sox to compete in 2013

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: sox to compete in 2013

In response to kimsaysthis's comment:

I'll just say that there is absolutely no way that any well-known, well-loved personality from the Yankees will ever wear a Sox uniform. No way. Swisher is NEVER coming to Boston. So, anyone who believes that a possibility is going to be disappointed. He'll NEVER come here.

i agree 100%...and for me..i don't want him here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

I'll just say that there is absolutely no way that any well-known, well-loved personality from the Yankees will ever wear a Sox uniform. No way. Swisher is NEVER coming to Boston. So, anyone who believes that a possibility is going to be disappointed. He'll NEVER come here.

I don't want him either. But I truly believe he would retire first if his only option was Boston. He would never even consider it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

I don't want him either. But I truly believe he would retire first if his only option was Boston. He would never even consider it.

You are correct...Swisher and Boston would never happen.  He is a horrible fit for the Sox defensively and he wouldn't want to play here anyway.     

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If he was offered enough $$ he would play here IMO...With that said, he isnt a good fit here and Id rather have Ross in RF than Swisher...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Swisher should not be signed, but with a need for a 1Bman and RF'er, I fear Ben might make the wrong choice here.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Swisher should not be signed, but with a need for a 1Bman and RF'er, I fear Ben might make the wrong choice here.

personally, i like swisher. he is one of the only yankees i actually like. he always seems to have a smile on his face and looks like he would be a good clubhouse guy. I wanted him here after the mega-deal happened. but after seeing his postseason performance i'm not as confident about it. I think he would be a good fit with the team but my only worry is the contract. i mean, hes good defensively, a switch hitter and would fill multiple positions we have holes at. seems like a no brainer to me. again, the contract is the kicker for me.

lots of people were saying damon would NEVER (IN A MILLION YEARS) play for the yankees... clearly, they were wrong.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

personally, i like swisher. he is one of the only yankees i actually like. he always seems to have a smile on his face and looks like he would be a good clubhouse guy. I wanted him here after the mega-deal happened. but after seeing his postseason performance i'm not as confident about it. I think he would be a good fit with the team but my only worry is the contract. i mean, hes good defensively, a switch hitter and would fill multiple positions we have holes at. seems like a no brainer to me. again, the contract is the kicker for me.

lots of people were saying damon would NEVER (IN A MILLION YEARS) play for the yankees... clearly, they were wrong.

I don't think he fits the profile defensively at all.  The Sox wouldn't put him at first and I don't think he covers enough ground to play right at Fenway on a regular basis.  Someone is going to give him a multi year deal with decent money, although it's highly unlikely he gets anything approaching the Werth deal, which his agent is looking for.  He could certainly help the Sox, but I just don't think they'll consider him for the money it will take to sign him and he's not a good fit for a team that needs to get better defensively. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:

I don't think he fits the profile defensively at all.  The Sox wouldn't put him at first and I don't think he covers enough ground to play right at Fenway on a regular basis.  Someone is going to give him a multi year deal with decent money, although it's highly unlikely he gets anything approaching the Werth deal, which his agent is looking for.  He could certainly help the Sox, but I just don't think they'll consider him for the money it will take to sign him and he's not a good fit for a team that needs to get better defensively. 

i guess his defensive abilities is a matter of opinion. He plays first base well and while he may not have the wheels to cover the large ground fenways RF has to offer consider jacoby in center swallowing up any and everything that comes remotely close to the middle of the OF. it certainly shrinks the ground swisher HAS to cover.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

i guess his defensive abilities is a matter of opinion. He plays first base well and while he may not have the wheels to cover the large ground fenways RF has to offer consider jacoby in center swallowing up any and everything that comes remotely close to the middle of the OF. it certainly shrinks the ground swisher HAS to cover.

Fair enough, agree to disagree.  I don't think he's agood fit, but you never know.  I prefer a top defensive first baseman.  It makes the whole infield defense that much better.  As Jeter said about Texeira, after they won it in '09. "His defense was more valuable than his offense."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Fair enough, agree to disagree.  I don't think he's agood fit, but you never know.  I prefer a top defensive first baseman.  It makes the whole infield defense that much better.  As Jeter said about Texeira, after they won it in '09. "His defense was more valuable than his offense."

A strong defensive 1b is gold. Gonzo proved that for the year and a half he was here. Digging balls out of the dirt and making those perfect tosses to the pitchers covering the bag...Priceless...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If you look at the WS champs since about 1970, almost all of them had a great fielding 1Bman.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

If you look at the WS champs since about 1970, almost all of them had a great fielding 1Bman.

The Yankees won a World Series Championship in 2000, signed Jason Giambi from 2001 through 2008, then won their next Championship in 2009.  Maybe it's just a coincidence but....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Yankees won a World Series Championship in 2000, signed Jason Giambi from 2001 through 2008, then won their next Championship in 2009.  Maybe it's just a coincidence but....

I read an article a few years ago that listed all the WS starting 1Bmen and how many were great fielders.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Bump to leapfrog the softy front page invasion.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I must have missed the invasion :)  Thank God

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I think he clicked the "Add your post" button several times by mistake, but it might have been intentional.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yeah, I went to page 2 and saw a bunch of the same threads...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

So, Peavy is out of the picture. I thought he'd get about $45M/3, so maybe prices are coming down a bit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

So, Peavy is out of the picture. I thought he'd get about $45M/3, so maybe prices are coming down a bit.

kind of glad. inconsistent and injury issues. he wasnt in my top choices for pitching anyway.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ToshUK. Show ToshUK's posts

http://forums.thisisanfield.com/index.php?/topic/14996-will-fenway-sports-group-actually-sell-the-boston-red-sox-this-offseason/

It'll be interesting to see if the Red Sox will be under their present ownership (Fenway Sports Group) for the 2013 season.

There is a certain degree of conjecture that they may look at off-loading the Red Sox during the closed season, and it has been a matter of discussion on our This is Anfiled website.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

kind of glad. inconsistent and injury issues. he wasnt in my top choices for pitching anyway.

I agree, but $29M/2 was a bit lower than I expected and will be much lower (and shorter term) than what Greinke gets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i really hope that cherington does not sign swisher, that would be a huge mistake. Call up kansas city and work out a deal for butler or hosmer. They need pitching, we need a 1B, makes sense for the two teams to get a deal done. I would prefer hosmer but would take either. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I agree, but $29M/2 was a bit lower than I expected and will be much lower (and shorter term) than what Greinke gets.

Only in terms of years, Moon. 3/45 is 15 per. He got 14.5 per...Which is good for the Sox if this is a trend. Id over pay a little to bring the total years down on certain players...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

i really hope that cherington does not sign swisher, that would be a huge mistake. Call up kansas city and work out a deal for butler or hosmer. They need pitching, we need a 1B, makes sense for the two teams to get a deal done. I would prefer hosmer but would take either. 

I would take either one of those guys as well. I wouldnt give the farm up cause although somewhat proven, they are both still young as well...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Only in terms of years, Moon. 3/45 is 15 per. He got 14.5 per...Which is good for the Sox if this is a trend. Id over pay a little to bring the total years down on certain players...

I thought $45M/3 minimum. Usually I guess low, so actually I was thinking he may have gotten $50M/3 or $60M/4 max.

Sections
Shortcuts