In response to tom-uk's comment:
Trading Ortiz would have yielded what - probably a couple of second-tier prospects who might help in a couple of years or might never make the bigs. Nothing to get excited about, that's for sure.
Plus you have to make a concession to the fact that major league baseball is not just sport, it's entertainment. Re-signing Ortiz this year was a PR move, to make the team more enjoyable for the fans. Absolutely right.
You have to be more realistic in every way when you assess some of these moves.
Ok Hfx please answer a few questions.
1. Were the Mets realistic in holding on to Reyes, Pagan, Beltran, Rodriguez,...as long as they did?
2. Have the last four poor Mets' seasons provided entertainment?
3. Why do you think half a season of a DH with an OPS over 1.000 is only worth second rate prospects? or Why isn't the pick the Sox passed up valueable?
4. Why are posters ok with Ben's expectation that the current Sox prospects will provide a solid core in two years or so, if prospects like the ones Lester, Papi, and Ells would have yielded are not valued? You can't have it both ways, prospects are either valuable or not!
5. Why no mention of the new CBA and the increased importance of prospects by the supporter's of Ben's moves?
6. Why are posters called whiners who are in lock step with Vegas odds?
6 is too many questions, but here are my answers to some of them.
-I don't think comparing Ortiz to any of these Mets players is very useful. Ortiz is one of the most productive and popular players in Red Sox history. For proper comparisons you need to use guys like Derek Jeter and Chipper Jones IMO.
-Baltimore traded 2 prospects at last year's deadline for Jim Thome, a reasonable comp to Ortiz's deadline value last year. They acquired Gabriel Lino and Kyle Simon. One was a 4th round pick in 2011 and one was an international free agent. I honestly don't know enough about them but it looks to me like second tier prospects.
-As to 'having it both ways', I don't think that describes my position, but if you want to elaborate please do.
-As to the whiners/Vegas thing. I don't consider you a whiner. But I think what you've done is fall in love with your own personal scheme of what the team should do, as though you've thought of something they haven't, and you need to be a bit more objective and realistic.