Sox Sign Drew

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Re: Sox Sign Drew

I believe that the 2012 Oakland A's were not a fluke. 

Their rookie starting pitchers handled pressure very well.  All they did was win the AL West and push the Tigers to a decisive game five. 

Their pitchers will have more experience under their belt, Chris Young is an upgrade in their OF, and Cespedes and Reddick will carry the offense. 

So they are a well-balanced team with speed, defense and power.

Can anyone guess which team hit the most HRs in the second half in 2012? 

Watch out for Oakland in 2013. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

My point is that we have more talented hitters than Oak.  So if they can finish fourth in the AL so can we.  My main point is that we have a realistic shot at a WC berth in 2013.

You say the A's overachieved. I disagree. I think their offense is much better than many think they were (are), perhaps based on their overall stats.

The A's play in a huge park with a huge foul territory. If you look at their offense on the road, they finished 4th in MLB. FOURTH! This was done playing many more games than most teams in Seattle and LAA. That's over 50 more runs than the Sox did on the road. That's 10 more than the Rangers and Cards.

Yes, the A's have lost Gomes, Suzuki, Inge, Pennington and Drew, but they have added Nakajima (SS), Chris Young (OF), and Cespedes may grow into a bust-out year.

[/QUOTE]

Well sir, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend , to my death, your right to say it.

Cespedes is a stud.

[/QUOTE]

I nthink we have agreed more than disagreed over the years.

I am not so sure we even disagree so much on how good the Sox will be, but it is more about what we define as a legitimate chance at making or winning the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

If the Giants are 15:1 and the Sox are 30:1.  To throw away 2013 for 2014 is a 0 sum game*

*Assuming that it will only take one season to get the 2014 sox as good as the 2013 giants, which is a reach.

30:1 is only 1:1 to better than 15:1.   15:1 are good odds. 1:1 is a coin flip.

My point: it takes a lot to outweigh the cost of a thrown away season.  Especially in the new format when anyone can get in.  I also dont think that a lot is gained by throwing away a season.  Major league playing time, to me, is overrated.  I dont think that you can take any prospect, give him adequate service time, and he'll become an MLB regular.  I think that all prospects are individuals and the one's with elite talent will beome MLB regulars sooner or later.  I think prospect success is far more correlated w/ prospect talent than MLB playing time.

I also think that the prospects are better off in the minors where they can exclusively focus on getting better.  I dont think that gutting everything for prospects is the solution either.  1 thrown away year is a large cost.  To trade everything of value for the future is throwing away 3 years and a cost that is going to be nearly impossible to recoup over the prime years of the prospects you are trading for.

I think that you're better off doing what the sox did.  If they fall out of contention, they can always sell at the deadline.  The chance that one of: Napoli, Vic reverts to their career averages is pretty good.  if that happens, the player will have deadline trade value.  Teams are desperate at the deadline.

Even S.Drew.  If he's batting .260 , 9 HR w/avg D at the deadline, he will have trade value.

If we fall out of contention, then I am all for selling because this is probably the last year where we can expect Papi to mash.  Our last year w/ Ells.  Lester becomes much more expensive in 2014.  So if it comes time to concede 2013, Im all for selling and planning to 2015.  However, this is a huge cost.  And I dont think the 2013 team is awful enough to go with this option w/out even giving 2013 a shot.  Vic , Naps, and Dempster were all all-stars in their last healthy seasons.  Ells in a walk year.  De La Rosa, Webster, Lackey, Dempster have all been added as pitching options.  Team isnt terrible.

And if they prove me wrong, probably one of Naps, Vic, Drew will have trade valu at the deadline.  So will Ells.  SO will Ortiz.  Can always retool then.  WIN/WIN

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My plan had us better in 2013 than what we have now, and much better going forward. I know and realize that maybe some of my plan just could not happen, but my guess is that McCarthy would have taken $24M/3, J Upton could have been had, and we could have found a way to get Brett Anderson. 

I know these guys don't guarantee a better team, but in my opinion we'd be much better off than now. All 3 of these guys are at the start of their prime years and would be under control until after 2015. A couple role players here and there, maybe even a couple of Ben signings added to this and to me, we are clearly closer contenders in 2013 and much better positioned for 2014 and 2015.

Even a plan that included getting A Sanchez & McCarthy and then trading for Myers made more sense to me.

I think we have come about full circle. We should agree to disagree and root like H3ll for the Sox next year. It should be an interesting season, and I'd love nothing more than to have to apologize to Ben and this board for my pessimism and negativity.

