Sox sign Naps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Re: Sox sign Naps

did the sox still outbid themselves?

Guy's probably a "tweak" from carving his name on the bench.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to 86redsox's comment:

Relax.  And one of the tweeters says Texas offered more money than the Sox did.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

This is a good signing since the Sox were not going to give Sands or Gomez a chance at first base.

Napoli is more likely be healthier at first base than he would have been if he was going to be asked to catch many games.  His fielding at first base as he spends less time behind the plate to the point where he will be at least adequate and probably not need defensive replacements late in every game as he knows now that his career is only going to continue as a first baseman.

He is a professional hitter, who if healthy in 2013,  will provide 20-30 HRs, hit .260-.280 and drive in 85-100 runs.  If he achieves these numbers he will be well worth the $5 M plus whatever the incentives are.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I didn't think you could have a contract with such a high bonus.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Just heard its 1yr 5M...Ehat a steal for the Sox!!! even the BC haters have to like this one.

I don't think even georom will be able to b!tch about this deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Just heard its 1yr 5M...Ehat a steal for the Sox!!! even the BC haters have to like this one.

I don't think even georom will be able to b!tch about this deal.

I thought he'd get $8M. 

It's a good gamble, I guess.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

For this to happen, Napoli has to be in bad shape for the market to reject him like this. Assuming the incentives are such that he has to play at least 130 games to move off the 5 million, it comes down to whether he's physically fit enough to play a season of MLB at a solid level as a frequent starter. I have my doubts, but will wait and see if it was a desperation move or competent baseball business move.

Even with Napoli, Cherry made a mistake not picking up Loney for a cheap 2M and one year with an option for a 2nd cheap year.

I'm still waiting on the Ellsbury trade and the end to the absurd notion of Shane in RF and 23 million for one year of Shane and Ellsbury.

Loney? Seriously? Just when I thought you couldn't possibly get more absurd, you top yourself. Maybe you should stick to politics and leave baseball discussions to the adults.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

To your question:  No.  Rangers offered him more money.

To your assertion:  Yes maybe he is.  But the risk is ok at 1y/5m.

Good situation.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

i have no problm with this contract but im not sure space how this makes ben look good...from 39 mil to 5? maybe softy's wheelchair is in order..lol

Good situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

i have no problm with this contract but im not sure space how this makes ben look good...from 39 mil to 5? maybe softy's wheelchair is in order..lol

Good situation.

Geo, i didn't suggest that this makes ben look good.  Neither here no there.  But, you were shouting to the high heavens about how bad the protracted Napoli negotiations was proof positive about what an incompetent idiot he is.  Not the case.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

I think it is pretty safe to assume that the reason it took so long to settle had nothing to do with Ben (other than retracting the original offer after looking at his physical results) and everything to do with Napoli, whom you cannot blame.  It appears that Sox ended up offering Napoli a rather unfavorable deal and Napoli was the one who balked and waited and tried to do better, probably with the Sox blessing, as in:  "if you can get a better offer, then take it."

I am surprised at this deal, being so far from the one originally agreed upon.  The Sox brass must have spent a good deal of effort on making Napoli see their offer as both fair and in no way an indictment of his skill and dedication.  This must have been a very tricky tightrope (stroking his ego and making him feel wanted while offering him such a low guarantee and so much in incentives) to walk for Ben.  He deserves kudos for closing this deal...even if you think every last one of his other deals was garbage.

It also speaks to Napoli's makeup as well, IMO.  I cannot see Ortiz, for example, accepting such a change in offers.  Ortiz gets disrespected when the Sox offer him MORE than the prevailing league value for DH simply because they refused to offer him a longer term deal (for fear he will break down yet again--a reasonable assumption at his age and considering his most recent injury).  In the end, I know that Ben and co. offered Ortiz more than they wanted to just to avoid PR problems.  But they stuck to their guns with Napoli, and surprisingly he accepted (for whatever reasons he thought were advantageous to him).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

TIme to throw our support behind the new Red Sox!  

