Sox still perform above expectations, butLester has to shape up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

Sox still perform above expectations, butLester has to shape up

Lackey, Dempster, and Felix look great. We absolutely need a healty Buch and a competent Lester to stay solid. That is the statement of the obvious. My point is that the back end of our rotation keep up the great work. We really have to worry about TB as they have won 11 of 12 in the presence of empty seats.

A reliable reliever is a must with the trade deadline  approaching. Who really cares how muvch money it costs? The problem is a deal will cost us some prime prospects. It is a catch 22 problem. What do theSox do? Ben  has shown me that he is every bit as good as Theo.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Sox still perform above expectations, butLester has to shape up

Ben has not shown that "he is every bit as good as Theo." The Sox have not had a strong 2nd half under Cherrybomb yet....any team can have a great 1st half of season.

I am not sure the proper word for Dempster is "great."

Of course the Sox need to "worry" about Tampa Bay. The way the last few seasons have gone , can they really afford not to?

Who really cares how much a reliable reliever costs?...well, maybe you and I don't but it's not our money, is it?...the problem , as you say, is not the cost in terms of money. It is the cost in prospects. The Red Sox cannot use a knee jerk reaction to a successful 1st half and deal away valuable young players ( like the ones who are helping Oakland be successful) in an attempt to construct an effective bullpen.

Seriously, is there ever any guarantee that a top-notch reliever will not self destruct once he gets a Red Sox uniform on?...remember Gagne?

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Reddick is hitting .219, with 4 HR.  32 RBI.  OPS of like .650.

He has been crap since last year's all star break.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

It could be entirely possible that Lester will trend down and the Sox will keep rising in spite of him. He's not an ace - but he can contribute if he pitches deep into games helps rest the pen. 

As always - 100% correct!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

It could be entirely possible that Lester will trend down and the Sox will keep rising in spite of him. He's not an ace - but he can contribute if he pitches deep into games helps rest the pen. 

As always - 100% correct!

yeah Exactly, Lester is what Lester is.  People what to complain that he isn't an ace anymore well then guess what? maybe he just isn't an Ace anymore as long as he is good enough to contribute in the rotation then it is what it is.  Of course this has to come with saying that some kind of move needs to come to strengthen the top of the rotation...Now maybe that is a deadline trade, an Offseason trade, or maybe a prospect busts throught the door next year but that's a whole new conversation.  Maybe Lester continues to trend down, maybe he is past is prime and is able to pitch as good as he is now and be a servicable #3 #4 for the next 5+ years....or maybe he reinvents himself in a year or two.  It is what it is

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Lowrie is batting .302....Moss has 16 HRs.....Coco is batting .267 with 34 RBIs.

Reddick may be batting only .219, but he has 32 RBIs, proving that he has had some clutch hits.

These 4 former Red Sox are a big part of the Oakland A's success.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Lowrie is batting .302....Moss has 16 HRs.....Coco is batting .267 with 34 RBIs.

Reddick may be batting only .219, but he has 32 RBIs, proving that he has had some clutch hits.

Z -- What is your point on these guys -- especially Moss. Don't want to put words in your mouth but you seem to be implying that the Sox shouldn't have traded these guys.

Moss was part of the Bay trade. Bay was great for the Sox, Moss did nothing for the Pirates. Overall, Moss is a .247 career hitter. HIs best year was last year 21 HR, 52 RBIs and  a .296 BA in 84 games. This year with the same number of games played and PAs so far, yeah, he does have 16 HRs but he's batting .233 and has an OBP of .314. Why should we care what he's doing when there's nobody on the Sox whom he'd supplant in the lineup.

Same with Reddick. He has 32 RBIs and is batting .339 w/RISP. So he has 19 clutch hits in 66 PA, otherwisehe's been crp. He's batting .219 with an OBP of .301 and just 4 HRs (none w/RISP). I don't want him in RF. So regardless of what Bailey does, I'd rather have Victorino offensively and defensively. Last year, Reddick hit just .206 w/RISP, so despite HRs, he was hardly cluch. 

And while I like Crisp, I'd rather Ellsbury in CF. 

So again -- why the angst over three players who couldn't crack the Red Sox lineup?

EDIT: Forgot about Lowrie. I always liked him but he's 29 and this might be the first year he cracks 100 games played. With Middlebrooks' struggles, Lowrie would be a good UT guy to have but it did  reach a point where the Sox had to move on from him. The Melancon trade didn't work out but Lowrie's hardly a game-changer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from boboinfla. Show boboinfla's posts

At one time we discussed that WMB was the key to the Sox this year. Not! I will say Lester and Ells are the 2 keys. Boras ayways shop his FA. We have to give him Crawford money. LA has benefited only on AG and everyone knows the guy would hit. The fact that LA threw in 2 young pitchers may very well be a difference maker in the future.

As far as Ben is concerned, I cannot fault him for anything he did in the last 8 mos. or so. Now the pressure is on to see if he can help the team.

boboinfla

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

As far as the OP is concerned, I agree. The Sox need bullpen help, regardless of whether it comes from outside or inside. You don't give up a major prospect of course, but there's nothing wrong with a mid-level prospect.

I'm always cautious about trading prospects because I hate to loose a future stud, but at the same time you can't be paralyzed at the notion of making the wrong decision and end up making not decision.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OK.  Yes.  They are big contributors to Oakland's success.  If the point is that the Sox would be better with these guys, it can only be made in a vacuum.  Would I like a do over on the Bailey trade?  Sure.  But we needed a closer then.  Melancon?  Nah.  Shoulda held on to him instead of trading for Bailey-lite and Lowrie hadn't played one healthy season for the sox prior to that trade.  Crisp?  Where would he have played?  he wouldn't have.  Moss?  Was redundant in the Sox organization and was dealt for Bay.  

You can't just hold on to every good prospect.  And, sometimes players, even if they are decent, don't fit into a roster puzzle.  

Sections
Shortcuts