sox to compete in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

sox to compete in 2013

i dont know how anyone can look at the seasons the A's & O's put together and say the 2013 sox can not contend.. the core of our players is still intact, sure we have some big holes to fill but we have the most roster and financial flexibility of any other team!

this offseason will be critical and you know ben has been thinking about moves since the meda-deal happened. i expect him to come out of the gate swinging. we have our manager and coaching staff coming together by the time the offseason officially rolls around that will be straightened out. I expect us to resign ortiz/ross so thats DH and one OF set.

still we need a 1st baseman, OF'er, SS and at least 1 starter. 4 holes i expect ben to do a great job filling.

the sox can definitely compete in 2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: sox to compete in 2013

Im with you. Ive said all along that there is no reason to think we cant or wont compete in 2013. With good health, a couple good deals and now with a manager in place, I look forward to what moves BC will make this winter.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im with you. Ive said all along that there is no reason to think we cant or wont compete in 2013. With good health, a couple good deals and now with a manager in place, I look forward to what moves BC will make this winter.

[/QUOTE]

Like last year, the key is the starting rotation.

Lester, Buchholz and Lackey have to pitch up to their potential.

Doubront has to build on his first full year in the Majors.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

There shouldn't be any bridge years in Red Sox seasons. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i dont know how anyone can look at the seasons the A's & O's put together and say the 2013 sox can not contend.. the core of our players is still intact, sure we have some big holes to fill but we have the most roster and financial flexibility of any other team!

this offseason will be critical and you know ben has been thinking about moves since the meda-deal happened. i expect him to come out of the gate swinging. we have our manager and coaching staff coming together by the time the offseason officially rolls around that will be straightened out. I expect us to resign ortiz/ross so thats DH and one OF set.

still we need a 1st baseman, OF'er, SS and at least 1 starter. 4 holes i expect ben to do a great job filling.

[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this one but everything has to fall into place. Buch and Lester have to get back to form with Doubrant improving over this year, Lackey pitching as well as possible or finding two more solid starters to build a reliable starting five. The line up is decent but needs more punch so Ells (not traded) need to stay healthy and bring back his power numbers from 2011, and as you say we need to fill the holes at 1st base, and left field. Swisher would look good in Red Sox colours. Ciriaco (not sure of spelling) can definitely field so if he can hit as well as Aviles I'd leave him at short for this year. Iggy doesn't fit well in this lineup. 

The bullpen was fine through much of last year but fell apart in the end from overwork. Morales makes a good fill in or 6th starter along with Aceves who won't have a manager to sqaubble with. Aceves should return to form. The only real need here is a closer. Many will not like this but I believe Soriano is a free agent closer who we should go after and of course Bard has to find his way back. 

All this being said barring the injury bug, this team could compete while waiting for some of the youngsters to come up in 2013-2014. 

Hetch

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bailey will be our closer Hetch...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Like last year, the key is the starting rotation.

Lester, Buchholz and Lackey have to pitch up to their potential.

Doubront has to build on his first full year in the Majors.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I believe Farrell will be very good for Buch and Lester. Im also optimistic he can fix Bard as well. Doubie finished strong this year and is very capable of giving us 15 wins. Reports are that Lackey is looking like he did a few years ago and with Farrell now in charge, once again, I think it will good for Lackey as well.

One more solid starter and we should be ok. I like what we have so far in our rotation. Go out and get some more arms for depth as well. The bullpen is fine as far as Im concerned. We actually have too many LHP and could use one in another deal.

We are not as far away as some here think. The talent is there.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

every team in the ALE can either win the division or finish last in the division next year except for the Rays whose pitching is much too good to disappear into the basement.How each team's pitching goes next year will decide everything in this division.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The goal should always be to win.  Should never just throw away a year. Life is short.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Over the past year the Red Sox have shed Adrian Gonzalez, Jonathan Papelbon, Carl Crawford, Kevin Youkilis, Josh Beckett, Marco Scutaro, J.D. Drew, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Mike Aviles, Josh Reddick and Jed Lowrie. David Ortiz is no lock to return.

That's a ton of talent to replace from a team that has finished third, third and fifth in the AL East the past three seasons, culminating in this year's 93-loss club. I wish the Red Sox well, but the team faces serious challenges.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Over the past year the Red Sox have shed Adrian Gonzalez, Jonathan Papelbon, Carl Crawford, Kevin Youkilis, Josh Beckett, Marco Scutaro, J.D. Drew, Jason Varitek, Tim Wakefield, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Mike Aviles, Josh Reddick and Jed Lowrie. David Ortiz is no lock to return.

That's a ton of talent to replace from a team that has finished third, third and fifth in the AL East the past three seasons, culminating in this year's 93-loss club. I wish the Red Sox well, but the team faces serious challenges.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly I don't think the current versions of Tek, Youk, Drew, Beckett, Wakefield and Dice are that hard to replace. You could basically bring up any AAA player and probably get more out of them than those guys were going to give us going forward. Ortiz is a lock to return at this point. Aviles, Reddick and Lowrie pretty much define the term replacement level player. Losing Gonzo and Crawford hurts more but Crawford was never going to play up to his ability playing half his games at Fenway, and IMO the Sox were paying way too much for Gonzo to play a non premium defensive position. For the Sox it is all going to come down to how good (or bad) the starting pitching is. Suffice it to say I don't see the Ms finishing ahead of the Sox in 2013.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the core of our players is still intact

Name te core player that are still intact?

Pedroia, Ortiz, and who else?

The players have been The Problem.

[/QUOTE]

I consider Middlebrooks to be a core player.

Along with Buchholz, Lester, Dubront and Bard

Now, shut up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to carnie's comment:

Honestly I don't think the current versions of Tek, Youk, Drew, Beckett, Wakefield and Dice are that hard to replace.

Jason Varitek, Kevin Youkilis, J.D. Drew, Josh Beckett, Tim Wakefield and Daisuke Matsuzaka were highly productive players the last time the Red Sox were relevant in the postseason. Their declines paralleled the decline of the Red Sox generally.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If we really "compete" in 2013, it will mean we overpaid too many FAs. There' no other way to do it, unless we totally empty the farm via trades.

2013 is not happening, folks. Let's set our sites on 2014 and beyond. Make some trades that improve us in 2013 AND BEYOND, give some kids a chance to prove themselves, and then make some more additions next winter that will position us to seriously compete in 2014 and long afterwards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:
    [QUOTE]

the core of our players is still intact

Name te core player that are still intact?

Pedroia, Ortiz, and who else?

The players have been The Problem.

[/QUOTE]

I consider Middlebrooks to be a core player.

Along with Buchholz, Lester, Dubront and Bard

Now, shut up.

[/QUOTE]

Buchholtz, Lester, and Doubront had ERAs of 4.56, 4.82, and 4.86 respectively. Bard is a lost cause until he proves otherwise. It illogical to expect that those three, now the leaders of our staff, will all improve significantly and remain healthy. Our pitching staff needs to be rebuilt with good young pitchers. If good judgement is exercised that can be done, but not in 2013. I will be happy with "progress" this year and expect to compete for the playoffs in 2014.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Unfortunately when the Sox pulled off what some of you call the "greatest trade" you fail to mention that they also gave up at least one year of contention and did a dangerous thing in putting an awful lot of money back into the pockets of the owners and only time will tell how that will work out. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Unfortunately when the Sox pulled off what some of you call the "greatest trade" you fail to mention that they also gave up at least one year of contention and did a dangerous thing in putting an awful lot of money back into the pockets of the owners and only time will tell how that will work out. 

[/QUOTE]

They can't really misspend as badly as with those 4... can they?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to traven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They can't really misspend as badly as with those 4... can they?

[/QUOTE]

I sure hope not! lol

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

who is going to pitch for us to contend next season? it cant be those clowns we have now...they are only good for 6 innings and four runs at best....we better sign some new blood

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksilvia723. Show ksilvia723's posts

In response to georom4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

who is going to pitch for us to contend next season? it cant be those clowns we have now...they are only good for 6 innings and four runs at best....we better sign some new blood

Hopefully, some or all of these guys will benefit from having John Farrell back.  They seemed to decline dramatically after he left.  Even though he's not the pitching coach, I believe his presence will restore some order to the team.  Although Lackey is another story, I don't think he will ever contribute to the team in a positive way. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 56redsox. Show 56redsox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I Agree, Napoli-1B, Delmon Young-LF, Anibal Sanchez-P, Kyle Lohse-P

Sign Ross, Sign Ortiz, Ells Stays-CF,

We Can Play In October 13, Bring In Good PC, BAT/C 3rd/BC...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If we really "compete" in 2013, it will mean we overpaid too many FAs. There' no other way to do it, unless we totally empty the farm via trades.

2013 is not happening, folks. Let's set our sites on 2014 and beyond. Make some trades that improve us in 2013 AND BEYOND, give some kids a chance to prove themselves, and then make some more additions next winter that will position us to seriously compete in 2014 and long afterwards.

[/QUOTE]

If we are not going to compete next season, why would we want to resign Papi? Why not give a young player a chance?

If the A's and O's could compete this season with the talent they had, its rediculous to think the Sox can't compete in 2013. Here is the team I would put on the field come September. If they play up to their abilities and past performance, to go along with just reasonable luck, they will win the division....

Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Middlebrooks
    Ortiz
    Napoli-Salt
    Morneau or Davis
    Hart
    Sweeney-Ross
    Bogaerts

Lester
    Lackey
    Haren or Sanchez or Peavy
    Buchholtz
    Doubront or DeLaRosa

Bailey
    Tazawa

That team is better on paper then a number of teams that made the playoffs this year. You shouldn't have to give up any major prospects to get those players. The free agents should not cost crazy money. And none of the moves sacrafice the long term stability of growing the team in the future with prospects and young players in 2014.

If we are not competing in 2013, we should not resign Papi.

Sections
Shortcuts