Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract

In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : The only reason Ells hasn't been signed is Boras.  I just hope Jacoby doesn't fall into the same trap Jason did with Boras thinking he may get more than hes worth by waiting.  Anything could happen between now and free agency that could hurt Jacobys chances of getting less than we offer.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

Thats my only fear too craze...Boras..now I know that the player does have the final say no matter who his agent is..I think if Ells was given a contract like the one AM suggested, he would be a fool not to take it..Its very fair and will set him up for his lifetime in Boston..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : Thats my only fear too craze...Boras..now I know that the player does have the final say no matter who his agent is..I think if Ells was given a contract like the one AM suggested, he would be a fool not to take it..Its very fair and will set him up for his lifetime in Boston..
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Different strokes for different folks southpaw.  Nobody really knows yet if Jacoby is a Youk/Pede, or ARod/Tex type personality.  I agree Ells would be smart not to accept that type of offer because anything can happen before he hits the market.  Ells plays the game hard and could easily be injured again at some point.

I would hate to see Ells traded because of "high demands" but it could happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract:
    [QUOTE]Theo is clearly interested in signing Ellsbury longterm. Ellsbury would become a member of the $100 million club with a 6 year, $102 million with an average annual salary of 17 million a season (which would start in the 2012 season). Being part of the 100 million club is an important recogntion for some players, so that could be enticing. Not quite as high as the Crawford contract, but Ellsbury has less MLB service term and still has 2 arbitration elligible seasons.  Hope Boras would make an exception and agree to a contract extension with the Red Sox for Jacoby. What are your thoughts?
    Posted by redsox0426[/QUOTE]
    Your bean counting needs to leave more room for an every day right fielder.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : That's because Ellsbury cracked Law into two separate perosnalities, and all the innards came pouring out.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]
    maybe 3 or the last 5 nights.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]Players retire. Agents and media hacks live forever.
    Posted by harness[/QUOTE]
    so true. why give up all that cashola?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $ 2012 $5,000,000   ARB 2 2013 $10,000,000   ARB 3 2014 $12,500,000   yr 1   2015 $15,000,000   yr 2 2016 $15,000,000   yr 3 2017 $17,500,000   yr 4 Total $75,000,000         6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60   + any perk he wants like a No Trade I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned..... Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

that works both ways, eventually teams learn there lessons. Also there are a LOT of players entering the market looking for big contracts (Kemp,Pujols,Fielder,Reyes,Granderson,Upton, Matt Cain, Greinke, Hamels, Santana, Shields) possibly even Sabathia next year and 2013.  If teams haven't learned their lessons by seeing the Sox with lackey/Crawford and Werth/Nationals, Wells/Toronto etc etc, then many more are going to learn their lessons as well.  I know there are always going to be GM's dumb enough and even willing to overpay but inevitably every team is going to have a 100 mil + payroll or 3-4 teams are going to have 200 mil + mega payrolls if this trend continues with all these players, I don't see that happening.

I'm sure the long term trend will continue, as it does with every facet of society and our economy, but I see inflation of players salaries slowing down for at least a little while in coming years. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Ellsbury got thrown under the bus big time last year by Sox management, the media and many fans with his rib injury.  He may tell them to take a flying leap and head out to the West Coast.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]You don't get it. Ellsbury isn't "a 900 OPS" talent. But v. LHP he certainly isn't. You ignore the AGon factor. Kemp is a career .942 OPS v. LHP. I think Kemp is younger than Ellsbury. Put down your crack pipe. Ellsbury is not 2011 career average talent, anymore than Crawford was 2010.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Isn't kind of a waste to compare a RH's OPS v. LHP to a LH's OPS v. LHP?  Most players tha bat LH have worse OPS compared to vs. RHP.  The majority of pitchers are RHP, so that is a smaller sample and therefore not as crucial.

THis OPS vs. LHP obsession is ridiculous.  Give it a rest.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]This is what I try and temp Jacoby w/ and hope he goes for the guaranteed $ 2012 $5,000,000   ARB 2 2013 $10,000,000   ARB 3 2014 $12,500,000   yr 1   2015 $15,000,000   yr 2 2016 $15,000,000   yr 3 2017 $17,500,000   yr 4 Total $75,000,000         6 years/75 million or in FA 4/60   + any perk he wants like a No Trade I'd also remind him that he'll still be only 32 next time he enters FA And I'd remind Boras that no one is going to want to get stuck w/ a Werth or Crawford type contract; mistake learned..... Also, this is more than the contracts handed out to Youk, Lester, Pedey, and Buck.........BTW, it'd be nice to also lock up Paps and Bard and to a much lesser deal, Salty....then, instead of having to dip in the FA market every year which is pricey and risky, round out the roster from your farm.....
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

No chance he settles for $15M a year for 4 FA years.  I would be looking for something like:

2012: $7M
    2013: $12M
    2014: $18M
    2015: $18M
    2016 (club option): $20M, $2M buyout.

Total of 4 years $57M, potentially 5 years $75M.  Ells reaches FA while he's still young and the Sox satisfy their club policy of at least 1 club option.  For the record, I don't believe this seal would get it done, but I wouldn't go beyond this offer at this point in time.

I'm not eager to lock Ells up to a huge deal based on just 1 great season, especially when he's under team control the next 2 years anyway.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

[QUOTE]Kemp: career  vs. RH pitching: .789 OPS  .270 BA. in the retirement league. JAKE: career vs. RH pitching:  .793 OPS  .297 BA. in the A.L. East. Over 60% of all pitchers are RH.

Thanks for the comparison.  Puts things into a perspective, doesn't it?

