Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract

It'll be interesting what his annual salary could be..I think he wouldnt make quite that much for his arb years, but certainly could make that the last 3-4 years of the deal

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

doesnt he have 2 more years of arbitration?

if not, then yes sign him. watever it takes. he brings life and energy to the game like few others.

batting over .300 likely to have 20 HRs by the end of the season and 50 steals.

yes absolutely. SIGN HIM. He is BETTER than Johny Damon ever was.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]Never going to happen, and that's a good thing. Theo's long term replacement for Bellsbury is 142M in Crawford.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Ellsbury grabs the back of Softy's neck and rubs his nose in it again.  I love it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

...but we are subjected to the stench.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]Never going to happen, and that's a good thing. Theo's long term replacement for Bellsbury is 142M in Crawford.

Hey idiot, too bad everybody disagrees with you. Wish we could trade you to another city that needs a fan that knows nothing about baseball.

Hetchinspete.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

Bellsbury saved our bacon tonight. Time to get a new act.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]...but we are subjected to the stench.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]

That's because Ellsbury cracked Law into two separate perosnalities, and all the innards came pouring out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

"Jake" is getting dangerously close to a .900+ OPS.

The corner softy painted himself into is now a square inch, and he's on one toe balancing like a silly clown on a tricycle.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yeah, he was young and inexperienced and his career slg% is rising faster than you ever expected.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Now Softy is drinking lots of wine...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Crawford is now experienced. <burp />

I was talking about Ellsbury's early years effecting his "career norm". 

You can't grasp the concept of prime years. You say "sell high", but Ellsbury is outgunning your projections by a long shot. Had we dealt Jake when you wanted, some other team would be enjoying his prime years, while we can only hope what we got in return does close to what he is giving us this year and will give us for his 2 top prime seasons (2012-2013). 

Crawford is already an experienced poor hitter vs LHPs and a poor leadoff hitter. Something you can't grasp. You want this guy to take over Jake's slot. I know you love career norms:

Career .334 OBP
    Career .309 OBP vs LHPs (.684 OPS)
    Career .319 OBP in the leadoff slot.

You want to trade a near .900 OPS guy with a great leadoff OBP who has 2.3 years of control at dirt cheap prices for a guy with a .961 OPS (.829 career) who has 1.3 years of control at a nice, but more costly amount. On top of that, you want to "throw in" 3-4 prospects. 

Who's the wino?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Oh, no. Boras is Ellsbury's agent? Yikes.

When is that guy, who I believe really only thinks of himself in negotiations (see Jason Werth), going to retire?

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Players retire.
    Agents and media hacks live forever.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : That's because Ellsbury cracked Law into two separate perosnalities, and all the innards came pouring out.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Fkn A.
    Bullseye - meet arrow!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]You don't get it. Ellsbury isn't "a 900 OPS" talent. But v. LHP he certainly isn't. You ignore the AGon factor. Kemp is a career .942 OPS v. LHP. I think Kemp is younger than Ellsbury. Put down your crack pipe. Ellsbury is not 2011 career average talent, anymore than Crawford was 2010.

Just because Ellsbury went to college and missed a chance to grow in the bigs at an earlier age, does not mean at age 28, he is done improving and is doomed to career norms through his prime.

Yes, Kemps is younger by about a year, but he only has 1.3 years of control, so they both are in their prime. 

Kemp is an .829 career OPS guy, right?

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Kemp: career  vs. RH pitching: .789 OPS  .270 BA.
    in the retirement league.

JAKE: career vs. RH pitching:  .793 OPS  .297 BA.
    in the A.L. East.

Over 60% of all pitchers are RH.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $

2012$5,000,000  ARB 2
    2013$10,000,000  ARB 3
    2014$12,500,000  yr 1 
    2015$15,000,000  yr 2
    2016$15,000,000  yr 3
    2017$17,500,000  yr 4

Total
    $75,000,000 

6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60

+ any perk he wants like a No Trade

I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA

And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned.....

Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm.....

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $ 2012 $5,000,000   ARB 2 2013 $10,000,000   ARB 3 2014 $12,500,000   yr 1   2015 $15,000,000   yr 2 2016 $15,000,000   yr 3 2017 $17,500,000   yr 4 Total $75,000,000         6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60   + any perk he wants like a No Trade I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned..... Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

It all looks good except his next arb year..IMO I think he would get more than 5mil in 2012 if he went to arb after the year hes having..I think if you gave 10mil for both arb years, that would be enough. still only 80mil for what he brings to the table...IMO, it looks like a deal I would do AM..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]Theo is clearly interested in signing Ellsbury longterm. Ellsbury would become a member of the $100 million club with a 6 year, $102 million with an average annual salary of 17 million a season (which would start in the 2012 season). Being part of the 100 million club is an important recogntion for some players, so that could be enticing. Not quite as high as the Crawford contract, but Ellsbury has less MLB service term and still has 2 arbitration elligible seasons.  Hope Boras would make an exception and agree to a contract extension with the Red Sox for Jacoby. What are your thoughts?
    Posted by redsox0426[/QUOTE]

The only reason Ells hasn't been signed is Boras.  I just hope Jacoby doesn't fall into the same trap Jason did with Boras thinking he may get more than hes worth by waiting.  Anything could happen between now and free agency that could hurt Jacobys chances of getting less than we offer.