Sox sign Naps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Sox sign Naps

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/01/red-sox-to-sign-mike-napoli.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: Sox sign Naps

I think Naps' hip issue is worse than I thought.  Well we will once again have the opening on the 1B next season.  I hope Naps proves he's healthy and productive this year so that the Sox can offer him the qualifying offer for a draft pick and put either Bogaerts or WMB in 1B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Oh well...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Can't really complain about an one year deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

I think Naps' hip issue is worse than I thought.  Well we will once again have the opening on the 1B next season.  I hope Naps proves he's healthy and productive this year so that the Sox can offer him the qualifying offer for a draft pick and put either Bogaerts or WMB in 1B.

I would say the Sox had to concede on the Qualifying Offer but perhaps leave open an incentive--perhaps $13 M guaranteed if he has 550 + AB's or some other offensive number.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Oh well...

That sounds like a complaint--I was expecting that reply and more from Softy. Come on now.

A one year deal--perhaps when the details are released we'll see some stronger support.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

this is a good thing. a 1 year deal is no biggie and at this point he is playing for his reputation (damaged goods) as well as his career. Definitely will add some extra motivation (AKA the adrian beltre effect) for him to play well this year and cash in as a top 1B next year if all goes well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I dont think either WMB or Bogy will be at 1b. But yeah, we will be involved in 1b discussions next offseason as well. Maybe they will take Kris Bryant in the draft and at least have a solid 1b prospect who projects to be a solid MLB player.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

I dont think either WMB or Bogy will be at 1b. But yeah, we will be involved in 1b discussions next offseason as well. Maybe they will take Kris Bryant in the draft and at least have a solid 1b prospect who projects to be a solid MLB player.

i could see WMB and XB at 1B in the coming years. especially if one of their defensive games isn't up to snuff. they certainly will have the bat to be a 1Bman (at least WMB does because he is proven at the MLB level. )

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i could see WMB and XB at 1B in the coming years. especially if one of their defensive games isn't up to snuff. they certainly will have the bat to be a 1Bman (at least WMB does because he is proven at the MLB level. )

I guess they could play 1b if taught the position. I just dont see either one playing there. But thats just me. If I had to choose, Id say WMB over Bogy to play 1b. I see Bogy as a power bat with AS numbers in LF, ala Manny.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Good. Sox now have a right handed power bat but are not saddled with a 3 year contract. Everyone should be happy, especially the old school fans. Just like the good old days, a player got a one year deal and has to prove himself.

However, this will put a crimp in the forum discussions. What will we talk about now?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

The Sox refused to go three years 39 mil.. Because of health issues. They finally got  Napoli to settle for one year... At 39mil......Sox management is not going to let players get the best of them........Way to go ... Keep up the good work.

I would say the Sox had to concede on the Qualifying Offer but perhaps leave open an incentive--perhaps $13 M guaranteed if he has 550 + AB's or some other offensive number.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

These 1 year deals are stop gaps so when the players from AAA are ready then they can contribute. This deal doesn't saddle them with an outrageous contract. If he doesn't produce he'll be gone. I like his bat and it is tailor made for Fenway. now won't have to worry about him terrorizing the Red sox. do it to the Yankees. i'm glad they're not signing players to those ridiculous 7 year deals like Theo used to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the Sox did real well getting this done with a One Year deal.....Napoli will definitely be playing with Incentive. I also think it is key to remember that though this Hip injury may have shown up in Medical exams, it is not an injury that had ever sidelines Nap. Sometimes people can have damage and have no noticable ill effects from it...it probably has affected his mobility and speed, which he doesnt have much of anyway.....but if it doesnt bother him when he is playing, there is no reason to expeect just because our Doctors found this injury, it should make him any less of the player he has been the past 3 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

If this is official, then it's a good thing...as Napoli is a significant upgrade to Gomez and the 1B market is virtually depleted now, especially with Morse being moved to Seattle.

Get a backup LHH 1B with a decent glove and they'll be OK for 2013. Since they appear to be looking for a 1B/OF type then that rules out Kotchman and Overbay as possibilities.

Names I heard as possibilities were Carp and Moss, but Moss may not be available either.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just heard its 1yr 5M...Ehat a steal for the Sox!!! even the BC haters have to like this one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1488991-mike-napoli-and-boston-red-sox-reportedly-agree-on-1-year-contract

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

Just heard its 1yr 5M...Ehat a steal for the Sox!!! even the BC haters have to like this one.

Agree...the incentives must be easily achievable I would assume. But even if he gets to 15m it is a great deal for the sox. Reaching that would mean he had a full productive yr, which will help the team on the field, and also get them a comp pick out of it in 14... Nice hand of Texas hold em played by Big Ben, wouldn't you say?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

I'd be amazed if it's for that low of an amount!

Napoli will certainly have icentive to produce, if he can stay healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeFoyFan. Show JoeFoyFan's posts

From 3 yr/$39 mil to 1 yr/5 mil plus incentives! Makes you wonder what, exactly, is wrong with his hip(s)?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

The problem with this deal is that Naps has agreed to take 1yr $5M deal.  This proves how bad his hips are.   But the bright side is we saved few million dollars which can be used efficiently. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:

Agree...the incentives must be easily achievable I would assume. But even if he gets to 15m it is a great deal for the sox. Reaching that would mean he had a full productive yr, which will help the team on the field, and also get them a comp pick out of it in 14... Nice hand of Texas hold em played by Big Ben, wouldn't you say?

I hardly doubt they have 10M worth of incentives. maybe up to 8-10M. But yeah, good deal for the Sox. Kinda like Beltres deal. Make good 1yr deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

The problem with this deal is that Naps has agreed to take 1yr $5M deal.  This proves how bad his hips are. 

Not really....it just PROVES that he has A hip issue. And with coming off a down year he now has to restablish that he can be productive with the injured hip, however severe it may be. If he didn,t think he could be productive he would of jump all over the rangers extension offer. Beltre had to restablish himself and it worke d out fine with him. Same thing with drew this yr...

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts