Sox Sign Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Sox Sign Drew

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They may as well just trade away Iglesias and Lavarnway, and give them a chance to start somewhere else. I think if i were part of the amatuer draft, there is no way I'd want to be drafted by the Sox. They keep their prospects held back, losing 3 to 4 years of production at the MLB level.

[/QUOTE]

Care to give some examples?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are really missing out on Iglesias's "production". 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Well there are numerous articles and stats to show just what a magical glove can do at SS. If there was ever a league or a team that could afford a lame hitting SS it would be Boston. We would benefit from a .225 hitting Wizard of Oz if you ask me. The other positional players need to tally the runs.

But I guess most of you want 3rd tier proven .260 hitting gloving SS types at the most crucial spot in the defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yep lets hold back the youth another year... or two (because all these old men the team are sighning will be here in 2014 to)......... then in 2015 we can see if Iggy or Lav or Bogarts are any good. That is a strategy of a loser organization.

86 years are on the way

[/QUOTE]

Hold back what?  .118?  The Youth held themselves back.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They may as well just trade away Iglesias and Lavarnway, and give them a chance to start somewhere else. I think if i were part of the amatuer draft, there is no way I'd want to be drafted by the Sox. They keep their prospects held back, losing 3 to 4 years of production at the MLB level.

[/QUOTE]

Care to give some examples?

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we are really missing out on Iglesias's "production". 

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure amateur players consider multi-millionaire, all star, WS winners like Youkilis, Pedroia, Papelbon, Lester etc. and run for the hills when the Red Sox knock on their door.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Yep lets hold back the youth another year... or two (because all these old men the team are sighning will be here in 2014 to)......... then in 2015 we can see if Iggy or Lav or Bogarts are any good. That is a strategy of a loser organization.

86 years are on the way

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A) It was their first stretch of true MLB game time

B) After what happened with the manager just how well was the working environment?

C) if you think this team is going to the play-offs then you might be happy with these moves, but I prefer the "Youth" gets some m ore experience.

So clowns are you better fans by applauding 31+ year old re-treads coming here with the hopes of contending (see .510 ball and 4th place finishes for your present)? Am I a terrible hater because I actually prefer a loosing season (when Necessary) to help integrate our youth and eventually trade/sign better players for 2014-15?

I guess I am a non-fan and the rest of you slobs are the "true fans".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Drew isa good signing and an over pay.....again. There is a definite pattern of overpaying for almost every signing we have made this winter....not my money and I know we have payrlll flexibility, but I wonder what the underlying cause is....are players wary of coming to Boston.....because of Management....Media?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

86 years are on the way

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A) It was theor first stretch of true MLB game time

B) After what happened with the manager just how well was the working environment?

C) if you think this team is going to the play-offs then you might be happy with these moves, but I prefer the "Youth" gets some m ore experience.

So clowns are you better fans by applauding 31+ year old re-treads coming here and being happy? Am I a terrible hater because I actually prefer a loosing season (when Necessary) to help integrate our youth and eventually trade/sign better players for 2014-15?

[/QUOTE]

It is a 1 year deal, it in no way stops moves for 2014/2015.  Giving Iglesias another year to improve at AAA is not "holding him back".

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Drew isa good signing and an over pay.....again. There is a definite pattern of overpaying for almost every signing we have made this winter....not my money and I know we have payrlll flexibility, but I wonder what the underlying cause is....are players wary of coming to Boston.....because of Management....Media?

[/QUOTE]

They are overpaying on a per year basis because they are short contracts.  Would you rather have Drew for 3/21?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

86 years are on the way

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A) It was their first stretch of true MLB game time

So clowns are you better fans by applauding 31+ year old re-treads coming here with the hopes of contending (see .510 ball and 4th place finishes for your present)? Am I a terrible hater because I actually prefer a loosing season (when Necessary) to help integrate our youth and eventually trade/sign better players for 2014-15?

[/QUOTE]

Easy Burrito, you haven't been drinking have you?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to carnie's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Prior to shattering his ankle in 2011 Drew posted OPSes of .875, .683, .836, .748 and .810. I'd take that offensive production from the SS position. He also looked very good in the field with Oakland last year. Oh, and he'll be playing for a contract. I like it.

[/QUOTE]

agree, i like this signing, hopefully he bouces back from the injury and returns to form.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I posted the answer somewhere else.  Demand exceeds supply this winter, we are paying a higher AAV to get shorter contracts, and we don't have to pay compensation for them so their agents are looking for more money.  Plus money is not a problem for the Sox so they are ok to slightly overpay for the above.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

This offseason the Red Sox have handed out Major League contracts* to eight players who will be at least 30 years old on Opening Day 2013: David Ortiz, Ryan Dempster, Mike Napoli, David Ross, Shane Victorino, Jonny Gomes, Stephen Drew and Koji Uehara.

That's eight roster slots on an aging team that keeps getting older.

* plus minor league contracts to 30-year-old Mitch Maier and Drew Sutton, who turns 30 in June

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They're overpaying so they can get short contracts.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

carnie ..... yes!  lol. Goodnight from PNH!

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Signing run of the mill veterans to short term contracts seems to be Cherington's way of doing things.  It flopped last year and I think it will flop again this year.  I don't think the money saved on the deal with L.A. is being spent wisely. Another last place finish looks probable.  I honestly don't see how so many on here continue to defend Ben.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Ok so all you nay sayers...........what is wrong with the group of Iggy, Ciracio, Middlebrooks, Pedroia and Drew handling 3rd, SS, and 2nd? This a very good defensive group. And 4 of them have proved they can hit.

As for the age issue the current team is an average of 30 which is exactly what both WS teams were. So drop the age issue it means nothing.

As for youth it is the right thing when it has a track record like Rice and Lynn did. Far too many come up early and fail.

yes you can look at Trout but that is the exception not the rule. Then what happens if he hits 225 this year was it a good move??????? Kids are a crap shthaw ith the chance to ruin them. Where as a 30 yr old with a track record won't get rattled like a rookie.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

And he still has all draft picks and the kids are being given time to learn.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Drew family OWNED the Red Sox again.   LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]

lol JBay yes we could....... Iggy is fine. this is a bull#crap team. IMO

[/QUOTE]

IDK, B, hard to say. I see it from both sides. I understand some posters frustration, but think BC is putting together a team, short term, addressing  clubhouse issues and waiting for prospects, to either develop or a better class of FA. Next years is said to be one of the best in a while. Bottom line is the pitching needs to step up. This was more than a one year reclamation project.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Decent insurance move, it's just a year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

One year contract, at a position where there is still a question mark, is a good move, IMO.

[/QUOTE]