. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I like our chances.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

If Lester keeps trending the way he is and Buch returns along with lackey and Doubie pitching like they are, i respectfully disagree with those that disagree with me. They have just as good a chance against TB or Detroit.

Verlander is having a down year and Sanchez just came back off the DL for a shoulder issue.

Id worry more about TB, but weve already won the season series this year and have proved we can beat Price or Moore. its 50/50 with them IMO. 

[/QUOTE]

I'd say it's 50/50 with Detroit, and a little better against Tampa Bay.  We have the better offense and bullpen.  If we can win the division, and force TB to burn Price or Moore once in the playin game, it's a huge advantage.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to slomag's comment:

I'd say it's 50/50 with Detroit, and a little better against Tampa Bay.  We have the better offense and bullpen.  If we can win the division, and force TB to burn Price or Moore once in the playin game, it's a huge advantage. 

Tampa appears to be a more troublesome obstacle for the Sox than the Tigers. The Rays match up well against the Sox...and have been a thorn in their side for years. Should the Sox get by Tampa, I like their chances of upsetting the Tigers.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, I know Verlander has struggled this year.

Yes, I fear him more than any of our starters.

Sox4ever

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm talking about just the starting pitchers. I believe our offense is better and more balanced than Detroit or TB. To me, when playoff time comes, the 4 man rotation becomes the most important factor in determining who will win.

Yes, the "ifs" you mentioned may occur, but so could the "if" that Buch never comes back or Lester goes back into a funk at the wrong time.

One can state several "ifs" about the Tigers and Rays too.

I'll stick with my position that the Tigers and Rays look to have a better starting 4 than us right now and if Buch and everyone is healthy on all teams as well.

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Depends which Lester we get.  If we get the good Lester, we have the edge on both clubs.  This year, put your money on Buch over Verlander.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Depends which Lester we get.  If we get the good Lester, we have the edge on both clubs.  This year, put your money on Buch over Verlander.

Couldn't one also say the same about "which Verlander we get" or "which Sanchez we get"?

Based on what we have right now, Detroit and Tampa have the better 4. If we want to assume everyone is healthy and on their games, then let's be fair and assume that Verlander, Sanchez, Price and everyone is healthy and on top of their games too. 

Yes, Lester is doing well now, but does that mean we have to say Lackey cannot be trusted due to recent struggles? Of course not. 

My guess is that if all these guys are healthy, they will all give it their best, and with no disrespect to our starting rotation, I think the Rays and Tigers top 4 are better. 

That does not mean we have no chance to win. Our offense is better and more balanced. We have a better closer than the Tigers. It's going to be a close call when any of these 3 face each other, and maybe even the A's and Rangers can win a series too.

It may come down to who improves the most over the next 2 months from within or via trade(s). All teams have struggling players that can turn it around and boost their teams to favorite status. I like our chances as much as anyoine else's, but the starting 4 of the Tigers and Rays scare me.

We may only need a few of these things to happen:

Buchholz returns to form and stays healthy.

Victorino & Gomes start hitting lefties like they have in recent years.

Napoli finds a 3 month groove.

Salty & Iggy do not fade.

Ellsbury continues to improve or comes close to 2011 form.

Nava, Carp, and others keep contributing.

Uehara, Tazawa and Breslow continue doing well.

A couple pitchers from this group make a significant contribution: Thornton, Britton, Workman, Wilson, Morales, Webster, de la Torre, Beato, DLR or someone else.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Even if Lester reemerges and Buccholz return I'd like to see John Lackey get some rest...he's obviously tiring down.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox4ever

Picking the 2013 version of Verlander vs the 2013 version of Buchholtz is illogical. The numbers simply aren't even close.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

Picking the 2013 version of Verlander vs the 2013 version of Buchholtz is illogical. The numbers simply aren't even close.

[/QUOTE]

exactly. Verlander has had bad years in the past and he's due for another one. This is it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox4ever

exactly. Verlander has had bad years in the past and he's due for another one. This is it.

The obvious problem is that Buchholtz is not pitching and won't be pitching any time soon, if at all this year. I will believe he will be back when I see him on the mound starting a game. So they have Verlander and we have............Lackey? Not sure I like that matchup as much.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Oh yeah that's the "obvious problem" if Buchholz has nostructural damage then there is no reason to assume he isn't pitching again this year.  If you think he isn't then you either assume they are covering up an injury or he's going to get injured again.

If we make it to the playoffs are you going to be like that Indians fan in "Major League II" and start telling us how we will blow it.

We all know this team has problems and uncertaintys, but so does everyone else and any playoff team is often good enough to win it all if they get hot.

STOP BEING A DONNY DOWNER!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox4ever

1) You are assuming Buch will return to form after missing a lot of starts.

2) You are assuming Buch will be healthy come playoff time.

3) You are assuming Verlander will not regain his form.

Of course, if they both pitch like they have, when healthy, this year, I'd take Buch over Verlander. The numbers are not close, but I do see one guy still taking the mound every 5 days, and the other is not.

Also, if the first playoff game of the series is at Detroit, my guess is Vegas will have Verlander favored over Buch... if that is the match-up and both are healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

Context is needed.

What do other AL contenders lack?

Detroit lacks a closer worse than us. They have the middle order power duo, but have serious holes in the rest of their line-up. They have a catcher with an OPS under .600. They have a LF'er just barely over .650 and two other guys (CF and DH) under .733. Look at these numbers:

OPS by position

.626  C

.704  2B

.719  LF

.725  DH

.727  CF

.797  SS

.808  RF

.809  1B

1.113 3B

They also have this by batting slot:

1) .331 OBP/.725 OPS

2) .357 OBP/.823

3) 1.076 OPS

4) .799

5) .719

6) .745

7) .764

8) .671

9) .689

I'll take the balanced line-up over a 2 man show.

Here's the Sox numbers by position:

.666 3B 

.719  RF

.734  SS

.736  C

.780  CF

.783  LF

.789  2B

.853  1B

.975  DH

Detroit has 6 positions under .730: we have 2.

Sox by batting slot:

1) .363 OBP/.787 OPS

2) .335 OBP/.735 OPS

3) .776 OPS

4) .970 OPS

5) .766

6) .815

7) .787

8) .691

9) .701

The only 2 slots the Tigers beat us in OPS is the 2 and 3 slots. We are better in the other 7. We are clearly more balanced than the tigers on offense.

Home/Away

BOS .815/.751 OPS  .064 differential

DET  .822/.745 OPS  .077 differential

Vs RH's SP/vs LH'd SP (overall)

BOS .791/.764  (.815/.714)  

DET  .781/.783 (.784/.774) Detroit is more balanced in this area.

The Rays are pretty balanced, but worse in 3 of 4 areas on offense:

H/A OPS .762/.740

R/L OPS .739/.778

They have more blackholes than Boston.

Position:

.660  C

.677  SS

.722  DH

.758  LF

.762  CF

.766  2B

.772  RF

.830  3B

.832  1B

By Batting slot:

1) .327 OBP/.750 OPS

2) .358/.802

3) .701 OPS (This is a huge hole for a 3 hitter slot)

4) .882

5) .802

6) .644 (Very bad for #6)

7) .761

8) .672

9) .730

TBR have 3 blackhole batting slots, but do beat us at more slots (2, 5 & 9) than Detroit does.

The A's have huge holes as well.

We may be able to plug some of our holes without losing top prospects:

Trade rule 5 borderline prospects for pen help.

Hope Gomes, Victorino, Papi and Napoli improve their numbers vs LHPs.

Sox4ever

the Tigers may be losing Peralta for the season which puts another big hole into their offense and makes their lineup even more lopsided.