I've been accused of being overly optimistic for several years now, so I have a gut feeling we may be even worse than I think.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

My plan had us better in 2013 than what we have now, and much better going forward. I know and realize that maybe some of my plan just could not happen, but my guess is that McCarthy would have taken $24M/3, J Upton could have been had, and we could have found a way to get Brett Anderson. 

I know these guys don't guarantee a better team, but in my opinion we'd be much better off than now. All 3 of these guys are at the start of their prime years and would be under control until after 2015. A couple role players here and there, maybe even a couple of Ben signings added to this and to me, we are clearly closer contenders in 2013 and much better positioned for 2014 and 2015.

Even a plan that included getting A Sanchez & McCarthy and then trading for Myers made more sense to me.

I think we have come about full circle. We should agree to disagree and root like H3ll for the Sox next year. It should be an interesting season, and I'd love nothing more than to have to apologize to Ben and this board for my pessimism and negativity.

I've been accused of being overly optimistic for several years now, so I have a gut feeling we may be even worse than I think.

[/QUOTE]

When are you going to admit that your "plan" was never reality?  Brett Anderson IS NOT AVAILABLE.  Not sure why you don't grasp that fact.  He's NOT AVAILABLE...Seriously...give it up...

Brandon McCarthy has a bum shoulder, got hit in the face with a line drive and doesn't like the east coast.  Stop posting the Sox "should've signed him."  There was zero interest, ZERO interest on either side, regardless of the money, terms, etc...This is becoming worse than your 200 "trade for the unavailable Gavin Floyd" posts from last year.

Lastly, have you read anything regarding Justin Upton?  At all???  The Sox don't...match...up...AT ALL...The Diamondbacks want a Major League ready shortstop, plus...never mind...you'll still post they "could've had him."  Again, you're "plan" is not reality.  I know you hate what the Sox Front Office has done so far, but either face "reality" or come up with a plan that isn't absolutely ridiculous...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When are you going to admit that your "plan" was never reality?  Brett Anderson IS NOT AVAILABLE.  Not sure why you don't grasp that fact.  He's NOT AVAILABLE...Seriously...give it up...

Brandon McCarthy has a bum shoulder, got hit in the face with a line drive and doesn't like the east coast.  Stop posting the Sox "should've signed him."  There was zero interest, ZERO interest on either side, regardless of the money, terms, etc...This is becoming worse than your 200 "trade for the unavailable Gavin Floyd" posts from last year.

Lastly, have you read anything regarding Justin Upton?  At all???  The Sox don't...match...up...AT ALL...The Diamondbacks want a Major League ready shortstop, plus...never mind...you'll still post they "could've had him."  Again, you're "plan" is not reality.  I know you hate what the Sox Front Office has done so far, but either face "reality" or come up with a plan that isn't absolutely ridiculous...

[/QUOTE]

to tell you the truth...i really like what the sox are doing..and i don't care what anybody thinks...just gotta see what is wrong with napoli..gotta get him signed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

to tell you the truth...i really like what the sox are doing..and i don't care what anybody thinks...just gotta see what is wrong with napoli..gotta get him signed.

[/QUOTE]

I like what they've done as well.  Plan "A" was flip Ellsbury for Cliff Lee and sign Hamilton for 4 years with protection.  The Phillies refused to trade Lee and the Angels ownership group overruled their baseball ops people and gave Hamilton a ridiculous contract.   They went to plan B, C, etc...The Sox Front Office isn't done yet, but the whiners have nothing better to do, so...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

.The Sox Front Office isn't done yet, but the whiners have nothing better to do, so...

[/QUOTE]

Please send some of your Kool-aid to Vegas

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

.The Sox Front Office isn't done yet, but the whiners have nothing better to do, so...

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

tom, guys like you that think they have figured out a much better plan and keep hammering away about it are the biggest Kool-aid drinkers of all.  The Kool-aid you drink makes you feel high on your own baseball intelligence.   

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

tom, guys like you that think they have figured out a much better plan and keep hammering away about it are the biggest Kool-aid drinkers of all.  The Kool-aid you drink makes you feel high on your own baseball intelligence.   

[/QUOTE]

Hfx, I respect your opinion and I think yourself, Beantowne, and Spaceman are the reason for the success of this board.  You wake up most mornings and comment on the posts of others, adding to the debate.

When Jasko used the term whiner I came back with Kool-aid.  I wouldn't consider myself or Moon as whiners in the Andrewbytch, Allibie, Bosoxfan1941,..mold.  We are both just disappointed with the direction of our club.   Theo, Henry, and co will long be gone and we will still be pulling for the Sox.

