Sox to Promote Devers to GCL

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Sox to Promote Devers to GCL

Name a prospect we kept down too long who when called up did so well, you said to yourself, I wish we had called this guy up earlier?

I can't think of any off hand. Maybe HanRam? He was in Portland at age 21 and was traded to Florida and had a great rookie year.

There were a few that did well right out of the box, but then fizzled (Weiland, Gabbard, Middy...), but none of these guys spent too long in the minors or ended up proving themselves to be top notch ML players.

Should we have brought up Youk earlier and benched or not gotten Millar in 2004?

Brandon Moss got a couple short looks at age 24 & 25 before going to Pittsburgh where he struggled for years. He'd never have gotten a chance to struggle that long with the Sox. It took him until 29 to do well.

Papelbon came up at 24-25, but he wasn't sure if he was a starter or closer at that time and was not that great on the farm.

Lester came up at age 22-23 and battled cancer. Should he have come up earlier?

Pedey had just 250 ABs in Portland and 600+ in Pawtucket, before coming to Boston at age 22-23. He struggled in 2006 and the first part of 2007. Nobody thought we took too much time with him, in fact the early argument was we rushed him.

Ellsbury skipped through the minors as fast as anybody and considering his first full professional season was in 2006, he was with the Sox late 2007. We fast-tracked the one that needed to be.

Buchholz came up at age 22-23. Should he have come up earlier?

Would Bowden, Lars Anderson or Kalish have made it to the bigs had we not slowed their growth by keeping them down too long?

How about Middlebrooks? Iggy? Rizzo? Reddick? Did we mess them up?

Of course a team in playoff contention most of the time cannot afford to hand a FT job to a marginal prospect or even a top prospect very often. We haven't had any Trout's or Harper's around here recently.

I think we do just about right with our kids. By holding off bringing them up, we gain prime years of team control- not developmental years on the big stage.

One could even make an argument that the one guy we fast-tracked and it worked (Ellsbury) would have given us more production had we waited until 2009 (age 25).

Yes, he helped us win a ring in 2007, but he was benched in 2008. His 2014 season is better than his 2008 season and this is the year of the pitcher.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Devers now batting .727 for the GCL Red Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Devers now batting .727 for the GCL Red Sox.

Maybe we have finally found a superstar prospect that will be fast-tracked to the bigs.

Just maybe.

2016, 2017???

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

2015!!!! Miggy was brought up when he was 19? So we will do the same!!!!! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

You can't use the exception as the argument...you guys disappoint me.  Well I would expect this from some of you.

Devers is 17 in the GCL with 16 at bats and we are talking about him reaching the majors in two years.  

we are talking 2 levels a year between Lowell, Greenville, Salem, Portland, and Pawtucket and then to Boston in two years? Moving up 7 levels in 2 years...thats actually more like 3.5 levels a year.  That is ridiculously dumb.  Lets say he starts next year in Lowell (18 years old) mashes it and gets promoted to Greenville.  He will then be 19 in Salem heck for arguments sake lets say he gets 2 promotions next year (something the Sox never do in the lower minors) he would be in Salem.  He would start the next season as a 19 year old in Portland.  Then Younger than Bogaerts and Betts, we are assuming he once again jumps 2 levels....and be a star???? that is just absurd. 

Right now Devers is facing kids, 17 & 18 year old kids who don't know how to spin a breaking ball, don't know how to command a fastball, haven't developed change-ups, don't have big league velocity, and are just trying to get it over the plate let alone pitch to a scouting report and 99% of them will never see the MLB, let alone double A.

We are talking about glorified high school baseball here, as half the kids there of highschool age. And we are talking about him playing in the MLB based off of stats in 16 at bats in the GCL, a league inferior to LOW A BALL.

The list of guys who put up video games stats in the GCL, or in highschool and never make it to the majors is a hundred times larger than the guys who do.....let alone the guys who do it in 10 years.

Now on the flip side.  Do players reach the majors that quickly? does it happen? it is rare but YES it does happen.  And if it did happen would a kid be putting up numbers like this early in his career, yes yes he would.  But at this point with this small a sample size that would be like saying John Smith won the lottery last year a sunny day....today is sunny so if I buy a lottery ticket I must win the lottery.  DO we see the ridiculousness in the ideal that Devers will reach the majors in 2 years???

Is it plausible? yes....but it is INSANELY unlikely and completely unfair to assume at this point. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If Devers reaches the majors by 2018 he will be 21 and one of the youngest guys in the league. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

If Devers reaches the majors by 2018 he will be 21 and one of the youngest guys in the league. 

Certainly we should not expect or plan on Devers to be a significant part of the 2017 or 2018 ML team. 

Could he end up being fast-tracked like Betts? Sure, but our near future team-building plans should not include Devers. They should not even include a lot of 22-25 year old prospects either. Give some rookies a chance to earn significant roles on the big club, but let's avoid this year's mistake of thrusting 3 youngsters (JBJ, Bogey & Middy) into FT roles with no adequate replacements for them, if they fail or struggle. We even lucked out with Holt becoming an excellent "replacement", and still, look where it got us.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Devers and Trey Ball named soxprospect players of the week.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2014/07/players-of-week-630-76-trey-ball-rafael.html

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I can't wait to see Ownes again.  In his lasat 5 starts he's only given up 1 run while improving his command; allowing 2 BB/9 over that span.  Overall his peripherals this year are

5.65H/9, 3.66BB/9, and 9.31K/9

I'm intrigued by what Sean COyle is doing as well.  For some reason I always tied him and Cecchini together, possibly because they were both high school short stops taken back to back in the 3rd and 4th round in the 2010 draft.

I think Cecchini has the overall better approach at the plate, but Coyle hands down has better power and a better glove and better speed than Cecchini.  I just have this gut feeling that even though Cecchini may always have been the more highly regarded prospect that Coyle might end up being the guy with a better MLB career

He might also be trade bait as he has some serious helium right now, and no clear path to the majors in Boston.

I've always wondered why Coyle has not gotten many good reviews.  I'm not sure about the better glove. I wonder why they moved him to DH.

Coyle "like Betts" was a 2B moon, they moved him to 3B and he had mixed results so he sounds more like a Brock Holt type right now if he can hit at higher levels. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

I can't wait to see Ownes again.  In his lasat 5 starts he's only given up 1 run while improving his command; allowing 2 BB/9 over that span.  Overall his peripherals this year are

I'm intrigued by what Sean COyle is doing as well.  For some reason I always tied him and Cecchini together, possibly because they were both high school short stops taken back to back in the 3rd and 4th round in the 2010 draft.

I think Cecchini has the overall better approach at the plate, but Coyle hands down has better power and a better glove and better speed than Cecchini.  I just have this gut feeling that even though Cecchini may always have been the more highly regarded prospect that Coyle might end up being the guy with a better MLB career

He might also be trade bait as he has some serious helium right now, and no clear path to the majors in Boston.

I've always wondered why Coyle has not gotten many good reviews.  I'm not sure about the better glove. I wonder why they moved him to DH.

Coyle "like Betts" was a 2B moon, they moved him to 3B and he had mixed results so he sounds more like a Brock Holt type right now if he can hit at higher levels. 

He's back at 2nd base mostly now.  Compared to Holt, a lot more strike outs balanced out with a lot more pop. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

He's back at 2nd base mostly now.  Compared to Holt, a lot more strike outs balanced out with a lot more pop. 

I agree, Coyle doesn't seem to be in our future plans at the moment without a change in position he can hold down adequately.  Like Middy, Cecchini, Holt and others he has limited all round skills.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Nice to se Ball might be getting it together

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Agreed - He has no shot of getting to the majors until 2018 at earliest. He was in the Dominican Summer league, and now GCL. He will probably start next year in the GCL until Lowell starts. They won't put an 18 year old kid in Greenville.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Agreed - He has no shot of getting to the majors until 2018 at earliest. He was in the Dominican Summer league, and now GCL. He will probably start next year in the GCL until Lowell starts. They won't put an 18 year old kid in Greenville.