Five mill plus incentives up to 13?

Here's a guy that will have to prove himself...just the opposite of CC .

Theres no way anyone here cant like this deal. Even the ones that cant stand BC and/or Napoli

Smart move. One year deal loaded with incentives. That is the way to handle a player who might miss a lot of time: let HIM assume the risk of his injury and do not hog tie the franchise for future years when it might become relevant again. Glad our GM held out and did not cave in on this one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

And I hope that every fan will welcome Napoli and wish him only the best.  The guy took a hometown deal for a team that isn't at all his hometown.  Even if he gets hurt, his contract is reasonable...since it is set up on the assumption that if he gets hurt the Sox thought he was worth a $5 million dollar gamble.  That's not on Napoli.  If he plays well, then the Sox get the performance they thought was worth the qualifying offer and got it.  Napoli deserves only support and well wishes, IMO.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Theres no way anyone here cant like this deal. Even the ones that cant stand BC and/or Napoli

Smart move. One year deal loaded with incentives. That is the way to handle a player who might miss a lot of time: let HIM assume the risk of his injury and do not hog tie the franchise for future years when it might become relevant again. Glad our GM held out and did not cave in on this one.

Guess what I read a short while ago?  If he misses time on the DL DUE TO THE HIP, he gets $5 million.  But if not, he gets the $13 million agreed to early on.  So if he goes on the DL for any other reason, apparently, the SOx pony up the top dollar ....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Now he can get his LH 1b/OF and some pitching depth...Both of which will be easily obtained. BC get an A+ on this negotiation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

And I hope that every fan will welcome Napoli and wish him only the best.  The guy took a hometown deal for a team that isn't at all his hometown.  Even if he gets hurt, his contract is reasonable...since it is set up on the assumption that if he gets hurt the Sox thought he was worth a $5 million dollar gamble.  That's not on Napoli.  If he plays well, then the Sox get the performance they thought was worth the qualifying offer and got it.  Napoli deserves only support and well wishes, IMO.

agree totally.  i think, from all reports, he was surprised at the mri results.  couldn't have been easy for him.  however Ben handled it, glad he was patient and gave Napoli time to accept the reality of the situation.  hope it works out for both parties.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

So where do you think Naps fits in the lineup? Cleanup? 5th?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Guess what I read a short while ago?  If he misses time on the DL DUE TO THE HIP, he gets $5 million.  But if not, he gets the $13 million agreed to early on.  So if he goes on the DL for any other reason, apparently, the SOx pony up the top dollar ....

I think thats fair. Players assume the risk for KNOWN injuries, but its not fair to penalize players for things that happen by chance on the field. I don't think any team has ever been able to pull that off-docking pay for injuries suffered during the season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

For this to happen, Napoli has to be in bad shape for the market to reject him like this. Assuming the incentives are such that he has to play at least 130 games to move off the 5 million, it comes down to whether he's physically fit enough to play a season of MLB at a solid level as a frequent starter. I have my doubts, but will wait and see if it was a desperation move or competent baseball business move.

Even with Napoli, Cherry made a mistake not picking up Loney for a cheap 2M and one year with an option for a 2nd cheap year.

I'm still waiting on the Ellsbury trade and the end to the absurd notion of Shane in RF and 23 million for one year of Shane and Ellsbury.

Other than you not liking Ellsbury why is it an absurb notion to pay two outfielder 23 mill? This is like when you thought Ellsbury should be the fifth OFer behind Cameron and Darnell McDonald? Just pure silliness.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

agree totally.  i think, from all reports, he was surprised at the mri results.  couldn't have been easy for him.  however Ben handled it, glad he was patient and gave Napoli time to accept the reality of the situation.  hope it works out for both parties.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!   Give him the benefit of the doubt and support him til your lungs bleach in the August sun!!!!

GO SOX!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Sooooo.... Whadda we do next? How about a LH-hitting 1B/OF?

Mike Carp?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So where do you think Naps fits in the lineup? Cleanup? 5th?

I would say 4th, right behind Ortiz.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts