Sox to sign Vincente Padilla

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla

Sonics,

you wouldn't/couldn't bust way over the threshold at the trade deadline.  You get the last 2 months of a players contract at that point.  Even two or three trades for higher priced, soon-to-be free agent types would qualify as going over by a bit.

And, if going over by a bit would cost many millions in the future, wouldn't massively busting it cost many, many, many millions in the future?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla:
    [QUOTE]And, if going over by a bit would cost many millions in the future, wouldn't massively busting it cost many, many, many millions in the future?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

No it wouldn't.  The reason for staying under the limit this year, is that it resets the tax rate for future seasons.  It doesn't matter if they pass the limit by $1 or $50M, the tax rate would still jump to 50% instead of resetting to the lower limit (I believe 15%).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

[QUOTE]I am so tired of hearing about what the Yanks got out of Colon and Garcia last year. How many cases are there of teams getting that kind of production out of two reclamation projects at the same time? Plus, they only went that route after being rebuffed by Lee, despite making the most lucrative offer for him. Then they made a concerted effort to get Felix. And, by the way, if it was such a smashing success then why didn't they repeat the same strategy themselves this year? The truth is that the Sox FO appears to have decided to prioritize resetting the tax rate this season over winning. If Bobby V can work miracles with cast-offs then great. Otherwise we'll just sacrifice the season and give up a year of the primes of Gonzalez, Pedroia, Ellsbury, etc.
    Posted by cgmiles75[/QUOTE]
    You sound like an NY Giants fan before this season started. Best receiver Steve Smith had signed w/Eagles & Kevin Boss w/ Raiders. GM Jerry Reese had not signed anyone and was being grilled cause Eagles had signed a dream team [kind of like RS last off season] and were on the way to the Super Bowl. Sometimes funny how things turn out.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla : No it wouldn't.  The reason for staying under the limit this year, is that it resets the tax rate for future seasons.  It doesn't matter if they pass the limit by $1 or $50M, the tax rate would still jump to 50% instead of resetting to the lower limit (I believe 15%).
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Yes it would, because you've spent all those many more millions and are now paying 50% (although I think that the Sox would not jump that high) on top of that.  150% of 10 million is 15 million.  150% of 50 million is 75 million.  That IS many, many, many more millions (60 to be precise)!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla : At least his health issues are not his arm, shoulder or elbow.  I think this is definately a wise move on Ben's part.  I have a great deal more confidence in Padilla panning out than either Cook or Silva but time will tell.
    Posted by william93063[/QUOTE]

this is exactly how i feel also...padilla better than cook or silva...i hope cook can come back...i like the guy...but padilla is a good signning.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Padilla once had a good arm, but it's a little surprising in light of last year's clubhouse "issues" that the Sox would want a guy who's been roundly hated by his teammates, managers, and coaches as a cancer wherever he's been. Maybe he'll just shut up and pitch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Sox to sign Vincente Padilla:
    [QUOTE]From MLBtraderumors.com http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/red-sox-to-sign-vicente-padilla.html
    Posted by npmalk[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I can't get excited over another career 5 runs per game guy in his AL career.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would suggest to Ben stay away from Oswalt and Jackson unless you first move Youk, Ells and Beckett---that LT is incredible--Oswalt's $8 would be $11.2---Kuroda's $10 with the Yanks was $14. 

Imagine what they could buy in Filene's for Beckett's $18 M? We could go on a Billy Beane shopping spree and pick up a few back-ups and another arm oh and with Ells' savings we could get Ankiel at a bargain maybe wait for Cody Ross to lower his demand and Scottie when you get Mr.Jackson down to a neighborly figure we may be able to talk--let's say $5 M a year--see you all at the Filene's Bargain Basement. The Goodwill Store and the local thrift shop have some nice accessories like the bullpen staff and the batting practice pitchers--Mr.JH and LL we see them when the LL Bean, Abercrombees and the Gap re-sale items are dropped off. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]Sonics, you wouldn't/couldn't bust way over the threshold at the trade deadline.  You get the last 2 months of a players contract at that point.  Even two or three trades for higher priced, soon-to-be free agent types would qualify as going over by a bit. And, if going over by a bit would cost many millions in the future, wouldn't massively busting it cost many, many, many millions in the future?
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Par, I wasn'ts specifically referring to busting it at the trade deadline, I meant to say if we busted it at all we should bust it big.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Re the millions in the future, if we busted it at any point the money spent would hopefully give us a fair return now and/or in the future; the problem with busting it at all is the huge additional future cost of the luxury tax all of which is dead money.  Which is why I think the Sox will hold the line this year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sox to sign Vincente Padilla : Do you and AL34 just get back from the Pensacola Bocci Ball Tournament?
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

Hey - I think my old man is in this pic

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

could be good for Sox if he's calmed some, guess they could live with the rep for plunking people, the worry might be his penchant for escalation...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Another low-risk high reward pickup by the sox, not bad not bad. With not to much money to work with Ben has really done a solid job. I hope at least one of these guys can chuck innings this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GhostofTito. Show GhostofTito's posts

Great! A 35 year old fat man with a crummy attitude.
    Nice going Ben! You're making Theo look great, which is very hard to do.