Sox sign Naps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: Sox sign Naps

That's a GREAT deal for the Sox.  Very much like the Beltre deal a few years ago.  Naps is a good guy as it's been said that he is very good in the clubhouse.  This is a HUGE win for the Sox.  We get a player that can play 1st, give us some Ortiz protection and can play catcher every once in a while.  You gotta figure he will work SUPER hard to get those incentives and raise his value next year.  If he gets injured then it costs us no more than a Gomes......

Of course....with all of that said I'm sure the negative Sox 'fans' will still find a way to b!^ch about it.  Of course most of them said that they would ONLY accept a one year deal under $10mil....I can't WAIT to hear what they have to say now.....  Let me guess... "if he's such damaged goods that they went from $39 over 3......then they just blew $5mil for nothing...."  Or my favorite "We should have traded for Upton!!!!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i liked the napoli signing...im ok with this kind of money and no long term committment...laRoche was only a two yr deal its not like that wouldve been the long term solution either...but you do have to wonder about his health....oh well...hope we trade our surplus catchers and ellsbury for a very good starter

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

i liked the napoli signing...im ok with this kind of money and no long term committment...laRoche was only a two yr deal its not like that wouldve been the long term solution either...but you do have to wonder about his health....oh well...hope we trade our surplus catchers and ellsbury for a very good starter

After all the crying you did?

You're a joke...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Good deal.  Better than signing a player for four years to 10 years like A-Rod, soon to be often injure prone player Pujols, etc.  If Napoli have a good healthy year at the same time if Papi didnt, then Boston can sign Napoli a long term contract to bat DH.   So right now Boston have a nice flexibility on how to build a team for the 2014 season.

For WMB or Bogerat to play 1B, I wouldnt care who go there.  Just hope Boston find a way to move people around unlike they couldnt do it for Jeff Bagwell when he was in the farm system.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to LR3683paw's comment:

So what is the 2013 payroll total now?

Can't assume any change at this point, because if Napoli stays healthy he still gets $13 million.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2012/12/13/still-money-to-spend-red-sox-payroll-2013-15/

Think around 170MM  depending how the abritration cases goes!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Also read that he had 2nd & 3rd opinions on his hip and they all agreed with 1st...  So it does sound like there are real issues there and he didn't have much leverage.

Also read that it's similar to A-Rods hip issue (don't remember where I saw it), so he might end up having to have surgery eventually also.

That might be a big reason it's 1 year and a low guaranteed amount.

Hopefully he makes it thru the entire year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

By my calculations they are at 108,237,000 not including arbitrations, Which is well under the luxury tax. The Red Sox still have room to play with.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Geo, I hope you can reflect a little on your criticism of the protracted nature of the Napoli negotiations and maybe concede that Cherrington is not the complete buffoon you love to paint him as.  It took this long because Cherrington was playing hard ball to get a cheap one year deal given the damaged goods.  Napoli camp didn't want to accept this, hence the length of negotiation.  But they came around, as they had to.  Nice work Ben.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Glad We Signed Him, 5 Mill 1Year  And Most Likly 5 To 7 Mill Incentives, Yes Big Drop In Pay But I See 30Hr And A Lot Of New Dents On The Monster, Welcome Aboard Naps.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Only 1 year and $5 million guaranteed is worth the wait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Well, I'm not a huge Napoli fan but at least it's one year instead of three. Hopefully with the transition to first base instead of catching Napoli will be able to produce better. Still hope Gomez gets some starts at 1B though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

How do incentives factor into the luxury tax?  Is it final poyroll paid or does sombody determine whether the incentives are "easily achiveable"?  Would like the incentives to be based on PA's if at all possible, to make sure the Sox have the flexibility to not play him due to non-performance as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

To me this says that BC and the RS medical have definately learned from the past.  It says that the RS just aren't going to cave in to pressures from anyone.  Good Job to Ben.  I certainly hope that Naps has a hugh year and I hope he hits all the incentive milestones, that only means good things to the RS year.  Still have time now to go and get 1 front line pitcher. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to never1954's comment:

To me this says that BC and the RS medical have definately learned from the past.  It says that the RS just aren't going to cave in to pressures from anyone.  Good Job to Ben.  I certainly hope that Naps has a hugh year and I hope he hits all the incentive milestones, that only means good things to the RS year.  Still have time now to go and get 1 front line pitcher. 

Agreed, but I don't think there will be a "front line pitcher" arriving anytime soon as they feel the rotation is set for now.  I think you'll see them bring in a lefty bat who can play first and ideally, the outfield.  Then you'll see some "depth guys" for the rotation, some minor league deals for positional depth and they'll be ready to go...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Really?

Please re-read your opening post from the "Worst Move by Cherington" thread. ..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Really?

Please re-read your opening post from the "Worst Move by Cherington" thread. ..

Yeah......I agree....he has been one of the most vocal in regards to how stupid a move Naps was.....but give the guy some credit.  After all of the complaining he did about it....at least he has the guts to admit that it turned out ok and now makes sense.  There are a lot of other people here who would have made up a different stubborn/ridiculous arguemnt just so they wouldn't have to admit that things changed.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Just read another source say that incentives could being it up to $11 mil.

Actually its up to 13M.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Actually its up to 13M.

With That He Will Come To Play For Sure, Also Heard The Rangers Offerd More But Not The Playing Time...........

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Actually its up to 13M.

With That He Will Come To Play For Sure, Also Heard The Rangers Offerd More But Not The Playing Time...........

I read that too. The Sox would give him more guarenteed AB's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

TIme to throw our support behind the new Red Sox!  

Five mill plus incentives up to 13?

Here's a guy that will have to prove himself...just the opposite of CC .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:

How do incentives factor into the luxury tax?  Is it final poyroll paid or does sombody determine whether the incentives are "easily achiveable"?  Would like the incentives to be based on PA's if at all possible, to make sure the Sox have the flexibility to not play him due to non-performance as well.

Luxury tax figures aren't determined till the end of the year.  By then Napoli's actual 2013 salary including incentives will be known and that's the figure that will be used.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Theres no way anyone here cant like this deal. Even the ones that cant stand BC and/or Napoli

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

Theres no way anyone here cant like this deal. Even the ones that cant stand BC and/or Napoli

I'm looking forward to the pop ... But if he does as well as Adrian Beltre in rehabbing his image, those guys who were against him will then hound BC for not making a stronger commitment...

Nap pop!   :o)   

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Can't really complain about an one year deal.

Unless it's really degenerative and he does nothing or spends the year on the DL.

Sections
Shortcuts