Sox still not a contending team

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Sox still not a contending team

Even if the Napoli signing becomes official our team hasn't improved their OBP or SP enough to move up in the standings much.  Without Napoli it probably has us jumping on a Adam LaRoche who in my opinion won't produce very good numbers in the AL. 

Ben may be protecting our top prospects but in the meantime the fans will continue to suffer without better "long term" solutions.  These aging pitchers/cast offs and platoon guys are just that, guys that add to depth but not enough to help a mediocre team like ours.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Sox still not a contending team

Its funny how people are saying this isnt a cpontending team. Some of the same people, if I remember correctly, were saying we were a 100 win team the year we collapsed too...

How about we let them play the games, then decide. Unless some like putting the carriage before the horse, then nevermind...

I didnt think the A's or O's were either this year...How'd that work out?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In other news, still only December 16th....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

At this point, let's see how the team performs on the field. 

During the offseason last year, the Angels made the biggest splash but they did not even make the playoffs.  The Oakland A's won the AL West despite a $55 million payroll, five rookie pitchers, and a rookie OF who defected to the U.S.

Who knows?  The 2013 Boston Red Sox might become the 2012 version of the A's or O's. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Edgarpost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Is it realistic to expect that we will be a contending team this year.  Of course anything can happen. Look at what Baltimore, Atlanta, and Oakland did last season. Las Vegas has all of the experts who decide the odds. Some posters should decide if we are in a rebuilding year or a bridge year and then reduce their expectations. For some reason those who think that we will come in last place are acting like we should come in first place.

[/QUOTE]

I didn't expect first place or even want us to shoot for the moon this winter to try and get there. I did expect that the players we signed would be players that would be on the upside by 2014 or one year bridge players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

So they got some nice chips and they've kept their valued chips--what has to be done in the next four months.

Start to identify roles:

Who catches

Who plays 1 B.

Who plays SS

Who's in CF

Who Closes

Without Nap the 1 B and C are in question.

Personally I'd rather see Bailey have to earn the Closers role--otherwise sign Soriano.

Drew is a nice player but Ciriaco and Iggy can play the position very well defensively.

I would like to see additional gets: two of--Swish, Soriano, Marcum, Dickey(before the Jays get him). A Cy Young pitching in the NL East--a no Brainer Ben.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Even if the Napoli signing becomes official our team hasn't improved their OBP or SP enough to move up in the standings much.  Without Napoli it probably has us jumping on a Adam LaRoche who in my opinion won't produce very good numbers in the AL. 

Ben may be protecting our top prospects but in the meantime the fans will continue to suffer without better "long term" solutions.  These aging pitchers/cast offs and platoon guys are just that, guys that add to depth but not enough to help a mediocre team like ours.

[/QUOTE]

Its all about the pitching. If Lester / Buchholz / Lackey all have solid yrs and Doubront makes next step, which could be a simple as cutting down on his walks, then Dempster gives us 200 ip and 12-15 wins the RS will be in the hunt for playoff spot. But those are a lot if ifs!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

Some people must have one hell of crystal ball. Predicting the future already, yes i will also say it is only December. On paper a team can look great, so far what i see on the sox roster is a 3 year build.

Next year will be an difficult prediction. The players on the team will want something to prove.
     The positive attitude is what i am seeing so far on this roster. Their will be remaining players from last years roster wanting to redeem themselves, for the new signings will be players with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove something. This looks like a medicore team that can actually gel together and make something happen.

Papi, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Lackey and Ped injuries last year if healthy will be playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Gomes and Napoli will be a positive attitude in the dug out.

Iggy and Ross will be the defensive minded players.

Victorino is some extra speed in the line up.

Dempster was not first choice but can avg. 180 to 200 innings

Lester, Buch and Doubront will be unpredictable but better with Farrell managing

The bull pen will be a better improvement than last year

Salty if his SO's decline, he will knock in more runs then last year

Overall I feel better that this team will have lower expectations then the previous 2 years of high expectations.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to boborielly224's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Some people must have one hell of crystal ball. Predicting the future already, yes i will also say it is only December. On paper a team can look great, so far what i see on the sox roster is a 3 year build.

Next year will be an difficult prediction. The players on the team will want something to prove.
     The positive attitude is what i am seeing so far on this roster. Their will be remaining players from last years roster wanting to redeem themselves, for the new signings will be players with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove something. This looks like a medicore team that can actually gel together and make something happen.

Papi, Ellsbury, Middlebrooks, Lackey and Ped injuries last year if healthy will be playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Gomes and Napoli will be a positive attitude in the dug out.

Iggy and Ross will be the defensive minded players.

Victorino is some extra speed in the line up.

Dempster was not first choice but can avg. 180 to 200 innings

Lester, Buch and Doubront will be unpredictable but better with Farrell managing

The bull pen will be a better improvement than last year

Salty if his SO's decline, he will knock in more runs then last year

Overall I feel better that this team will have lower expectations then the previous 2 years of high expectations.

[/QUOTE]

What make syou think the pitching will be better with Farrell managing? Seems to me that the staff ERA increased when he was pitching coach.