Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla

BR reported that Padilla left winter league to come visit Boston doctor. 
    Experts think Padilla will get the chance to fight for a rotation spot if he passes physical and stays healthy.

another low cost starter. 

When will this recruiting stop??

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla

In Response to Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla:
    [QUOTE]BR reported that Padilla left winter league to come visit Boston doctor.  Experts think Padilla will get the chance to fight for a rotation spot if he passes physical and stays healthy. another low cost starter.  When will this recruiting stop??
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]
     why do you need it to stop?  It costs the team essentially nothing to try a bunch of these guys out.  And if one hits, great.  If not, no harm, no foul.  If there is no reasonable big fish out there, I am glad they are leaving no stone unturned in respect to possible reclamation projects.  Why are you so against it?

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

In Response to Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla :  why do you need it to stop?  It costs the team essentially nothing to try a bunch of these guys out.  And if one hits, great.  If not, no harm, no foul.  If there is no reasonable big fish out there, I am glad they are leaving no stone unturned in respect to possible reclamation projects.  Why are you so against it?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Where do you see that I'm so against Ben adding low cost starters?  I'm just curious Ben will do anything else besides adding low cost pitching depth. 
    Ben signed Cook(Pending), Germano, Silva, Miiler(Re-signed) already.  The point is, if you find a good one out of 3 or 4 low budget, that's awesome.  But if you find a good one out of 8 or 9, even though they are all low budget, that's quite waste and useless to me.  Ben's gotta stop right about now. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla : Where do you see that I'm so against Ben adding low cost starters?  I'm just curious Ben will do anything else besides adding low cost pitching depth.  Ben signed Cook(Pending), Germano, Silva, Miiler(Re-signed) already.  The point is, if you find a good one out of 3 or 4 low budget, that's awesome.  But if you find a good one out of 8 or 9, even though they are all low budget, that's quite waste and useless to me.  Ben's gotta stop right about now. 

Its only a waste if you dont have the resources to cope with trying them out, or if trying them out is keeping some young arm from getting a shot in camp.  I feel pretty sure that they are not going to tax the coaching staff with any more than they can handle, or block anyone from being evaluated that should be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla : Where do you see that I'm so against Ben adding low cost starters?  I'm just curious Ben will do anything else besides adding low cost pitching depth.  Ben signed Cook(Pending), Germano, Silva, Miiler(Re-signed) already.  The point is, if you find a good one out of 3 or 4 low budget, that's awesome.  But if you find a good one out of 8 or 9, even though they are all low budget, that's quite waste and useless to me.  Ben's gotta stop right about now. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE] The reason why Ben has been shopping at KMart is because Henry is forcing him to budget unlike the Theo days where he had Carte Blanche! If even one of these guys gives the Sox 170 innings or makes 55 appearences from the pen then the Sox got a steal,if they can't make the bog team then they serve as emergancy material stored safely at Pawtucket...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GARCIA1. Show GARCIA1's posts

hopefully, one of these low price spreads will pan out; it will help ease the pain of the inepstein mistake known as SLACKEY.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla : The reason why Ben has been shopping at KMart is because Henry is forcing him to budget unlike the Theo days where he had Carte Blanche! If even one of these guys gives the Sox 170 innings or makes 55 appearences from the pen then the Sox got a steal,if they can't make the bog team then they serve as emergancy material stored safely at Pawtucket... Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE] They've made it clear they'll go over budget for the right player, but there just isn't a lot of value out there. Spending 10 plus million on a Roy Oswalt type makes zero sense in this market. Giving away your top 3 prospects and going over the tax threshold for a Matt Garza makes even less sense. Their big ticket items were Ortiz, Buccholz and Gonzalez this season...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from borack. Show borack's posts

let's hope one of these low price spreads works; it'll help ease the pain of the major GM mistake known as SLACKEY.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Wake is all but gone?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla:
    [QUOTE]BR reported that Padilla left winter league to come visit Boston doctor.  Experts think Padilla will get the chance to fight for a rotation spot if he passes physical and stays healthy. another low cost starter.  When will this recruiting stop??

