Sox sign Naps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Sox sign Naps

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to SinceYaz's comment:

TIme to throw our support behind the new Red Sox!  

Five mill plus incentives up to 13?

Here's a guy that will have to prove himself...just the opposite of CC .

Theres no way anyone here cant like this deal. Even the ones that cant stand BC and/or Napoli

Smart move. One year deal loaded with incentives. That is the way to handle a player who might miss a lot of time: let HIM assume the risk of his injury and do not hog tie the franchise for future years when it might become relevant again. Glad our GM held out and did not cave in on this one.

Guess what I read a short while ago?  If he misses time on the DL DUE TO THE HIP, he gets $5 million.  But if not, he gets the $13 million agreed to early on.  So if he goes on the DL for any other reason, apparently, the SOx pony up the top dollar ....

I think thats fair. Players assume the risk for KNOWN injuries, but its not fair to penalize players for things that happen by chance on the field. I don't think any team has ever been able to pull that off-docking pay for injuries suffered during the season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

For this to happen, Napoli has to be in bad shape for the market to reject him like this. Assuming the incentives are such that he has to play at least 130 games to move off the 5 million, it comes down to whether he's physically fit enough to play a season of MLB at a solid level as a frequent starter. I have my doubts, but will wait and see if it was a desperation move or competent baseball business move.

Even with Napoli, Cherry made a mistake not picking up Loney for a cheap 2M and one year with an option for a 2nd cheap year.

I'm still waiting on the Ellsbury trade and the end to the absurd notion of Shane in RF and 23 million for one year of Shane and Ellsbury.

Other than you not liking Ellsbury why is it an absurb notion to pay two outfielder 23 mill? This is like when you thought Ellsbury should be the fifth OFer behind Cameron and Darnell McDonald? Just pure silliness.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to michaelsjr's comment:

In response to parhunter55's comment:

And I hope that every fan will welcome Napoli and wish him only the best.  The guy took a hometown deal for a team that isn't at all his hometown.  Even if he gets hurt, his contract is reasonable...since it is set up on the assumption that if he gets hurt the Sox thought he was worth a $5 million dollar gamble.  That's not on Napoli.  If he plays well, then the Sox get the performance they thought was worth the qualifying offer and got it.  Napoli deserves only support and well wishes, IMO.

agree totally.  i think, from all reports, he was surprised at the mri results.  couldn't have been easy for him.  however Ben handled it, glad he was patient and gave Napoli time to accept the reality of the situation.  hope it works out for both parties.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!   Give him the benefit of the doubt and support him til your lungs bleach in the August sun!!!!

GO SOX!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgomez. Show bgomez's posts

Sooooo.... Whadda we do next? How about a LH-hitting 1B/OF?

Mike Carp?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

So where do you think Naps fits in the lineup? Cleanup? 5th?

I would say 4th, right behind Ortiz.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I loved the idea of a healthy Napoli for 3-39. I like the idea of a not so healthy Napoli for 1-5 plus 8 if his hip holds up. A little concerned that Napoli being a tough guy will play through injury. Little concerned about how the hip affects other parts of the lower body listening to ARod and other injured hip people. For example, wonder if Napoli's quad injury last year was really the hip messing with the quad. So would like to find out precisely how the incentives are written.

With that being stated, I love guys in contract years. And I love Napoli's bat.

As for Napoli only being on a one year deal, this opens up 1st base for 2014. In free agency, there is Morneau, Morales, and Morse. However, I am really hoping that a month from now, Jose Abreu finds his way to a cab and sneaks himself to a lawyer.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

Good Q Trip7, Myself Behind Ortiz To Start, If Ortiz Slumps Naps CleanUp...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Napoli is not a good pick up - even for 1 year.

Hate the signing - I absolutely hate it.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Triumph-'s comment:

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

who cares?

Hmmm

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to 56redsox's comment:

Good Q Trip7, Myself Behind Ortiz To Start, If Ortiz Slumps Naps CleanUp...

Thats what myself, and probably most, are thinking. Cleanup or 5th depending on production. My guess is he will start in the cleanup spot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

You hate everything....if you weren't such a miserable git about everything you would be taken more seriously. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Other than you not liking Ellsbury why is it an absurb notion to pay two outfielder 23 mill?

Because one is a 2nd rate CF'er in decline and the other is a 2nd rate CF'er who seldom plays and was embarrassing when he did play the last half of 2012. 23 million for 2 CF'ers is incompetent.

This is like when you thought Ellsbury should be the fifth OFer behind Cameron and Darnell McDonald?

No, I though that Ellsbury should be traded. When it was clear the fan favorite prima donna wasn't going to be traded, I wanted Cameron and his 7.5 million a year cost platooning with Drew and Ellsbury. Of course, Ellsbury was more fragile than the old end of his career Cameron was.

Now, you've been on this board blowing up Ellsbury for years. The guy is a loser, and has been a loser his entire baseball career. No, he was not a starter or a difference maker off the bench in the last weeks of the 2007 season. Since he was named a position player starter on opening day 2008, the Red Sox have been a lower baseball team.

But, it's time for you to give the specifics on what you are going to do to retain Ellsbury. Tell the readers why you want him retained and how much you will pay to make sure you are the winning bidder for his FA contract.

Management hangs on to Ellsbury because of pink hat fans. With Shane, which made zero sense, they have their final chance to include Ellsbury in a trade that will make the Red Sox better. If not this winter, they will get next to nothing and/or he'll thankfully become the problem of another team for his final years in his baseball thirties.

This post is full of revisionist history. You can't deny what he did in the playoffs in 2007. You cant deny that he was one of a few players in September 2011 trying. He almost willed the Sox to win the last game of the season. You have disliked him since he rpelaced Coco Crisp. You made multiple racism comments directed at Ellsbury in the past. You are fraud who changes his tune whenever it works for you. You lack very basic logical

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Other than you not liking Ellsbury why is it an absurb notion to pay two outfielder 23 mill?

Because one is a 2nd rate CF'er in decline and the other is a 2nd rate CF'er who seldom plays and was embarrassing when he did play the last half of 2012. 23 million for 2 CF'ers is incompetent.

This is like when you thought Ellsbury should be the fifth OFer behind Cameron and Darnell McDonald?

No, I though that Ellsbury should be traded. When it was clear the fan favorite prima donna wasn't going to be traded, I wanted Cameron and his 7.5 million a year cost platooning with Drew and Ellsbury. Of course, Ellsbury was more fragile than the old end of his career Cameron was.

Now, you've been on this board blowing up Ellsbury for years. The guy is a loser, and has been a loser his entire baseball career. No, he was not a starter or a difference maker off the bench in the last weeks of the 2007 season. Since he was named a position player starter on opening day 2008, the Red Sox have been a lower baseball team.

But, it's time for you to give the specifics on what you are going to do to retain Ellsbury. Tell the readers why you want him retained and how much you will pay to make sure you are the winning bidder for his FA contract.

Management hangs on to Ellsbury because of pink hat fans. With Shane, which made zero sense, they have their final chance to include Ellsbury in a trade that will make the Red Sox better. If not this winter, they will get next to nothing and/or he'll thankfully become the problem of another team for his final years in his baseball thirties.

Would you be happy with:

1. Ells traded for two AA prospects( any team)? Would this yes be because money has been saved??

2. Trade Ells even up for Coco Crisp?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

I loved the idea of a healthy Napoli for 3-39. I like the idea of a not so healthy Napoli for 1-5 plus 8 if his hip holds up. A little concerned that Napoli being a tough guy will play through injury. Little concerned about how the hip affects other parts of the lower body listening to ARod and other injured hip people. For example, wonder if Napoli's quad injury last year was really the hip messing with the quad. So would like to find out precisely how the incentives are written.

With that being stated, I love guys in contract years. And I love Napoli's bat.

As for Napoli only being on a one year deal, this opens up 1st base for 2014. In free agency, there is Morneau, Morales, and Morse. However, I am really hoping that a month from now, Jose Abreu finds his way to a cab and sneaks himself to a lawyer.

Completely agree.  Great post.  Dont forget about Napoli in the 2014 free agent class.  If he stays healthy and dings 30, we may be talking about a 2 yr contract for him starting in 2014 :)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:

You hate everything....if you weren't such a miserable git about everything you would be taken more seriously. 

Again - just not true.  There have been some good moves in the off season, for example  manager, bullpen. 

When Napoli is gimping around the clubhouse and batting .215 - all the supporters of the signing are going to say "if he was only healthy, how great he would be!"

You'll be one of the buffoons saying that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You cant deny that he was one of a few players in September 2011 trying. He almost willed the Sox to win the last game of the season.

He didn't "almost will" anything except a prima donna baseball team with lazy and aloof player leadership, which included him.

You have disliked him since he rpelaced Coco Crisp.

In fact, I stated that Crisp needed to be traded because of contract value.  

You made multiple racism comments directed at Ellsbury in the past. Y

No, I never made any statements that said his race was inferior to another race. Since you grew up during the propaganda federal identity politics era, you don't even know what race is or what racism is. Let me give you an example of a racist statement from a mixed race demagogue:

They get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them

ou are fraud who changes his tune whenever it works for you. You lack very basic logical

In fact, you failed to provide the details on how you plan to retain Ellsbury through his FA which starts in several months. You also failed to make your case why he should be retained and not traded.

It is you who are a fraud under the cover of one tune that is promoted on this site. It's no surprise that you resorted to ad hom and failed to address the baseball questions asked about a baseball player coming to the end of his disappointing Red Sox career that was touted as a HOF career with various comparisons to Ted Williams, Ichiro, Damon et al.

HGH and the departure of AGon makes Ellsbury's FA  at 30 year old plus value at base 7 and 3 years, but the Red Sox are now saddled with the embarrassing contract to Shane (his value is only in CF). The Red Sox have the far superior value in Bradley, Jr, who will never be as popular as Ellsbury, even though he will be a better defensive CF'er at the OF position where defense is more important than offense. 

The Red Sox should have traded Ellbury long ago, but they certainly should trade him this winter as currency in a package to net J. Upton with an extension for J. Upton.

You are blind and foolish then. 32 HR, 8 in September, one in the final game. That was much better than anyone on team in each of those 3 catergories. He is not a prima donna. He os quiet and gets along with everyone expect for maybe Youk. You make it seem like he misssed time for a cough. You have said things like he is no Jim Thrope or he would look good in an Indians uniform. You use a quote that is not racist, claiming to be a victim not to seem racist. For the love of God it would take the most convoluted trade in history for your pipe dream. On top of Upton is not that good and has attitude issues. Keep digging your hole deeper.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

. On top of Upton is not that good and has attitude issues.

A racist comment, de facto. The reality is that J. Upton is "that good" at age 25. The reality is that Ellsbury is not that good, at age 30. The reality is that the work record shows J. Upton shows up for work and Ellsbury has problems showing up for work. Last season was an embarrassment, after that long time off to make sure "he was 100%".

Those who work with J. Upton have said he is a hard worker who is a perfectionist. They say he has a great attitude.

Ellsbury is an aloof prima donna who is one of the remaining veteran clubhouse cancers for a labor force that has been paid nearly a billion dollars and has produced zero playoff wins in nearly a half a decade. Beckett's gone, and Ellsbury will, thankfully, soon be gone.

Yet to see your plan to reatin Ellsbury, or your justification for paying he and another 2nd rate CF'er 23M for 2013.

9 Million dollars for Ellsbury is a steal when BJ Upton is making 15 million and Pence is making 13. It is a below value rate. Victorino while having the ability to play CF, is better corner options. For the next couple he has value because he can play multiple OF position can allow the Red Sox to be more creative with the bench. You don't like and he is Native Hawaiian, Stevie Wonder could see this trend.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

For 5M, if we get 120 games 20HR and 80RBI from Naps, Ill be fine with that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

J. Upton is a steal at the same price as Ellsbury. Better, he is a perfect for the long term. Shane is a lousy value as a corner OF'er.  Shane's value isn't good at CF, but that's where it needs to be. I could care less what the feds say he is. I only care that he's old, in decline, as his former employers wanted to get him off the payroll. Stevie Wander can check that box on the federal census, with help. 

You would make you team worse just to feel better about the Victorino signing? Now that is silly!  He was pending FA on a team going nowhere of course they would move him. So he isn't Native Hawaiian? You should let him and his family know.

Sections
Shortcuts