Sox sign Naps

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox sign Naps

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

J. Upton is under contract for years. The Red Sox do not have a single top flight OF RH hitter. No, it's not platoon Johnny.

You seem to have a problem understanding that Ellsbury and his draft compensation would be a large part of the trade currency. One is 25 and under contract for year, the other will be 30 and will be gone after this season. Comparing numbers from the NL and AZ to the AL and Fenway is utter nonsense.

I've never said Ellsbury was "injury prone". I've said he is a pretzel and a prima donna. And he is. Without a doubt, the reason to trade him is that he will report to work because he wants a big FA contract. The Red Sox need to sleep in the CF bed that is 13 million a year on the great Shane.

Large part of trade currency? You have tried to trade him for everyone you could even going so far as emailing Carfardo and cry about how he was not included in the Gonzalez deal.  He is 25 and is going to make 40 million the next 3 years. He is not cheap. He is not an All-Star build your line-up around type of righty. He is a righty JD Drew. To give away Ellsbury and a couple prospects for is a waste. If you wanted to say trade Ellsbury for pitching you have a much better plan. You are telling me that one year of Ellsbury, an extra pick, a couple of prospects, and any 15 million dollar OFer in 2014, 2015 isn't better than Upton. Just remember 280/20/80 is all you are getting.

No one has said Ellsbury is a prima donna. Yet there are article about Upton not getting along with his manager and complaining about being benched after going 4 for 28.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2012/06/05/20120605arizona-diamondbacks-justin-upton-sits-again.html?nclick_check=1

Most importantly, if he vetoed a trade to the Mariners, why would not do the same if Boston trade for him?

Its a very flawed trade proposal at best. AZ doesnt need, nor WANT another OF'er. They have too many, but he doesnt want to hear it because his hate for Ells screams louder than plain old common sense.

What Seattle gave him would be equal to...Bogy, one of Barnes/RDLR, Morales, WMB.

They could care less for a comp pick who MIGHT amount to something when they can get MLB proven talent along with prospects that are within a year or so away from MLB.

All that and like you said. Boston is on his no trade list.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Then quit suggesting that AZ would cherish the comp pick they would get for taking on Ellsbury. They already have 5 OF'ers as it stands right now. Try coming up with another trade thats a bit more realistic and for someone that doesnt have us on their very limited no-trade list.

If this comp pick is so valuable, then the Sox should just let him play out his final season, offer him a QO and take the pick themselves. Most players seem to overperform in their walk years before their first, and in this case, probably his only big contract...We would get more value from Ells' production than anything we would get, or have been offered so far in return for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Its a very flawed trade proposal at best. AZ doesnt need, nor WANT another OF'er. They

The trade market isn't limited to "what AZ doesn't need".  At best, it's very flawed to pay Ellsbury and Shane 23 million a season.

Big market teams are on the no-trade list for contract extension leverage.

The Red Sox will get next to nothing for Ellsbury, which is the way it should be. Without a doubt, incompetent management buys high, sells low, and reacts to it's own failures in utilizing the trade market and player development.

I can't think of a better example of management incompetence, other than Crawford and Ellsbury, than Ellsbury and old Shane at 23 million.

So if the draft pick is worthless for the Sox but extremely valuable for another team? Ellsbury at 9 million is a good value, 13 million for Victorino is a bit of an over pay. You can't make it seem like a packaged deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The Red Sox were the onlly team trying to sign Napoli - I wonder why?

It might have something to do with hitying .227 last year while falling apart physically. 

This is a false solution at 1B.  A false solution is worse than no solution because it fools you into thinking that a problem is solved.

I would rather have Carlos Lee for one year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:

It might have something to do with hitying .227 last year while falling apart physically. 

This is a false solution at 1B.  A false solution is worse than no solution because it fools you into thinking that a problem is solved.

He had a 812 OPS last year and Carlos Lee had a 697 OPS. So Carlos Lee is a lot worse than Napoli. If you are playing first base you should have an OPS over 700.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Then again, you're not going to be confused with anyone who has the slightest clue anytime soon, either...Drink your orange juice, think happy thoughts...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Your baseball acumen is just off the charts. Maybe the Sox should have hired you instead of promoting Ben.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

And jsyk Texas was trying to sign Napoli and actually offered him more money than the Sox did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

And jsyk Texas was trying to sign Napoli and actually offered him more money than the Sox did.

You believe that Napoli took less money to play for the Red Sox?  You actually believe that? 

napoli batted .227 last year and is falling apart physically. 

Lee hit over .280 and actually plays.

When Napoli is batting .191 and injured - we can revisit what a great signing this was.

But please - he did not accept LESS money to play in Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You believe that Napoli took less money to play for teh Red Sox?  You actually believe that? 

napoli batter .227 last year and is falling apart physically. 

When Napoli is batting .191 and injured - we can revisit what a great signing this was.

Lee hit 9 HR in over 600 AB. Napoli hit 24 in about 400 AB. Lee didn't produce last year at all. BTW He hit 264 last year.

Napoli did take less money, but though he would play more in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

You believe that Napoli took less money to play for teh Red Sox?  You actually believe that? 

napoli batter .227 last year and is falling apart physically. 

And you know this how? WEEI and ESPN were both reporting that he did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

You believe that Napoli took less money to play for the Red Sox?  You actually believe that? 

napoli batted .227 last year and is falling apart physically. 

Actually SG he did. Boston could offer him more playing time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I know this because Baseball players always go for the most money.

Cracks me up when people think that Napoli said "I want less money because I've always loved the Red Sox"

Players aren't fans.  They go for the cash.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cracks me up when people think that Napoli said "I want less money because I've always loved the Red Sox"

Players are also very competetive and want to play, not sit on the bench half the year. Naps would be doing just that in Texas.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

He went for the playing time. You know the thing that is going to get him more money next time around.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

This eight-month post resurfaced  ...  why?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I said...

"Oh well"

and then...

"I guess it was a good gamble."

It probably was a good gamble, but it looks like he will get $12-13M, not the $8M/1 I thought he deserved.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts