Sox should trade w/Phils for Lee and Young

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Sox should trade w/Phils for Lee and Young

That would be a start, we need a good starting pitcher and a couple of major league hitters.  Phils don't look to be going anywhere, and Young can hit and plays all infield positions so can take Ciriaco's role; he can play a lot at third if Middlebrooks continues to non-hit.  We could use a good outfield stick too with some thunder.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox should trade w/Phils for Lee and Young

It's not a good fit. Philly will want prospects, and Lee + Young will not bring us a ring this year, so what's the purpose of trading our future for these two guys?

We should have traded Ellsbury while the draft pick was attached. Now, all we get is the pick and nothing else.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Lee is owed 50 million

Young gets hurt tying his shoes.

That's not true, Young has averaged over 150 games per season over his career.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

That would be a start, we need a good starting pitcher and a couple of major league hitters.  Phils don't look to be going anywhere, and Young can hit and plays all infied positions so can take Ciriaco's role; he can play a lot at third if Middlebrooks continues to non-hit.  We could use a good outfield stick too with some thunder.

OK you got the guys you want what are you giving up???? Iggy, Bradley, Brentz, WHO ARE YOU GIVING UP????????

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

That would be a start, we need a good starting pitcher and a couple of major league hitters.  Phils don't look to be going anywhere, and Young can hit and plays all infied positions so can take Ciriaco's role; he can play a lot at third if Middlebrooks continues to non-hit.  We could use a good outfield stick too with some thunder.

OK you got the guys you want what are you giving up???? Iggy, Bradley, Brentz, WHO ARE YOU GIVING UP????????

BTW you have to fill their needs not get rid of guys who you do not want....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

It's not a good fit. Philly will want prospects, and Lee + Young will not bring us a ring this year, so what's the purpose of trading our future for these two guys?

We should have traded Ellsbury while the draft pick was attached. Now, all we get is the pick and nothing else.

Would you stand pat then Moon for this season?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

thats not  what he said...who are you willing to give up?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Lee? Too old, too much money, not enough left in the tank. That would be a panic move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

I didn't say that that is what he said?  I'm curious what Moon would do, I respect his opinion and learn from him.  Standing pat is certainly a valid option.

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Hard to improve through trades.  The other GMs are not fools. There is always the chance that you will get the worst of the deal. We have a number of good young prospects. Keep them. The occasional free agent to fill a need is okay.  But to trade young prospects for mediocrities or even good older players is often going to backfire.  Let's face it , our player evaluation is not the greatest. Bring in enough mediocre players and you will have a mediocre team. With one of the highest payrolls to boot.  I think we are seeing that. We had a very good team in 2011 , but , for whatever reason , they collapsed in the stretch. We have been trying to correct that ever since. But the fact is , we have only gotten worse. It will not be corrected through desperation trades at this point. We will probably only get fleeced. Be smart.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

I don't think it's desperate.  Sounds like you'd stand pat then, lot to be said for that approach, I guess that's what I'm trying to sound out, that and other trade suggestions. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

no and no, we dont need to get older. we need players who are going into their primes, not on the tail end of them. stanton is the guy we need, hopefully he get healthy before the deadline so we can take a run at him. our 2 big needs are a top of the rotation starter and a middle of the order bat. stanton would be a great bat, but we would still need a pitcher, though maybe webster or de la rosa emerges out of the minors. who knows. maybe we will even see boegarts this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I didn't say that that is what he said?  I'm curious what Moon would do, I respect his opinion and learn from him.  Standing pat is certainly a valid option.

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

Why would the Phillies want any of those guys? Where would the limited Salty play? C? (They have a very good one) 1B? (Ditto) Why would they want those other guys? This shall never happen, unless the Phillies decide they're not contenders (and that won't be soon), and you're willing to dangle some luscious prospects.

While Lee would help, I wouldn't even know who Young would play over. He can't play anywhere but 1B or DH at this point. Would he play over Napoli, one of the RS best players? 

When you offer a trade scenario (almost always a waste of time here), you have to project what the other team needs and wants,  how they view their ability to contend now, and be objective regarding the short & long term abilities (which includes how they would fit in the new team) of all the players involved..

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah, we do need a middle of the order bat w/power, but you'd have to give up a lot of good prospects to get Stanton, and there was a thread on that, but who would you be willing to part w/to get him?  Or, what about standing pat and waiting for free agency, any big bats coming up in free agency after this season?  It's going to be interesting how all this plays out over the next two months, and the direction it all goes depends on how well or poorly the sox play over that time.  But some of our young guys have been pretty disappointing, namely Middlebrooks and Doubront, the vets and older guys have been playing pretty well or well enough.  I personally have more confidence in some of the younger guys in the system on their way up than I ever had in Middlebrooks and Doubront.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

Why would the Phillies want any of those guys? Where would the limited Salty play? C? (They have a very good one) 1B? (Ditto) Why would they want those other guys? This shall never happen, unless the Phillies decide they're not contenders (and that won't be soon), and you're willing to dangle some luscious prospects.

While Lee would help, I wouldn't even know who Young would play over. He can't play anywhere but 1B or DH at this point. Would he play over Napoli, one of the RS best players? 

When you offer a trade scenario (almost always a waste of time here), you have to project what the other team needs and wants,  how they view their ability to contend now, and be objective regarding the short & long term abilities of all the players involved..

Who is this Phillies very good catcher?  Ruiz is hitting .170 and Kratz .200.

Young is the Phils 3rd baseman right now, and can play all infield positions, he's hitting .3oo as usual.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

We may be able to package Ellsbury with other players to get someone worthwhile in return, someone who will help us in 2015. That should be our entire focus right now, now that it is apparent to more and more people what kind of team we have.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

When you offer a trade scenario (almost always a waste of time here), you have to project what the other team needs and wants,  how they view their ability to contend now, and be objective regarding the short & long term abilities of all the players involved..

Young is the Phils 3rd baseman right now, and can play all infield positions, he's hitting .3oo as usual.

I forgot Young still plays 3rd. However, you really want to compare Ruiz to Salty? Especially defensively? How about the fact he's  only played 11 games, and was all world (.325,.394., .935, 16 Hrs, All-Star, 5.2 WAR) next to Posey last yr? Clueless stuff.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Philadelphia catcher Carlos Ruiz posted a .325/.394/.540/.934 line last year with a team-high WAR* of 5.2.

Ruiz has played in only 11 games this season after serving a suspension.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

I forgot Young plays 3rd. However, you really want to compare Ruiz to Salty? Especially defensively? How about the fact he's been injured, has only played 11 games, and was all world (.325,.394., 935, All-Star) next to Posey last yr? Clueless stuff.

Thanks, I was clueless about Ruiz.  Thanks for cluing me in Cool.  Anyway, just fishing around for suggestions, just want another good starter and a couple dependable sticks.  Don't care if we trade Middlebrooks, Salty, Els, Doubront, but, with Doubront and Middlebrooks, their stock was higher before this season started than it is now, unfortunately.  Might still get something decent for Els and Salty, we have Bradley to replace Els eventually and we have solid catching depth too.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Who is this Phillies very good catcher?  Ruiz is hitting .170and Kratz .200.

Philadelphia catcher Carlos Ruiz posted a .325/.394/.540/.934 line last year with a team-high WAR* of 5.2.

Ruiz has played in only 11 games this season after serving a suspension.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

Yeah, thanks, I was ignorant of Ruiz and what he is all about.  I guess it's just wait and see for the next couple of months.  Just been feeling frustrated the past week and more, and wishing we had a couple of sticks and another quality pitcher.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Salty Ciriaco Doubront?

I forgot Young plays 3rd. However, you really want to compare Ruiz to Salty? Especially defensively? How about the fact he's been injured, has only played 11 games, and was all world (.325,.394., 935, All-Star) next to Posey last yr? Clueless stuff.

Thanks, I was clueless about Ruiz.  Thanks for cluing me in Cool.  Anyway, just fishing around for suggestions, just want another good starter and a couple dependable sticks.  Don't care if we trade Middlebrooks, Salty, Els, Doubront, but, with Doubront and Middlebrooks, their stock was higher before this season started than it is now, unfortunately.  Might still get something decent for Els and Salty, we have Bradley to replace Els eventually and we have solid catching depth too.

You're welcome. FWIW, provided his arm is sound, I still stink Doubront is a good looking young player. I could see him being good in a few yrs. However he may be out of options. Middlebrooks may be good too someday, but for him it may be a case of drinking the koolaid, & the 3 HR game probably hurt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No, I'd be a seller of short term contracts. I'd trade multiple prospects for one better one. We will be under the rule 5 gun soon and be losing good players unless we go for some quality over quantity really soon.

If we are still in it at the deadline, I wouldn't just hand players away for long shot prospects, but for good return I would trade almost anyone not in our longterm plans.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts