Sox should trade w/Phils for Lee and Young

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Sox should trade w/Phils for Lee and Young

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I'd trade multiple prospects for one better one

No one is going to trade two B prospects for one A prospect.

Do you mean that no team will trade one A prospect for two B prospects?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Why acquire Lee now? Why try to patchwork the 2013 team, to what end? You want Lee you get him in late July if we have a strong lead and are the cinderella team... not now.

I don't know, I'm frustrated lately with this team, because it's so close to being really pretty good.  Like the other day, Buch gives up two runs in 8 innings and they lose because they had risp 11 times and didn't come through once.  It seems like we get a lot of hits and score so few runs, and it's because a guy like Middlebrooks comes to the plate.  The team is already built with a bunch of older guys holding spots while the young guys develop in the minors so getting Lee and Young would continue that pattern and would be a big improvement over to me not very promising young guys such as Doubront and Middlebrooks.  I guess that was sort of my line of thinking, but didn't really think it out thoroughly only spoke up just to hear suggestions on how to improve on our present weak areas, and in general what to do next.  It's clear to me now that I need to wait to see how they play over the next two months and then the course of action will become clearer.  Just know we need a couple dependable hitters (at least one a power threat) and another solid SP to compete, and I like this team, think it can be really good, and want them to get back on track.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

How about 3 B prospects for 1 A prospect?

2 B prospects for 1 top B prospect?

1 low A prospect and a B prospect for a better A prospect?

You get my point. We need to dump some quantity and try and improve quality. We will be coming upon some serious 40 man roster issues next winter, so we could be proactive at the deadline or whenever and start setting ourselves up for a better 2015 and beyond.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You get my point. We need to dump some quantity and try and improve quality. We will be coming upon some serious 40 man roster issues next winter, so we could be proactive at the deadline or whenever and start setting ourselves up for a better 2015 and beyond.

Almost every team faces 40-man roster issues in the offseason. Those teams might be looking for a 2-for-1 trade for the same reasons.

The Sox players at the bottom of the 40-man roster and below are not appreciably better than those on most other teams. That's how the Red Sox could make room for Andrew Miller, Pedro Ciriaco, Alfredo Aceves and Mike Carp when their previous teams would not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

IMHO there has been no reasonable comment made here.

why would any GM give up a 1A for 3B players? You give up the 50/50 guy for 3 guys who might be 25/75. This GMis not.

you want Lee and Young yet complain about guys they picked up this past yr. and they got older. So now add more age???????

you say trade multiple prospects for a better one? What ones would you trade? Why would another GM trade a top prospect for your lower ones?  I would if I knew he was not as good as the experts thought he was? Would you trade Bradley for 3 Bs.....No..no..no

if anything come July if they are out of it you will see teams pay good prospects for Napoli, Victorino, Salty, Gomez, Jake, etc... Prospects is what will be needed not aging short term players.

give up none of the prospects.....which is what they did with the signings of last yr.

use the signings of last yr to get more prospects at the trade deadline...this is what I see them doing .

in 2014 they will have a team with a kid in LF, SS, RF, C, with DP, WM, SV, along with the left over payroll to sign a couple of good FA Pitchers 

They have a plan many here do not believe it and they also think their plan is better Even though they never got by HS baseball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

Lee is owed 50 million

Young gets hurt tying his shoes.

Ya know, this may be a 1st........  BILL-806 concurs with CONAN  !!!!  (MR. CONAN)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

That would be a start, we need a good starting pitcher and a couple of major league hitters.  Phils don't look to be going anywhere, and Young can hit and plays all infield positions so can take Ciriaco's role; he can play a lot at third if Middlebrooks continues to non-hit.  We could use a good outfield stick too with some thunder.

If we could dump Lackey on someone it may make Lee's contract at least something to consider.  As far as Young?  I personally think he would be a great fit if we could just pull off a deal for him.  The guy can play positions we lack solid back up in and hit a lot more consistently than the players presently playing there in most cases.

Middlebrooks has hit well recently but still swings at almost anything and I also wouldn't mind seeing Young playing 1B against certain pitchers.  I would welcome Young as I did Mark Loretta.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Middlebrooks has hit well recently but still swings at almost anything and I also wouldn't mind seeing Young playing 1B against certain pitchers.  I would welcome Young as I did Mark Loretta.

In 44 plate appearances over the past 14 days, Will Middlebrooks has posted a .214/.250/.333/.583 line with two runs, one RBI, no homeruns, 12 strikeouts, one walk and five errors.

I expect Middlebrooks to rebound to some degree, but I can't say he has hit well recently.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Middlebrooks has hit well recentlybut still swings at almost anything and I also wouldn't mind seeing Young playing 1B against certain pitchers.  I would welcome Young as I did Mark Loretta.

In 44 plate appearances over the past 14 days, Will Middlebrooks has posted a .214/.250/.333/.583 line with two runs, one RBI, no homeruns, 12 strikeouts, one walk and five errors.

I expect Middlebrooks to rebound to some degree, but I can't say he has hit well recently.

I meant the last couple of days hill.  Middy really lacks plate discipline like Salty so I have to agree.  I think Salty may decline and Middy raise his average a bit by years end but neither can lay off a bad pitch very often.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

To respond directly to your question, Mex, I'd stand pat.  At least for now. 

I see no large immediate needs in the pitching staff at least for now.  Our #1 & #2 are as good as anyone's 1 & 2.  Ouru #3 is dependent on how small a sample size one uses.  He was less than adequate in his last start but completely adequate for a #3 in the previous starts this year.  His career numbers make him a #3-#4.  The thing to factor in now is how good Lackey is going to be but I see him as being at worst another 3-4.  #5?  Well, let's not talk about #5, but lets also keep in mind that nobody has a great #5.  If they did he wouldn't be a #5.

OF - I was a big Ells supporter but now given his offensive woes I'm on the fence.  Especially with JBJ on the horizon.  If Ells fails to deliver offensively the rest of the year he becomes very expendable, moving JBJ into CF.  Vic is signed through next year (and the year after) and Nava looks good in LF.  If Ells produces and gets re-signed JBJ goes to right and Vic is expendable for prospects (although I DO like his arm in RF!)

IF - Bogarts is the "wild card" in all of this.  If he becomes the Bogarts we're hoping for he can probably command either 3B or SS depending on how Iggy progresses.  Or 1B if we stick with Middlebrooks @ 3B. 

Having JBJ, Bogarts and Iggy waiting in the wings while we see what they can do makes it way too early to be even considering trading away anyone now.  Besides, this team had a very good streak at the beginning of the year.  Maybe they're really that good and have hit a slump right now. 

I wouldn't do anything until the deadline.  By then we may have a better idea of which MiL's are going to be ready. 

And lets not forget that many of us were thinking .500 for this team this year while the "kids" mature, hoping for better years in '14 & '15.

"Being up to your butt in alligators makes it hard to remember that your prime objective was to drain the swamp".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yeah S5, you and some other guys on here are correct, let's see what happens in the next couple of months (started the thread out of frustration).  And then there's that Cecchini too, he's been impressive, and some promising young arms.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

I'm not sure standing pat is the answer.  Bradley, Bogy, Lav, Iggy, Barnes, Webster and others appear to have bright futures but how many actually will?  I would still make a few moves, this team can still win the AL East this season while we are waiting on some of the kids to develop. 

#1 If we could dump Lackey I would take a chance on Lee if the price was right.  Having Lee, Clay and Jon could be a huge advantage, especially if we can make the PS.

#2 Find a RHH OF better than Gomes because he is not our answer, especially for two years.  What do we do with him?  Not sure but we need a better hitter of the bench.

#3 Drop Ells to #8 and keep him there regardless, he just doesn't do the things needed from a lead off guy.

#4 I love the the M. Young idea "again" only if the price is right.   He one of those vets every team could use, especially since SS, 3B and 1B could use help against certain types of pitching.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Ben's strategy was to retain prospects, preserve draft picks, and overpay for short term free agents. My guess is that he won't abandon that strategy because of a team hitting slump. We have pitching prospects in deveopment in AAA and AA right now.

What appears to be a teams hitting slump could just be reality with the players struggling. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Almost every team faces 40-man roster issues in the offseason. Those teams might be looking for a 2-for-1 trade for the same reasons.

The Sox players at the bottom of the 40-man roster and below are not appreciably better than those on most other teams. That's how the Red Sox could make room for Andrew Miller, Pedro Ciriaco, Alfredo Aceves and Mike Carp when their previous teams would not.

They got those players for the 25 man roster. 

My guess is that several Sox players coming up to the rule 5 decision time are better than some players on other team's 40 man roster or not on their 40 man roster. 

I realize it is not easy to make 3 for 1 trades in the off season, but they are hardly rare. Another factor might be what position each player involved plays- who is blocked in 1 organization, but not the other. 

We do lose several players to free agency, so that will possibly open up some 40 man slots, but if we don't make some trades, we will lose some good talent to rule 5 or DFA.

FAs: Ellsbury, Drew, Hanrahan, Napoli, Salty.

We could also trade Dempster, Shane, Aceves, Bailey, Gomes, Breslow, Miller, Morales, Iggy or others.

Let me put it this way: say another team has an A prospect ranked maybe #100 or so, and we offer then a #130 and #160 at positions they need. You don't think they may not strongly consider a trade?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ben's strategy was to retain prospects, preserve draft picks, and overpay for short term free agents. My guess is that he won't abandon that strategy because of a team hitting slump. We have pitching prospects in deveopment in AAA and AA right now.

What appears to be a teams hitting slump could just be reality with the players struggling. 

Nearly all MLB teams goes through a batting / clutch hitting slump sometime during the season. It happens.

Wow! An actual 100% baseball post with no poster commentary attached!

Congrats of your first!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No one is going to trade an A rated prosepct for 3 B rated prospects.

How about a better but blocked A prospect for 2 lower A's in areas of need?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Middlebrooks has hit well recentlybut still swings at almost anything and I also wouldn't mind seeing Young playing 1B against certain pitchers.  I would welcome Young as I did Mark Loretta.

Hes saying he has swung the bat better ie: better pitches, going the other way. I dont think it was necessarily a result motivated post but the fact that he has looked better at the plate, which he has and which just numbers alone cant see.

I agree though that his "hit for the fences' attitude hasnt worked, and I think hes starting to realize that.