As to being drunk on my own intelligence, you can only debate in your own style.   791, 571, Notin, JoeB, and others are obviously brighter than Carfardo and Mazz, should they hide it?

When posters write that the FO knows more than the fans I worry.  I and many, many others thought BobbyV, Crawford, Lackey, Smoltz, Penny, Lugo,...were bad moves before a game was played!  I started a few OPs about Henry getting in over his head in buying Liverpool which so far has been a disaster. 

There is no reason for the average Sox fan to be obsequious to the current FO, their recent track record is poor.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

When are you going to admit that ben's plan will be a failure and is reality.

Every player in MLB is available at the right price- every player. Besides, B Anderson was not my only option at upgrading from the top of the rotation.

Of course my plan is not "reality". Many of the players I wanted have been signed already. That doesn't stop anyone from having the right to carry on a "what if" discussion.

99% of players will sign with the highest bidder, unless the differential is very small. My offer of $24M/3 is significantly higher than what he got at $15.5M/2. Maybe he wouldn't have taken that offer, but stop pretending you know what he is thinking based on him uttering something about preferring not to play on the east coast. Many a player has said similar things and then signed to play in those areas.

1) I don't believe everything I read, and there is ample evidence to support why no to.

2) I have read several times that AZ was looking to trade Upton- YES HE WAS AVAILABLE!

3) Of course we match up. The issue was that Ben did not want to part with the players AZ wants or didn't want to try involving a third team. You and I do not know how close we came to getting Upton. For all we know, it might have been a garin Cecchini away from a done deal.

In general, this is a Sox discussion board where people come to discuss their ideas, debate their merits, and critique the moves made by our GM. I don't see why it upsets you so much that someone disagrees with you (and Ben), and unlike most posters critical of Ben, I offer specific alternative plans that may or may not have ever had any chance of happening. It's not like I was making silly softy offers like Jake and any prospects not named Bradley & Barnes for Upton. Most of my offers have been more criticized for being too much to offer rather than too little.

You can choose to believe that because Oakland said they are not going to trade Anderson, no deal could ever pry him away. You can choose to believe that we could not trade with a 3rd team to provide what AZ wanted for Upton. You can choose to believe whatever you want about McCarthy, but I still do not think it was unrealistic to think we could have made all 3 of these things happen, make a few other key role player signings and been better on paper than we are now, especially looking at 2014 and beyond. Quite frankly, I am shocked at how so many Sox fans have drank the Kool-Aid and actually think any of these signings are geared towards helping us in 2014 & 2015, and please, the argument that it is helpful that these guys will be gone by 2014 or 2015 is laughable. They are not helping us continually improve, and that concept was what should have been adhered to after a last place finish: not stop-gap measures that provide a sham of serious competitiveness.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

Hey Moon, a couple of quick questions.

Between all the time you spend researching material and stats for your many novellas and the time you spend posting here, when do you sleep?

Who does your laundry?

Do you have time to eat?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hfx, I respect your opinion and I think yourself, Beantowne, and Spaceman are the reason for the success of this board.  You wake up most morning*/*l*s and comment on the posts of others, adding to the debate.

When Jasko used the term whiner I came back with Kool-aid.  I wouldn't consider myself or Moon as whiners in the Andrewbytch, Allibie, Bosoxfan1941,..mold.  We are both just disappointed with the direction of our club.   Theo, Henry, and co will long be gone and we will still be pulling for the Sox.

As to being drunk on my own intelligence, you can only debate in your own style.   791, 571, Notin, JoeB, and others are obviously brighter than Carfardo and Mazz, should they hide it?

When posters write that the FO knows more than the fans I worry.  I and many, many others thought BobbyV, Crawford, Lackey, Smoltz, Penny, Lugo,...were bad moves before a game was played!  I started a few OPs about Henry getting in over his head in buying Liverpool which so far has been a disaster. 

There is no reason for the average Sox fan to be obsequious to the current FO, their recent track record is poor.

Well said, and I think people have forgotten how I defended Ben for over a year, including the big trade with the Dodgers. I called it one of the best "paradigm shattering trades of all time".

I'm not a poster that is in constant dissent with management, in fact, I have been one of the most optimistic Sox fans over my years on this board. Now, I am critical over a few months of negative criticism, and it is like a wolfpack attacking me.

Guys, this is a discussion board. Do you really want everyone agreeing with everyone else and singing Kum-Bye-Ahh? I'm not a troll. I am not saying my opinions to inflame others. I can't help it if some have become inflamed, but that is not going to stop me from stating, that in my opinion, we have taken the wrong track and could have done better. I'm OK with people disagreeing with my alternative suggested plans, but some are acting like I should just shut up or stop giving specifics of my ideas if they think they are not "reality based". I could easily make the point that a large amount of Ben moves supporters are the ones not based in reality. We are now one of the highest paid team again and have 25:1 odds at winning. Sorry, if I don't leap for joy at that fact, and the fact that the recent signings do nothing to improve our chances of getting better in 2014 over 2013.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Moon, a couple of quick questions.

Between all the time you spend researching material and stats for your many novellas and the time you spend posting here, when do you sleep?

Who does your laundry?

Do you have time to eat?

I semi-retired at the age of 48. I moved away from Maine 8 years ago (to Texas via Mexico), I miss the baseball chatter with my friends and relatives, so I find enjoyment here discussing what I love ... the Red Sox.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

What I find an using is when people say the RS plan A was xyz. As if they actually know the inner workings of the RS Or any team never mind what a player wants to do.

like trading for Lee.... Didn't his wife not want to come to Boston...what has changed To think he'd accept a trade to Boston?

Moon I agree with the every one agreeing it is about the ones who are all about "my way or you are an idiot" posters. As well as the ones who have definitive posts like they work for the sox. As well as making comments that do not jive with the stats or facts.

however I believe the short term moves have been done to do the following:

create a good clubhouse aatmosphere keep all the kids and let them mmature

build the minors by keeping all the draft pipicks 

and field a competitive team that if all works right can win it all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Moon I agree with the every one agreeing it is about the ones who are all about "my way or you are an idiot" posters. As well as the ones who have definitive posts like they work for the sox. As well as making comments that do not jive with the stats or facts.

I don't disagree with anything here. I just happen to think we could have planned better for 2014 and beyond. Keeping the kids was step 1, but I really don't see any signing that looks to help us much at all in 2015, while 2014 is sketchy at best.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

Well said, and I think people have forgotten how I defended Ben for over a year, including the big trade with the Dodgers. I called it one of the best "paradigm shattering trades of all time".

I'm not a poster that is in constant dissent with management, in fact, I have been one of the most optimistic Sox fans over my years on this board. Now, I am critical over a few months of negative criticism, and it is like a wolfpack attacking me.

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I've generally agreed with you over the years, and have learned more than a few things from you.  While this winter you've been less positive than in the past, that doesn't mean you've joined the whiner brigade, it means you are less positive about the next team than the past few.  One would think that was obvious!  Frankly, your opinion has more value than that of the constant whiners because you don't always complain about everything.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't disagree with anything here. I just happen to think we could have planned better for 2014 and beyond. Keeping the kids was step 1, but I really don't see any signing that looks to help us much at all in 2015, while 2014 is sketchy at best.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the 1- and 2-year deals certainly will provide budget flexibility for 2015 and as the rest are only 3-years deals of possibly tradeable resources I don't see much of an impact.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moon, I've generally agreed with you over the years, and have learned more than a few things from you.  While this winter you've been less positive than in the past, that doesn't mean you've joined the whiner brigade, it means you are less positive about the next team than the past few.  One would think that was obvious!  Frankly, your opinion has more value than that of the constant whiners because you don't always complain about everything.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I am feeling myself getting a little more optimistic as time goes by. I think my expectations may have been set too high after we wiped the slate clean with the Dodger trade (and no, my expectation was not to go all out to win in 2013, but rather to improve on the way to a brighter 2014 and 2015...).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I believe it is the kids that will make 14 and 15 work. If they work out if not then the plan goes to more FAs. Victorino for 3 years fills either an OF spot if Jake leaves or a kid fails. Drew does the same at SS and if the kid works he is a good back up at all Inf positions. Ross is the back up catcher who can help Lavarn grow since I still see a trade happening. Napoli is just a good option for DH, 1st and C for 3 years. Dempster brings a maturity to the staff that has been missing since guys like Curt, Pedro and even Varitek retired.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

Now, I am critical over a few months of negative criticism, and it is like a wolfpack attacking me.

[/QUOTE]

If I am part of this wolfpack, I apolgize.  Nothing but respect from me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now, I am critical over a few months of negative criticism, and it is like a wolfpack attacking me.

[/QUOTE]

If I am part of this wolfpack, I apolgize.  Nothing but respect from me.

[/QUOTE]

The respect is mutual. No, you are a lone wolf... just kiddin'  :)

Sections
Shortcuts