Sox to Promote Devers to GCL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Sox to Promote Devers to GCL

soxprospects.com reports...

The Red Sox will promote third baseman Rafael Devers to the GCL Red Sox this weekend. The news was first reported by Ben Badler of Baseball America. SoxProspects sources have indicated that the move is not official at this time and is not yet a certainty.

The 17-year-old Devers got off to a fast professional debut in the Dominican Summer League, hitting a spectacular .442/.537/.814 in his first 11 games, and finishing with a .379/.476/.636 line. He had reached base in every game but one, and drove in 20 runs. Devers leads the circuit in runs batted in and was tied for second in hits (25).

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox to Promote Devers to GCL

Also, three promoted to Salem...

Right-hander Joe Gunkel , third baseman Jantzen Witte, and catcher Jordan Weems have been called up to join the Salem Red Sox roster.

Sox4ever

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

And, my sleeper pick, Luis Diaz did well in his first start with Portland...

Portland starter Luis Diaz, a right-hander from Venezuela, was superb in six innings. Diaz surrendered only one hit and one run while striking out four on his way to his first Double-A win. Diaz was making his first start since being called up from High-A Salem.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Great you must be in Maine--tell us what you're seeing  in Henry Owen's performance last night and Sean Coyle?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great you must be in Maine--tell us what you're seeing  in Henry Owen's performance last night and Sean Coyle?

[/QUOTE]

I'll be in Maine late July to early August.

I'm going to see the Sox play the 'Stros here in Houston in mid July.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I can't wait to see Ownes again.  In his lasat 5 starts he's only given up 1 run while improving his command; allowing 2 BB/9 over that span.  Overall his peripherals this year are

5.65H/9, 3.66BB/9, and 9.31K/9

I'm intrigued by what Sean COyle is doing as well.  For some reason I always tied him and Cecchini together, possibly because they were both high school short stops taken back to back in the 3rd and 4th round in the 2010 draft.

I think Cecchini has the overall better approach at the plate, but Coyle hands down has better power and a better glove and better speed than Cecchini.  I just have this gut feeling that even though Cecchini may always have been the more highly regarded prospect that Coyle might end up being the guy with a better MLB career.

He might also be trade bait as he has some serious helium right now, and no clear path to the majors in Boston.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't wait to see Ownes again.  In his lasat 5 starts he's only given up 1 run while improving his command; allowing 2 BB/9 over that span.  Overall his peripherals this year are

I'm intrigued by what Sean COyle is doing as well.  For some reason I always tied him and Cecchini together, possibly because they were both high school short stops taken back to back in the 3rd and 4th round in the 2010 draft.

I think Cecchini has the overall better approach at the plate, but Coyle hands down has better power and a better glove and better speed than Cecchini.  I just have this gut feeling that even though Cecchini may always have been the more highly regarded prospect that Coyle might end up being the guy with a better MLB career

He might also be trade bait as he has some serious helium right now, and no clear path to the majors in Boston.

[/QUOTE]

I've always wondered why Coyle has not gotten many good reviews.  I'm not sure about the better glove. I wonder why they moved him to DH.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

[QUOTE]

I think Cecchini has the overall better approach at the plate, but Coyle hands down has better power and a better glove and better speed than Cecchini.  I just have this gut feeling that even though Cecchini may always have been the more highly regarded prospect that Coyle might end up being the guy with a better MLB career

I've always wondered why Coyle has not gotten many good reviews.  I'm not sure about the better glove. I wonder why they moved him to DH.

[/QUOTE]

They rotate guys all the time to get guys on the field, or to give them rest but continue to give them at bats.  Sean Coyle has only DH'd 13 times this year....and some of that was when he was to find his way into the lineup with Marrero and Betts doing so well in Portland.  

Here is what Soxprospects had on his defense:

" Fundamentally sound defender with a solid-average arm. Soft glove. Average range. Controls body well. Improving footwork around the bag turning double plays. Will have to watch body developing too much bulk muscle. Ceiling of an everyday regular at the major league level. Began working out at third base in 2014 spring training. Shows a solid arm at third base. Good footwork"

and in other news....it appears Devers promotion to the GCL is on hold. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

They rotate guys all the time to get guys on the field, or to give them rest but continue to give them at bats.  Sean Coyle has only DH'd 13 times this year....and some of that was when he was to find his way into the lineup with Marrero and Betts doing so well in Portland.  