Wendel Rijo played at 18 and so did Xander Bogaerts.

I think your right....that would be the more normal path for someone his age GCL, then off to Lowell but they have had kids skip Lowell and move straight to A ball.

Honestly I think it all depends on how he looks the rest of the year.  If he cools off a bit, there's a good decent chance he goes the GCL/Lowell route, but if he hits close to as good as he is right now I wont be surprised if he goes straight to Greenville. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Wendel Rijo played at 18 and so did Xander Bogaerts.

I think your right....that would be the more normal path for someone his age GCL, then off to Lowell but they have had kids skip Lowell and move straight to A ball.

Honestly I think it all depends on how he looks the rest of the year.  If he cools off a bit, there's a good decent chance he goes the GCL/Lowell route, but if he hits close to as good as he is right now I wont be surprised if he goes straight to Greenville. 

They have had kids skip Lowell, but in most cases high draft choices either college players or advanced high schoolers, but minimally.

Kris Bryant started off in Boise for the Cubs, but didn't last there long before shipping him to Daytona.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Devers after 14 ABs in the GCL:

.643/.688/1.214/1.902

Sox4ever

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Couple by couple...

Greenville stars:

Jantzen Witte  .330/.418/.554/.972

Carlos Asuage .311/.399/.548/.947

Salem:

Reed Gragnani .325/.424/.429/.853

Mike Miller       .344/.420/.402/.822

Portland:

Sean Coyle  .338/.413/.586/.999

Travis Shaw .305/.406/.548/.954

Sox4ever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

Devers has been playing professionally since last year. He is however quite promising! He is a very good hitter. Also he is only 17 and he could very well wind up at Lowell this season, of course it depends upon performance. He was tearing the cover off the ball in the DRL before being promoted to GCL. It is entirely possible he is the one of a kind kids. Devers could just play his way to the big show earlier than anyone expects.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:

Devers has been playing professionally since last year. He is however quite promising! He is a very good hitter. Also he is only 17 and he could very well wind up at Lowell this season, of course it depends upon performance. He was tearing the cover off the ball in the DRL before being promoted to GCL. It is entirely possible he is the one of a kind kids. Devers could just play his way to the big show earlier than anyone expects.

Where did Devers play professionally last year???

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Interesting. I wonder if he will get traded or if he becomes the next Puig.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

Interesting. I wonder if he will get traded or if he becomes the next Puig.

Puig was signed as 21 year old and immediately came stateside.   Devers signed as a 16 year old.  One is an outfielder, the other an infielder who may move to 1B.

if we are going to throw Latin American comps around Id say Miguel Sano would be a much better one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Guess what!!! some people like talking about prospects.  I get that some people don't share the same love.  I don't like gardening....You don't see me going into forums and threads about gardening telling people that they shouldn't get their hopes up about their flowers blooming anytime.

....anything else we can think of to complain on these boards???

any more players to bash???

Devers has a long way to go defensively like many youngsters so its pretty difficult to tell where he may end up.  17 years old is a great age to figure it out for our FO because we do have a lot of needs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He's still young enough to learn 3B well. At some point a move to 1B may be in the cards, and as of right now, it looks like both 3B and 1B will be open by the time he is ready.

Sox4ever

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to AL34's comment:

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

In response to AL34's comment:

Interesting and it helps a couple of years from now, but does nothing for the disaster that is taking place this year. it's a long way from GCL to the majors.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Just calling it like it is, when people on this board get all excited over a guy in high single A. He is of no help to the club this year.

People get excited because they like following the minor leagues and dreaming on the future.  If that isn't a topic that excites you then don't come in here and post anything about it....It's not like anyone is calling for Devers to come up to Boston and play now.

[object HTMLDivElement

AL34 got tired of complaining about the pro team, so he needed more space for his whinging.

I understand he has now signed onto the hot dog thread to complain about the vendors.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

DEVERS takes a large jump in the prospect rankings and moves up to #4 on the Soxprospect.com rankings. 

http://soxprospects.com/

Sections
Shortcuts