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

[QUOTE]You don't get it. Ellsbury isn't "a 900 OPS" talent. But v. LHP he certainly isn't. You ignore the AGon factor. Kemp is a career .942 OPS v. LHP. I think Kemp is younger than Ellsbury. Put down your crack pipe. Ellsbury is not 2011 career average talent, anymore than Crawford was 2010.
    Posted by billbyboy[/QUOTE]

Please define. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : Isn't kind of a waste to compare a RH's OPS v. LHP to a LH's OPS v. LHP?  Most players tha bat LH have worse OPS compared to vs. RHP.  The majority of pitchers are RHP, so that is a smaller sample and therefore not as crucial. THis OPS vs. LHP obsession is ridiculous.  Give it a rest.
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]

Exactly!  Its the last stat Softy has in his bag of tricks!  And he'll cling to it like grim death.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox should sign Jacoby Ellsbury to 6 year/ $102 million contract : Your bean counting needs to leave more room for an every day right fielder.
    Posted by Bralon[/QUOTE]

Until reddick gives you a reason, he should and has earned the RF position IMO..There ios no reason to think he cant be a 280+ hitter in MLB with 20+ hr and a good OPS..Hes an above average defender too. Red has done it all throughout the minors and now with his last adjustment to pitch recognition and selection, hes now putting it all together.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]Kemp: career  vs. RH pitching: .789 OPS  .270 BA. in the retirement league. JAKE: career vs. RH pitching:  .793 OPS  .297 BA. in the A.L. East. Over 60% of all pitchers are RH.

harness, billyboy softlaw has been humiliated over and over, starting when he made racist comments about Ells in 2008

he then continued by saying that Crisp was better than Ellsbury

WRONG

Then that he would not improve beyond 2008 #'s

WRONG

Then Cameron was better

WRONG

Then it was that Ellsbury 'had to' be in the AGon trade

WRONG

Then Crawford should 'only' leadoff and ellsbury hit 9th

WRONG

Now its some pie in the sky demand for Kemp to be here, Ells the all-star to be traded for him and skewed cherry picked stats on both players and more hateful drivel

Sure, Kemp would be great as our RFer.... but not with Ellsbury swapped out...

Billyboy Softy has been exposed, is a liar, flip-flopper and TERRIBLE person, he is NOT a fan and is hated and reviled here for many reasons

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I agree with the OP.  You'd have to think that if the Sox could buy out Ells' two arb years and tack on 2-3 add'l years at slightly less than fair market value (to account for the fact that they effectively control Ells until 2014), then maybe Ells would take a short term extension and take his chances at 32 or 33 y.o. at FA. 

I think Boras would budge a) if Ellsbury wants to be here in Boston and b) if the numbers are right, which could be tricky since guys like Wells, Beltran, and Hunter set the bar high for CFs ($17 to 18 mil AAV for all). (I wrongly or rightfully excluded Werth and Crawford, two non-CFs.)       

So what's JE's FMV?  Beltran, Wells and Hunter are all at $18 mil AAV.  Factor in that the Sox could be looking at hefty arbitration raises (expected outlay of $18 mil the next two years for Ells, at $8 and 10 mil respectively).  So for the next two years, the Sox commit $18 mil to buy out arb years and tack on three years at $18, 18.5 and 19 mil for $18.5 mil.  Total AAV of $14.7 or so, but he'll have a chance at another contract.  

All told, the Sox could offer a 5 year, $73.5 mil offer for Ells, which would pay him near market value after two pretty good arb buyout years.  I'd even tack on a 6th year to bring the whole contract to 6 and $93 mil.

Strike while the iron is hot.  The Sox should at least explore the opportunity to lock up Ells.  They helped to set the bar for outfielders, and ironically Ellsbury looks to be a better player than Crawford.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This would be a smart move for everyone involved.  The Sox can even throw in the "hometown discount" angle that they may have paid Youk and Pedey (and those two took) less than market value to keep the team intact and those two also took the money to give themselves security and allow the team some latitude in signing other players. 

It'll all depend on how greedy Borass is and how much influence he has over JE.  Personally I hope JE had a long heart-to-heart talk with Jason Veritek about how much Borass's greed has brought to Veritek's life. 

Don't kid yourself.  Borass's big contracts aren't about the players.  They're about Borass.  Do the math.  A 10% (hypothetically) agent's cut of a $10MM contract is how much?  Now, a 10% agent's cut of a $20MM contract is how much? 

Scott Borass is not a benevolent organization.  He's in this solely for his commission. Veritek learned this the hard way and I hope he gets to impart his knowledge to JE before it's too late.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

The Sox have a few more years to extend Ellsbury.  You can be certain that Theo will attempt a Pedroia/Lester/Buchholz-type deal at the end of the season.  I'd expect Boras to keep him away from signing.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I hope Ellsbury does the right thing - for us and for him - and takes a guaranteed 75 million dollar deal - it'd be more than Pedey, Youk, Lester, Buck, Beckett.........I also hope that if he takes it that more Sox fans embrace him - it doesn't seem as though he gets the love some of the other guys get.....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

That figure might work. Ellsbury will get at most $20M over the next two years combined (arbitration), so this would imply about $20M/year for his free agency years.

Boras might not like it, but Ellsbury has the final say. If Ellsbury stays healthy and continues to play well, he WILL end up with a bigger deal than this in two years. But $100M provides an awful lot of personal security for a player whose career could end on the next play.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wadeandrson. Show wadeandrson's posts

Pay the man! Jake is worth every penny of the proposed 100mil contract, and probably more if he continues to play like he has this season.