Here is what Soxprospects had on his defense:

" Fundamentally sound defender with a solid-average arm. Soft glove. Average range. Controls body well. Improving footwork around the bag turning double plays. Will have to watch body developing too much bulk muscle. Ceiling of an everyday regular at the major league level. Began working out at third base in 2014 spring training. Shows a solid arm at third base. Good footwork"

and in other news....it appears Devers promotion to the GCL is on hold. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the updates. Glad to know Coyle is a decent fielder.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

The signing of Chavez is the reason for keeping Devers in the Dominican league.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Oh really is that it? Chavis is a SS and Devers is a 3B.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Devers delay in promotion is due to legal issues.

http://fullcount.weei.com/sports/boston/baseball/red-sox/2014/06/21/red-sox-minor-league-roundup-mookie-betts-game-changer-henry-owens-obscene-dominance-anthony-ranaudo-rolling-rafael-devers-stays-in-dsl-for-now/

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

soxprospects.com has Devers projected with Lowell next year. They have Chavis with Greenville.

The Salem team looks loaded, but I might move Rijo and maybe others to Portland.

Here's the 2015 projected rosters:

Pawtucket         Portland        Salem

C   Swihart/Butler  Spring/Hern.  Romanski/Weems

1b T Shaw               Chester           Sam Travis

2b Coyle                  Gragnani        W Rijo

3B Cecchini              M Martinez     J Witte

SS Marrero               Meneses        T-W Lin

LF D Nava                 de la Cruz       C Asuaje

CF Ramos                  M Johnson      M Margot

RF Hassan                 A Taverez      F Allday

DH Brentz                  J Roof             Z Kapstein

IF Herrera                 D Guerrero    J Vinicio

OF Wilkerson             K Heller         K Perkins

PAW SP: Ranaudo, Barnes, Owens, Johnson, Wright

POR SP: Augliera, L Diaz, McCarthy, Littrell, P Light

SAL SP: Callahan, Stanki, Kukuk, Gunkel, Beeks

FYI, they have the Boston 25 man roster as such...

SP (5) _______(Lester), Lackey, Buch, Workman, de la Rosa

RP (7) _______(Uehara), Mujica, Doubront, Tazawa, ______ (Miller), Webster, Britton

C (2) _________(Lava), Vazquez

1B (2) Napoli, Carp

2B (1) Pedroia

3B (1) Middlebrooks

SS (1) Bogaerts

LF (1) ________

CF (2) JBJ, Betts

RF (1) Victorino

DH (1) Ortiz

UT (1) Holt

(Note: They have Peavy listed as a "trade candidate".)

Sox4ever

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

4-4 with a 2B, 3B, walk, and 3 RBIs in his GCL debut today.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Interesting and it helps a couple of years from now, but does nothing for the disaster that is taking place this year. it's a long way from GCL to the majors.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Interesting and it helps a couple of years from now, but does nothing for the disaster that is taking place this year. it's a long way from GCL to the majors.

[/QUOTE]

He could be part of a package to land Stanton, so therefore he'd be helping us next year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Oh really is that it? Chavis is a SS and Devers is a 3B.

[/QUOTE]

Looks like Chavis is really holding Devers back in the GCL.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

He could be part of a package to land Stanton, so therefore he'd be helping us next year.

[/QUOTE]

The Marlins are not trading Stanton this year, get over it, not when they are in a playoff run.besides Larry Luchinno wants to go cheap and not pay free agents money. That trade needed to happen in the off season when major league teams did not know that Jackie Bradley Jr. Could not hit major league pitching. Boat sailed already on that trade.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

[/QUOTE]

Just calling it like it is, when people on this board get all excited over a guy in high single A. He is of no help to the club this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

[QUOTE]

4-4 with a 2B, 3B, walk, and 3 RBIs in his GCL debut today.

[/QUOTE]

It's single A guys and gals, long way to the majors as we can see from Jackie Bradley Jr. And Baeggerts.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

He's seventeen, bring him up!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

[/QUOTE]

Just calling it like it is, when people on this board get all excited over a guy in high single A. He is of no help to the club this year.

[/QUOTE]

People get excited because they like following the minor leagues and dreaming on the future.  If that isn't a topic that excites you then don't come in here and post anything about it....It's not like anyone is calling for Devers to come up to Boston and play now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Devers will get promoted to the Big Club in September, he will hit a home run in his 2nd at bat. The fans will be talking about the teen like he is Tony C. Then he will go 0-for-17 with 10 Ks and then we will all talk about how or why the Sox want to fast-track every prospect to the Majors out of some weird desperation.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Guess what!!! some people like talking about prospects.  I get that some people don't share the same love.  I don't like gardening....You don't see me going into forums and threads about gardening telling people that they shouldn't get their hopes up about their flowers blooming anytime.

....anything else we can think of to complain on these boards???

any more players to bash???

Sections
Shortcuts