Why should it stop?  Low cost, no luxury tax relevance at present, some potential in each of these pitchers.  What is wrong with that?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What happened to the no knucklehead edict? Padilla is a first class jerk. I am all for no harm no foul, but no knuckleheads please.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]What happened to the no knucklehead edict? Padilla is a first class jerk. I am all for no harm no foul, but no knuckleheads please.
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

That is true.  we coulda just signed zambrano.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I'd even give Softy a chance if I thought he could pitch a bit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

My understanding is that Vicente Padilla despite his talent and propensity to be injured brings plenty of baggage with him.

He was released from the Rangers for intentionally throwing at batters and Joe Torre also had an issue with his decision making on the mound.

You can bet that all parties from Gary Tuck and Tim Bogar to Bob McClure, Bobby Valentine and Ben Cherington will gauge whether he's a fit or not. The least of concern is his physical status. I wonder what Ryan Sweeney thinks of Mr. Padilla? I'd say Vicente has two chances of being signed and one is slim.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Since none of the Sox best pitching prospects are really MLB ready, I could see another signing or two of this type.  Perhaps a Brandon Webb or Kazmir, if they want to sign a minor league deal with invitation to ST.  Four hasbeens seems about right; if one of the four makes it, you get your money's worth.  Padilla is certainly not a done deal, but MLBtraderumors sure makes it sound like it is imminent.

Still hearing that the Sox are in on Kuroda, which would really be an important signing.  All these minor league deals are like throwing spaghetti to see what sticks.  It worked pretty well for the Yankees last season.  But it has worked out poorly for the Sox, at least with Theo making the choices (Smoltz and Penny anyone?).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

when padilla is healthy the guy can pitch..i hope we sign him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]Since none of the Sox best pitching prospects are really MLB ready, I could see another signing or two of this type.  Perhaps a Brandon Webb or Kazmir, if they want to sign a minor league deal with invitation to ST.  Four hasbeens seems about right; if one of the four makes it, you get your money's worth.  Padilla is certainly not a done deal, but MLBtraderumors sure makes it sound like it is imminent. Still hearing that the Sox are in on Kuroda, which would really be an important signing.  All these minor league deals are like throwing spaghetti to see what sticks.  It worked pretty well for the Yankees last season.  But it has worked out poorly for the Sox, at least with Theo making the choices (Smoltz and Penny anyone?).
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

i wonder why we did not look into signning rich harden? we almost traded for him. why not sign him?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]when padilla is healthy the guy can pitch..i hope we sign him. Posted by raider3524[/QUOTE]

Rangers drop Padilla:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/232470-vicente-padilla-so-long-farewell-auf-wiedersehen-goodnight

I'm all for giving the guy a shot but not at the cost of adding a troubled man.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla :  why do you need it to stop?  It costs the team essentially nothing to try a bunch of these guys out.  And if one hits, great.  If not, no harm, no foul.  If there is no reasonable big fish out there, I am glad they are leaving no stone unturned in respect to possible reclamation projects.  Why are you so against it?
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

n

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to meet with Vincent Padilla : Rangers drop Padilla: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/232470-vicente-padilla-so-long-farewell-auf-wiedersehen-goodnight I'm all for giving the guy a shot but not at the cost of adding a troubled man.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with you on the baggage he brings with him.  The Rangers got tired of his head hunting tactics and seeing their own best players getting hit in retaliation for Padilla's antics and dumped him.  Nobody else has really latched onto him since.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Vincente Padilla is "getting closer" to a deal with the Red Sox, according to this tweet from Jon Heyman of CBS Sportsline:

https://twitter.com/#!/JonHeymanCBS/status/158299433673572352

Sections
Shortcuts